Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 am

The Nostalgia Thread 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post The Nostalgia Thread
Any and all things that that take you back. I want to hear stories, guys, not just..."Cassette tapes...yeah, I remember cassette tapes." What...what is it you remember about cassette tapes mother fuckers? I remember recording my own custom mix tapes by taking my tape recorder and placing it next to the speaker of the radio when the song I liked came on. Ghetto...I know, plus I had no clue that a boom box/radio with it's own tape deck could record it's own audio. I'm tarded I know...regardless, I want to hear stories.

Couple examples for me, just right now:

-Going through some YouTube videos brought up a link to The Cranberries...the fucking Cranberries. I loved them. Specifically I remember a road trip when I was an early teen to El Paso, Texas that had me waking up in the middle of the night to a song on the radio that I thought, at the time, was The Cranberries. Had me falling in love with them. It was actually a song from 10,000 Maniacs I had heard...weird how that happens.

-My daughter had some project to do and I caught a whiff of the crayons that sent my mind's eye back to preschool to see some owl...a rainbow painted owl that was like, some mascot of a brand of...I don't know, crayons, coloring books...something.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had thoughts like that, and if I am I want to know. I've got tons of other ones, but what do you guys have?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Nostalgia Thread
ram1312 wrote:
-Going through some YouTube videos brought up a link to The Cranberries...the fucking Cranberries. I loved them. Specifically I remember a road trip when I was an early teen to El Paso, Texas that had me waking up in the middle of the night to a song on the radio that I thought, at the time, was The Cranberries. Had me falling in love with them. It was actually a song from 10,000 Maniacs I had heard...weird how that happens.

Oh man, the Cranberries....I actually "discovered" them less than a year back when I watched Chungking Express, which has a terrific cover by Faye Wong of 'Dreams'. That song and 'Linger' are just about as good as it gets.

Every now and again at night when I'm supposed to be doing homework I'll find myself on YouTube, digging up old artifacts from my childhood. It's funny how you can completely forget something, and then when you see it again after many years all the memories come flooding back. With that said, I can't believe I ever forgot about this clip from the 1994 kids "classic" 3 Ninjas Kick Back. The 3 Ninjas movies are some of the first I ever remember seeing and loving, which is kind of embarrassing in retrospect. Anyway, this seems like the kind of thing that should be haunting my dreams forever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GusQxS9pRTw

Great thread idea!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Director

All right...one of my favorite one-hit wonders from the 90s. This takes me back to middle school. Eighth grade when this came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm
Cinematographer

RE: Cassette tapes.

I too used to record songs off the radio to cassette tape (using the internal boombox method you were unaware of), but going back further into the 70's, I recall my brother and I recording TV theme songs off of the TV on to a dedicated tape recorder (no radio feature) by holding it up to the TV speaker and pressing the Play and Rec buttons. "Rockford Files" theme anyone? Classic!

RE: The Cranberries

I saw them in concert once maybe 12-14 years ago. I actually got free tickets and only went because Collective Soul was opening for them. It was a weeknight and I recall staying for the Collective Soul set and half of The Cranberries set and bugged out mid-Cranberry. Still not a big fan.

RE: Destroying my children

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find the board games that I and my siblings loved as a kid (I grew up with 3 brothers and 3 sisters). Many of the same games are still produced, but the artwork is different, or even some of the details of the game are different. Now, of course, the game of Risk that I grew up with in the 70's looks different than the game of Risk from the 60's, and the same game looks different new today, but I specifically looked for the version I grew up with. EBay is a wonderful thing. The Game of Life: it's all updated with relevant skills and jobs for the 21st century. That's not the game I grew up with, dammit. So the 70's version they will play. For Christmas my son got a vintage "Mattell Electronic Football 2" from the late 70's. Not the crappy re-realease from 2000 that substituted the original LED display with the crappy LCD alternative.

Last weekend we went sledding. My son was the only one on the slope (Dad included) who was on wood and steel, and not some form of rigid or inflatable plastic. Guess what...it went just as fast and just as far as many of the other kids' contraptions.
Attachment:
Sledding.JPG
Sledding.JPG [ 30.53 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]

Now of course it's not going to be all "shooting marbles" and churning butter in my household, but I will try to cling to some of these nostaligc things.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am
Producer

ram1312 wrote:
Any and all things that that take you back. I want to hear stories, guys, not just..."Cassette tapes...yeah, I remember cassette tapes." What...what is it you remember about cassette tapes mother fuckers? I remember recording my own custom mix tapes by taking my tape recorder and placing it next to the speaker of the radio when the song I liked came on. Ghetto...I know, plus I had no clue that a boom box/radio with it's own tape deck could record it's own audio. I'm tarded I know...regardless, I want to hear stories.

Couple examples for me, just right now:

-My daughter had some project to do and I caught a whiff of the crayons that sent my mind's eye back to preschool to see some owl...a rainbow painted owl that was like, some mascot of a brand of...I don't know, crayons, coloring books...something.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had thoughts like that, and if I am I want to know. I've got tons of other ones, but what do you guys have?

Wow, the Cranberries. Looked like they had the world in their hands and then vanshed as quick as they arrived.

On the music front, my sense of nostalgia is probably centred around mid-90s Britpop. For Example

Oasis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQzm0WlRcg

Pulp - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTMWgOduFM

Blur - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDswiT87oo8

Suede - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PdKGDMhau4

Etc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VED67gUNXM

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:07 am
Cinematographer

A co-worker last week played an audio of Sweet Brown ("Ain't nobody got time for dat!"). When I heard that without knowing the source, my mind locked onto the tone and content and immediately pulled up George Jefferson (Sherman Hemsley - R.I.P.) from TV shows of the '70's.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm