Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Politics: Gun Control, Obamacare, tax increase... 
Director

Post Re: Politics: Gun Control, Obamacare, tax increase...
Quote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

In college, our place (meaning my roommates and I) was broken into 3 times: twice at one location, one at the other. Now we weren't home when they broke in, but had we been, those low lifes would have been in for a rude awakening.

Where did you go to school that led to your place getting robbed three times? I've gone to school in cities and rural areas, and never had my place broken into.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm
Second Unit Director

You'll also find that if someone's planning to rob a house, they'll generally try and ensure that no one's home. I don't know anyone who've been robbed whist they've been home.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm
Auteur

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
You'll also find that if someone's planning to rob a house, they'll generally try and ensure that no one's home. I don't know anyone who've been robbed whist they've been home.

Again it depends on the neighborhoods, if you live in a suburban area you probably won't have to worry about a break-in, as the police response time for those neighborhood is usually pretty fast. But if you live in a lower-class neighborhood(I.E. East St. Louis)then you definitely shouldn't rule out a break-in, as there are some areas where police will either take a long time to respond to calls or just won't go there at all, so having protection is definitely a good idea, and it's cheaper to buy a gun then a security system.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Quote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

In college, our place (meaning my roommates and I) was broken into 3 times: twice at one location, one at the other. Now we weren't home when they broke in, but had we been, those low lifes would have been in for a rude awakening.

Where did you go to school that led to your place getting robbed three times? I've gone to school in cities and rural areas, and never had my place broken into.

We lived in an area with houses and duplexes strictly for college students. Then, the city (or state, I don't know which one approves this) made it so that area was sectioned off for section-8 subsidized housing. It got real low class, real ghetto, real fast. The people who robbed us were actually our neighbors (of a certain thug type) who had moved in next door. We were all away for christmas vacation when it happened...but you want to know how these low lifes were caught? We were speaking with a detective outside of our duplex, when low and behold, my roommate spotted our neighbors taking in our stuff, right in front of us and the cops. The cops raided them that night and found our stuff. Damn some people are just borne stupid.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:21 am
Cinematographer

Quote:
I have one other question. Why do some people feel the need to carry a gun on them everywhere they go? What purpose does this serve? For self-defense? Crime is not that bad in this country. I grew up in the Philadelphia, PA area, and I knew where to go so I wouldn't find trouble. I've never been the victim of a crime, and I've never gone looking for that kind of trouble. Which makes me wonder about those who carry guns all the time...are they secretly hoping they might get to use them?

I say this as someone who does own a gun, and has only carried it publicly once.

Hopefully no offense, but I edited out the profanity and religious figure from the quote.

Just as you think it sad that someone feels the need to carry a weapon in the U.S., so do I. Whereas you choose to allow the hoodlums to determine where you may go and what you may do, I choose go where I want to, when I want to, and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to carry the means to protect myself anywhere I am. I would rather that the streets be safe and the people be respectful of each other, but that is not the way among the population centers of the U.S.

I have had things stolen by a burglar from my apartment in St. Louis. Thus far in my life that is the extent of my own direct experience with crime. Now I work in Memphis, which had 89 homicides and 10,384 incidents of violent crime in 2010 according to the official records. Most of that crime is focused in certain areas, but a couple of those areas are on my path to work and another is the surrounding location where I work. I see no need to volunteer myself defenseless when entering one of the most likely areas for violent crime in the nation. I also do not understand why someone would think I should deprive myself and my family of good work and income to make allowances for territories staked out by lawless people. The police response around here is fantastic with an average response time of about two minutes. But the statistics show that response doesn't equal prevention.

Meanwhile, in the surrounding county where I reside, almost everyone is legally armed and I feel perfectly safe since they do not have intent to harm me. Accidents do happen, but I don't know anyone personally that has been injured by the abundance of legally owned firearms. I do know several people who have been victims of violent crime, including one man who was pistol whipped during a home invasion from which he nearly died and required multiple surgeries to piece his face back together.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 am
Cinematographer

Since this is a movie site...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 31.72 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]
Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 pm
Director

CasualDad wrote:

Just as you think it sad that someone feels the need to carry a weapon in the U.S., so do I. Whereas you choose to allow the hoodlums to determine where you may go and what you may do, I choose go where I want to, when I want to, and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to carry the means to protect myself anywhere I am.

