Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:04 pm

SNITCH 
Site Admin

Post SNITCH
Click here for the review of Snitch

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: SNITCH
Funny, i've ever heard quite a few other critics praise Roman's directing in this film, like Roeper here http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130220/REVIEWS/130229996 to each his own I guess. Looks like a decent enough film, but even if it dosen't succeed, Johnson still has that new G.I. Joe film to fall back on next month.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm
Second Unit Director

"It's not just that Sarandon isn't invested in her character but that Johnson is actually doing more than flexing his muscles and looking threatening."

She's probably just cashing a paycheck with this film. It wouldn't be the first time *cough* Mr. Woodcock *cough*.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
"It's not just that Sarandon isn't invested in her character but that Johnson is actually doing more than flexing his muscles and looking threatening."

She's probably just cashing a paycheck with this film. It wouldn't be the first time *cough* Mr. Woodcock *cough*.

There's also Speed Racer.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm
Second Unit Director

I think if you give that director guy a tripod, The Rock is just going to take it. Shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch sideways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP SOMEBODY'S CANDY-ASS....jabroni.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:36 pm
Second Unit Director

Interesting how Ebert doesn't mention the shakiness once, and even says...

"Directed with impressive action style and a surprisingly gifted touch for family emotions by longtime stuntman Ric Roman Waugh,"

"Everyone is excellent, notably Barry Pepper..."

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 pm
Auteur

mrguinness wrote:
Interesting how Ebert doesn't mention the shakiness once, and even says...

"Directed with impressive action style and a surprisingly gifted touch for family emotions by longtime stuntman Ric Roman Waugh,"

"Everyone is excellent, notably Barry Pepper..."

Ebert didn't review it, Richard Roeper did.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm
Producer

Wow. I think James totally overreacted with the shaky cam stuff. Yes, there is hand held camera work, but I found it to be well done for the most. Not nauseating at all. Bourne Supremacy/Cloverfield/Battle: LA this is not.

I thought this was a well acted and mostly entertaining movie. Good performances particularly by Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal, who is excellent, and Dwayne Johnson himself is quite good. Loved Bryan Pepper as well but I wish he had more to do. Susan Surandon is pretty wasted as well. I think they should have developed the father/son relationship a little more. It would have given the movie more weight. And the ending was a tad anticlimatic. But in general, it's an enjoyable movie.

It's a 3 star movie for me.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Ebert didn't review it, Richard Roeper did.

Reaper....

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:34 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Wow. I think James totally overreacted with the shaky cam stuff. Yes, there is hand held camera work, but I found it to be well done for the most. Not nauseating at all. Bourne Supremacy/Cloverfield/Battle: LA this is not.

I thought this was a well acted and mostly entertaining movie. Good performances particularly by Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal, who is excellent, and Dwayne Johnson himself is quite good. Loved Bryan Pepper as well but I wish he had more to do. Susan Surandon is pretty wasted as well. I think they should have developed the father/son relationship a little more. It would have given the movie more weight. And the ending was a tad anticlimatic. But in general, it's an enjoyable movie.

It's a 3 star movie for me.

Good to know it's not like Supremacy(though I thought Battle LA actually made good use of the technique), it's cool that Johnson has like five films coming out this year(Fast And Furious 6, G.I. Joe, Pain And Gain, and Empire State), at least one of them is a guranteed hit.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm
Gaffer

So basically, Arnold fail, Statham fail, Stallone fail, Willis fail and now The Rock fail. Next in the line, Vin Diesel with Riddick.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm
Cinematographer

Usually, February ends up improving on January's releases, and March shows up just in time to be the savior of cinema. Not this year. The only major release I cared for this month was Side Effects, and March certainly looks no better.

Oh, well. Just a few more months until Iron Man 3.

The shaky-cam effect was not the film's worst aspect, although I disagree with you, Vexer. I think that Greengrass used the technique effectively in Ultimatum.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm
Gaffer

tbh I'm looking forward to Jack the Giant Slayer, it's Singer/McQuarrie after all. And Stoker doesn't seem bad either. Not to mention Place Beyond Pines.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Usually, February ends up improving on January's releases, and March shows up just in time to be the savior of cinema. Not this year. The only major release I cared for this month was Side Effects, and March certainly looks no better.

Oh, well. Just a few more months until Iron Man 3.

The shaky-cam effect was not the film's worst aspect, although I disagree with you, Vexer. I think that Greengrass used the technique effectively in Ultimatum.

Ultimatum was mildly better about it I suppose, but I still found the action scenes more confusing then exciting, and I didn't know why Greengrass felt he had to use the shaky-cam during the dialogue scenes as well, what purpose did that serve? Though I will admit Greengrass did use the technique effectively in Green Zone.
Master Virgo wrote:
So basically, Arnold fail, Statham fail, Stallone fail, Willis fail and now The Rock fail. Next in the line, Vin Diesel with Riddick.
Willis didn't exactly fail, the new Die Hard may not have been liked by critics, but it's certainly doing pretty well at the box-office, plus he also has RED 2 coming out, which seems like a surefire hit. Side Effects, the movie everyone loved was ironically the one film I had no interest in seeing at all. Jack The Giant Slayer looks pretty bad IMO, not surprised it got delayed, Stoker and Place Beyond The Pines don't look particularly interesting to me either.

Vin Diesel also has the new FAF film, which is pretty much a guranteed hit, so that will make up for Riddick if it dosen't do well(though I certainly hope it does)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:28 pm
Cinematographer

Master Virgo wrote:
tbh I'm looking forward to Jack the Giant Slayer, it's Singer/McQuarrie after all. And Stoker doesn't seem bad either. Not to mention Place Beyond Pines.

I have already seen both Stoker and Pines, although I am looking forward to seeing both for a second time, especially the latter. My second favorite film of 2013 thus far.

Are there any major releases this month that don't look entirely painful, or do I just have to wait until Iron Man 3?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 pm
Site Admin

Sean wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:

I have already seen both Stoker and Pines, although I am looking forward to seeing both for a second time, especially the latter. My second favorite film of 2013 thus far.

Are there any major releases this month that don't look entirely painful, or do I just have to wait until Iron Man 3?

There are a few April releases that have potential. They certainly look better than anything in March. Hell, even the Michael Bay film looks better than anything in March.

Only two three-star movies thus far? And one was for a leftover (and I might have been a little on the generous side). After the greatness of November and December, this January/February has really been a slap in the face.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

James Berardinelli wrote:
Sean wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:

There are a few April releases that have potential. They certainly look better than anything in March. Hell, even the Michael Bay film looks better than anything in March.

Only two three-star movies thus far? And one was for a leftover (and I might have been a little on the generous side). After the greatness of November and December, this January/February has really been a slap in the face.

I think March has potential, Dead Man Down looks really good.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 pm
Producer

I think March has some good looking movies. Dead Man Down, Oz the Great and Powerful, The Place Beyond the Pines.

Also, Olympus Has Fallen looks to be a great guilty pleasure flick.

Burt Wonderstone looks hilarious. Steve Carell and Jim Carey playing rival magicians? Sign me up.

And I love Tina Fey and Paul Rudd so I'm looking forward to Admission.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:29 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I think March has some good looking movies. Dead Man Down, Oz the Great and Powerful, The Place Beyond the Pines.

Burt Wonderstone looks hilarious. Steve Carell and Jim Carey playing rival magicians? Sign me up.

Don't forget G.I. Joe Retaliation. Olympus looks pretty cool, Not so excited about Oz though.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 am
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Don't forget G.I. Joe Retaliation. Olympus looks pretty cool, Not so excited about Oz though.

Pass.

I am looking forward to Dead Man Down, simply because the Internet trailers and TV spots proclaim that it is from the director of the original The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I am interested in Oz simply because I have been seeing trailers and TV spots for it since last summer. It's a shame that White House Down will be released only a few months after Olympus.

I am not in the least bit interested in Burt Wonderstone and Admission. Carell and Fey are much more watchable on television than they are on screen, especially after the abysmal Date Night.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:44 am