Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Is J.J. Abrams a "safe" or inspired choice to direct S.W. 7? 
Gaffer

Post Re: Is J.J. Abrams a "safe" or inspired choice to direct S.W. 7?
JJoshay wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Alex wrote:
Regardless of Abrams's suitability for the Star Wars gig, I am kind of sad that the same guy is going to be responsible for both the Star Trek reboot and the Star Wars reboot. It just seems wrong.

It seems to indicate a not so healthy industry.

I can agree to this.

As do I

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:01 pm
Second Unit Director

My initial reaction to the idea of Abrams helming Star Wars was negative (something along the lines of, "Well, why not give him control of Doctor Who as well, so then he can ruin all 3 of the venerable SF franchises"), but I have to admit, my negative feelings toward him are based on the direction that he took Star Trek in, and while I don't like the "vision" of what Star Trek should be that we get from the reboot, I can't really say that it's poorly directed. Depending on the script, it seems likely that Episode VII will be a competantly made action flick, and that's more than we can say for the prequels.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm
Second Unit Director

dps wrote:
My initial reaction to the idea of Abrams helming Star Wars was negative (something along the lines of, "Well, why not give him control of Doctor Who as well, so then he can ruin all 3 of the venerable SF franchises"), but I have to admit, my negative feelings toward him are based on the direction that he took Star Trek in, and while I don't like the "vision" of what Star Trek should be that we get from the reboot, I can't really say that it's poorly directed. Depending on the script, it seems likely that Episode VII will be a competantly made action flick, and that's more than we can say for the prequels.

So, yeah, why not. It's not like John Ford is available.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm
Director

If I have it straight, three standalone spin-offs have been announced now, one of them to be focused entirely on Yoda. Plants need water, but if you dump three gallons into one pot all at once, you kill the plant. But don't try to tell that to the fans.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
If I have it straight, three standalone spin-offs have been announced now, one of them to be focused entirely on Yoda. Plants need water, but if you dump three gallons into one pot all at once, you kill the plant. But don't try to tell that to the fans.

Spin-offs confirmed, Yoda a rumor. Also rumor, a spin-off adaptation of Seven Samurai.

And please, please, for the love of god MGames, quit with the holier-than-though snobbish attitude towards 'fans' of things. It's not a flattering look. Chill out, embrace what you love, accept that which you don't. Bitterness and animosity are no ways to approach the medium you love. Focus on the positives dude. It'll make you feel better, and people won't dislike you as much. You're much more interesting when you're praising the latest Bond than when you're shitting all over everything else. You'll never convince people to hate what you do, but you'll likely convince people to give a chance to things you like. Hell, you convinced me to watch the Resident Evil movies, and I even mildly enjoyed some of them.

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm
Cinematographer

Fingers crossed for another Ewok Adventure. :roll:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Fingers crossed for another Ewok Adventure. :roll:

Battle For Endor sequel, anyone? Maybe Wilford Brimley can take time off from his diabeetus testing supplies gig.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 pm
Director

Boba Fett and young Han Solo spinoffs also being rumored now. I thought all this shit was going to go into that long-proposed live action TV series? By even letting these ideas out, I'd say Disney is already cheapening SW far more than Lucas ever did. :|

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 pm
Producer

Abrams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whedon!!!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Boba Fett and young Han Solo spinoffs also being rumored now. I thought all this shit was going to go into that long-proposed live action TV series? By even letting these ideas out, I'd say Disney is already cheapening SW far more than Lucas ever did. :|

Well it doesn't really matter how many films and spinoffs they make. The only thing that matters is if they're any good. The cynic in me says they'll just be lazy cash-ins, but really, you can make a good movie about anything. So I'm not going to judge a film simply by its basic premise, but I'm prepared for disappointment.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm
Producer

I'm just worried about oversaturation. New Star Wars, even Star Wars people thought would be bad, used to be a momentous thing. I don't want to see it become '80s-era James Bond where people just went to see it because it existed.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I'm just worried about oversaturation. New Star Wars, even Star Wars people thought would be bad, used to be a momentous thing. I don't want to see it become '80s-era James Bond where people just went to see it because it existed.

But shouldn't the quality be what's most important? I know it's not how the world works, but why should a movie be considered a momentous thing, even if it's terrible? I'd gladly take an over-saturated market of brilliant Star Wars films over a terrible one every 5-10 years. I know the situation I've described almost definitely won't happen, and an over-saturated market will likely result a law of diminishing returns with regards to quality (see the Pirates movies). But the biggest problem with '80s-era Bond wasn't so much the frequency of the films, but the quality in general. But again, I'm being idealistic with this. Most likely it will turn out to be a bad thing. Oh wells....

