Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ONLINE DATING. Any positive advice or experiences please. 
Cinematographer

Post Re: ONLINE DATING. Any positive advice or experiences please.
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
^ Chill. It's called raging in college and enjoying my 20s ^. Besides, it's nothing this bro wouldn't do:

You realize "that bro" is making fun of people like you, right? He's in his 40s, lives with his mother, and bangs chicks at weddings and funerals. He's pathetic and sad in reality, but made funny by Ferrell because he's so clueless of how lame he really is.

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Why is everybody so pissed about my post? None of you have ever run through bar sluts before?

I'm not pissed, I just think it's a pretty glaring example of douchebaggery. Like Awkward Beard Man, I thought it was satire at first. I mean, you're essentially coming off as the embodiment of the frat boy stereotype. If that's what you want to be, cool, I guess. I just can't imagine someone striving for that. I would openly mock someone with that personality in real life.

I went to college, went to college bars while in college, and picked up my fair share of ladies while there. That doesn't mean I call them sluts, or slam-pieces, or brag about being able to pick up the hottest chick there...on the internet no less!

But go right ahead and run through those bar sluts. Nail those slam-pieces. You get laid and high-five your bros afterwards! Good job! No one else ever gets laid. Just you and your bros!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
^ Chill. It's called raging in college and enjoying my 20s ^. Besides, it's nothing this bro wouldn't do:

You realize "that bro" is making fun of people like you, right? He's in his 40s, lives with his mother, and bangs chicks at weddings and funerals. He's pathetic and sad in reality, but made funny by Ferrell because he's so clueless of how lame he really is.

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Why is everybody so pissed about my post? None of you have ever run through bar sluts before?

I'm not pissed, I just think it's a pretty glaring example of douchebaggery. Like Awkward Beard Man, I thought it was satire at first. I mean, you're essentially coming off as the embodiment of the frat boy stereotype. If that's what you want to be, cool, I guess. I just can't imagine someone striving for that. I would openly mock someone with that personality in real life.

I went to college, went to college bars while in college, and picked up my fair share of ladies while there. That doesn't mean I call them sluts, or slam-pieces, or brag about being able to pick up the hottest chick there...on the internet no less!

But go right ahead and run through those bar sluts. Nail those slam-pieces. You get laid and high-five your bros afterwards! Good job! No one else ever gets laid. Just you and your bros!

I didn't post to brag. I posted about three new social network dating apps that I have been dicking around with (since this thread is about online dating) and this board jumps down my throat because I used the terms slam piece and slut.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:12 pm
Producer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I don't wear backwards baseball caps.

Whether you actually do or not isn't the point. It's the way you're presenting yourself. Your words are wearing the backwardest baseball cap of all.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:50 pm
Second Unit Director

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 pm
Producer

Back in the days of my early 20s, there was a young girl in our circle (17) who 4 of the lads at last count treated like a "slut".

I bumped into her 2 years ago at a birthday party and she informed me of her subsequent issues with alcohol and anorexia. I don't think it too far-fetched to join the dots

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I didn't post to brag. I posted about three new social network dating apps that I have been dicking around with (since this thread is about online dating) and this board jumps down my throat because I used the terms slam piece and slut.

Your stupidity truly amazes me, it's funny how you give me crap for my taste in film, yet you can't handle it when someone calls you on your misogynist bullshit.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:21 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
this board jumps down my throat because I used the terms slam piece and slut.

As well it should.

I know there are tons of guys in college with your attitude towards women, but it’s genuinely gross and depressing to read. Maybe you’ll understand why in a few years. I hope you will, at least.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:36 pm

whilst the way you said what you said wasn't the nicest, i think you're just putting on a bit of a 'laddish' voice just to have a laugh. i don't think that kind of attitude goes down well on this board.

i laughed though, and i thought you sounded like a guy i'd like to go out with. and i also think you're right, you probably would get better looking girls than a lot of these guys, purely because of your confidence. i think a lot of board memebers want to be a white knight riding to the rescure. it's possible for these girls to have the same attitude and go out purely looking for a dick to ride. they're not all little girls with daddy issues who develop deep seated pyschological issues because some guy fucked them. to me it's just as degrading to assume women only want love and to never experiment sexually.

but it ain't no thang. i'm not defending you. i did cringe a little, but then i shook my head and laughed at your boyish banter, because we've all been there. (well, clearly not).

i'd suggest not trying to defend what you said. just say it's not meant entirely seriously.

p.s. i'm 27 and have had two long term relationships and currently live with my girlfriend of 3 years before you try to assume i'm in the same boat as this little rapscallion. just think this board can be a little too serious at times. i highly doubt he goes out and CALLS these girls slam pieces and wrecks their life. he's just being a lovable rogue because he's proud of his sexual conquests. let him enjoy his youth!

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

OtherBen wrote:
whilst the way you said what you said wasn't the nicest, i think you're just putting on a bit of a 'laddish' voice just to have a laugh. i don't think that kind of attitude goes down well on this board.

i laughed though, and i thought you sounded like a guy i'd like to go out with. and i also think you're right, you probably would get better looking girls than a lot of these guys, purely because of your confidence. i think a lot of board memebers want to be a white knight riding to the rescure. it's possible for these girls to have the same attitude and go out purely looking for a dick to ride. they're not all little girls with daddy issues who develop deep seated pyschological issues because some guy fucked them. to me it's just as degrading to assume women only want love and to never experiment sexually.

but it ain't no thang. i'm not defending you. i did cringe a little, but then i shook my head and laughed at your boyish banter, because we've all been there. (well, clearly not).

i'd suggest not trying to defend what you said. just say it's not meant entirely seriously.

p.s. i'm 27 and have had two long term relationships and currently live with my girlfriend of 3 years before you try to assume i'm in the same boat as this little rapscallion. just think this board can be a little too serious at times. i highly doubt he goes out and CALLS these girls slam pieces and wrecks their life. he's just being a lovable rogue because he's proud of his sexual conquests. let him enjoy his youth!