It's not a question of people determining where I can and can't go, it's just exercising basic common sense. There's no way I'm going into north Philly or south Camden, armed or not. That's gang territory, and going there is just asking for trouble. Common sense is everyone's friend.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:

Seems like a bad example, considering that the number of lightsabers was strictly limited and only an elite government-recognized militia was using them.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Seems like a bad example, considering that the number of lightsabers was strictly limited and only an elite government-recognized militia was using them.

Not the point of the picture, but to further your line of thought, then it is a good argument for an armed populace when those "limited weapons" are turned upon unarmed civilians (assuming that the younglings are not Jedi Knights yet) in illegal or tyrannical actions by the ruling order.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

Just as you think it sad that someone feels the need to carry a weapon in the U.S., so do I. Whereas you choose to allow the hoodlums to determine where you may go and what you may do, I choose go where I want to, when I want to, and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to carry the means to protect myself anywhere I am.

It's not a question of people determining where I can and can't go, it's just exercising basic common sense. There's no way I'm going into north Philly or south Camden, armed or not. That's gang territory, and going there is just asking for trouble. Common sense is everyone's friend.

True, but just because you have common sense dosen't necessarily mean it won't happen, some people just want to be prepared no matter how slim the chances are, while Iwouldn't want to carry a firearm myself, I certainly can't blame people for wanting some protection either.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 pm
Cinematographer

Common sense does suggest that one doesn't wander into gang territory looking for adventure, and I do not do such things. However, the local employers for which my skills are best suited happen to be in very high crime areas. I am not inclined to let fear of lawless people limit my access to the best jobs available in the area. I understand why someone else might, but I don't think of limiting my ability to earn an honest living because society wants to tolerate regional depravity as a form of common sense.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
Not the point of the picture, but to further your line of thought, then it is a good argument for an armed populace when those "limited weapons" are turned upon unarmed civilians (assuming that the younglings are not Jedi Knights yet) in illegal or tyrannical actions by the ruling order.

Come now. The reason civilians don't have those weapons is because they require special training in the ways of the Force in order to use safely. A civilian with a lightsaber is going to put an eye out.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm
Second Unit Director

CasualDad wrote:
Common sense does suggest that one doesn't wander into gang territory looking for adventure, and I do not do such things. However, the local employers for which my skills are best suited happen to be in very high crime areas. I am not inclined to let fear of lawless people limit my access to the best jobs available in the area. I understand why someone else might, but I don't think of limiting my ability to earn an honest living because society wants to tolerate regional depravity as a form of common sense.

Prostitute or drug dealer? :P

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Come now. The reason civilians don't have those weapons is because they require special training in the ways of the Force in order to use safely. A civilian with a lightsaber is going to put an eye out.

Han Solo seemed to handle himself pretty well.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm
Cinematographer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

Prostitute or drug dealer? :P

The neighborhood around work has plenty of both. I am not blessed with the assets or ambition - though drug dealer is not too far off.

I'm an engineer in the medical industry and the companies require close proximity to the airport so needed products can be shipped as soon as possible for surgery.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 pm
Second Unit Director

CasualDad wrote:
The neighborhood around work has plenty of both. I am not blessed with the assets or ambition - though drug dealer is not too far off.

I'm an engineer in the medical industry and the companies require close proximity to the airport so needed products can be shipped as soon as possible for surgery.

And to think I became an engineer to get away from that environment.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm
Gaffer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

We were all away for christmas vacation when it happened...but you want to know how these low lifes were caught? We were speaking with a detective outside of our duplex, when low and behold, my roommate spotted our neighbors taking in our stuff, right in front of us and the cops. The cops raided them that night and found our stuff. Damn some people are just borne stupid.

I've never heard this part of that story. Dummies.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 am
Second Unit Director

I bet this isn't covered nationally. Oh, look...an armed intruder who forced his way into his ex girlfriend's home was fatally shot, as the woman inside exercised her 2nd amendment rights.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130203/ARTICLES/130209892/1139?Title=Man-shot-to-death-after-forcing-his-way-into-home-deputies-say

What if that woman had not been allowed to own a handgun? She would probably be dead.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 pm
Second Unit Director

Sandy Hook father (who's daughter was in lockdown during the massacre) speaks to Congress on gun control. I guarantee you will not see this clip on any news broadcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXPlCjr0Vw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm
Producer

There is no point in posting news stories of individual incidents. Every one of them can be countered with an individual incident that speaks equally for the opposite position.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next