Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Well 2013 Looks Like A Dismal Year For Film, Eh? 
Critic

Post Well 2013 Looks Like A Dismal Year For Film, Eh?
I really don't see much worth anticipating. Certainly not like 2012, when there were like 15 movies I was stoked for. Instead of Skyfall, this year I get...Iron Man 3? Fuck.

You guys any more optimistic?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Well 2013 Looks Like A Dismal Year For Film, Eh?
Come on James, cheer up. Theres a few things to look forward too:

The Great Gatsby
Man of Steel
Kill Your Darlings
Elysium
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Before Midnight
12 Years a Slave (possibly, hasn't gotten a distributor)
Inside Llewyn Davis
Mud
Only God Forgives
The Place Beyond The Pines
The Spectacular Now
Stoker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
You guys any more optimistic?

Not really, unfortunately, although there's still some hope. I've only seen Side Effects so far this year, but I'll see Stoker and Like Someone In Love in March. From everything I've heard, Before Midnight is going to be great. I'm not really interested in the big summer releases, apart from Snowpiercer. I'll see Star Trek Into Darkness and Man Of Steel, along with the rest of the world. I'm cautiously optimistic for Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity, which he's been working on for what seems like forever now and will finally get released sometime this year. The Coens have their new film Inside Llewyn Davis, and anytime they release something new it's always exciting. George Clooney is directing a film called The Monuments Men, which has a great cast and sounds a little like a Kelly's Heroes-style WWII adventure. Nicolas Winding-Refn has a new one out this year too.

Apart from those and maybe a few more I'm spacing out on at the moment, I'm not seeing much else of high interest. I have a feeling my Top 10 list at the end of the year will be filled more with films that are not currently on my radar.

EDIT: I'll second JackBurns' list, plus the few others I mentioned.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Sligltly more optimistic. Remembering that 2012 was pretty backloaded. Seconding what Jackburns and Blone Almond suggested.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm
Critic

Definitely stoked for Before Midnight, that's a good call. But The Great Gatsby isn't exactly the same as "Oh sweet a new Tarantino film!"

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm
Second Unit Director

Sigh, I still have pretty high hopes for Gatsby. Also we'll get a Scorsese this year: The Wolf of Wall Street

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 pm
Critic

JackBurns wrote:
Sigh, I still have pretty high hopes for Gatsby. Also we'll get a Scorsese this year: The Wolf of Wall Street

That's a good call. And a Woody Allen movie with Louis CK in it.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Personally, it's hard to top my excitement for a new PTA. That said, I must say that I'm actually looking forward to more this year than last (although this year did sneak up and get really good on me, I must admit).

Most excited about:

The Place Beyond the Pines. Everything I've heard is phenomenal.

New Coen Bros. The only current filmmakers who get me as excited as PTA. Moving the release date to December is disappointing due to the wait but not at all discouraging given the quality and confidence it indicates.

Scorsese & Leo, of course.

Foxcatcher. While I have the same issues with Moneyball that many did, I do enjoy Bennett Miller's work a lot, and I think Steve Carell is a legitimately phenomenal actor. Combine all that with an intriguing story and I'm all in.

The Monuments Men also looks great and intriguing to me.

Although my optimism is cautious, I'm most excited about Snowpiercer and Elysium of the summer releases.

And will Spike Lee's Old Boy probably be a hot mess? You betcha. But I'll be there opening day, no doubt.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm
Director

We're only two months into the year, so I'm remaining optimistic.

As a side note, later in the year Ridley Scott is coming out with The Counselor, which was written by Cormac McCarthy. Worth a look, if you ask me.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

As a side note, later in the year Ridley Scott is coming out with The Counselor, which was written by Cormac McCarthy. Worth a look, if you ask me.

Sounds a lot better then Prometheus, that's for sure.

Anyways i'm looking forward to quite a few films, this spring there's Dead Man Down, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Olympus Has Fallen, Pain And Gain, and Oblivion.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Anyways i'm looking forward to quite a few films, this spring there's Dead Man Down, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Olympus Has Fallen, Pain And Gain, and Oblivion.

Oblivion has an interesting premise. Hopefully they make it about characters and don't turn it into a big sci-fi shoot-em-up. Pain And Gain has an incredibly goofy vibe about it. It seems pretty far away from Bay's other work; if the reviews are good I may check it out. On the other hand, I can guarantee that GI Joe will suck hard. It's been bounced around the schedule, with reshoots, all kinds of post production touchups, stuff like that. It's a telltale sign that the studio doesn't have much faith in the film.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm
Cinematographer

JackBurns wrote:
Also we'll get a Scorsese this year: The Wolf of Wall Street

Ah yes, I had forgotten about this one.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

This too. Scott + Fassbender + McCarthy is extremely promising.

There's also the new Wright/Pegg/Frost film The World's End.

Looking at all the films listed so far, I'm actually starting to get more excited about the year.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
Also we'll get a Scorsese this year: The Wolf of Wall Street

Ah yes, I had forgotten about this one.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

This too. Scott + Fassbender + McCarthy is extremely promising.

There's also the new Wright/Pegg/Frost film The World's End.

Looking at all the films listed so far, I'm actually starting to get more excited about the year.

You know, me too. Glad I made the thread.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:47 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Oblivion has an interesting premise. Hopefully they make it about characters and don't turn it into a big sci-fi shoot-em-up. Pain And Gain has an incredibly goofy vibe about it. It seems pretty far away from Bay's other work; if the reviews are good I may check it out. On the other hand, I can guarantee that GI Joe will suck hard. It's been bounced around the schedule, with reshoots, all kinds of post production touchups, stuff like that. It's a telltale sign that the studio doesn't have much faith in the film.