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:19 am
Director

Quote:
I don't want to see it become '80s-era James Bond where people just went to see it because it existed.

Disney has already accomplished that with Marvel, and we've probably only seen the tip of the iceberg in that regard.

Quote:
But shouldn't the quality be what's most important?

What Ken describes affects quality very directly. The Avengers was just one window of time, one of many, during which we see the Marvel characters, and it shows. Whedon directed the thing like a tv episode, because that's essentially what it is anyway. It's the most inconsequential and obligatory film I've ever seen, because its creators believe, or perhaps they want us to believe, that it's just a drop in an ocean. It's the only movie I've ever seen, though Avatar comes close, where the focus is lost entirely in both past and future. A culmination of the setup movies, a setup for "marvel phase 2." It's a movie where the present is entirely non-existent to the point where the entire film appears to take place in a narrative vacuum, and a spatial vacuum as well.

It may be foolish of me to dismiss the new Star Wars just because it has a fanbase. But I think the fact that exactly the same company has acquired it, and the fact that their first effort proved so monstrously successful offers plenty of reason to be skeptical that precisely the same problem will occur. What we'll get from Abrams, I predict, won't be a movie so much as a trailer for Disney's future Star Wars productions.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:43 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
But shouldn't the quality be what's most important?

What Ken describes affects quality very directly. The Avengers was just one window of time, one of many, during which we see the Marvel characters, and it shows. Whedon directed the thing like a tv episode, because that's essentially what it is anyway. It's the most inconsequential and obligatory film I've ever seen, because its creators believe, or perhaps they want us to believe, that it's just a drop in an ocean. It's the only movie I've ever seen, though Avatar comes close, where the focus is lost entirely in both past and future. A culmination of the setup movies, a setup for "marvel phase 2." It's a movie where the present is entirely non-existent to the point where the entire film appears to take place in a narrative vacuum, and a spatial vacuum as well.

Do you believe the film could have been made well? Given the parameters the film had to work with, do you think it could have been possible to create a great film out of it, or was it always doomed to fail? Disregarding that I actually quite liked The Avengers, I believe that any film is capable of breaking through the studio mediocrity into something special.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 pm
Director

Quote:
Do you believe the film could have been made well? Given the parameters the film had to work with, do you think it could have been possible to create a great film out of it, or was it always doomed to fail? Disregarding that I actually quite liked The Avengers, I believe that any film is capable of breaking through the studio mediocrity into something special.

Of course it's possible. Constraining themselves to a focused story would've been a good place to start. If Whedon wanted to write so much dialogue, why didn't he start by coming up with a plot? Instead, you have a film where most scenes have nothing to do with any other scenes in the movie. There's nothing to follow; only brief moments to connect to, which quickly vanish. What's the point in spending 250 mil just to showcase spectacle which you'll rarely be able to afford to do again anyway? There's nothing so impressive about it, it's only money. You don't need that much money to tell a story, so why bother.

The underlying problem is that there's no sense of creativity. The reason is that there's no constraint. Creativity requires constraint. No constraint, no creativity, no good filmmaking. Story is the best constraint. Whedon treats filmmaking like it's a piece of cake; way too easy. Who would pay to see a professional ice skater hang onto the rail the entire time? The best thing for Abrams to do with this movie would be to challenge himself; like, really make himself sweat creatively for this movie.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Of course it's possible. Constraining themselves to a focused story would've been a good place to start. If Whedon wanted to write so much dialogue, why didn't he start by coming up with a plot? Instead, you have a film where most scenes have nothing to do with any other scenes in the movie. There's nothing to follow; only brief moments to connect to, which quickly vanish. What's the point in spending 250 mil just to showcase spectacle which you'll rarely be able to afford to do again anyway? There's nothing so impressive about it, it's only money. You don't need that much money to tell a story, so why bother.

The underlying problem is that there's no sense of creativity. The reason is that there's no constraint. Creativity requires constraint. No constraint, no creativity, no good filmmaking. Story is the best constraint. Whedon treats filmmaking like it's a piece of cake; way too easy. Who would pay to see a professional ice skater hang onto the rail the entire time? The best thing for Abrams to do with this movie would be to challenge himself; like, really make himself sweat creatively for this movie.

I can't argue with much of that. I guess we can only hope that Star Wars turns out that well.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 pm