Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:28 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012 
Producer

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012
Sounds good.

Let's get this discussion rolling.

For Your Consideration for the Reelviews Lifetime Achievement/Hall of Fame/Best Around And Nothing's Gonna Ever Bring You Down/Whatever Award: John Williams.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm
Cinematographer

^ Ken's is an obviously great suggestion.

One question - the person, or persons, we nominate should still be alive, right?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:

One question - the person, or persons, we nominate should still be alive, right?

I wouldn't think so, necessarily. Seems a bit too arbitrary. I see no reason that, say, Peter O'Toole shoud be eligible, but not, say, Paul Newman.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Love the HOF style of voting.

My suggestion: Gene Hackman. Consistently brilliant for many years and made solid choices all around. You could claim a top-10 films of all time, all starring Hackman, and no one would really question that. Staggeringly good actor, to me, and much more nuanced than, say, Nicholson.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Cinematographer

Bones wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I wouldn't think so, necessarily. Seems a bit too arbitrary. I see no reason that, say, Peter O'Toole shoud be eligible, but not, say, Paul Newman.

I agree, but there's just so many people to attempt to honor if it's open to every person ever involved in movies. It's a bit intimidating and would likely result in some fairly uninteresting years to start since we'd be getting the really important guys in first.

Shade2 wrote:
Love the HOF style of voting.

My suggestion: Gene Hackman. Consistently brilliant for many years and made solid choices all around. You could claim a top-10 films of all time, all starring Hackman, and no one would really question that. Staggeringly good actor, to me, and much more nuanced than, say, Nicholson.

Hackman's my favorite actor ever, so I'll second this. Perfect choice.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm
Producer

PeachyPete wrote:
I agree, but there's just so many people to attempt to honor if it's open to every person ever involved in movies. It's a bit intimidating and would likely result in some fairly uninteresting years to start since we'd be getting the really important guys in first.

I personally don't mind that. Over the years, we'd rack up a pretty good cross-section of who's who in the Reelviewer canon. I think there's some value there.

There's a good possible name for this thing: The Reelviewer Canon.

Perhaps we should assign an informal directive that we submit votes for people who aren't just The Really Important People (i.e. people we know we should be voting for), but also people whose work is near and dear to us on a personal level. Obviously, there's going to be a lot of overlap, since those people probably got Really Important for a reason.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:10 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Perhaps we should assign an informal directive that we submit votes for people who aren't just The Really Important People (i.e. people we know we should be voting for), but also people whose work is near and dear to us on a personal level. Obviously, there's going to be a lot of overlap, since those people probably got Really Important for a reason.

I think this is an excellent compromise/workaround. It would just be kind of tedious if we felt like we had to nominate people like Orson Welles and Akira Kurosawa right off the bat. Not that I dislike their work (far from it), but I don't have any great personal affection for anything they've done. Like you said, there will be some overlap, and that's ok. There should be.

I just don't want us to feel like we have to get certain people in because that's what would be expected. The reason The Pedros and this canon/HOF began in the first place was because we don't like how these sorts of things are normally done in the movie world. We're way more awesome that those jive turkeys.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:03 pm
Producer

Yeah, I get that fully. Not that I don't love Orson Welles, but he has not had even close to the impact on my life nor impressed me with his sheer quantity of excellent work as John Williams.

John Williams.

John Williams.

John Williams.

.. ....

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 pm
Producer

As far as composers goes, Williams is definitely one of my favorites. I also love James Horner.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:31 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
As far as composers goes, Williams is definitely one of my favorites. I also love James Horner.

I'm also a big fan of Hans Zimmer.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:54 am
Cinematographer

Are only composers eligible for the ReelViews Lifetime Achievement Award? If not, I would definitely suggest Orson Welles or Marlon Brando.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:21 pm
Producer

Anybody's eligible. I'm just hyping Williams for his sheer volume of masterful work. Pound for pound, he is the filmmaker who has been involved in the most movies that have dovetailed into my life, and he is a clear example of someone who is stellar no matter what the quality of the rest of the film may be.

Someone once said that his music seems to have always existed. You hear the two notes from Jaws or the five notes from CE3K, and whatever it is that they mean to us, they feel like they've always meant it.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm
Gaffer

Best Supporting Actress: Doona Bae in Cloud Atlas. I thought she was terrific in one of my favorite films of the year. She may not do as much as some of the other candidates, but nonetheless I think she is worthy of a nomination.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:05 pm
Producer

So when is the deadline for us turn over our nominations again? Or has it already passed?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:24 am
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
So when is the deadline for us turn over our nominations again? Or has it already passed?

I'm curious too since l havent done mine

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm
Cinematographer

Haven't commented on this thread for some time now, so I guess that I should make some more suggestions, as well. My primary choice is listed first, with other individuals who definitely deserve more attention listed below.

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix in The Master
Plain and simple. I think that Phoenix gave one of the haunting, esoteric performances of the past year in a role that is perhaps one of the strangest ever concocted by Paul Thomas Anderson. Surprisingly nominated for a Best Actor Oscar after thrashing the Academy, Phoenix is perhaps one of the finest actors working today. Sure, Daniel Day-Lewis was great in Lincoln, but his performance in that gripping historical drama failed to reach the magnitude of his haunting turn as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood six years ago. Vote for Phoenix, people.

