Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

What Will Be JB's First (or Only) Four-Star Movie This Year? 
Cinematographer

Post What Will Be JB's First (or Only) Four-Star Movie This Year?
I honestly can see this year being just like 2007 (which, ironically, I consider to be one of the best years in cinematic history) and 2010, with James not giving a single film his highest rating. Nevertheless, if you were to choose one or two movies that you feel would receive four stars from him this year, what would they be?

I'm staying true to what I originally said. I do not believe that a single film will garner a perfect score from James this year. Perhaps it is the byproduct of my predisposed state of pessimism, but that's what I think.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm
Auteur

Post Re: What Will Be JB's First (or Only) Four-Star Movie This Year?
Agreed, I don't see him liking anything coming out this year that much.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 pm
Cinematographer

Is there a moderately intelligent science fiction movie with eye-popping visuals, and maybe some time travel as an added bonus, coming out this year? If so, my money would be on that.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
Is there a moderately intelligent science fiction movie with eye-popping visuals, and maybe some time travel as an added bonus, coming out this year? If so, my money would be on that.

Sounds like all the right material for a 4 star movie to me.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:45 pm
Auteur

Blonde Almond wrote:

Well there is that Sandra Bullock/George Clooney film "Gravity" which is supposed to come out in September, so I suppose he might give it 4 stars if he's feeling generous.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 pm
Producer

Blonde Almond wrote:

Oblivion could fit the bill. Possibly Gravity. Maybe Elysium?

Martin Scorsese can never be counted out. And his next Wolf of Wall Street sounds like it has plenty of potential.

James is a HUGE fan of the Before movies, so don't rule out a 4 star rating for Before Midnight. It's been getting amazing reviews from Sundance.

I've also heard amazing things about The Place Beyond the Pines a crime drama about fathers and sons starring Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling.

A few other titles with potential: Only God Forgives? Terrance Malick's latest movie To the Wonder? The Great Gatsby? Captain Phillips? American Bullshit? (yes, I know, that's not the title anymore, but until there is a new title that is what I'm calling it) Devil's Knot?

Finally, I know it's hard to envision a Zack Snyder movie getting 4 stars, but I honestly believe Man of Steel looks like it could actually be it. It's certainly my most anticipated movie of 2013 and the second trailer gave me chills, that's how amazing it looks.

There are other titles that sound promising as well. We have new films this year from the Coen brothers, Jason Reitman, Alexander Payne, Lars Von Trier, Wes Anderson, Spike Lee, Sofia Coppola among many others. I know 2013 isn't exactly off to a great start, but it still looks like it could be an incredible year.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Oblivion could fit the bill. Possibly Gravity. Maybe Elysium?

Martin Scorsese can never be counted out. And his next Wolf of Wall Street sounds like it has plenty of potential.

James is a HUGE fan of the Before movies, so don't rule out a 4 star rating for Before Midnight. It's been getting amazing reviews from Sundance.

I've also heard amazing things about The Place Beyond the Pines a crime drama about fathers and sons starring Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling.

A few other titles with potential: Only God Forgives? Terrance Malick's latest movie To the Wonder? The Great Gatsby? Captain Phillips? American Bullshit? (yes, I know, that's not the title anymore, but until there is a new title that is what I'm calling it) Devil's Knot?

Finally, I know it's hard to envision a Zack Snyder movie getting 4 stars, but I honestly believe Man of Steel looks like it could actually be it. It's certainly my most anticipated movie of 2013 and the second trailer gave me chills, that's how amazing it looks.

There are other titles that sound promising as well. We have new films this year from the Coen brothers, Jason Reitman, Alexander Payne, Lars Von Trier, Wes Anderson, Spike Lee, Sofia Coppola among many others. I know 2013 isn't exactly off to a great start, but it still looks like it could be an incredible year.
Maybe After Earth as well?

I can't see JB being all that impressed with Great Gatsby. Also, that American BS film isn't supposed to come out until 2014.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:52 pm
Producer

Even if After Earth ends up being a return to form for Shyamalan, I still don't see that getting 4 stars. James gave Unbreakable and Signs 3 stars. And I don't think After Earth will be better than Unbreakable, which is, along side with The Sixth Sense, Shyamalan's best film and probably will forever be his best.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:29 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Slowly turning into a must-see thread for me.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 am
Producer

When I rewatched Inception, a recurring thought I had was that Nolan's story was utterly brilliant, but I wished that he hadn't directed it himself and that he'd brought in another screenwriter to give his dialogue another pass or two. He's very inventive, but he's very literal-minded. I think he needs collaborators with better cinematic story sense than he does to really bring out the best in his great ideas.

So that's what I'm betting on for Man of Steel. Despite Snyder being at the helm and Goyer on screenwriting duties, it will very much be Nolan's movie, with Snyder lending an eye and Goyer lending the words.

If I'm right, it very well might be the movie we're looking for. I think. I hope.

The Lost In Space/zip-loc bag costume is troubling, though.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:22 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Even if After Earth ends up being a return to form for Shyamalan, I still don't see that getting 4 stars. James gave Unbreakable and Signs 3 stars. And I don't think After Earth will be better than Unbreakable, which is, along side with The Sixth Sense, Shyamalan's best film and probably will forever be his best.

I was mostly joking with that statement. I disagree about Sixth Sense being his best film though, like JB, I thought it was an overrated piece of crap with a not-at-all surprising twist, I actually liked Happening better, sure it was bad, but at least it was fun bad and not tedious bad like most of his other films are.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 am
Producer

Unbreakable is easily M. Night's best, Sixth Sense-esque perfunctory twist notwithstanding.

Note: I have not seen a lot of his movies, because they look awful.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 am
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Unbreakable is easily M. Night's best, Sixth Sense-esque perfunctory twist notwithstanding.

Note: I have not seen a lot of his movies, because they look awful.

Believe me, they're even worse then they look.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:37 am
Producer

Besides Sixth Sense and Unbreakable I liked Signs (bad ending notwithstanding) and it gets a lot of hate, but I actually enjoyed Lady in the Water.

But The Village and The Happening both are bad and The Last Airbender is nearly unwatchable.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 am
Director

Ken wrote:
Unbreakable is easily M. Night's best

Seconding this. The Sixth Sense is easily the most overpraised movie of the late 1990s (aside from Titanic and Titanic is ahead of it from a technical level at least). The big plot twist I figured out halfway through the movie and when one takes that out of the equation you're left with a generic horror story. Unbreakable had a more interesting premise and you couldn't spot the twist coming a mile away. Hell, I liked the mich malgined The Village better than The Sixth Sense. That being said I pretty much gave up on Shymalan after that one.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Besides Sixth Sense and Unbreakable I liked Signs (bad ending notwithstanding) and it gets a lot of hate, but I actually enjoyed Lady in the Water.

But The Village and The Happening both are bad and The Last Airbender is nearly unwatchable.

I despised Lady In The Water, it had one of the most ridiculous storylines in a movie ever, it was filled with incredibly annoying one-dimensional characters, the stupidest moment in the film is when the critic get killed, that was Shyamalan's extremely immature response to the poor reception of his films, dude your films suck, get over it already! Signs had other bad stuff besides the ending, Gibson's acting was surprisingly poor, and the pacing was terrible.

I agree that Unbreakable was his best in that it was the only film of his(besides Happening) that didn't make me want to slit my own wrists, but it was still rather mediocre.

After Earth is the first film of his that actually looks good.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 pm
Cinematographer

Say what you will, but I think that The Sixth Sense and Signs are Shyamalan's two greatest films.

I can honestly see Elysium getting four stars from JB, provided that it surpasses the high standard set by District 9. It seems as if James has only been handing out four-star ratings to exceptional science-fiction films and ultraviolent works of art, as evidenced by his top-notch reviews for Avatar and Looper, as well as Inglourious Basterds and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. That being said, I can still see Elysium coming up short and ending up with ***1/2, perhaps even ***, given JB's penchant for being a harsher critic.

Way too early for this, but I thought that I would throw out some early predictions anyway. Here we go:

I saw The Place Beyond the Pines and Before Midnight at TIFF and Sundance respectively. The former is my second favorite film of the year thus far. The latter is my first. In fact, I'm almost certain that Before Midnight will do well with James. It is at an unprecedented 98 out of 100 on Metacritic right now. It should drop once more critics see it, but it looks solid for the time being.

Only God Forgives looks more accessible than Drive, perhaps serving as the Pulp Fiction to Nicolas Winding Refn's Reservoir Dogs. Only time can tell.

Don't bet on To the Wonder, which is getting very mixed reviews at the moment (I think that it represents the nadir of Malick's filmography), The Wolf of Wall Street (it doesn't look like a traditional Scorsese crime thriller, which is what James admires the most), and After Earth (James will probably give it ** or **1/2). Gravity looks fine, but James will probably consider it unremarkable.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:34 pm
Gaffer

56 Up?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 pm
Producer

Obviously The Croods and Turbo.

Really, I have no idea, though Oblivion is certainly a possibility. All three films look like they could be good.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 am
Producer

After reading some reviews/reactions to the movie over at South by Southwest, I'm 100% convinced that James is gonna give Before Midnight 4 stars!

Now will it be the first? Or will there be a movie before to get 4 stars? It probably will be the first. Because the only movie I could possibly see getting 4 stars is Oblivion. Possibly The Place Beyond the Pines.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 am