Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Oscar Live-Thoughts 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Oscar Live-Thoughts
*sigh*

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 am
Cinematographer

aIGHT,that's it, I'm done lo9s8ign. No more.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
aIGHT,that's it, I'm done lo9s8ign. No more.

No Pedro NOOOO!!!!

Stay up brother, please!!!!!

allmost there Peeds...hang man....

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 am
Critic

Hugh Jackman! OH MY GOD WHAT A SURPRISE!

....just kidding

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 am
Cinematographer

She didn't even open the envelope!!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Go DDL! THE performance of the year! Incredible!

Second Unit Director

Wow. The Oscars sure are heavy on spoilers tonight...

I absolutely SUCK at watching the best films/performances of the years according to the Academy...

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am
Second Unit Director

Daniel Day Lewis is one of the most genuine people in hollywood, and I couldn't be happier for him. I'm glad he's the first guy to win 3 in the leading category.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 am

BANGS!!!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 am
Cinematographer

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Critic

*Sighs* Argo...a solid but somewhat superficial thriller, is the Best Picture of the Year. I guess it could have been worse and been Les Mis, but there wasn't much challenging about it

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 am
Producer

I loved Argo. Is it my favorite of the year? No. Is it even my favorite among the nominees? Nope. But I still loved it.

I've seen six out of the 9 nominated films. Here is how I would rank them:

1. Life of Pi
2. Lincoln
3. Argo
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Silver Linings Playbook
6. Django Unchained

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 am
Second Unit Director

Well, it's been fun guys. Not too many surprises. Congratulations to whoever wins the competition. I look forward to the live chat next year!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 am

Look, I havent seen Argo, but I honestly like Mr Ben Affleck. Why? He seems likes a working mans director to me. He's been through a lot of shit, but comes out learning from it...homeboy is taking notes and applying it to his films. Reminds me a bit of Jon Favs, another one of my favorites. I don't know, just seems likes a working man's, you know, blue collar mans win for tinight. You have to admit he's been through some shit to get to this point.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 am
Cinematographer

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 am
Profile WWW

So I have to rewind the DVR but did Moonrise get any love tonight...just curious...???

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 am
Director

Moonrise didn't get anything.

I can't say I'm too unhappy about any of the winners. Although Django...Boy, if any aspiring screenwriters take that as a literal inspiration, God help them.

By the way, much of the praise for Argo has centered around "they dont' make thrillers like this anymore." Which older thrillers does it remind you of? Just curious, I still haven't seen it myself.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Producer

Django has its virtues, but it's not the most tightly constructed piece of writing QT has done. It might be a "sorry we didn't give you anything for your previous movie, which was way better" kind of award.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 am
Second Unit Director

WOW! Life of Pi surprised quite a number of people today.

Pedro, What do you think about it? I kind of agree with Berard saying that people will vote for it as a protest against Affleck not being nominated at all. At least, that is what it felt to me. Best Music Score was a shock because I don't remember anything about Life of Pi's score. I was sure it was going to be John "fucking" Williams.

Gedmud wrote:
Daniel Day Lewis is one of the most genuine people in hollywood, and I couldn't be happier for him. I'm glad he's the first guy to win 3 in the leading category.
Totally agree with this. With most actors, all the humility and niceness feels so fake that it can be seen from a mile away, but DDL just seems like one of those guys you want to know in real life. Such a terrific actor and seems amazingly human to me as well. I am so glad he took it home even though I thought Phoenix gave a marginally superior performance. Oh well, Phoenix is not going to win any with an attitude like that.

JamesKunz wrote:
*Sighs* Argo...a solid but somewhat superficial thriller, is the Best Picture of the Year. I guess it could have been worse and been Les Mis, but there wasn't much challenging about it
I'd take it over other Best Picture winners in recent memory. One it wasn't Oscar-bait. It was just a damn fine motion picture with no intention of swaying the Academy. Two, I actually think it is one of the best films of the year, definitely in my top tier. Three, Ben Affleck seems like a genuine dude as ilovemovies mentioned above. His emotions felt real to me, and I was glad he got this one. Four, I don't get this general indifference towards mainstream films as opposed to something like The Master. From a filmmaking perspective, they're equally different to bring on-screen. Yes, something like The Master may provide more food-for-thought while Argo may not. But, for me, taking a tense and taut thriller like Argo requires an equal mastery of the craft as something like The Master. (And, yes, I am using The Master simply as an example of entertainment vs art. There are countless examples on either side, Zero Dark Thirty for example.)

Argo winning Best Picture was the one I wanted the most along with Skyfall for cinematography. But we all know that the Academy defines cinematography differently from the rest of us mortals, so that was always going to be a long shot.

There weren't any memorable speeches, and only Jennifer Lawrence's (yes, I still got the hots for her) "You're all standing only because I fell and want to make me feel better..." along with DDL's quote on Streep and himself were memorable at all.

Seth McFarlane proved to be the best Oscar host I've ever watched. He stayed away from the distasteful jokes for the most part and almost all of his jokes and gags were right on the money. I would definitely welcome him next year as well.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next