Alternatives: Jean-Louis Trintignant in Amour, Denis Lavant in Holy Motors, Anders Danielsen Lie in Oslo, August 31st

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty
I was originally indifferent to this film. Now, it is my favorite movie of 2012. What makes the latest War on Terror thriller from Kathryn Bigelow work is the sheer authenticity and cold demeanor of Chastain's performance as Maya in the film. Calm and collected, yet housing an unstoppable reservoir of moral ambiguity, Chastain gave the best performance by a female performer last year. I originally nominated Emmanuelle Riva for this award, yet I ultimately felt that her performance in Amour was just a whisker shy of the deftness Chastain brought to her role in Zero Dark Thirty.

Alternatives: Emmanuelle Riva in Amour, Marion Cotillard in Rust and Bone

Best Supporting Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman in The Master
You get it by now. I loved The Master. That being said, Phillip Seymour Hoffman easily gave the most chilling and lively supporting performance this year as the cult leader Lancaster Dodd, who ultimately becomes the Iago to Joaquin Phoenix's Othello in the film.

Alternatives: Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained, Javier Bardem in Skyfall, Bruce Willis in Moonrise Kingdom

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams in The Master
What a strange performance. In The Master, Amy Adam's plays Phillip Seymour Hoffman's wife, who is far more enigmatic than what meets the eye. If you haven't seen Paul Thomas Anderson's latest masterpiece by now, then do yourself a big favor and see it already.

Alternative: Ann Dowd in Compliance

Best Animated Feature: The Secret World of Arrietty
The Secret World of Arrietty kicked off what was ultimately a lukewarm year for animated feature. Nonetheless, this latest Studio Ghibli production permeates warmth and charm, with the luscious visuals and masterful storytelling in a year where the latest Disney-Pixar film failed to satisfy.

Alternatives: The Pirates! Band of Misfits, Wreck-It Ralph

Best Art Direction: Lincoln
Let's see: I was greatly disappointed by Les Miserables and Anna Karenina was a letdown, so I guess that I'm going with Lincoln.

Alternatives: Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Looper

I'll post some more suggestions later.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:46 pm
Cinematographer

I'm fairly certain that no one else has suggested this before, but does anyone else think that Michelle Williams would make an excellent addition to the list of Best Actress nominees for her performance in Take This Waltz?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 pm
Cinematographer

The voting cutoff is the day of the Oscars at 10:00 AM, but let's go ahead and make it the day after at 10:00 AM. I won't be doing anything until then anyway.

Syd, Jeff, Bones, and BrianB: if you guys see this, do you mind sending over ten names you think would be baller for the ReelViews Hall of Fame?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 pm
Producer

Story time.

I was listening to "The Fortress of Solitude" from the Superman score on my way to work today. At this point of the story, young Clark Kent has left Smallville and has hiked an incredible distance, headed north in response to a calling he doesn't understand but cannot resist.

As he trudges across the tundra, a single clarinet plays a lonely, searching melody. This is a minor key variation of the bombastic, brassy major key melody that introduced us to the Kryptonian civilization earlier in the movie. Now, instead of the full orchestra, it's just a lone instrument, playing the music of Krypton for the only Kryptonian left alive.

Clark looks across the harsh country over an iced-over stretch of land. The clarinet melody plays again and is echoed, one octave lower, by an oboe--a response, a returning signal from somewhere below.

Acting on impulse again, Clark takes out the crystal that came from his spacecraft and he throws it into the ice, where it plants itself deep down. The low strings churn and the high strings claw their way into their higher registers as the crystal spires of the Fortress of Solitude grow up from below the earth.

Once the Fortress stands complete, we finally hear a big, warm, brassy major key restatement of the Krypton motif--a sound of resolution, of homecoming, and of a search arriving at its destination. It is message welcoming Clark back to last remaining outpost of his lost world.

All in a day's work for...

John Williams.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Story time.

I was listening to "The Fortress of Solitude" from the Superman score on my way to work today. At this point of the story, young Clark Kent has left Smallville and has hiked an incredible distance, headed north in response to a calling he doesn't understand but cannot resist.

As he trudges across the tundra, a single clarinet plays a lonely, searching melody. This is a minor key variation of the bombastic, brassy major key melody that introduced us to the Kryptonian civilization earlier in the movie. Now, instead of the full orchestra, it's just a lone instrument, playing the music of Krypton for the only Kryptonian left alive.

Clark looks across the harsh country over an iced-over stretch of land. The clarinet melody plays again and is echoed, one octave lower, by an oboe--a response, a returning signal from somewhere below.

Acting on impulse again, Clark takes out the crystal that came from his spacecraft and he throws it into the ice, where it plants itself deep down. The low strings churn and the high strings claw their way into their higher registers as the crystal spires of the Fortress of Solitude grow up from below the earth.

Once the Fortress stands complete, we finally hear a big, warm, brassy major key restatement of the Krypton motif--a sound of resolution, of homecoming, and of a search arriving at its destination. It is message welcoming Clark back to last remaining outpost of his lost world.

All in a day's work for...

John Williams.

More like, all in a day's work for Goldeneye!

I'm so sorry

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next