Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:54 am

What would you pick? 
Director

Post What would you pick?
what movie would you pick for JB to review if you won the Beat Berardinelli Oscar contest? Incidentally the deadline for the contest ends tomorrow, and I see a lot of the regulars here haven't entered yet. Hopefully, more of you do. Pete, Cook, NotHugh, Threeperf, Bajai, etc. the more that enter the better the chances are that we get a new JB review(since I'm sure if any of the the new users that registered just for this contest win they will chose getting a dvd from amazon instead of the review)

here is where you post ballots:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6279

If I won, it would be a tough decision. Part of me wants to pick something great that I think JB hasn't seen, pick a personal favorite, pick a softcore flick(for laughs), pick Terms of Endearment(I'm skeptical he will ever resume his reviews of Best Picture winners)

Here are some of the titles I'm considering.

Nightmare Alley(great lesser known noir)
Weekend(I know he hates the French New Wave, so I'm curious to hear what he thinks of Godard)
Balthazar(another famous New Wave)
Tokyo Story
Sansho the Bailiff
The Earrings of Madame de...(Ophuls is one of many classic directors he's never reviewed)
Make Way for Tomorrow
Waterloo Bridge
Winchester '73
Seconds
Wake In Fright
The Naked Prey
Hail the Conquering Hero
The Collector(William Wyler)
Bloody Birthday(weird early 80s horror film - could be a fun review)
Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge

hopefully I can influence anyone who wins.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:52 pm
Auteur

Post Re: What would you pick?
Here's a few titles i'm considering:
Armored
Four Brothers
Colombiana
Piranha 3DD
Killers(2010)
The Campaign
One For The Money

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 pm
Cinematographer

I'm thinking Grave Of The Fireflies, or maybe something like Wings Of Desire or Mystery Train or My Neighbor Totoro. Something good.

Some really intriguing choices on your list, calvero.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I'm definitely going to enter. I have no idea what I'd pick, but I'll definitely pick something for him to review should I win (which I won't). Like calvero said in the other thread, I think it's better for everyone to get some enjoyment out of winning. That said, I don't want to sound preachy, and if anyone reading this wins and there's some Blu-ray they've been eyeing for months, by all means, scoop it up.

I like the suggestions of Winchester '73 and Wings of Desire. Both movies are fantastic and deserve to be reviewed by James.

It would also be kind of cool to have him review Wake In Fright since we're about to watch that for the movie club. My copy arrived yesterday and I'll probably watch it at some point this weekend.

If I end up winning, I'll likely pick something off the wall that I find excellent just to hear James' thoughts that likely won't match up with mine.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm
Director

I would like to see him review I Spit On Your Grave...but review it from a feminist perspective. Or perhaps the original Dawn of the Dead, with an emphasis on its consumerist subtext.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm
Director

Quote:
Armored
Four Brothers
Colombiana
Piranha 3DD
Killers(2010)
The Campaign
One For The Money

little surprised in your choices. thought you'd go for some more obscure flicks, I thought you were a fan of many direct to dvd titles.

Quote:
If I end up winning, I'll likely pick something off the wall that I find excellent just to hear James' thoughts that likely won't match up with mine.

I would love to pick something James hasn't seen(no way to know what he's seen but I think a few of mine have good odds of being 1st time viewings - Nightmare Alley, Naked Prey, The Collector)

Right now I think I'm leaning towards Wake In Fright.
what are some of your 'off the wall' candidates?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:35 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Armored
Four Brothers
Colombiana
Piranha 3DD
Killers(2010)
The Campaign
One For The Money

little surprised in your choices. thought you'd go for some more obscure flicks, I thought you were a fan of many direct to dvd titles.

Quote:

I would love to pick something James hasn't seen(no way to know what he's seen but I think a few of mine have good odds of being 1st time viewings - Nightmare Alley, Naked Prey, The Collector)

Right now I think I'm leaning towards Wake In Fright.
what are some of your 'off the wall' candidates?

Oh I am, but those more obscure titles may not be availible on Netflix, so that's why i'm going with more mainstream titles.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm
Producer

Vexer - most of your choices are likely to get mediocre reviews. I much prefer to pick a movie that is going to get trashed and loved by James. But Piranha 3DD would probably get trashed. Everything else you chose would likely get a 1.5 - 2 star range. Although I could see James possibly liking Four Brothers. Maybe The Campaign, but that movie does unfortunately go soft at the end.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer - most of your choices are likely to get mediocre reviews. I much prefer to pick a movie that is going to get trashed and loved by James. But Piranha 3DD would probably get trashed. Everything else you chose would likely get a 1.5 - 2 star range. Although I could see James possibly liking Four Brothers. Maybe The Campaign, but that movie does unfortunately go soft at the end.

Well he gave the first Piranha 3 stars, so he might like the sequel as well. I could also see him liking Colombiana and Armored, not so sure about the others though.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:44 am
Director

I'd love to see a Winchester review from him. Neither Kael nor White have any trace of comment on Mann; very frustrating. So is Bloody Birthday good?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:29 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Well he gave the first Piranha 3 stars, so he might like the sequel as well. I could also see him liking Colombiana and Armored, not so sure about the others though.

Colombiana maybe. I liked it. But I see JB giving it 2-2.5 stars.

And no does Armored get anything more than 2, MAYBE 2.5 stars. It's not a bad film, but it's very predictable and doesn't really go beyond being mediocre. At best, it's just slightly above average. Most definitely not deserving of anything beyond 2.5 stars. I see him giving it 2 though.

Killers might get a really bad review. Calling it mediocre is being a little generous.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:57 am
Second Unit Director

My go-to pick is Koyaanisqatsi, but I could just as easily go with Dogtooth or Letter From an Unknown Woman. There are many choices.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 am
Director

^I was thinking of Letter as well, but its not on netflix.

Pete & Cook only one hour left! This may be your best chance at ever seeing an Anthony Mann film reviewed by JB.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:04 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
^I was thinking of Letter as well, but its not on netflix.

Pete & Cook only one hour left! This may be your best chance at ever seeing an Anthony Mann film reviewed by JB.

Boooo that rule. In that case, I guess I'd have to choose Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie in the event of my unlikely win.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 pm
Cinematographer

It all depends. In some ways, I would kind of like to get a DVD, seeing as I'm not sure what film to pick for James to review.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 pm
Producer

The Machine Girl

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
It all depends. In some ways, I would kind of like to get a DVD, seeing as I'm not sure what film to pick for James to review.

Don't do it, man! At least auction off your choice if you win. I'd bet someone (or a group of someones) would pony up a little money to get a certain review. I feel like all active forum members should see to a review happening one way or another.

I'd probably go with Sansho the Bailiff; not sure if JB has seen it. But Wake in Fright would be interesting too, as well as something like Cutter's Way. I'd fret over it for a while, certainly.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm
Critic

Doubt I'll win, but I think I'd go with They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 pm
Director

calvero wrote:

There's always this:

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_tem ... ntifier=89

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:16 pm
Director

skimming the ballots....I think I have a good shot at winning this(Ang Lee was big)

if I lose because of this stupid Seth Macfarlane song pushing it past 12:01, I'm gonna be pissed.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 am