Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:36 am

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) 
Cinematographer

Post Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013)
What appears to be the year's first blockbuster arrives next Friday in the form of Oz: The Great and Powerful. Now, obviously, there are some risks associated with filming a prequel to an established Hollywood classic, so this film looks like it will really have to vie for critics to admire it. It has a talented cast and some fairly mesmerizing, albeit repetitive, trailers and TV spots. That being said, do you think that it will end up being a hit, or will it end up with mostly negative reviews?

I will say that I am very excited to see it. I will be attending a press screening of it tomorrow and wanted to know what you guys might think.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013)
The cast is good, but the trailers have not impressed me one bit and Raimi's last film was a total dud, so i'm going to pass on this one.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a hit or not, it could make money or it could flop, I'm guessing the reviews are going to mixed.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:00 pm
Cinematographer

Not sure if I'm going to venture into the theater for this one. I have a lot of goodwill towards Sam Raimi, but I don't like the CGI-heavy look seen in the trailers. Especially coming from someone with a history of using practical effects to spectacular effect, the fashioning of a digital world that draws comparison to Tim Burton's horrible Alice In Wonderland is cause for serious concern.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I'm just getting sick and tired of these fairy-tale "re-imaginings" in general, and this looks like a poor attempt at making a darker and edgier Oz film. As for Raimi, while I did like Spiderman 3 more then most people, Drag Me To Hell was one of the worst pieces of garbage i've ever seen, and that made me lose quite a bit of goodwill towards him.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:23 pm
Well I happen to own quite a few books about Frank L. Baum's world of Oz. It is some sort of partallel universe (very much like Neverland). The original 1939 movie is basically "it was all just a dream" version (not quite, but close enough). Now from the trailers I see a young-ish guy being a stage magician in black and white, 3:4 ("The Artist" anyone?) Kansas and - just like Dorothy in the original - goes through a Tornado to be "transported" to Oz.... hmmmmm.... so if this is a prequel: how does the great Oz go back to being professor Marvel in Kansas = Dorothy's world - and back again to the Land of Oz ?

In the original movie, the character(s) of Professor Marvel, The Wizard of Oz, his gatekeeper, carriage driver and guard in the castle where all played by the great Frank Morgan, a middle aged, lovable old school character actor, playing his role complete with all sorts of all too human flaws he himself admits when confronted with the truth. Now we are getting (once again) a much younger, cocky pretty boy playing the same character?

Yes I understand: the original has a way too innocent and almost infantile feel to it for today's world, but casting attractive people (without even remotely the various talents of the original cast) within a 3D-CGI-fest isn't exactly my idea of being "edgy". I guess the "Disney" train is derailing big time and for good..... I might go to see it and give it a chance, but I'm afraid to find out that todays business models aren't about that old sense of wonder and magic.

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:03 pm
Sorry, I accidentally posted twice.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm
Director

It looks more like a prequel to the books than the movie.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm
Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Well I happen to own quite a few books about Frank L. Baum's world of Oz. It is some sort of partallel universe (very much like Neverland). The original 1939 movie is basically "it was all just a dream" version (not quite, but close enough)

Syd Henderson wrote:
It looks more like a prequel to the books than the movie.

Both of these sum it up. Many people nowadays will be familiar with Oz mainly through the 1939 classic. They're unaware of L Frank Baum's series of books.

Those books could go into some pretty dark territory at times. Recall that in the mid 80s, Hollywood tried another Baum adaptation with Return To Oz helmed by Apocalypse Now (among others) editor Walter Murch. Many people went into that expecting naother Wizard Of Oz and were shocked to find a movie supposedly aimed at the whole family that included electroshcok therapy (In it, Dorothy's Aunt and Uncle take her for that because they don't believe her stories about Oz). That film bombed and it seemed like for a long time any attempts at making more Oz movies would not ocntinue. Until now.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 am
Director

I'm not terribly interested in this film. Raimi hasn't made a good film since A Simple Plan, and he ceased to be an interesting filmmaker around Darkman. Hopefully someday he'll come back around.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:14 pm
Director

any predictions on box office? Alice opened with over 100 mill, I guess there's not as much interest in this?
maybe 70 mill?

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
any predictions on box office? Alice opened with over 100 mill, I guess there's not as much interest in this?
maybe 70 mill?

80 million + is the general prediction, though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends being considerably less.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 pm
Director

Sean wrote:
What appears to be the year's first blockbuster arrives next Friday in the form of Oz: The Great and Powerful.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Jack the Giant Slayer may have beaten it to the post.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 am
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
calvero wrote:
maybe 70 mill?

80 million + is the general prediction, though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends being considerably less.

Yeah I agree, I'm not very confident this will do well at the box office.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:37 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I saw this last night. Thought I was going to like it during the first half hour or so, but as it went on it got harder and harder to sit through. It's definitely pretty, but there's not much else going for it.

The script is awful. They just drill the message home with a sledgehammer and make sure to remove any trace of subtlety. It felt like everyone started off with some kind of personality, but by the end they just kind of there. And I really wish they weren't doing this as a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, because it forced them to try and tie up loose ends, which made for a bunch of scenes that just felt completely unnatural and grafted on. It just feels like they could have rebooted the whole thing with their own twist on things and did something interesting with it, but instead they were beholden to the original movie.

Vexer wrote:
I'm just getting sick and tired of these fairy-tale "re-imaginings" in general, and this looks like a poor attempt at making a darker and edgier Oz film.

It's not. It's bright and colourful, and really does everything it can to set itself up as a prequel the the 1939 movie. Which feels really weird at times, because that's a seventy year old movie. This is a movie released in 2013 that has a completely genuine (brief) dance number with colourfully dressed dwarfs.

Rami does find a way to put in an occasional jump scare from the evil flying monkeys, but that's about as close as it get's to having a "twisted" take on things.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 am
Second Unit Director

AJR wrote:
It's not. It's bright and colourful, and really does everything it can to set itself up as a prequel the the 1939 movie. Which feels really weird at times, because that's a seventy year old movie. This is a movie released in 2013 that has a completely genuine (brief) dance number with colourfully dressed dwarfs.

And you've just sold me!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:42 am
Director

Quote:
Yeah I agree, I'm not very confident this will do well at the box office.

boxofficemojo predicts 92 mill this weekend

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 pm