Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Cinematographer

Post Re: What are you reading?
PeachyPete wrote:
Ken wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Hitchcock by Francois Truffaut.

I've been interested in this. Let us know how it is.

It's fantastic. It's basically a written version of an interview, but since Truffaut is an actual accomplished filmmaker (as opposed to a journalist), the two go pretty in-depth. They seem to genuinely like each other, and Truffaut is able to bring out a willingness to talk about his work in Hitchcock that most couldn't.

Hitchcock is refreshingly objective and open when it comes to his movies. He'll plainly state which movies he thought were successess and which he didn't think turned out very well. It's really surprising how critical he is of some of his actors.

I've only read up to the point of their discussion of Rebecca so far, but I can already tell I'll finish it with the same impressions as Pete. Pretty much an essential read.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Ken wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Hitchcock by Francois Truffaut.

I've been interested in this. Let us know how it is.

It's fantastic. It's basically a written version of an interview, but since Truffaut is an actual accomplished filmmaker (as opposed to a journalist), the two go pretty in-depth. They seem to genuinely like each other, and Truffaut is able to bring out a willingness to talk about his work in Hitchcock that most couldn't.

Hitchcock is refreshingly objective and open when it comes to his movies. He'll plainly state which movies he thought were successess and which he didn't think turned out very well. It's really surprising how critical he is of some of his actors.

Finished this a couple days back. It's a fascinating and completely absorbing inside look into the mind of one of cinema's greatest directors, but there were also plenty of nuggets of information relating to style and technique that are going to stick with me for a long time. I especially liked the idea that film students should be required to make a silent film, because without the aid of dialogue they would be forced to tell their stories through purely visual terms. Seems like something my professors should have considered when I was in film school.

I picked up a couple more books from the library: Roger Ebert's Your Movie Sucks and Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep. Both of those are what I'm reading now.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

New to this thread. Didn't realize we had one devoted to books.

I just finished reading George Orwell's 1984. Now on to Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I then plan on moving on to Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange, and Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Great dystopian literature. At the same time, I'm also reading J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Just finished the first book(graphic novel) of Y: The Last Man and a neat little science fiction book called The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Can somebody give me some recommendations of books on film?

I've been trying to get into them, and so far, random browsing has led me to purchase the following books: Scorsese on Scorsese by Ian Christie and David Thompson, Notes on the Cinematographer by Robert Bresson, and Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee. I started reading the latter and have begun to greatly understand some of the principles of screenwriting. I didn't know whether these are great books, so I mostly bought them on instinct.

I would prefer books that didn't focus on a specific director's works, so stuff like Hitchcock/Truffaut and the book by Donald Spoto as well as the above Scorsese book have to wait for me before I am able to watch their filmography. I would rather like books on general observations of film as art but any recommendations from you guys are welcome. I am mostly asking this to understand the language of cinema better.

I am also looking at The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film because I always feel my knowledge of the editor's role is next to nothing. What is your take on that?

P.S.: Links to blogs or film-related bloggers you read are also welcome. (I discovered Jim Emerson on here and that has been an eye-opening experience.)

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Sidney Lumet's Making Movies is probably the best nuts and bolts look at the filmmaking process you're going to find. He explains virtually everything involved with making in movie in detail and offers countless personal anecdotes. It's a really great book for someone looking to learn what goes into making a movie.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Thanks Pete. Heard a lot of good things about it elsewhere as well, so went ahead and ordered it.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Seconding Pete's recommendation of Making Movies. Another good nuts and bolts one is Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew. In that one he shows how he made El Mariachi cheaply and quickly.

Two good ones on independent film are Emmanuel Levy's Cinema Of Outsiders and James Mottram's The Sundance Kids.

Also recommended: The Playboy Interviews: The DIrectors. The directors interviewed range from Welles to Fellini to Altman to Scorsese to Tarantino (Clint Eastwood and Oliver Stone get two interviews each). The directors discuss their films and numerous other subjects. A lot of times the interviews go down unexpected paths. For instance, Stanley Kubrick doesn't discuss movies at all. Instead he engages the interviewer in a phiosophical discussion of existence and mortality.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm
Producer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Also recommended: The Playboy Interviews: The DIrectors. The directors interviewed range from Welles to Fellini to Altman to Scorsese to Tarantino (Clint Eastwood and Oliver Stone get two interviews each). The directors discuss their films and numerous other subjects. A lot of times the interviews go down unexpected paths. For instance, Stanley Kubrick doesn't discuss movies at all. Instead he engages the interviewer in a phiosophical discussion of existence and mortality.

I've read this book a bunch of times. The magnitude of ass it kicks is astronomical.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 am
Second Unit Director

Thanks guys. Emmanuel Levy's Cinema Of Outsiders and James Mottram's The Sundance Kids are both available on Kindle, that should make it easier to start reading them once I complete my current set. The other two seem much more hard to find where I live, especially The Playboy Interviews: The Directors; I may have to get them on Amazon.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Just finished up Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep. I wanted to read something from one of the authors who provided a great influence on American noir, and this served as a nice introduction. I'm also almost done with Ebert's first The Great Movies collection, and I have the other two waiting for me from the library.

Next up, at least in terms of fiction, is either Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley or Thomas Pynchon's V.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Also recommended: The Playboy Interviews: The DIrectors.

Got this from the library too.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I'm currently reading "Escape from Camp 14".

A book about the vile North Korean gulag system.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 am
Director

Finished Gone Girl. One of the more intense books I've read in a while; I almost got a mild headache when finished. Very good book. Still, a bit disappointed that..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
...when the twist in the middle of the book happened. Mind you, it was a great twist. But I've been enjoying the dissection of a troubled marriage under the guise of a mystery, what with the ambiguity of both sides misinterpreting what they wanted after they've been married for a while. And then into it veered into Fatal Attraction-in-reverse territory, and all the ambiguity of the marriage is out (but thankfully not in the characters). That said, the second half of the book is still great; I think I read the second half in less than 4 hours (versus the 2-3 days that I read the first half). And the ending is major f**k-your-head nuts and so dark, but also made sense.

I can see why David Fincher would be the choice direct this. At first I thought this was more a Sam Mendes territory.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:19 am
Cinematographer

I just finished up today the 10 volumes of the original run of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, and it's easy to see why it has such a high reputation. Some of the volumes were more absorbing than others, and I mostly preferred the ones that focused on telling a single, longer narrative than the ones that served more as collections of shorter stories. Still, it's amazing how even seemingly minor moments and characters that are set up early come back around late to have vital importance. Definitely one of the more imaginative worlds I've had the pleasure to immerse myself in, full of wonder and horror in equal measure.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The Catcher in the Rye Just about finished with it.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Lemony Snicket's Who Could That Be at This Hour? is the first book in his new All the Wrong Questions series. It's very fun, and more impressive first book than The Bad Beginning from his earlier series. The writer turned the eccentric writing from gothic to hard-boiled detective, and it's both funny and fast-paced reading. Recommended, especially if you're a fan of ASoUE before.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 am
Director

I've been reading The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. It's a fine narrative, and Mailer is an excellent writer.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am
Second Unit Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
I just finished up today the 10 volumes of the original run of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, and it's easy to see why it has such a high reputation. Some of the volumes were more absorbing than others, and I mostly preferred the ones that focused on telling a single, longer narrative than the ones that served more as collections of shorter stories. Still, it's amazing how even seemingly minor moments and characters that are set up early come back around late to have vital importance. Definitely one of the more imaginative worlds I've had the pleasure to immerse myself in, full of wonder and horror in equal measure.

I'm currently on the Absolute Sandman Volume 3. So far, it's been pretty terrific.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm
Producer

I've been up to my neck in H.P. Lovecraft and Arthur Conan Doyle lately... and their books are pretty great, too.

Hiyo.

Also currently reading Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye, which I was randomly given by a dude I met at the screening of Superman: The Movie that I went to recently. He worked at the theater and had a big stack of Superman literature with him at the desk, so we struck up a conversation after the movie.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:48 pm
Cinematographer

JackBurns wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I'm currently on the Absolute Sandman Volume 3. So far, it's been pretty terrific.

Nice! If I'm remembering right, that third volume is the first one that's a collection of shorter stories. It was probably my least favorite of the volumes; the short stories in the later volumes are more interesting. The good news is that the volume that follows it might be my favorite.

I sat down for about an hour and a half and read The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida, who has autism and who wrote the book about his experiences when he was still in high school. I have a five-year-old cousin with autism, and so when Jon Stewart talked about the book on his show about a week back, I felt the need to pick it up. It's pretty extraordinary, and whether you know someone with autism or don't, I would recommend taking the time to read it (it's only 78 pages long).

Now reading: Thomas Pynchon's new book, Bleeding Edge.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next