The main reason G.I. Joe got pushed back is because of the negative reaction from test audiences when Duke got killed off, because of Tatum's increasing popularity, Paramount decided to re-shoot the film to give him more screen time and partially re-write the film so that Duke no longer dies. I was really looking forward to seeing it last year and was pretty pissed at the delay, but i'm still very excited to see it nonetheless, there's just no way in hell I can possibly pass on a film that has both Dwayne Johnson And Bruce Willis in it :mrgreen:

Oh and interestingly enough, the director actually did want to shoot the film in 3-D, but Paramount said no, so I will be seeing the film in 2-D as i've had enough of this "post-conversion" crap.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 am
Second Unit Director

2013 is already the best year in cinema for one reason and one reason only...Schwarzenegger being back...WITH WEAPONS!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 am
Producer

patrick wrote:
2013 is already the best year in cinema for one reason and one reason only...Schwarzenegger being back...WITH WEAPONS!

Indeed, can't wait to see "The Tomb"

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 am
Second Unit Director

Last year was a great year for films but still felt incomplete to me because of the lack of that one true masterpiece (A Separation, The Social Network, Inglourious Basterds in 11,10, and 09.). I am hoping this year provides me with that.

The only thing that can be more exciting than a new Tarantino would be a new Scorsese. The Wolf of Wall Street seems to be right up Scorsese's alley with the crime/drama theme, and I am hoping it turns out to be another one in the line of his previous masterpieces. Wouldn't it be amazing if he continues his run of a masterpiece per decade into a fifth one?

I also cannot wait for the new Iron Man film. Everything Marvel is doing these days seems to be worthy of a watch. They've not given a generic superhero film (*coughs* The Green Lantern *coughs*) in a long time. So Iron Man 3 is probably going to be well worth my time. Not to mention we've got DC with Man of Steel in one of the only two franchises they seem to give a shit about. Ken summed it up perfectly elsewhere when he said somebody else directing/screen-writing Nolan's story is probably the best thing that could've happened.

All in all, it seems to be a pretty solid year for me. I am using this Wiki page as a reference to generate the below list.

The Pedro Contenders (See what I did there)
The Wolf of Wall Street
Side Effects
Much Ado About Nothing (Joss Whedon's indie film seems to be getting some good reviews.)
The Great Gatsby (I am not sure about it but we'll see.)
The Counselor (Ridley Scott's new film featuring Pitt, Fassbender, and Bardem. At the very least, there should be a lot of energy in this one.)
The Place Beyond the Pines (Agree with Shade. Plus any film with Ryan Gosling in it becomes an instant must-see.)
Monuments Men (I loved The Ides of March more than most people here, so I am really excited for this one. Plus it features Craig in a straight-up drama role which should be interesting.)
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (I can't put into words how much I freaking love Sin City. This is much of the same crew, so it is bound to be at least good.)
Before Midnight (I loved Before Sunrise, wasn't as enamored with Before Sunset as some others on here. I still think it's a great film, just not as good as the first one. This one seems to be getting raves wherever it goes.)
Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Brothers. 'Nuff said!)
Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive follow-up. Plus another Gosling film.)
MUD (I liked Take Shelter a lot, so this ought to be nice. Plus McConaughey's choices nowadays are definitely worthy of a watch.)

The Entertainers
Iron Man 3
Man of Steel
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (I loved the first film and have started going through the novels as well.)
The Hangover III (Yes, I know, I know! But I am going to be sucked into watching it and I am probably going to laugh a lot too.)
The World's End (I luurved Shaun of the Dead, so any new Wright/Pegg/Frost collaboration is going to be well worth my time.)
Thor: The Dark World

The Tossups
Oblivion (This looks interesting, and I will watch it in theaters, but I am not sure about the final product.)
Kick-Ass 2 (I loved the first one. It remains to be seen whether it is more of the same or something anew.)
The Lone Ranger (Verbinski plus Depp again! I have a decent amount of hope for this one.)
World War Z (I've started reading this book and am loving it. The fact that Marc Forster is directing it gives me some hope.)
Pacific Rim (I absolutely don't like the trailers of this one, but it's from Del Toro, so I am hoping it'll be nice.)

EDIT: Added a couple of films that had already been mentioned by Jack onto my list.

Last edited by Balaji Sivaraman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I almost forgot about Lone Ranger, the trailer to that was absolutely cringeworthy, it reminded me too much of that Wild Wild West film. Also not particularly interested in Great Gatsby.

Other films i'm looking forward to:Now You See Me, After Earth, Pacific Rim, World War Z, R.I.P.D., Iron Man 3, Sin City 2, White House Down, Kick Ass 2, The Heat, Fast And Furious 6, RED 2, The Wolverine, 2 Guns, We're The Millers, Getaway, Machete Kills, The Tomb, Prisoners, Runner Runner, Ender's Game and Jack Ryan. Also Odd Thomas if it gets released this year.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:49 am
Director

Yeah, it hasn't been a great year thus far, but I'm not too worried. There are still LOTS of movies that look and sound like they could be amazing.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 am
Producer

I'm curious about The Great Gatsby as it's been described as unfilmable before now, and I am actually a fan of Luhrmann's re-imagining of Romeo and Juliet. So we'll see.

Iron Man 3, meh.

I am looking forward to Man of Steel. But I hope they don't just settle for convention.

No film by Ridley Scott holds any excitment for me. He's hacksville central!

Definately looking forward to At World's End. I love both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 am