Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:38 pm

The Day After: So, What Did You Think of Last Night's Show? 
Cinematographer

Post The Day After: So, What Did You Think of Last Night's Show?
I did not take part in the live-chat thread last night, but I thought that I might as well participate in the post-Oscars chatter anyways.

Strong opening by Seth MacFarlane, although after that, the night just didn't seem to gel very well. Anyway, here are my thoughts on the 85th Annual Academy Awards:

1. Seth MacFarlane. Funny guy. I find this article on Yahoo! which proclaims that his jokes were sexist, hilarious: http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/not-just ... 52960.html. If you choose MacFarlane to host the show and expect something tame, then you are sadly mistaken.

2. As the night went on, everything seemed to wither away. MacFarlane was smug (as expected), but still much funnier than Crystal or the combined (wooden) due of Franco and Hathaway from 2011. Nonetheless, the show dragged on for far too long, and there was nothing really much in the way of surprises. A fine show, but nothing exceptional. Tom Shales wrote a harsh review of the show, which I find a tad over-the-top. There is no way that MacFarlane was a worse host than whoever emceed the 1989 show. Anyway, here's the link: http://blogs.suntimes.com/shales/2013/0 ... right.html.

3. For a minute, I thought that Jean Dujardin was Sean Connery. Then, I realized that he wasn't. How sad.

4. Is this the first Oscar telecast in quite a few years where no "censor-worthy" expletives were dropped? I can't think of a single one, other than the one dropped by Bradley Cooper's character in his SLP Best Actor reel.

5. Shirley Bassey was fine, but I thought that she was a bit off at first. Adele was the evening's highlight, in my opinion.

6. Why. Does. The. Academy. Love. Anne. Hathaway. So. Much? Her performance in Les Miserables was perfunctory at best. Nothing particularly fascinating or riveting. Just 20 minutes of her crying, singing, and
[Reveal] Spoiler:
dying.

7. MacFarlane's Rex Reed gag was spot-on, although I bet that about 90% of the show's audience just went "huh?".

8. Daniel Day-Lewis and Jennifer Lawrence gave two of the finest acceptance speeches of the night. Nothing overstuffed (Anne Hathaway) or overlong (Anne Hathaway). Just straight to the point. Very eloquent.

9. Back to Hathaway. Must she thank all seven billion of us? Twice? Wouldn't a simple "thank you" suffice?

10. I just love the look on Joaquin's face. He doesn't even try to mask his disdain for the Academy. And rightfully so: they really messed things up this year.

11. Quite shocked at the tie for Best Sound Editing. Might the Academy be trying to avoid further controversy concerning Zero Dark Thirty? Either way, the movie deserved to sweep.

12. At least Skyfall won something, although the single win for ZDT is a travesty.

13. New rule of thumb: Disney-Pixar will win every year so long as its films are a) mild critical successes and b) aren't Monsters, Inc. and Cars.

14. What was up with the Michelle Obama Best Picture announcement? Must she be everywhere? Completely unnecessary political stunt.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm
Director

Post Re: The Day After: So, What Did You Think of Last Night's Show?
Good post, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Macfarlane was such a good host that some of the things bothered me less than they would have otherwise. "Getting nominated for an oscar; something a 9-year old could do." Hell yeah, and it wasn't even a joke. Other highlights: Jennifer Lawrence win. Radcliffe smugly thinking he's the next James Bond perhaps? Kristen Stewart looking embarrassed, but sweet. William Shatner: one of the coolest things this show's ever done. And the Les Mis assembly; that was actually kinda cool.

Drawbacks: Bond video tribute = lamest thing ever, I've seen dozens of better tribute montages on youtube. Shirley Bassey's appearance demonstrating once again that love for the Bond franchise is often reduced down to that song...cause I guess that's all most people remember. Adele was cool, but not cool enough for me to wish they would stop the tradition of having each song nomination performed during the show. The seemingly endless array of tributes to Chicago...wtf? Michelle Obama: presenting the award with basically the same speech she delivered at the democratic convention? Anyone else not quite comfortable?

I'm gonna see if I can name all the best picture announcers of the last 10 years, from memory:

Chicago: Kirk/Michael Douglas
LOTR: Spielberg
Million Dollar Baby: The Fockers
Crash: Jack Nicholson
Departed: Jack Nicholson and somebody else
No Country: Denzel
Slumdog: Spielberg
Hurt Locker: Tom Hanks
King's Speech and Artist I can't recall

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm
Cinematographer

Didn't watch it. I wouldn't have done more than flip to it every now and then anyway, but the wife made me switch away during the boob song. Have seen the 1st Lady highlight. That didn't bother me at all (I don't like the Obama's politics at all - to the point of almost complete disdain), but hopefully having the wife of the president tied to announcing Argo won 't bother some that consider the film jingoistic. I don't mind political figures acting a little celebrity as long as its not too silly; she has enough glam to fit in. Most of the Hollywood crowd seems to adore her so I doubt many of the participants would see her as an intrusion or distraction.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Good post, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Macfarlane was such a good host that some of the things bothered me less than they would have otherwise. "Getting nominated for an oscar; something a 9-year old could do." Hell yeah, and it wasn't even a joke. Other highlights: Jennifer Lawrence win. Radcliffe smugly thinking he's the next James Bond perhaps? Kristen Stewart looking embarrassed, but sweet. William Shatner: one of the coolest things this show's ever done. And the Les Mis assembly; that was actually kinda cool.

Drawbacks: Bond video tribute = lamest thing ever, I've seen dozens of better tribute montages on youtube. Shirley Bassey's appearance demonstrating once again that love for the Bond franchise is often reduced down to that song...cause I guess that's all most people remember. Adele was cool, but not cool enough for me to wish they would stop the tradition of having each song nomination performed during the show. The seemingly endless array of tributes to Chicago...wtf? Michelle Obama: presenting the award with basically the same speech she delivered at the democratic convention? Anyone else not quite comfortable?

I'm gonna see if I can name all the best picture announcers of the last 10 years, from memory:

Chicago: Kirk/Michael Douglas
LOTR: Spielberg
Million Dollar Baby: The Fockers
Crash: Jack Nicholson
Departed: Jack Nicholson and somebody else
No Country: Denzel
Slumdog: Spielberg
Hurt Locker: Tom Hanks
King's Speech and Artist I can't recall

Michelle Obama's appearance was entirely unnecessary; it almost seemed like a caricature of Hollywood's affinity for Democratic politicians and their brethren who implement many of the same policies as their Republican comrades.

A few other things:

15. The James Bond tribute was truly lame.

16. Perhaps I should explain my dislike for Anne Hathaway, or at least her long-winded Oscar speeches. She simply lists off a bunch of people, but she doesn't say anything of any significance. She essentially basks in her own glory, but she doesn't do it in an engaging, humorous manner, such as the way Quentin Tarantino does it.

17. I cannot stand Les Miserables either so it might have something to do with that. I also hate musicals, although I do like the classics. Hence, my annoyance at seeing all of the Les Mis theater kids on stage singing their hearts out. (Poor Russell.)

18. I got 19 out of 24 right on my New York Times ballot, although I earned a 16 out of 21 on my Beat Berardinelli! one. Good enough, although I was desperately hoping to get a review from James. Or an iPad.

19. Was it really necessary for Streisand to devote her song to Marvin Hamlisch? I know that he's the most famous of the bunch, but it just seems gaudy, especially given the many other winners on stage.

20. Like I said, MacFarlane was fine, but (believe it or not, easily-offended people) very tame.

21. I cannot understand why the AMPAS is permitted to judge the best in film every year, when it can't even put together a good, succinct ceremony.

22. 2012 was a good year for movies, but an exceptionally mediocre year for the Oscars.
CasualDad wrote:
Didn't watch it. I wouldn't have done more than flip to it every now and then anyway, but the wife made me switch away during the boob song. Have seen the 1st Lady highlight. That didn't bother me at all (I don't like the Obama's politics at all - to the point of almost complete disdain), but hopefully having the wife of the president tied to announcing Argo won 't bother some that consider the film jingoistic. I don't mind political figures acting a little celebrity as long as its not too silly; she has enough glam to fit in. Most of the Hollywood crowd seems to adore her so I doubt many of the participants would see her as an intrusion or distraction.

I'm sure it didn't bother the participants. It just put me in a foul mood.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:16 pm
Auteur

I didn't a problem with Michelle's appearance, though I can see why some did.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:17 pm
Director

I think Michelle Obama is a classy person. Everything she does causes people to whine, whether it's deserved or not. So I say let them whine.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I think Michelle Obama is a classy person. Everything she does causes people to whine, whether it's deserved or not. So I say let them whine.

Here here!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:07 pm
Producer

JB pretty much said it all. Having Michelle Obama present an Oscar is mainly just baffling, considering that she doesn't have anything to do with movies.

The objections based on her status as a political figure seem kind of thoughtless. She is not her husband, and the most high-profile political move she's made is her initiative to curb childhood obesity and promote a healthier diet. Whatever political controversy she's managed to attract amounts to a tempest in a teapot.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

God I hate Seth MacFarlane.

Such a punchable face.

Oh, I didn't watch the Oscars. But I made sure to google the results and got mildly annoyed by some of the choices. Then I remembered that I didn't really care that much.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 pm
Director

The whole 10-year commemoration of "Chicago" winning Best Picture tribute was one of the most pointless filler pieces of recent memory. :?

As we've seen in the past, any host who's even remotely edgy is usually not asked back, so it'll be unlikely to see Seth MacFarlane in the future... despite the fact that, if you've seen how far he can go, he was definitely holding back here.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 pm
Director

Kudos to JB's comment on William Shatner: that was awesome. Very sharp for an old guy; comes across as sharper than Nimoy did in the Abrams movie.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 pm
Director

You're kind of in a minority opinion about Anne Hathaway's performance. I personally thought she was moving and great. Fitting.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:08 pm
Second Unit Director

I think the best thing that happened to Seth McFarlane was Tommy Lee Jones laughing at his first line of the day. The audience laughed as a result, and that seemed to put McFarlane at ease.

It was also obvious that the entire Introduction was there to give a sense of what would've been if McFarlane had been his usual self (which he was not). The whole Captain Kirk thing was hilarious. And the actresses themselves did not mind the Boobs song given they made their presence in the video (which was obviously pre-shot). Plus, it was also funny. We've got a bunch of easily offended people.

To me, it felt McFarlane made a lot of funny jokes but most of them weren't what we would expect from him. He was relatively subdued, as he should be given this is the "Oscars" we are talking about. The only time people might've been truly offended would've been with that Lincoln joke. It did elicit a laughter out of me, but I can imagine a lot of people finding it offensive. He also got to be himself for at least one sequence by being Ted, which again was funny. And you don't put McFarlane as Oscar host and expect that everything he says will be politically correct. That is the definition of being dumb.

Overall, I would totally love if he returned next year as well. He was easily the best Oscar host I've watched.

I was also shocked to see Michelle Obama handing out the first picture. JB nailed it. "Democrats loved it, Republicans hated it, and the rest of us were wondering what Michelle Obama has to do with movies." When Jack walked out, I thought to myself, "Finally the Oscars seemed to be doing great by making one of the most recognizable movie icons of our time hand out the Best Picture award." I was excited because this is Jack "Motherfucking" Nicholson we're talking about. Then the First Lady came on TV, and it all fell apart. I would've loved if Jack himself had handed out the award. Total fail from the Academy for me.

I agree with everyone else who said the Bond Montage quite simply sucked. When it was over, I thought, "Is that it?" As JB said, the Academy would've been better off not honoring 007. And who did they pick to introduce the montage, Halle "Fucking" Berry, one of the worst Bond girls in one of the worst Bond films ever.

There were three speeches that I liked. Obviously, Daniel Day-Lewis because he is one genuine bloke and he never seems to be "faking" it. Whatever he says comes from the heart and I absolutely love that in stars. Jennifer Lawrence was OK. Her line about everybody standing up and applauding was good, though it did make people question whether she fell down or whether it was all pre-planned. I also enjoyed Affleck's emotion-driven speech at the end, but that was because I fricking loved Argo and was so happy it won Best Picture.

And really Joauqin, how else do you want the Academy to hate you? I simply don't get him. If he hates the Academy's guts so much, why does he bother turning up? Was it because he thought he had an outside chance? Because if he did, that would make him a hypocrite. You can't hate the Academy and then accept an Award from them. I actually thought he gave the performance of the year in The Master (although only marginally ahead of DDL in my eyes). But his reaction was obvious for everyone to see, and I don't think he's going to win any awards with that, not that he gives a shit anyway.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I caught some of the highlights last night.

Firstly, I've never seen Les Mis, but still I'm not surprised that Hathaway walked away with an Oscar for her apparently short screen time. Remember Penelope Cruz winning it a few years ago for a her pretty-much cameo appearence in Vicky Christina Barcelona.

All awards seem partially intent on discrediting themselves, but watching the Oscars can be especially painful. It's a club for backslapping pals; the choice of films they have nomitated is bizzare, and the actors even more so. Good riddance for one more year.

I'm sorry if that sounds cynical, but I find the selections and oversights too much for me to take the whole thing with any degree of seriousness.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Firstly, I've never seen Les Mis, but still I'm not surprised that Hathaway walked away with an Oscar for her apparently short screen time. Remember Penelope Cruz winning it a few years ago for a her pretty-much cameo appearence in Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Granted, Beatrice Straight won the award for roughly 8 minutes of screen time in "Network," and Judi Dench for 10 minutes in "Shakespeare in Love," so this really isn't unprecedented.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
And really Joauqin, how else do you want the Academy to hate you? I simply don't get him. If he hates the Academy's guts so much, why does he bother turning up? Was it because he thought he had an outside chance? Because if he did, that would make him a hypocrite. You can't hate the Academy and then accept an Award from them. I actually thought he gave the performance of the year in The Master (although only marginally ahead of DDL in my eyes). But his reaction was obvious for everyone to see, and I don't think he's going to win any awards with that, not that he gives a shit anyway.

Funny how times change. Back in 1970, George C. Scott bashes the ceremony in general yet the Academy still gives him Best Actor for "Patton" (which he refused, as expected). :?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:16 am
Producer

Quote:
Granted, Beatrice Straight won the award for roughly 8 minutes of screen time in "Network," and Judi Dench for 10 minutes in "Shakespeare in Love," so this really isn't unprecedented

Anthony Hopkins won it for 16 minutes of screentime in Silence of the Lambs. But that was a memorable performance, and whether you agree with the award or not, few people have forgotten it.

Contrast with Cruz's award for VCB. Which, by the way, I don't consider to be a bad film. But an Oscar winning turn from the bird who plays the lead guy's stroppy ex-wife for about 10 minutes, if that. Give me a break!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
The whole 10-year commemoration of "Chicago" winning Best Picture tribute was one of the most pointless filler pieces of recent memory. :?

Think I read in one of the post-mortems that the producers of the Oscars telecast also produced Chicago. Classy self-promotion.

Speaking of which, how many random shots of Kerry Washington did ABC mandate? I mean she's hot and all...oh wait...she has a show on ABC too. Clas-see.

For those expecting MacFarlane NOT to be invited back, the ratings were up big on Sunday. That's what's probably going to drive the ultimate decision. Controversy is what got Gervais the Globes gig for all those years.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am
Cinematographer

Phoenix had one of the best facial expressions of the night. He truly summed up how I feel about the Academy; he's a bold, outstanding actor who does not want to be a part of the Hollywood machine. And who can blame him? To quote Batman Begins, 90% of the people who attend are "phonies" and "two-faced friends". Different contexts, same meaning. Props to him. Plus, if he had won, I think that he would have given a highly-charged speech ridiculing the Academy. He doesn't care.

