Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:48 pm

The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far) 
Cinematographer

Post The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
I'm just interested in hearing everyone's top ten if they have one. Here is mine:

1. David Fincher's The Social Network
2. Kathryn Bigelow's Zero Dark Thirty
3. Asghar Farhadi's A Separation
4. Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive
5. Christopher Nolan's Inception
6. Ben Affleck's Argo
7. Lee Unkrich's Toy Story 3
8. Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master
9. Michael Haneke's Amour
10. Michel Hazanavicius' The Artist

I almost want to include Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 somewhere on my list, but I'm just not sure. That being said, I believe that The Social Network is one of the finest films ever made. In my opinion, it is not just the best film of the decade, but also the best film of the century thus far.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 pm
Director

Post Re: The Best Movies of the Decade (So Far)
Quote:
I believe that The Social Network is one of the finest films ever made. In my opinion, it is not just the best film of the decade, but also the best film of the century thus far.

Whereas I think it stinks. But hey, what good is a forum without variety of perspective? Holy Motors is up there for me, which has since become my #1 film of 2012. Probably the best of the decade so far, I would say.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 pm
Cinematographer

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate TSN, and what star rating would you give it? Just wondering.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm
Auteur

Inception one of the best movies of the decade? seriously? :shock: OK I can understand people liking it, but there is no way in hell it's THAT good of a film, not even close. Same with The Artist, once you get past the gimmick, there's absolutely nothing special about it.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm
Director

Quote:
Whereas I think it stinks.

one day something's the 'best of the year, without a doubt' the next day it stinks. dark knight best of the decade one day, worst movie ever the next. and godard, etc. wow. I know you hate being stereotyped by your age, but how do you think this constant flip-flopping looks? makes all your opinions seem like kind of a joke. maybe that's your goal.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2757&hilit=social+network&start=60

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 pm
Director

Inception is one of the better products to come out of a major studio this decade. But personally, my favorite films of the decade so far are The Social Network, Drive and Cloud Atlas.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
one day something's the 'best of the year, without a doubt' the next day it stinks. dark knight best of the decade one day, worst movie ever the next. and godard, etc. wow. I know you hate being stereotyped by your age, but how do you think this constant flip-flopping looks? makes all your opinions seem like kind of a joke. maybe that's your goal.

To the bold: honestly, it doesn't always occur to me that that might be on anybody's mind. I remember my reasons for liking Network at the time very clearly. I understand my reasons for not liking it now with equal clarity. I'm not really sure what the issue is here. I get the sense that your comments are rhetorical because you know I don't have an answer that'll satisfy you. What can I say?

I dont' think Social Network is god-awful. I just don't see anything great about it anymore. I no longer see much drama in the riffing of one friendship. Dramatically, the film falls a little flat for me. Nothing is really at stake; Zuckerberg loses the lawsuit, but he's still a billionaire. Eduardo got his feelings hurt, but he's still worth God knows how many millions. Some of the dialogue becomes a bit of a stretch for me. For instance it's a little strange that Timberlake and the girl speak through Aaron Sorkin quips after sleeping together.

To be really frank, I think this movie plays to a crowd which I don't belong to anymore. I'm only a few years older now than the characters depicted in the movie, but I already dont' find their emotional worries to be very compelling. Except the money part; none of us would mind making a lot of money. But the socially self-conscious aspects just seem silly to me now. Their emphasis prevents the film from having a visceral impact; to me, at least. Also prevents it from being universal, since, as I said, I think it plays to a certain crowd.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Inception one of the best movies of the decade? seriously? :shock: OK I can understand people liking it, but there is no way in hell it's THAT good of a film, not even close. Same with The Artist, once you get past the gimmick, there's absolutely nothing special about it.

Seriously, Vex? I mean, are you serious? Because three days ago you said:

Vexer wrote:
I just hate it when people say that you can't possibly give a certain film a low/high rating

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6277&start=40

...and now you're doing the exact same thing you claim to hate! Many here have never given you crap for your taste, but you consistently and hypocritically stop by threads to do nothing but shit on people's taste and not to act. It's classless bullshit. Sheesh.

Regardless, A Separation and The Master are my favorite films of the decade thus far.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Seriously, Vex? I mean, are you serious? Because three days ago you said:

Vexer wrote:
I just hate it when people say that you can't possibly give a certain film a low/high rating

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/vie ... 7&start=40

...and now you're doing the exact same thing you claim to hate! Many here have never given you crap for your taste, but you consistently and hypocritically stop by threads to do nothing but shit on people's taste and not to act. It's classless bullshit. Sheesh.

