Auteur

Post Re: Rank Die Hard Movies
patrick wrote:
Die Hard - 10/10
Die Hard 3 - 9/10
Die Hard 4 - 7/10
Die Hard 5 - 5/10
Die Hard 2 - 4/10

i waited until I saw the fifth one to do this. Bring back John McTiernan for the sixth one!

That might be kind of difficult considering that he's serving time in federal prison for his involvement in the Anthony Pellicano scandal.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 pm
Director

patrick wrote:
Die Hard - 10/10
Die Hard 3 - 9/10
Die Hard 4 - 7/10
Die Hard 5 - 5/10
Die Hard 2 - 4/10

i waited until I saw the fifth one to do this. Bring back John McTiernan for the sixth one!

The Lethal Weapon series at least knew when it was time to end.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
patrick wrote:
Die Hard - 10/10
Die Hard 3 - 9/10
Die Hard 4 - 7/10
Die Hard 5 - 5/10
Die Hard 2 - 4/10

There was talk of another LW film for quite some time, but after Gibson's troubles with the law, no studio wanted any part of it, and now Gibson says he has no interest in doing another film anyways.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Last I heard they're rebooting Lethal Weapon.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm
Director

Wow, a few ranked the new one ahead of Die Hard 2. This seriously makes me more optimistic about seeing it (although maybe on video) than the general consensus would indicate (I ranked Die Hard 2 last too, but I still liked it).

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
3. Live Free or Die Hard

Doesn't feel much like a Die Hard movie

For good reason since the initial script was for an entirely different movie ("Simon Says") which then had John McClane and other parts of the "Die Hard" mythos shoe-horned in.

Without further elaboration, I see no reason not to rank them 1,2,3,4,5 in that order; though I admit I haven't seen 2 in 10+ years.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:13 am
Second Unit Director

The first movie was great, one of my all-time faves. The second movie was mediocre enough that I haven't bothered with seeing any of the rest.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:38 am
Auteur

Johnny Larue wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
3. Live Free or Die Hard

Doesn't feel much like a Die Hard movie

For good reason since the initial script was for an entirely different movie ("Simon Says") which then had John McClane and other parts of the "Die Hard" mythos shoe-horned in.

Without further elaboration, I see no reason not to rank them 1,2,3,4,5 in that order; though I admit I haven't seen 2 in 10+ years.

Oddly enough, the fifth film was the only one in the series that was intended to be a Die Hard film from the very beginning.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:07 am
Producer

I don't get the hate for Die Hard 2. I love that movie and think it's nearly as great as the first one. The first two Die Hard's are great movies where as I thought 3 and 4 were good. And, of course, 5, very sadly, was just plain bad.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:14 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I don't get the hate for Die Hard 2. I love that movie and think it's nearly as great as the first one. The first two Die Hard's are great movies where as I thought 3 and 4 were good. And, of course, 5, very sadly, was just plain bad.

I thought 2 stars was usually an average rating and 1.5 or less was "bad"?

I don't get the hate for part 2 either, yes the plot is highly implausible, but the film is so much fun that i'm able to overlook that.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:16 am
Producer

Oh, I came pretty close to giving it a 1.5 stars. But I stuck with 2, but yes I think it's pretty bad.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 am
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:

Yes. And that series never really jumped the shark, not in the way the Die Hard films have.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:01 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

I don't get the hate for part 2 either, yes the plot is highly implausible, but the film is so much fun that i'm able to overlook that.

Speaking for myself, I don't hate the second movie. I called it mediocre, not bad.

As far as sequels go, the Die Hard franchises aren't as bad as some. In some franchises, the sequel would have revealed that Hans Gruber somehow survived the fall at the end of the first movie and was back. Or all 4 of the sequels would feature a previously unmentioned brother of his seeking revenge.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:14 pm
Cinematographer

dps wrote:
As far as sequels go, the Die Hard franchises aren't as bad as some. In some franchises, the sequel would have revealed that Hans Gruber somehow survived the fall at the end of the first movie and was back. Or all 4 of the sequels would feature a previously unmentioned brother of his seeking revenge.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Die Hard: With a Vengeance has always been my favorite. The elements that everyone seems to think made the Die Hard unique from the rest of the series didn't seem all that far gone in With a Vengeance. I didn't find it "super-heroish". It's also one of the few films that I really enjoy Samuel L. Jackson in. (The others being Pulp Fiction, A time to Kill, Star Wars, and most recently Django Unchained) For the most part I find him pretty irritating.

So my list:

1. With a Vengeance
2. Die Hard
3. Die Harder
4. Live Free or Die Hard

Oh BTW JKunz, I haven't seen Die Harder for probably 4 years, can you tell me what giant plot hole you're referring to?
JamesKunz wrote:

4. Die Hard 2

Has the worst plot hole of any movie ever. The entire movie, in fact, is a plot hole. And has a million other stupid, annoying parts

I'm interested to know.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 am
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Oh BTW JKunz, I haven't seen Die Harder for probably 4 years, can you tell me what giant plot hole you're referring to?

JamesKunz wrote:

4. Die Hard 2

Has the worst plot hole of any movie ever. The entire movie, in fact, is a plot hole. And has a million other stupid, annoying parts

I'm interested to know.

Surely. Jeff alluded to it a bit but I'll elaborate. The movie's plot is that a bunch of terrorists take over Washington Dulles airport and effectively hold all the planes circling above the airport hostage. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The planes above all have hours of fuel, since they're capable of circling the whole movie to add suspense, which means they could land at any number (literally dozens) of airports in the nearby area. Sorry, terrorists.

Oh and not to mention the fact that all of these other airports, not to mention the communication centers that planes actually communicate with, would be talking to these planes. The movie implies the planes talk only to Dulles airport, which makes no sense either

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 am
Critic

Also, while we're at it, what's a military prisoner doing landing at a civilian airport?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 am
Second Unit Director

I guess you have to suspend your disbolief a little harder to Die Harder.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm
Well my biggest problems with "Die Hard 2" are basically two:

1) it all looks totally fake, like a movie set - because it is a movie set, complete with condensed spaces, fake look and laws of physics, like weight, wind forces and speed, ignored.

2) The first movie (no matter how cliche ridden) went to great lengths to generate a feel of "reality" with lots of thriller elements and not just action movie elements. The second installment IMHO is just a redundant "more of the same" (Christmas setting again, McClane's wife in peril, Cops getting in the way, just one guy being on McClane's side, again: crawling through oversized "Hollywood" air conducts big enough so a person can crawl through it....., constant referring to the first part) - But this time it is all fireworks and simply just a theme park ride.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:44 pm