Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This year...I'm watching every Star Trek 
Producer

Post Re: This year...I'm watching every Star Trek
To make a somewhat embarrassing admission, I cannot give any personal testament to The Search For Spock either way. I haven't seen it and I don't intend to. I know it has a somewhat poor reputation, but my beef is more with the nature of the story.

But hey, The Voyage Home is a lot of fun.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 am
Director

here's the japanese teaser for Star Trek Into Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rHlQUXFzfw

guess they're ripping off wrath of khan this time.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
here's the japanese teaser for Star Trek Into Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rHlQUXFzfw

guess they're ripping off wrath of khan this time.

What did they rip off the first time?

The darkness of the trailer scares me a little. I don't mind it going a little dark, but hopefully it doesn't take itself too seriously. The 2009 film was great fun in part because they kept it relatively light. I don't want this to be a Nolan-ized Star Trek.

Cumberbatch looks like he could steal the movie, which isn't surprising. Dude is awesome.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

They nicked a few things from Wrath of Khan last time. They'll probably do it again this time. They'll probably do it again the next time.

You have to admit, it's a safe strategy to tell everyone it isn't their grandfather's Star Trek, all the while plundering ideas from the most-loved movie in the old series.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:41 pm
Is it just me, or is the narrator in the trailer trying to imitate Morgan Freeman?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 am
Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Is it just me, or is the narrator in the trailer trying to imitate Morgan Freeman?

That seems to have become the thing. FOr a while it was common for narrators to imitate Charlton Heston.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 am
Cinematographer

I don't think the narrator sounds anything like Morgan Freeman. I'm assuming it's Benedict Cumberbatch since he's the villain of the movie, but whoever it is, he's clearly British. Also, Freeman is known for his grandfatherly, warm voice, and the narrator in this trailer is trying to sound menacing. It reminded me more of Christopher Lee than anything else, but even that's only a slight resemblance, and is mostly in the tone.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:57 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I don't think the narrator sounds anything like Morgan Freeman. I'm assuming it's Benedict Cumberbatch since he's the villain of the movie, but whoever it is, he's clearly British. Also, Freeman is known for his grandfatherly, warm voice, and the narrator in this trailer is trying to sound menacing. It reminded me more of Christopher Lee than anything else, but even that's only a slight resemblance, and is mostly in the tone.

O.K. that's why I asked. I think I have a very keen ear for voices and sounds in general. It is part of what I do. But of course I have my doubts when listening to someone speaking in English - not only because it is't my native language, but because I am not exposed to the respective culture 24/7. I know that this is not an "all-out" imitation or soundalike of Morgan Freeman (if at all). I also notice that this must be the voice of a character in the movie and that the accent is rather British - yet Morgan Freeman doesn't speak Standard-American (what exactly that is, is of course debatable, but the term and concept exist), he talks with theatrical dignity in his personal form of AAVE. I just tought, apart from the menace and British accent, there are strong Freeman-ish elements in the narration. I may be dead wrong.

I remember, some 15-20 years ago and perhaps for a very long time a lot of trailer voice over (if that's the correct term) sounded -to me that is - like carbon copies of Don LaFontaine.

It might not be of any interest here in these forums - I am just comparing: in my native Germany one of the greatest voices (dubbing, narration, voice over etc.) for the last 20+ years is Christian Brückner (the regular dubbing voice actor for Robert De Niro). He has that warm, not too deep, yet husky voice with a very faint hint of sarcasm and world-weariness. I spottet at least three other guys (mainly tv commercial voice overs) who clearly imitate his timbre (of course each one with a personal touch as not to sound like a lame impersonation). So I thought, perhaps going for "Morgan Freeman-ish" might be the thing in the US as we speak. I guess I was wrong.

BTW this guy made me think the voice over was Freeman-ish

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
[b]I was a little surprised at how little Khan's backstory was revealed, and that hurt the movie a bit for me. Subsequent research showed me that this was because the movie is a sequel, after a fashion, to one of the TV show episodes. That explains a lot, but I still wanted to hear Kirk's explanation for the whole thing because Khan's is really the only one we get.
Also, the plot with Kirk's ex-squeeze and his long lost son doesn't really work at all.

Interesting thought. I saw the movie for the first time as a kid before I'd ever seen "Space Seed." The confidence of the storytelling and the conviction of the characters sold the backstory for me and made me satisfied with it. Everyone in the movie knows what's going on and acts accordingly, so I think it works. Chekov's little explanation I think is enough.

Also, but Kirk's dismissive "I know what he blames me for" was always one of my favorite moments. He knows what he's supposed to have done, but he's here to get everyone out of the mess, not to worry about how they got there. Great little moment of leadership.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 am
Critic

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984) **1/2

This movie reminded me so much of a bad television episode. You know, one of those episodes where something interesting happened the previous week and the creators need to deal with its fallout. The entire purpose of this movie was just to bring Spock back, and they don't go about it in a particularly interesting manner. It's not terrible, mind, but it's just not very compelling.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:43 pm
Critic

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) ***

This was really fun. It definitely eschews space adventure in favor of more broad comedy, but largely to its advantage -- II and III were both in that vein, so the light touch is a refreshing change. The message comes across as occasionally heavy-handed and Catherine Hicks is rather annoying as the whale-lover, but overall this was an enjoyable ride.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
(1989) **

This film has been much maligned in the intervening decades and I can sort of see why. My biggest issue with it is how much it feels like fan service -- it has so many beats designed seemingly to please Trekkies, while the more successful films in the series tried to be good films first and fan service second. So while hanging out with Kirk and the boys has its charms, the film on the whole didn't work. In particular, the climax seems woefully underwritten (i've been reading about the reasons for that).

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 pm
Critic

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) ***1/2

This just might be my favorite yet. Love Christopher Plummer as the Shakespeare-spouting villain, the elegaic feel of the whole film, the rousing battle scenes, the settings, and just about everything. Gonna miss the original cast.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:54 pm
Second Unit Director

You're too kind on V, James. I can't give more than one star to that crapfest. Nearly all of the "humor" insults the characters and Sybok just isn't interesting, nor is the preposterous god hunt plot. I'm grateful VI sent the original crew off in style.

I enjoy the TNG films more than many reviewers, and I'm curious to read your reactions.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

This just might be my favorite yet. Love Christopher Plummer as the Shakespeare-spouting villain, the elegaic feel of the whole film, the rousing battle scenes, the settings, and just about everything. Gonna miss the original cast.

I always thought this one was underappreciated. It sounds like a cheezoid touch, but calling attention to the departure of the original cast at the end was a terrific touch, particularly the note of childlike wonder and the signatures of the actors instead of just their names at the start of the credits. A big treat even for a fairweather fan such as myself.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I always thought this one was underappreciated. It sounds like a cheezoid touch, but calling attention to the departure of the original cast at the end was a terrific touch, particularly the note of childlike wonder and the signatures of the actors instead of just their names at the start of the credits. A big treat even for a fairweather fan such as myself.

I'm just glad they made VI; I remember the (100% deserved) poor box office for V had tongues wagging that they wouldn't make another Star Trek movie. (Not from reliable studio sources, but...) The characters and cast deserved better than to end on that low note. Thankfully The Undiscovered Country sent them off in style.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

That's my favourite Star Trek movie for pretty much the same reasons. I also like how every member of the crew has a litte moment to shine and how, in best Star Trek tradition, the story reflects real-life political issues (in this case, the end of the Cold War) and promotes humanistic values.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 am
Critic

Star Trek: Generations (1994) **

This was a weak film. The prologue with Kirk's

[Reveal] Spoiler:
first death of the movie

was good, though would have been better with Spock and McCoy rather than Chekov and Scotty. Then we cut to the TNG cast, who aren't introduced at all to a neophyte audience unfamiliar with the television show. (I actually had the same problem with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, for what it's worth). The writing and pacing are bad, with long periods of Captain Picard and Malcolm McDowell milling about in Nevada waiting for something to happen. The direction is flat and uninspired, and the Big Ideas aren't very interesting or well-sketched. When I rank all of the Star Trek films upon completion of this series, this one will assuredly be near the bottom.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

One of my many problems with Generations is: What's so bad about the Nexus?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 am
Critic

Alex wrote:
One of my many problems with Generations is: What's so bad about the Nexus?

Gotta give up your dreams for reality, man! But yeah I see your point

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 pm
Critic

Star Trek: First Contact (1996) **1/2

Since I've been watching these films, I've generally agreed with the critical consensus. Even numbered better, Wrath of Khan really good, Final Frontier pretty bad, etc. However, I'm not with everyone on First Contact. I found that there were effective moments, but some major issues. The plot switches back and forth between a light-hearted time travel romp and an Alien-esque action plot in a way I found disjointed. In addition, the scenes set on earth had no urgency at all. It's not like Back to the Future where they have to work really hard to make sure a certain event happens -- in this movie they just need to sit back, watch history unfurl, and make some humorous observations. The whole plot could have been cut.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next