Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 pm

SUDDEN IMPACT (1983) 
Site Admin

Post SUDDEN IMPACT (1983)
Click here for the review of Sudden Impact (1983)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: SUDDEN IMPACT (1983)
So what's your views on the rest of the Dirty Harry movies?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:27 pm
To be frank, other than the first film, I've never really had much drive to see any of the others. I get the feeling from this review that the original Dirty Harry isn't one of your favorites, James.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:38 pm
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:
To be frank, other than the first film, I've never really had much drive to see any of the others. I get the feeling from this review that the original Dirty Harry isn't one of your favorites, James.

I like Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool. I don't much care for the other three. Dirty Harry is watchable but I have no love for Magnum Force or The Enforcer. (In preparation for this review, I re-watched all five of them.)

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I like Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool. I don't much care for the other three. Dirty Harry is watchable but I have no love for Magnum Force or The Enforcer. (In preparation for this review, I re-watched all five of them.)

Man...I love this guy more and more.

He watched 5 movies to prep a review for one of them. After viewing Watchmen, he stayed up all night to read the graphic novel to be able to give the proper review the following day.

Just a couple of instances...but wow, thank you for your thoroughness. It is appreciated.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 pm
Site Admin

ram1312 wrote:
He watched 5 movies to prep a review for one of them. After viewing Watchmen, he stayed up all night to read the graphic novel to be able to give the proper review the following day.

Just a couple of instances...but wow, thank you for your thoroughness. It is appreciated.

I will not, however, be watching episode of HANNAH MONTANA to prep for that movie. There are limits. :)

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 am
Profile WWW
ram1312 wrote:

I will not, however, be watching episode of HANNAH MONTANA to prep for that movie. There are limits. :)

:D

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

James,

I was personally surprised and a little disappointed that you reviewed this film versus some other 1983 candidates.

But I have to say I'm very impressed that you watched the entire series to review it.

Hats off to you!

Rob

PS - Or maybe someone else in the household is the real Clint fan?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:24 pm
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:
PS - Or maybe someone else in the household is the real Clint fan?

Her response to that would be, I believe, a rather undignified, "Eewwww!" Johnny Depp - yes. Christian Bale - yes. Clint Eastwood - no, not even in his prime.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Yes cause woman just don't know the love between a man, his gun and a whole bunch of dead bodies.

Also, I think Rob was talking about your cat(s), even he's not stupid enough to say that Clint appeals to woman in any way :lol:

Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:48 pm
ram1312 wrote:

What about the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus concert movie? Made me realize that none of Hannah Montana's songs are good while there's one Miley Cyrus song that I like...that song is "See You Again." for anyone wondering

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:12 pm
Second Unit Director

I have one minor disagreement with JB's review: I don't agree that "Dirty Harry is not a political character and the movies are not right-wing propaganda." Listen to the commentary on the Magnum Force DVD by John Milius, who wrote the screenplay for Magnum Force and co-wrote the original Dirty Harry. He clearly admits that the character of Harry Callahan was written specifically to combat what he perceived to be a left-wing and anti-victims bias in Hollywood in the early 1970's. Note that the third film in the series, The Enforcer, had a much different message, and John Milius was not a writer, IIRC.

BTW, it's a hoot listening to Milius talk about the Dirty Harry character and series. With a hoarse, raspy voice, you can picture this guy sitting there watching the movie with a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of scotch.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm
Oh my goodness, I just threw up in my mouth a little. I am by no means a huge Dirty Harry fan, but I think the movies were good. I AM a rationale human being and the thought of remaking them never crossed my mind. What has not been remade or co-opted these days? TV Shows, Toys, Comic Books, etc. Just think of who they would cast.... Vin Diesel? I am not a total purist, but that would just be wrong.
Didn;t we just get "Dirty Harry Retires" with "Gran Torino"?

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:02 am
dubes123 wrote:
... Just think of who they would cast.... Vin Diesel? I am not a total purist, but that would just be wrong.
Didn;t we just get "Dirty Harry Retires" with "Gran Torino"?

Lol....shhhhhh. You do NOT realize the situation you will get yourself in on this board bashing Vin Diesel ;)

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 am
I am not bashing Vin Diesel. He is god in roles meant for him. Just not as an iconic, one of a kind character. They should get Chris Klein.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:47 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Wow. I hope I don't come across negatively, but that's honestly the first time I've seen anyone familiar with the Dirty Harry films say they like Sudden Impact or The Dead Pool over the original or Magnum Force.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:11 pm
Ah, Dirty Harry. I like the Dirty Harry films, and Sudden Impact was I think the most emotionally satisfying in terms of it had it all. Action, comedy, drama, and the story and character was well thought out. If I was to be objective I would cite criticism from others that the bad guys in the film are so reprehensible that they were unrealistic. That was the point though, they had to be so bad they got off on the gang rape of two women, they enjoy how much harm they caused. But no, definetly, I'm glad you reviewed this and shared your thoughts.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 pm