Regardless, A Separation and The Master are my favorite films of the decade thus far.
Damn, you really have a hardon for me don't you? :lol: Seems like all you ever do on here is try to pick fights with me. Anyways i'm not doing what you said. I can understand people liking Inception, i'm just saying best of the decade is going a bit overboard, i'm not saying it isn't possible to give it a certain rating, I just don't agree is all. Also, you've shit on my tastes and others plenty of times, so you've really got no room to talk :roll:

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 pm
Second Unit Director

At least Shade can stay on topic, contribute to said topic and back up his thoughts. When was the last time you ever did any of those things here Vexer?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 am
Auteur

patrick wrote:
At least Shade can stay on topic, contribute to said topic and back up his thoughts. When was the last time you ever did any of those things here Vexer?

How exactly is him and you getting on my case contributing to the topic? :? What did I ever do to you :?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
patrick wrote:

How exactly is him and you getting on my case contributing to the topic? :? What did I ever do to you :?

Cause I'm tired of your fucking laziness. Everytime I see you post in these topics I get a little excited to see what insights you might provide but NOOOO, it always is "Such and such movie sucks!" ALWAYS! Never once showing any insights or opinions or contributions, you just come and say some movie sucks/overrated.

Well I'm sick of this! I'm sick of defending you if you're just going to be this fucking lazy. If all you're going to do is just come, make a tangent post about some movie some guy mentioned in passing....you can fucking leave.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 am
Auteur

patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
patrick wrote:

Cause I'm tired of your fucking laziness. Everytime I see you post in these topics I get a little excited to see what insights you might provide but NOOOO, it always is "Such and such movie sucks!" ALWAYS! Never once showing any insights or opinions or contributions, you just come and say some movie sucks/overrated.

Well I'm sick of this! I'm sick of defending you if you're just going to be this fucking lazy. If all you're going to do is just come, make a tangent post about some movie some guy mentioned in passing....you can fucking leave.

I'm not leaving because I haven't broken any rules.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer!! Top films of the decade!! List them! Quickly!!!

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 am
Auteur

There's so many films from this decade that I love that it's hard to pick just 10, Though Somewhere would be near the top if I were to make such a list.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am
Director

I've seen several of my favorite movies for the first time during this decade, but most of those were just older movies on dvd/bluray. Holy Motors is the only film I can think of in this decade which seems completely new and original to me. All I can think of comparing it to is Eyes Wide Shut, and even that's a stretch.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:44 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Also, you've shit on my tastes and others plenty of times, so you've really got no room to talk

Show me those, dude. Seriously. I'll point out when I disagree, but as has been said, I'll say why. That's the difference. If you had said the exact same thing and then went into any reasons why you felt that way about The Social Network, I would have no issue with it. But to stop by, say that there's "no way in hell" someone's opinion can be right and then skip out without adding anything to the conversation is so lame, dude. It makes you appear like the biggest troll around.

If you've been paying attention, you'll see that I've defended you and your right to hold your opinions many times.

Vexer wrote:
How exactly is him and you getting on my case contributing to the topic? What did I ever do to you?

I'll admit that I was off-topic. You got it, point taken, I'm nodding and tipping my hat. But I only did so (before offering my opinion as I originally intended to, mind you) because you did shit on someone's opinion and offered nothing else. And as has been said, that too often defines what you do. And that's trolling, even if that's not what you intended. And that's the only thing I've ever called you out on. I would love for you to be a contributer, but that's your choice, not mine. I'm not picking fights with you, I'm asking you to actually offer something to threads beyond shitting on what other people think. Try saying the why of what you think a bit more, or at least not stopping by ONLY to say why someone is wrong.

Alas.

I didn't like Holy Motors as much as some, but I agree that it's about as true an original as we're going to get these days. It's the type of film that I don't love, but love to hear people who do love it talk about it. I feel the same way about The Shining, Godfather 1, most of Cronenberg, and Children of Men.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:20 am
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Also, you've shit on my tastes and others plenty of times, so you've really got no room to talk

Show me those, dude. Seriously. I'll point out when I disagree, but as has been said, I'll say why. That's the difference. If you had said the exact same thing and then went into any reasons why you felt that way about The Social Network, I would have no issue with it. But to stop by, say that there's "no way in hell" someone's opinion can be right and then skip out without adding anything to the conversation is so lame, dude. It makes you appear like the biggest troll around.

If you've been paying attention, you'll see that I've defended you and your right to hold your opinions many times.

Vexer wrote:
How exactly is him and you getting on my case contributing to the topic? What did I ever do to you?

I'll admit that I was off-topic. You got it, point taken, I'm nodding and tipping my hat. But I only did so (before offering my opinion as I originally intended to, mind you) because you did shit on someone's opinion and offered nothing else. And as has been said, that too often defines what you do. And that's trolling, even if that's not what you intended. And that's the only thing I've ever called you out on. I would love for you to be a contributer, but that's your choice, not mine. I'm not picking fights with you, I'm asking you to actually offer something to threads beyond shitting on what other people think. Try saying the why of what you think a bit more, or at least not stopping by ONLY to say why someone is wrong.

Alas.

I didn't like Holy Motors as much as some, but I agree that it's about as true an original as we're going to get these days. It's the type of film that I don't love, but love to hear people who do love it talk about it. I feel the same way about The Shining, Godfather 1, most of Cronenberg, and Children of Men.
I was not as you said "shitting" on his opinion, I was merely disagreeing with it, granted i'll admit I could've said in a more clear way, because of my Aspberger's syndrome, sometimes I don't always think clearly before I post. Also I could've gone into detail about why I felt Inception is not "best of the decade" but I just didn't feel like going into detail at that very moment(namely because i've done so in the past, and since I figured people already knew why I was less then enthusiatic about the film, I didn't think there was any need for me to go into detail). Hardly what i'd calling "trolling", though you getting on my case certainly makes you look like one. Tell you what, i'll try to be more clear if you stop getting on my case all the time, OK?

For the sake of keeping things on topic, here's why I feel Inception is not "best of the decade" material. For starters, it does surprisingly little with such an intriguing premise, dreams should be imaginative and exciting, but the dreams seen in the film are severely lacking in creativity, they feel more like watching someone else play a video game then anything else, especially the snow fortress sequence, which felt very remniscent of Modern Warfare 2. That wouldn't be a bad thing if those sequences were actually exciting, but for the most part they're not, while the zero-G sequence is somewhat effective, the snow fortress sequence is one of the most incomprehensible action scenes i've ever seen in a film, I could barely make sense of what was going on half the time. Also there is no real sense of danger or suspense in the film(I.E., since it's a dream, the protagonists are in no danger of dying if they get shot or anything like that). Also, the characters are not developed well enough to really be invested much in them, Ellen Page's character serves absolutely no purpose other then to be the exposition device to spell out the rules of dreams to the audience. All we really know about Leo's character is that he misses his wife and not much else, his one-dimensional character makes the ending rather ineffective at it's intended emotional impact. My biggest issue with the film is the plot holes and how it contradicts it's own logic, the most glaring example being that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Arthur should have awaken from the second dream when the van was starting to free-fall. It is shown that in order to wake up from a dream (with the compound ) your body in the dream above must be experiencing free-fall while you are asleep. No one wakes up because they are into a deeper layer of the dream and thus need synchronized kicks in order to wake up. Arthur does not need that however. He is not in the third level. Based on those rules, it is impossible for Arthur to stay asleep in the second layer.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:35 am
Producer

So this a top 10 from 2010-2013?

Alrighty then.

Honorable mentions: Never Let Me Go, Fair Game, Looper, Skyfall and Country Strong.

Top 10:

10. We Bought a Zoo
9. The Ghost Writer
8. Black Swan
7. The Grey
6. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
5. Source Code
4. Hugo
3. War Horse
2. Life of Pi
1. The Dark Knight Rises

Last edited by ilovemovies on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:55 am
Director

Quote:
For the sake of keeping things on topic, here's why I feel Inception is not "best of the decade" material. For starters, it does surprisingly little with such an intriguing premise, dreams should be imaginative and exciting, but the dreams seen in the film are severely lacking in creativity, they feel more like watching someone else play a video game then anything else, especially the snow fortress sequence, which felt very remniscent of Modern Warfare 2. That wouldn't be a bad thing if those sequences were actually exciting, but for the most part they're not, while the zero-G sequence is somewhat effective, the snow fortress sequence is one of the most incomprehensible action scenes i've ever seen in a film, I could barely make sense of what was going on half the time. Also there is no real sense of danger or suspense in the film(I.E., since it's a dream, the protagonists are in no danger of dying if they get shot or anything like that). Also, the characters are not developed well enough to really be invested much in them, Ellen Page's character serves absolutely no purpose other then to be the exposition device to spell out the rules of dreams to the audience. All we really know about Leo's character is that he misses his wife and not much else, his one-dimensional character makes the ending rather ineffective at it's intended emotional impact. My biggest issue with the film is the plot holes and how it contradicts it's own logic, the most glaring example being that

Some of Nolan's filmmaking deficiencies may be forgiveable, but he also fails to provide any real motivation for these characters. Aren't there any easier ways for Leo to get back to his kids? He clearly doesn't enjoy dream heisting very much, and he looks miserable the entire time. Action heroes are supposed to enjoy themselves a little bit. Maybe Tom Hardy should've been the lead. I think it's a good concept for a movie, maybe Nolan will do better this year just as producer. Directorially, he has no sense of fun or adventure; he's very clinical about his own ideas. He doesn't really seem very excited about his own ideas. But he does get points for probably being the first director to tackle dreams without including sexual fantasies. What would Kubrick say...

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:49 am