Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 pm

SNITCH 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: SNITCH
Vexer wrote:
Side Effects, the movie everyone loved was ironically the one film I had no interest in seeing at all.

Ironically?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:53 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
I think March has some good looking movies. Dead Man Down, Oz the Great and Powerful, The Place Beyond the Pines.

Also, Olympus Has Fallen looks to be a great guilty pleasure flick.

Burt Wonderstone looks hilarious. Steve Carell and Jim Carey playing rival magicians? Sign me up.

And I love Tina Fey and Paul Rudd so I'm looking forward to Admission.

Don't forget G.I. Joe Retaliation. Olympus looks pretty cool, Not so excited about Oz though.

Pass.

I am looking forward to Dead Man Down, simply because the Internet trailers and TV spots proclaim that it is from the director of the original The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I am interested in Oz simply because I have been seeing trailers and TV spots for it since last summer. It's a shame that White House Down will be released only a few months after Olympus.

I am not in the least bit interested in Burt Wonderstone and Admission. Carell and Fey are much more watchable on television than they are on screen, especially after the abysmal Date Night.

Considering we don't even have a teaser for White House Down yet, i'm wondering if it will get pushed back a few months, that might be the best thing, since right now it's supposed to come out the same weekend as Kick Ass 2 and The Heat, both of which could potentially steal much of the film's audience.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm
Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
Hell, even the Michael Bay film looks better than anything in March.

I saw the trailer for Pain & Gain, and it has a goofy vibe to it. I heard it's a relatively low-budget film by Bay's standards, and that he's really scaled back. It could end up being interesting.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 pm
Producer

Yep. Pain and Gain looks like it could Bay's best film since Armageddon. Yes, I know a lot of people hated that movie, but I friggin' LOVED it. It's the ultimate guilty pleasure.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:02 am
Producer

Quote:
Willis didn't exactly fail, the new Die Hard may not have been liked by critics, but it's certainly doing pretty well at the box-office

Is it really doing well though? Sure, it was #1 at the box office, but it only did just under 25 mil, which for a Die Hard movie isn't that great. Plus, word of mouth is bound to make the movie have a massive drop this weekend and thus it's going to have a tough time making up it's 92 million dollar budget. Though the movie will make it up with international box office. But domestically, it'll flop, I'm willing to bet.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:10 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Quote:
Willis didn't exactly fail, the new Die Hard may not have been liked by critics, but it's certainly doing pretty well at the box-office

Is it really doing well though? Sure, it was #1 at the box office, but it only did just under 25 mil, which for a Die Hard movie isn't that great. Plus, word of mouth is bound to make the movie have a massive drop this weekend and thus it's going to have a tough time making up it's 92 million dollar budget. Though the movie will make it up with international box office. But domestically, it'll flop, I'm willing to bet.

Looks like you spoke too soon, the film has already made over 120 million dollars.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:15 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Quote:

Looks like you spoke too soon, the film has already made over 120 million dollars.

How much is international? $90 million?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

James, just out of curiosity, how much does something like "shakey-cam" affect your rating? If this film had played it "straight," so to speak, might it have gained an extra half-star or two?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:47 pm
Director

Die Hard 5 needs to make roughly 230 million to turn a profit. It won't do that domestically. Internationally, yes. But the film has underperformed.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:28 pm
Site Admin

Taleswapper wrote:
James, just out of curiosity, how much does something like "shakey-cam" affect your rating? If this film had played it "straight," so to speak, might it have gained an extra half-star or two?

Hard to say because it would have been a different film.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

James sorry for asking, I know this is off topic but didn't know where else to put it. I was gonna ask why haven't you included Like Someone in Love in the list of your upcoming reviews. I was curious since you gave 3 and half stars to Certified Copy and the director is a known figure among the film society. Also the film has got really good reviews so far.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Site Admin

Master Virgo wrote:
James sorry for asking, I know this is off topic but didn't know where else to put it. I was gonna ask why haven't you included Like Someone in Love in the list of your upcoming reviews. I was curious since you gave 3 and half stars to Certified Copy and the director is a known figure among the film society. Also the film has got really good reviews so far.

It's not on my immediate radar, which means a press screening hasn't been announced. Doesn't mean I won't see it, though. Sometimes smaller films don't get screenings until just before they open.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Finally got around to seeing this today and was really impressed overall, it's much more of a drama then an action film, and it's a very effective one at that, Johnson shows that he can really act and gives his best performance to date, the supporting cast does OK(Sarandon does admittedly phone it in though), i've come to the conclusion that I must've seen a different film then JB, because there was very little shak-ycam during the action scenes, they were pretty tense and well-directed, especially the truck chase, a far cry from the incomprehensible mess that the chase scene in Bourne Supremacy was. The drama scenes were very effective and didn't feel emotionally manipulative in the least, there was a real sense of danger permeating throughout the film, and Roman makes you doubt whether John will manage to make it out alive, I really hope Johnson does more performances like this one.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 am