We're not "assuming" anything about those women he was with, but I know blatant misogyny when I see it. There's nothing wrong with just wanting to have sex, but the way he generalized all women as being sluts was just disgusting and not "loveable" in the least.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Oh fuck; white knight accusations? For real?

I think you're kind of missing the point here Ben. Casual sex is a-okay by me. And having confidence is always great. But hell, maybe he should be calling them sluts to their faces. At least he'd be honest about how he actually felt about them.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm

i have no interest in getting into some chat about it, suffice to say i didn't take it 100% seriously and don't think that's ultimately the way he feels. he was just trying to look 'cool' and chat some shit.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

That's just the thing--he knows what kind of company he keeps here, and it isn't the kind of company that gets impressed by juvenile fratire posturing. It would be disturbing if his comments were genuine. Even if they aren't, they're still an insult to our intelligence.

So let's all interpret this as a "Not cool, bro" and a punch on the shoulder, and we can all move on from there.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm
Second Unit Director

I think these jabronis think I'm a regular Patrick Bateman. I'm not. At this juncture, I just love to go out, get hammered, make bad decisions, wash and repeat. One night stands are fun, fellas. And through my escapades, I have met plenty of sluts. If there are a group of girls somewhere calling me a slut, ha...well I give zero fucks. I certainly don't treat them bad, but FYI, being a dick usually will work on the hottest girl at the bar because she is usually conceded and has issues her self; being a dick turns the tables and has her instantly intrigued why you aren't bending over backwards like most guys would do. Keep in mind, you can't be an asshole, you just have to be an "I don't care" type of dick.

It's all fun and games, however, once I meet "that girl", one that I actually want to talk to, get to know, call her, meet her family, be with...no more slam piece action for me.

And Vex, I can't take it? I've just been laughing at this whole debacle. And come on dude, your favorite month for movie releases is January. I think there is something wrong with that.

And finally, have any of you tried Tinder, Facebook bang, or grouper yet? Tinder definitely works.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I think these jabronis think I'm a regular Patrick Bateman. I'm not. At this juncture, I just love to go out, get hammered, make bad decisions, wash and repeat. One night stands are fun, fellas. And through my escapades, I have met plenty of sluts. If there are a group of girls somewhere calling me a slut, ha...well I give zero fucks. I certainly don't treat them bad, but FYI, being a dick usually will work on the hottest girl at the bar because she is usually conceded and has issues her self; being a dick turns the tables and has her instantly intrigued why you aren't bending over backwards like most guys would do. Keep in mind, you can't be an asshole, you just have to be an "I don't care" type of dick.

It's all fun and games, however, once I meet "that girl", one that I actually want to talk to, get to know, call her, meet her family, be with...no more slam piece action for me.

And Vex, I can't take it? I've just been laughing at this whole debacle. And come on dude, your favorite month for movie releases is January. I think there is something wrong with that.

And finally, have any of you tried Tinder, Facebook bang, or grouper yet? Tinder definitely works.

When did I ever say my favorite month was January? Did you pull that out of your ass or something? :? I'm just saying that with your actions, you're really in no position to be making fun of anybody, it just makes you sound even more asinine

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Okay, okay, everyone take a breather.

Beefroast, you clearly don't understand what it means to use the word "slut," and that's okay. Not everyone does. Within your own speech community, it seems that the term is perfectly acceptable. Presumably it's not the most derogatory term to call women. I don't know.

That doesn't mean that you can use it freely in any setting you damn well please. I know ReelViews isn't quite the monthly meeting of feminists anonymous, but it's a collection of folks who are perceptive about how language affects others. The purpose of the word "slut" is demeaning and misogynistic in most contexts, and certainly in the way you're using it whether you realize it or not. So... yeah, we're offended, especially when your attitude is: "Why is everybody so pissed about my post? None of you have ever run through bar sluts before?" It's not that you're being ho-hum about ramming bitches, it's that you're being ho-hum about being a douchecock.

...Did you call us jabronis? Really?

I mean... why can't you just say, "Hey, I didn't realize what I said was wrong and offensive. Sorry." At this point, I don't think anyone cares if you actually believe it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong and offensive. Take accountability for being an ass and keep on keeping on. Or don't.

In the spirit of good will: no, I haven't tried Tinder or the other sex-based social networks. If I do, I'll be sure to make a post in this topic about my experiences.

Everyone else: no more jumping down his throat.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:06 pm
Director

Is it just me or is this thread not unlike the scene in Clerks II where Randal uses the term "porch monkey" without realizing it's a racial slur.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Everyone else: no more jumping down his throat.

I'm not going to name-call and blast him that way. But it's not all "fun and games." Whether you acknowledge this or not, a lot of what you're doing is taking advantage of the psychological issues some girls have (in other words, to be the guy they'll eventually [and probably very quickly] regret being with). I'm not saying everyone (man or woman) who has a one-night stand is messed up, but to target the girls who "have issues themselves" is pretty depressing to me. I'm guessing you don't have a daughter at this point, but sisters? Girls in your life you care about? You cool with dudes treating them exactly like you do? Because if not, then you're out of line. If you're cool with that -- with guys chasing your daughter/sister/friend only as a slut/slam-piece, then carry on. If not, man up.

Calling people "jabronis" made me laugh though.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next