Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:24 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far) 
Author Message
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 812
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
So, I assume that by decade you mean 2003-2012, right?

Off the top of my head, I would say Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Syriana, Pan's Labyrinth, A History of Violence, Zodiac, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood. Those are some of the first that come to mind.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 665
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Haven't seen enough to make a good list. The most memorable for me so far:

The Tree of Life
The Grey
The Avengers
How to Train Your Dragon
Drive
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises


Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 812
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Seriously now, I don't think there's been a single memorable film so far. At least not like the ones I mentioned from the last decade. Lots of good/great films, but nothing that has stuck with me as an absolute best.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 517
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
patrick wrote:
At least Shade can stay on topic, contribute to said topic and back up his thoughts. When was the last time you ever did any of those things here Vexer?

How exactly is him and you getting on my case contributing to the topic? :? What did I ever do to you :?


Cause I'm tired of your fucking laziness. Everytime I see you post in these topics I get a little excited to see what insights you might provide but NOOOO, it always is "Such and such movie sucks!" ALWAYS! Never once showing any insights or opinions or contributions, you just come and say some movie sucks/overrated.

Well I'm sick of this! I'm sick of defending you if you're just going to be this fucking lazy. If all you're going to do is just come, make a tangent post about some movie some guy mentioned in passing....you can fucking leave.

This is unprofessional, Patrick. You're a mod; you literally should be above throwing insults at anyone, regardless of whether or not they deserve it. Don't say you're not insulting Vex, either. Calling him lazy, true or not, is insulting. Everyone brings something different to the table here and it doesn't always have to be in the form of a twelve page paper explaining why you did or didn't like something. Whether or not you like what he does is completely irrelevant.

In other words: all I heard was wahhhhhh.

Also, Vexer... bring it down. Your taste runs against what typical film criticism says is good for reasons that aren't particularly compelling, so you're going to get called out on shit. You need to be careful about being hypocritical because people like Shade are going to call you out on it, rightfully I might add. If you want your opinion to have any validity, you need to think about what you say and how you say it. Try not to get so defensive about everything, you know?

In other words: all I heard was wahhhhhh.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 517
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Also,

10. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
9. Attack the Block
8. Enter the Void
7. A Separation
6. Shame
5. Meek's Cutoff
4. Amour
3. Certified Copy
2. Exit Through the Gift Shop
1. Moonrise Kingdom

None of these films got an A from me, and Moonrise Kingdom/Exit Through the Gift Shop are the only ones that got close. I think A Separation is the only film I have in common with anyone. That doesn't mean anything, though, except that I have a wonky taste in film.

I should take another look at Shame, since the entire forum seems to hate it.

Thief, I think Sean meant 2010-now.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 405
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Pedro wrote:
This is unprofessional, Patrick. You're a mod


Was.


Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 584
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Vexer wrote:
Inception one of the best movies of the decade? seriously? :shock: OK I can understand people liking it, but there is no way in hell it's THAT good of a film, not even close. Same with The Artist, once you get past the gimmick, there's absolutely nothing special about it.


And that's why it's my opinion. Keep in mind that there are still about six-and-a-half years left to go in this decade.


Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Inception one of the best movies of the decade? seriously? :shock: OK I can understand people liking it, but there is no way in hell it's THAT good of a film, not even close. Same with The Artist, once you get past the gimmick, there's absolutely nothing special about it.


And that's why it's my opinion. Keep in mind that there are still about six-and-a-half years left to go in this decade.

I'll admit I was a little confused, when you said "best of the decade" I thought you meant 2000-2010. My mistake, anyways I hope someone takes the basic concept of Incpetion and makes a much better film out of it then Nolan did.


Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:55 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 812
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Pedro wrote:
Thief, I think Sean meant 2010-now.


Yeah, I know. I was just joking since the decade is still young. That's why I then posted.

Thief12 wrote:
Seriously now, I don't think there's been a single memorable film so far. At least not like the ones I mentioned from the last decade. Lots of good/great films, but nothing that has stuck with me as an absolute best.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2016
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Quote:
9. Attack the Block


Nice


Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 735
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
patrick wrote:
Pedro wrote:
This is unprofessional, Patrick. You're a mod


Was.


Whoa, whoa, whoa. What the hell happened? Please tell me this has more to do with something other than getting fed up with Vexer.


Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Skyfall

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 am
Posts: 57
Location: England.
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
1. the tree of life
2. animal kingdom
3. we need to talk about kevin
4. dogtooth
5. i saw the devil
6. snowtown
7. blue valentine
8. take shelter
9. incendies
10. certified copy

the rest of mine are on here; http://letterboxd.com/otherben/list/bes ... ade-2010s/

now sure if any of you use this site but it's a GREAT way to keep track of what you watch and log it by date as well so you create a diary of sorts. it just became open to the public without an invite too, so i recommend you sign up. would be nice to add some of you. :)


Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Inception one of the best movies of the decade? seriously? :shock: OK I can understand people liking it, but there is no way in hell it's THAT good of a film, not even close. Same with The Artist, once you get past the gimmick, there's absolutely nothing special about it.


And that's why it's my opinion. Keep in mind that there are still about six-and-a-half years left to go in this decade.

I'll admit I was a little confused, when you said "best of the decade" I thought you meant 2000-2010. My mistake, anyways I hope someone takes the basic concept of Incpetion and makes a much better film out of it then Nolan did.


The Cell? It's kind of similar in some ways and it's a better movie IMO.


Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:46 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Haven't seen The Cell yet, i'll be sure to check it out.


Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 371
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
I'm going to wait until I've seen Holy Motors before I post my list... I have a feeling that it could well get a place... And I've been struggling to come up with many movies I've particularly loved since 2010. Pretty much all of the one's I can think of are from 2012, and I'm not sure whether it's because it's been a particularly strong year, or that they're still fresh in my mind...


Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:37 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 230
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
calvero wrote:
I know you hate being stereotyped by your age


Uhm, OK, I'll bite--how old is he? Apparantly, we're all supposed to already know, but I don't.


Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Okay, I suck at ratings, so I am going to use the tier strategy which seems to fit the bill for people who can club everything together but not rate them in any specific order. (Disclaimer: I expect this to change once I see the remainder of my 2012 films - Zero Dark Thirty, The Master, Django Unchained (these three, I have a feeling will make the list), Perks of Being a Wallflower, Silver Linings Playbook, to name a few.)

UPPER TIER

David Fincher's The Social Network - Because I am a geek and someone who wants to create something of his own one day, and no film captures that obsession and single-mindedness better than this one. Also, the attention to detail is exquisite and something only geeks will be able to appreciate. Plus, it's a damn fine film.
Christopher Nolan's Inception - Because the first time the film ended, I was in awe of it all. It felt like someone had entered my mind and played around with it, similar to what happens with Cillian Murphy's character in the film. It is also the only film I've seen for five continuous weekends in theaters, and I don't think I can say anything better about the film than that.
Asghar Farhadi's A Separation - Because it is one of the most enriching dramas I've seen. The director doesn't take sides with any of his characters. He just says, "These are my characters and this is who they are. Now judge them in any way you see fit." Also, best use of open-ended ending ever.
Ben Affleck's Argo - Because they just don't make thrillers like this anymore. Yes, Affleck may have surrendered reality to make the film more Hollywoodish, and, yes, there are a couple of leaps of logic required towards the end. But it doesn't matter because we care for these characters by that time; we're caught hook, line, and sinker in the film by the time Affleck starts relying on cliches. It may not enrich our lives like some other titles on this list, but it is one that entertains the most, and that is not a bad quality at all.
Michael Haneke's Amour - Because no other film captures the love, the self-sacrifice, and the loss of dignity of the twilight years better than this one. It is one of the truest films I've seen.

UPPER-MID TIER

Alexander Payne's The Descendants - Because nobody can fuse comedy and drama better than Payne does. He puts incredibly realistic characters in incredibly real situations and milks them for real, unforced humor. It is a rare quality I've seen in a director.
Sam Mendes' Skyfall - Because it gave James Bond back to us by taking the series in a full circle. It is the first film where Craig fully owns the role and cements his place as the best Bond since Connery. All those odes and homages feel perfectly placed in what is otherwise a superior action film.
Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom - Because with the exception of the film's final act which is overly quirky, no film has quite captured my imagination like this one has. It is the first Wes Anderson film I've seen, and it would've been rated even higher were it not for the last act. (I just couldn't get the lightning bits.)
Leos Carax's Holy Motors - Because I enjoyed the fuck out of it even when I couldn't make any sense of it at all. Each individual episode was filled with so much intrigue, suspense, drama, comedy, and pathos that how it all came together didn't really matter.

MID-TIER

Abbas Kiarostami's Certified Copy - Because two people's conversations haven't captured my attention like this since Before Sunrise. And it is another example of a film where the open-endedness isn't detrimental. It leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions to take back and introspect on.
J.C. Chandor's Margin Call - Becasue it is easily one of the best written films of this decade and addresses a major topic of the 21st century. It also does it with a lot of panache and generates superior drama out of people talking about trades and stocks. Brilliant!
Joss Whedon's The Avengers - Because after this film one superhero isn't going to cut it anymore. It is the perfect model of pop-corn entertainment. The emotional, soaring peaks are perfectly placed, the actors perfectly cast, the characters perfectly built up over a series of films, their internal conflicts perfectly captured, and the odes to comic books perfectly inserted.
Steven Spielberg's Lincoln - Because I simply had to have a Spielberg film on the list and this one is much superior to War Horse. Plus, Daniel "Motherfucking" Day-Lewis, 'nuff said!

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2016
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Quote:
Pretty much all of the one's I can think of are from 2012, and I'm not sure whether it's because it's been a particularly strong year, or that they're still fresh in my mind...


Yeah, I know the feeling. For me it's because the best movies tend to feel revolutionary at first, thus each great one renders the previous great one somewhat obsolete. The truth, though, is actually something Ebert said: a great movie feels new no matter how many times you watch it. So the great things these movies have to offer are completely insular. It's like the lost ark; only great when activated, otherwise it's just another crate in the warehouse. For instance, I forgot all about Tintin for 7 or 8 months until I just rewatched it today. Still great, still fresh. Another one of my favorites of the new decade.

Quote:
Uhm, OK, I'll bite--how old is he? Apparantly, we're all supposed to already know, but I don't.


22


Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:44 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1445
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
You, me, and Vexer are the same age? :o Up until last week my mental image has you being much older and Vexer being much younger.

As for the thread, a few weeks ago I watched Cloud Atlas again, and if that's possible I love it even more this time. So immediately off the top of my head I'd choose that (though I'm sure there's more).


Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr