Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 pm

The Day After: So, What Did You Think of Last Night's Show? 
Auteur

Post Re: The Day After: So, What Did You Think of Last Night's Show?
I didn't think he was "smug" or anything like that, he was a much better host thne Billy Crystal was last year, I really hope Eddie Murphy gets a chance to host, it seems kinda unfair that he lost the chance just because Brett Ratner couldn't keep his goddamn mouth shut.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I didn't think he was "smug" or anything like that, he was a much better host thne Billy Crystal was last year, I really hope Eddie Murphy gets a chance to host, it seems kinda unfair that he lost the chance just because Brett Ratner couldn't keep his goddamn mouth shut.

+1

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

I would love to see Eddie Murphy host. Seth McFarlane has always had this smugness about him in my mind. He's just one of those people who annoys me anytime I see him; I don't think I could ever explain it adequately.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 pm
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I would love to see Eddie Murphy host. Seth McFarlane has always had this smugness about him in my mind. He's just one of those people who annoys me anytime I see him; I don't think I could ever explain it adequately.

You don't have to, that's exactly how I feel about Sean Penn, he's way too damn smug for his own good.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:10 am
Director

Sean Penn just takes himself way too seriously. :|

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 am
Director

Sean wrote:
Phoenix had one of the best facial expressions of the night. He truly summed up how I feel about the Academy; he's a bold, outstanding actor who does not want to be a part of the Hollywood machine. And who can blame him? To quote Batman Begins, 90% of the people who attend are "phonies" and "two-faced friends". Different contexts, same meaning. Props to him. Plus, if he had won, I think that he would have given a highly-charged speech ridiculing the Academy. He doesn't care.

Except for the fact that he decided to come to the Oscars along with that attitude (I know he's nominated, but if you're gonna feel that unpleasant, maybe it's better that you don't come at all). Before that appearance I felt the same way as you about him, but after the Oscars, I thought he's borderlining on smugness.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
Sean wrote:
Phoenix had one of the best facial expressions of the night. He truly summed up how I feel about the Academy; he's a bold, outstanding actor who does not want to be a part of the Hollywood machine. And who can blame him? To quote Batman Begins, 90% of the people who attend are "phonies" and "two-faced friends". Different contexts, same meaning. Props to him. Plus, if he had won, I think that he would have given a highly-charged speech ridiculing the Academy. He doesn't care.

Except for the fact that he decided to come to the Oscars along with that attitude (I know he's nominated, but if you're gonna feel that unpleasant, maybe it's better that you don't come at all). Before that appearance I felt the same way as you about him, but after the Oscars, I thought he's borderlining on smugness.

Yeah, him showing up and then acting all condescending to the Academy just made him look like a total hypocrite.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:40 am