In all honesty, the Oscars ceremony is practically festooned with popular, mildly-intelligent actors who are held in some high regard. It reminds me of the "upper crust" of a high-school social ladder. In all honesty, it's a popularity contest.

MacFarlane's first ten minutes were fine, even though the song-and-dance number was an utter waste of time and entirely unnecessary. After that, he just started to annoy me. I could see his jokes coming a mile away, and half of them weren't even humorous in the slightest. The surprise appearance of Ted was welcome too, although the tie for Best Sound Editing shocked me.

Hathaway just annoys me. Her long-winded acceptance speech, which listed off just about everyone she had ever met, was ridiculous, and her tacked-on anti-poverty message at the end just felt forced and didn't seem to ring true. Plus, I hear that Chris Wallace plans on suing her for stealing his haircut. (Easy joke, I know. :D)

All in all, it was a dreadful, an altogether bloated, uninteresting ordeal with a few moments of hilarity but no real surprises. At least there was a major upset last year when TGWTDT won Best Film Editing. Most of the jokes were humorous in the moment but are disposable upon later consideration.

In fact, here are what I consider to be the worst moments of the night's ceremony:

10. The overlong dance number at the show's start. MacFarlane was funny for a little while, but then the joke just wouldn't end.

9. Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy's jokes about animated voice-overs. Not funny in the slightest.

8. The musical tribute. Self-promotion, anyone?

7. The Bond tribute, featuring (as many have pointed out before me) Halle "One of the Worst Bond Girls Ever" Berry.

6. Kristen Stewart. If she isn't nominated and she is going to look like she in constant pain, why even both showing up? Especially if she looks like she was just rudely awakened from a long nap. (Footnote: Why are so many people commending her for showing up at the Oscars using crutches? So what?)

5. Seth MacFarlane's Abraham Lincoln joke. Predictable and lame.

4. Seth MacFarlane's smugness. Must he smile at his own jokes?

3. Shutting off one of the Life of Pi winners using the song from Jaws. He actually tries to say something meaningful with his speech, and he isn't allowed to finish. Meanwhile, Anne Hathaway delivers one of the most superficial speeches of the night, and we don't even get any music to play her out.

2. The "losers" song at the end. Not funny, mean-spirited, and lame.

1. Michelle Obama presenting Best Picture. Why? Just stick with Jack Nicholson.

Honorable Mentions: Leaving out Griffith and Hagman from the "In Memoriam" tribute, the Sound of Music joke (lame, but not offensive), the big fuss made about Jennifer Lawrence tripping, Seth MacFarlane's smugness (again), Seth MacFarlane laughing at his own jokes (again), and (this isn't related to the actual show, but...) all of the individuals who claim to have been offended. Were you honestly expecting MacFarlane to be the 21st-century Billy Crystal?

That being said, would I mind seeing MacFarlane host again in a few years' time? No, provided that he polishes up on his presentation skills, recites more humorous (an envelope-pushing) jokes, and is at the center of a more entertaining (and shorter) show. I actually though that this year's Oscars were fairly tame, although the fact that it has caused so much controversy over the course of the past few days will probably pressure the Academy into hiring someone much more lame and uninteresting for 2014 (read Tina Fey and Amy Poehler).

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:52 pm
Auteur

Seth said he has no interest in hosting the Oscars again. I would actually like tos ee Tina and Amy, I think having two female hosts would make things interesting. I don't blame Stewart for showing up in spite of her injury, most actors wouldn't want to miss being at the ceremony.

I didn't mind Hathaway's speech, evne if it was a bit long, I felt sorta bad for the guy getting cut off though(like someone else said, he should've led off with whatever meaningful thing he was going to say)

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean, I find Seth McFarlane terribly annoying as well. His overarching smugness makes me want to punch him, and there are very few people I can say that about. Kristin Chenowith saved the finale for me; I'd had too much by that point. I agree with James about one thing: host(s) largely seem unnecessary for the Oscars; most of his appearances were to talk about what's coming after commercial breaks. Seriously? Just have the disembodied voice announce the presenters and montages, that was easily McFarlane's lamest material, which isn't saying much IMHO.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm