Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Film Club: Round Two? 
Second Unit Director

Post Film Club: Round Two?
The past Film Club discussion of Compliance was terrific. There was conversation, debating, and a little disagreement; I was beaten to a pulp for my views, and thats ok-- I'm hurt, I'm sad, I'm in the fetal position typing this out right now.. but I must move on.

Since this past turn out was so great, I saw we do it again! Like last time, we'll need to start getting some ideas for a film. So anybody in favor please reply, and post your thoughts for a film that would possibly be worthy of the second round of the Reelviews Film Club!!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Film Club: Round Two?
I agree last film club was quite fantastic, and don't worry JackBurns, I loved hearing your views.

My votes would be:
Holy Motors: Just got my copy in the mail, plan to watch in the next week or so.
Don't Look Now: Also just got a copy of this classic. Definitely a film worthy of discussion.
Wake In Fright: I've harped on about this film a lot. Just got a Netflix release, so maybe people might be interested.
Martha Marcy May Marlene: Mentioned this last time. One of my favorite films from the last few years.
The Master: I should probably watch this again, I don't know if I got all of it the first time around, might make for good discussion.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 am
Cinematographer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
My votes would be:
Holy Motors: Just got my copy in the mail, plan to watch in the next week or so.
Don't Look Now: Also just got a copy of this classic. Definitely a film worthy of discussion.
Wake In Fright: I've harped on about this film a lot. Just got a Netflix release, so maybe people might be interested.
Martha Marcy May Marlene: Mentioned this last time. One of my favorite films from the last few years.
The Master: I should probably watch this again, I don't know if I got all of it the first time around, might make for good discussion.

I think all of those would make for strong selections, although The Master was discussed here quite a bit when it was first released. I also just got a copy of Wake In Fright in the mail, and was planning on watching it tonight. Holy Motors doesn't get a home release in the U.S. until the 26th, but that's definitely another one that would provoke plenty of interesting responses.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Director

I haven't watched any of ABM's suggestions, but to me the two most interesting films out of the list are Wake in Fright and Holy Motors (with me inclining towards Holy Motors).

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 am
Cinematographer

[quote=Awkward Beard Man]
My votes would be:
The Master: I should probably watch this again, I don't know if I got all of it the first time around, might make for good discussion.[/quote]

All of those look interesting. I'm game for any of those.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
My votes would be:

I think all of those would make for strong selections, although The Master was discussed here quite a bit when it was first released. I also just got a copy of Wake In Fright in the mail, and was planning on watching it tonight. Holy Motors doesn't get a home release in the U.S. until the 26th, but that's definitely another one that would provoke plenty of interesting responses.

Here's the thread to the fairly in-depth discussion of The Master that took place when the movie was released. I'd say no to that movie because of that thread, despite the movie itself being all kinds of fantastic. That said, if it's decided this is the movie for the club, I'd be glad to rewatch it and participate.

I've also seen Don't Look Now and Martha Marcy May Marlene, and think both would be excellent choices. Roeg's film is absolutely brilliant. It's one of the best, most difficult, and wholly wonderful horror movies ever created. It's a very different sort of movie, but one that would generate a good deal of discussion. Blondie and I had a pretty nice discussion of that one here (please don't mind my pretentious link to my own thread...or do, I don't care), but it's one that demands rewatches and further discussion so I'd be 100% cool with this one for the club. Plus, I want to own it and this would give me a perfect excuse to buy it. As for MMMM, I've been craving some deeper discussion about that one for while and I think the movie deserves it. So, yes to that as well.

I plan on seeing Holy Motors as soon as possible, so, again, a yes to that. Wake In Fright was added to my Netflix queue yesterday, so...sure!

Great choices all around, Awkward Beard Man. Instead of throwing out others, I say we use one of his, as all are interesting.

I'm going to go ahead and say I vote for Don't Look Now.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 am
Second Unit Director

I would agree that The Master already has quite a good discussion page. All of the suggestions sound great. Wake In Fright honestly sounds the most appealing considering its recent release to the states. So I would probably cast my vote for that. But everyone please suggest things that would make for a good watch!

Side note: I think Holy Motors would be great to watch in the coming future, perhaps the third round, if the second is successful.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:25 pm
Second Unit Director

Glad you guys like my choices. You're right about The Master, I pretty much included it to pad out my suggestions.

I think Wake In Fright would definitely make for good discussion. There's a lot of interesting little touches to the film, and since I'm sure most people haven't seen it, it should be something new. So I'll put that down as my vote.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Wake in Fright for round two and Holy Motors for round three!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Awesome! I've also got some really good video interviews with Ted Kotcheff regarding the film that I'll post in the discussion thread. Do we want to organize a discussion date?

Also, it might be worth warning that a number of scenes depicting some pretty hard to watch animal cruelty are contained in the film. These were carefully shot and edited with footage of an official professional kangaroo hunt, but it is footage of animals being killed and isn't particularly easy to watch. In the 2009 Cannes Classic screening of the film there were 12 walkouts in these scenes. But I would argue that the inclusion of these scenes are 100% necessary to the film.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm
Critic

I'm down with anything under 110 minutes :)

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Aww, bad luck man. Wake In Fright is 114 minutes and Holy Motors is 115 minutes :P

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 pm
Critic

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Aww, bad luck man. Wake In Fright is 114 minutes and Holy Motors is 115 minutes :P

Shit. Guess I'll somehow have to drag myself through what will no doubt be agonizing 5 and 6 minute endings to each film. *Sighs* the things I do for the people on the forum....

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Shit. Guess I'll somehow have to drag myself through what will no doubt be agonizing 5 and 6 minute endings to each film. *Sighs* the things I do for the people on the forum....

We appreciate your commitment :D

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:02 pm
Cinematographer

I think Kunz should just turn whatever movie we pick off at the 110 minute mark and then come up with his own ending in the forum discussion thread. Then we can analyze him!

So, should I go ahead and move Wake In Fright to the top of my queue? As soon as I watch Perfect Sense I can obtain a copy.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Im with Pete :lol:

It looks like Wake In Fright is all but agreed upon, so I assume its very safe to say that the next film we will watch, unless there is a giant uprising for another film, will be Wake In Fright.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 pm
Critic

JackBurns wrote:
Im with Pete :lol:

It looks like Wake In Fright is all but agreed upon, so I assume its very safe to say that the next film we will watch, unless there is a giant uprising for another film, will be Wake In Fright.

Word of warning: Netflix says "Short Wait" for Wake in Fright...so it might take us a while to hear Jack's opinion on whether or not the movie has "elements of exploitation" or is truly exploitative. :D

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Word of warning: Netflix says "Short Wait" for Wake in Fright...so it might take us a while to hear Jack's opinion on whether or not the movie has "elements of exploitation" or is truly exploitative. :D

Sigh... 8-)

But actually I will more than likely rent it from Itunes, hook an HDMI from the computer to the TV and watch away. With the wait though, we should probably put the watch by date to the Wednesday following the Academy Awards (Feb 27th) How does that sound to everyone?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 pm
Cinematographer

Well, I'm afraid to say that I probably won't be able to participate. I've been trying to get ahold of Wake in Fright and haven't been able to. I don't have Netflix and none of the video stores near me have it.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

So were scheduled to have watched Wake In Fright by next Wednesday. Is this still good for everyone?

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:35 pm