Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Top 100 
Author Message
Post Re: The Top 100
majoraphasia wrote:
It looks as if I've seen 41 of the films. Out of the 59 remaining I'd like to see around 41 and leave out, to name only three,

- It's a Wonderful Life (I couldn't be any less interested)
- My Darling Clementine (me and John Ford have had a shaky relationship)
- Intolerance (3 hours long, silent, and another Griffith film -- that can only mean this one will have to be saved for a long, long, long, long, long, longlonglong time)

I won't be making my way through the top 100 with any real priority but hope to some day finish most of this list. I'll be starting in Japan.


It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite film of all time. To modern eyes, it may seem schmaltzy in places, but it still packs an emotional punch, tackling themes such as duty, regret, pride and redemption. I urge you to see it.


Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 am
Post Re: The Top 100
Alex wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
It looks as if I've seen 41 of the films. Out of the 59 remaining I'd like to see around 41 and leave out, to name only three,

- It's a Wonderful Life (I couldn't be any less interested)
- My Darling Clementine (me and John Ford have had a shaky relationship)
- Intolerance (3 hours long, silent, and another Griffith film -- that can only mean this one will have to be saved for a long, long, long, long, long, longlonglong time)

I won't be making my way through the top 100 with any real priority but hope to some day finish most of this list. I'll be starting in Japan.


It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite film of all time. To modern eyes, it may seem schmaltzy in places, but it still packs an emotional punch, tackling themes such as duty, regret, pride and redemption. I urge you to see it.

I'm fairly certain he's seen It's a Wonderful Life since he posted that. He wrote about it in another topic.

But I'll let him speak for himself. :lol:


Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 am
Post Re: The Top 100
@Alex and IAWL

I have seen it since and, yes, it's great. I thought I'd have more to say when I hit "reply" but that's it.


Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Quakertown, PA
Post Re: The Top 100
I've seen 22 of the original 100.

My favorite of the ones I've seen is Dr Strangelove. Funny and somewhat thought-provoking. A perfect dark comedy. 10/10

My least favorite was Aguirre, Wrath of God. A straight-up character study of a SLOW descent into madness. I understand that it is a great character study but it was EXTREMELY slow and no payoff at the end. 3/10

_________________
"I loved him...but sometimes, people who really love each other...well they have the uncanny knack to make each other miserable." -Woman from Conversations with Other Women


Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: The Top 100
Animaniac wrote:
I've seen 22 of the original 100.

My favorite of the ones I've seen is Dr Strangelove. Funny and somewhat thought-provoking. A perfect dark comedy. 10/10

My least favorite was Aguirre, Wrath of God. A straight-up character study of a SLOW descent into madness. I understand that it is a great character study but it was EXTREMELY slow and no payoff at the end. 3/10


Really? I have to disagree there. Aguirre has a certain quality to it. Instead of slow, I find it hypnotic and loved every frame of that picture. I hear you on "slow" for certain movies though. Of course, I'm sure there are loads of people who love the movies I find slow.


Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Quakertown, PA
Post Re: The Top 100
ed_metal_head wrote:
Animaniac wrote:
I've seen 22 of the original 100.

My favorite of the ones I've seen is Dr Strangelove. Funny and somewhat thought-provoking. A perfect dark comedy. 10/10

My least favorite was Aguirre, Wrath of God. A straight-up character study of a SLOW descent into madness. I understand that it is a great character study but it was EXTREMELY slow and no payoff at the end. 3/10


Really? I have to disagree there. Aguirre has a certain quality to it. Instead of slow, I find it hypnotic and loved every frame of that picture. I hear you on "slow" for certain movies though. Of course, I'm sure there are loads of people who love the movies I find slow.


Maybe it's the way it ends too. I don't mind slow if there is a payoff but this just seems like a slow death. But given the situation they're in I shouldn't have been surprised.

_________________
"I loved him...but sometimes, people who really love each other...well they have the uncanny knack to make each other miserable." -Woman from Conversations with Other Women


Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1484
Post Re: The Top 100
I find Fitzcarraldo to be the better Kinski/Herzog pairing--it has an actual structure and lacks the droning nature shots.

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: The Top 100
It seems I have a lot of catching up to do when I look at this list. However, in my defence, I have to add that I became a film-buff only a couple of years back when I got out of college. I have since spent going through as much classics as I can whenever I find the time to do so. In my quest to discover the classics, I often use James' and the AFI lists as guides. But this seems a better representation from all corners of the globe, so it will get added to my must-see list as well, which will make it quite humongous to be honest.

The only films I've seen are: Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather, The Seven Samurai, Casablanca, Raging Bull, The Godfather Part II, Taxi Driver, Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, It's a Wonderful Life, Rear Window and Goodfellas.

That gives me quite a huge list to complete watching which has me very much excited to be honest, and I have a lot of time in which to do it. I just hope the world doesn't end in 2012.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Top 100
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
It seems I have a lot of catching up to do when I look at this list. However, in my defence, I have to add that I became a film-buff only a couple of years back when I got out of college. I have since spent going through as much classics as I can whenever I find the time to do so. In my quest to discover the classics, I often use James' and the AFI lists as guides. But this seems a better representation from all corners of the globe, so it will get added to my must-see list as well, which will make it quite humongous to be honest.

The only films I've seen are: Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather, The Seven Samurai, Casablanca, Raging Bull, The Godfather Part II, Taxi Driver, Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, It's a Wonderful Life, Rear Window and Goodfellas.

That gives me quite a huge list to complete watching which has me very much excited to be honest, and I have a lot of time in which to do it. I just hope the world doesn't end in 2012.


Most of these films don't get discussed that much. When I first came into film I did the same as you. Followed James' list, the one from AFI and others like IMDB. The first time I came across this compilation I was shocked that something like The Rules of the Game was at #2. In all honesty, I had never heard of the film until that point. And, that still happens. Rob (who has sort of retired) recently raved about a film called Spirit of the Beehive that's in the top 1000. I've downloaded the Excel spreadsheet and mark off films as I see them but I still couldn't recall coming across that title. World cinema is so huge that I think we'll go through our lifetime and still have "holes" in our movie watching.

And, even if the world does end in 2012, you'll still get to check out quite a few.


Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1430
Post Re: The Top 100
new list is up

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000 ... 0films.htm

Quote:
Barely any movement took place in the top part of the list. The highest ranked 17 films remain the same, and there was no change to the top 50 and only one to the top 100. However, there were some noteworthy movements within the top 100. Here is a handful-:
• Taxi Driver broke into the top 25 for the first time, moving from 26 to 22.
• The Wizard of Oz, The Battle of Algiers and Barry Lyndon all climbed nicely, whereas To Be or Not to Be, Voyage in Italy and Pickpocket experienced mini-nose dives.
• The sharpest risers, however, were Annie Hall and Double Indemnity, both up nine positions.
• In an exchange of avant-garde classics, Man with a Movie Camera (at the expense of Last Year at Marienbad), was the only change to the top 100, returning for the first time since 2008's edition.

Some big movers, overall, include Marcel Camus' Black Orpheus (up 235 spots), Alan J. Pakula's All the President's Men (up 204 spots), Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace (up 155 spots), Terence Davies' Distant Voices, Still Lives (up 146 spots) and Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut (up 143 spots). The five highest-ranked entrants are Bruce Robinson's Withnail & I, George Stevens' Swing Time, Mike Leigh's Secrets & Lies, Shohei Imamura's Vengeance is Mine, and Jules Dassin's Rififi.

For the first time Fritz Lang (taking over the reigns from John Ford) leads the way with 16 films on the list, followed by Ford (15), Luis Buñuel (14), Jean-Luc Godard (14), Ingmar Bergman (13), and Alfred Hitchcock (13).
• The 1960s is still the most heavily represented decade with 182 films on the list. The 2000s tally remains at 37.


Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: The Top 100
Quote:
Fritz Lang (taking over the reigns from John Ford) leads the way with 16 films on the list


Big Heat was actually one of the worst noirs I watched, in my opinion. Glenn Ford is always a weak lead, and the story has too much schmaltz to be great noir. I think Andrew Sarris hit the nail when he said:

"Lang's apparent weaknesses are the consequence of his virtues. He has always lacked the arid sophistication lesser directors display to such advantage. Lang's plots go inexplicably sour or sentimental at the very end. His characters never develop with any psychological precision, and his world lacks the details of verisimilitude that are so important to realistic critics."


Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1430
Post Re: The Top 100
Quote:
Big Heat was actually one of the worst noirs I watched, in my opinion


You gave it 3 stars here, as well as 3 stars for Scarlet Street & Woman in the Window. have your scores changed on a lot of these?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2728&p=59380#p59380


Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm
Profile
Post Re: The Top 100
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Big Heat was actually one of the worst noirs I watched, in my opinion


You gave it 3 stars here, as well as 3 stars for Scarlet Street & Woman in the Window. have your scores changed on a lot of these?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2728&p=59380#p59380


Woman in the Window still gets 3 stars. Scarlet Street 2.5, and Big Heat 2 stars. The coffee scene in the latter is way overhyped. Here's if you want real brutality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvG1PBNYFgM


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2000
Post Re: The Top 100
Films seen (2011 list)
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
3 Rules of the Game, The
4 2001: A Space Odyssey
5 Godfather, The
6 8½
7 Seven Samurai, The
9 Singin' in the Rain
10 Battleship Potemkin
11 Tokyo Story
12 Sunrise
13 Lawrence of Arabia
16 Casablanca
18 Raging Bull
19 Rashomon
20 Passion of Joan of Arc, The
22 Taxi Driver
23 Some Like it Hot
25 Grande illusion, La
26 City Lights
27 Third Man, The
28 Apocalypse Now
29 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
30 Psycho
31 General, The
33 Gold Rush, The
34 Sunset Blvd.
37 Chinatown
38 Blade Runner
43 It's a Wonderful Life
44 M
46 Rear Window
49 Ugetsu monogatari
51 Magnificent Ambersons, The
52 Strada, La
53 Seventh Seal, The
54 Modern Times
55 Intolerance
56 Wild Strawberries
57 North by Northwest
59 Apartment, The
60 Au hasard Balthazar
61 Wizard of Oz, The
65 Leopard, The
68 Greed
69 All About Eve
71 Metropolis
72 Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The
73 Jaws
74 Battle of Algiers, The
78 To Be or Not to Be
79 Barry Lyndon
80 Clockwork Orange, A
81 Notorious
82 Stagecoach
83 Ikiru
84 Sansho the Bailiff
85 Aguirre: The Wrath of God
87 Annie Hall
89 Double Indemnity
90 Playtime
91 On the Waterfront
95 Bringing Up Baby
96 My Darling Clementine
97 Man with a Movie Camera, The
98 Rome, Open City
99 GoodFellas
100 Star Wars

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2000
Post Re: The Top 100
Films not seen (2011 list)
8 Searchers, The
14 Bicycle Thieves
15 Godfather Part II, The
17 Atalante, L'
21 Touch of Evil
24 Dolce vita, La
32 Breathless
35 400 Blows, The (only seen part of this)
36 Enfants du paradis, Les
39 Ordet
40 Night of the Hunter, The
41 Avventura, L'
42 Andrei Rublev
45 Persona
47 Jules et Jim
48 Wild Bunch, The
50 Contempt
58 Rio Bravo
62 Pather Panchali
63 Once Upon a Time in the West
64 Gone with the Wind
66 Conformist, The
67 Mirror, The
70 Viridiana
75 Fanny and Alexander
76 Nashville (this has been on my must see list for ages)
77 Amarcord (only seen part of this)
86 Pierrot le fou
88 Madame de...
92 Voyage in Italy
93 Pickpocket
94 Letter from an Unknown Woman

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:06 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: The Top 100
What a road to march.

I have a physical copy of #93 Pickpocket that I have every intention of watching. Hard to say when that will happen. I still have a lot of holes in my top 100

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:16 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1430
Post Re: The Top 100
new list is up

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm


Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: The Top 100


GODDAMNIT I WAS ALMOST DONE.

Mulholland Dr. made it to 69 though... Interesting.


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: The Top 100
darthyoshi wrote:


GODDAMNIT I WAS ALMOST DONE.

Interesting changes I noticed:

- Mulholland Dr. made it to 69
- Yellow Submarine is on the list at 897
- The Tree of Life made it to 355


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: The Top 100
darthyoshi wrote:
- The Tree of Life made it to 355


Ugh. That's just...unfortunate. I've seriously never heard anyone give a good defense of that movie's greatness. It's like people saw a movie from Malick that had a "loose" plot and some pretty images and they just gave it the benefit of the doubt and hailed it as great. It's one of the most pretentious, nonsensical movies I've ever seen. To me, it's a poorly done "art" film with a trite message. Screw that movie.


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:28 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr