Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012 
Producer

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012
Nonsense, Mr. Kunz. I think we all enjoy a good laugh around here.

Don't we?

*strokes a white Persian cat*

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 pm
Second Unit Director

I'd like to tip my hate in favor of Perks of Being a Wallflower for the following categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor - Logan Lerman, Best Supporting Actress - Emma Watson (Yes, Hermoine Granger actually delivers a wonderful performance with a lot of depth.), Best Supporting Actor - Ezra Miller, and Best Use of Music. This is one of 2012's gems which I feel has been completely overlooked in these parts.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
I'd like to tip my hate in favor of Perks of Being a Wallflower for the following categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor - Logan Lerman, Best Supporting Actress - Emma Watson (Yes, Hermoine Granger actually delivers a wonderful performance with a lot of depth.), Best Supporting Actor - Ezra Miller, and Best Use of Music. This is one of 2012's gems which I feel has been completely overlooked in these parts.

I'll piggyback these suggestions. I saw the film a few days ago and it's pretty solid. I'm not sure I'll actually put the film anywhere on my ballot, but it's pretty close to being mentioned here and there, especially in weaker categories. I'm having a hard time filling up the supporting actor category with credible performances, so Ezra might show up there.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:31 pm
Producer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

I'm not surprised. I always thought she was the best thing about the otherwise overrated My Week with Marilyn.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 am
Second Unit Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
Perfect Sense: Best Picture, Best Actor (Ewan McGregor), Best Actress (Eva Green), Best Musical Score (Max Richter), probably some others

I have absolutely no idea why Perfect Sense was greeted with almost widespread critical indifference. I've seen it twice now, and both times I've found it one of the most emotional film experiences of the last year. It's an apocalyptic tale that somehow manages to reaffirm everything that is wonderful about humanity. For any forum posters who haven't seen it yet, and from my knowledge JamesKunz is the only other one who has, I urge you to give it a chance.
I probably would've missed this one if weren't for recommendations from yourself and James, but I agree with this post completely. I'll probably have it for Best Cinematography and a couple of others as well (maybe Best Editing) besides the ones you mentioned. It really is one of the truest life-affirming films I've seen in a while, and one that deserves multiple viewings.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Perfect Sense: Best Picture, Best Actor (Ewan McGregor), Best Actress (Eva Green), Best Musical Score (Max Richter), probably some others

I have absolutely no idea why Perfect Sense was greeted with almost widespread critical indifference. I've seen it twice now, and both times I've found it one of the most emotional film experiences of the last year. It's an apocalyptic tale that somehow manages to reaffirm everything that is wonderful about humanity. For any forum posters who haven't seen it yet, and from my knowledge JamesKunz is the only other one who has, I urge you to give it a chance.
I probably would've missed this one if weren't for recommendations from yourself and James, but I agree with this post completely. I'll probably have it for Best Cinematography and a couple of others as well (maybe Best Editing) besides the ones you mentioned. It really is one of the truest life-affirming films I've seen in a while, and one that deserves multiple viewings.

Happy to be of service. I really wasn't expecting much when I first rented it from Redbox in the middle of last year, but it completely blew me away. I wondered if it would be just me singing its praises, but I feel validated that a couple others now on this forum have found it to be just as strong of an experience.

As a side note, for anyone who may be struggling to fill in some extra spaces in the Best Documentary category, Side By Side and The Imposter are now available for instant streaming on Netflix.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Jared Gilman), Best Actress (Kara Hayward), Best Original Screenplay, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, Best Use of Music, Best Sound Mixing
~Lincoln got twelve Oscar nominations when in reality it was Wes Anderson's latest that should've gotten that kind of attention. I've written on the board about how much I love this film; the only thing I'd love more than the film is to see it get its due at the Pedros. I honestly think that the lead actors are as good as any other premiere performances from this year (certainly better than a few) and the only reason why I didn't list anyone for the supporting categories is because I didn't know who to pick. They're all great. If you haven't seen this film, it's a real delight.
I saw the film for a second time today, and I completely agree with everything you've said. Pete's note on the cinematography is much more evident the second time around where you watch the film with a detached perspective rather than the first time when you're completely immersed in Anderson's wonderfully weird world. You can notice the motifs in terms of camera framing, spacing, and movements a lot better on subsequent viewings. Best Actor and Actress might be pushing it in my ballot, but it is sure to find a place in the rest of the categories.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Did anyone catch Samsara? Threeperf pimped it on the board some months ago and it's a great watch, AND an interesting choice for a lot of different categories.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:06 am
Director

I saw ~120 films last year, and the only one that put a big goofy grin on my face was Cabin in the Woods, which I think deserves a best original screenplay nomination. Django Unchained is the obvious other nomination in this category, but I think CitW is in some ways a better script.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4