Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Celebrating the Epically Awful 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Celebrating the Epically Awful
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Having not seen Cosmopolis, I can't comment on it specifically. But I've seen most of Cronenberg's work and can say without reservation that he's never made a boring film. Some are more successful than others, yes, but none of his work is boring.

You haven't seen eXistenZ have you?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Director

patrick wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Having not seen Cosmopolis, I can't comment on it specifically. But I've seen most of Cronenberg's work and can say without reservation that he's never made a boring film. Some are more successful than others, yes, but none of his work is boring.

There's two or three Cronenberg works that I haven't seen, and that is one of them.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
patrick wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

There's two or three Cronenberg works that I haven't seen, and that is one of them.

Existenz is definitely worth checking out, it's similar to Dark City/Matrix in some aspects, but still feels unique, I wish Crononberg would make more films like that and less stuff like Cosmopolis, which I did find incredibly boring, even when something did happen, it didn't really "shock" me so much as make me roll my eyes in disinterest. I can appreciate "Crash", but not this film, JB's review was dead on(though I would've struggled to given it even half a star).

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:55 am
Producer

Shall we bring up the 2006 remake of The Wicker Man? If you're looking for awful, it doesn't get much better than this.

It has been suggested in various quarters that Nicolas Cage realized ahead of time how bad this movie was going to be. I can buy that. His performance is perfectly attuned to bring out the best of all the unintentional comedy at all times.

I say this sincerely: the man is a national treasure.

No pun intended.

Well, maybe a little.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 am
Producer

Not the bees!!!!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 am
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Shall we bring up the 2006 remake of The Wicker Man? If you're looking for awful, it doesn't get much better than this.

It has been suggested in various quarters that Nicolas Cage realized ahead of time how bad this movie was going to be. I can buy that. His performance is perfectly attuned to bring out the best of all the unintentional comedy at all times.

I say this sincerely: the man is a national treasure.

No pun intended.

Well, maybe a little.

That was a pretty bad film, but Cage's absolute worst film by far is Season Of The Witch, which isn't even enjoyable in a so-bad-its-good way, it's just downright tedious to sit through.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:51 am
Director

I totally forgot about Te Wicker Man, but it is kind of funny. I'd watch it if I were in the right mood.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 pm
Director

On that epically awful scale, we have that Eddie Murphy POS The Adventures Of Pluto Nash. It isn't as bad as Norbit or as some people say it is. It's actually worse. Norbit at least provoked a few minor guffaws. I didn't laugh once when watching Pluto Nash the first and only time I watched it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
On that epically awful scale, we have that Eddie Murphy POS The Adventures Of Pluto Nash. It isn't as bad as Norbit or as some people say it is. It's actually worse. Norbit at least provoked a few minor guffaws. I didn't laugh once when watching Pluto Nash the first and only time I watched it.

I thought it was a decent film, it has some laughs but IMO it's more of a sci-fi adventure film then an outright comedy.

I'm curious as to what you thought of Murphy's latest film "A Thousand Words" everyone is calling it his worst film ever.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
I'm curious as to what you thought of Murphy's latest film "A Thousand Words" everyone is calling it his worst film ever.

... which might be saying something, given his track record. :?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am
Auteur

There was also Year One(not to be confused with the Batman comic), one of the most miserable excuses for a comedy that i've ever seen, that film never elicited so much as a chuckle from me, i'd expect terrible humor from a first time director, not from a seasoned professional like Harold Ramis, he ought to be embarassed at directing such a terrible film while thinking "dur, people eating shit is funny!" :roll: it's no better then a Seltzerberg film.
Your Highness was pretty awful as well, but at least it had Portman and Deschanel to lessen the pain.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:17 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

Didn't see it. WIll not see it unless someone either puts a gun to my head and makes me or pays me $360,00.000 to do so.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Didn't see it. WIll not see it unless someone either puts a gun to my head and makes me or pays me $360,00.000 to do so.

That's how I feel about Uli Lommel's films, you thought Uwe Boll was a bad German filmmaker? He looks like Scorcese next to Lommel, who basically makes nothing but zero budget DTV films about real-life serial killers(though he did make the half-way decent Boogeyman at the start of his career) that are loosely based on "true stories", you won't find more ineptly made films anywhere, they're so boring and tedious to sit through that I'd rather watch a Ken Burns documentary.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 pm
Director

Ken Burns is a pretty good documentary filmmaker.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Ken Burns is a pretty good documentary filmmaker.

I'm sure he is, but I just don't have that kind of patience.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm
Cinematographer

If this thread includes films that are so bad that they're good, then one cannot leave out the classic known as Troll 2 with scenes such as the following:

Best. Line. Delivery. Ever.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:15 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Here's a film i'm sure most of us can agree is godawful-Cosmopolis,what the fuck was Crononberg thinking? I'm beginning to lose faith in him(he's doing ANOTHER film with Pattinson called "Map To The Stars" :roll: ) ever making a good film again. I could not possibly think of a worse 2012 film if I tried, the story was pretentious artsy crap of the worst kind, and the film proves once and for all that Robert Pattinson cannot act worth a damn, I have NEVER seen a more wooden performance then the one he gives in that movie. But even a better actor wouldn't have been able to save this dreck, so maybe I shouldn't blame Pattinson too much, but all the same, now that Twilight is finally over, I think his days as a leading man are numbered.

Is the world ending? Am I dying? I actually agree with Vexer 100% of the way. Wow!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
There was also Year One(not to be confused with the Batman comic), one of the most miserable excuses for a comedy that i've ever seen, that film never elicited so much as a chuckle from me, i'd expect terrible humor from a first time director, not from a seasoned professional like Harold Ramis, he ought to be embarassed at directing such a terrible film while thinking "dur, people eating shit is funny!" :roll: it's no better then a Seltzerberg film.
Your Highness was pretty awful as well, but at least it had Portman and Deschanel to lessen the pain.

Year One is quite possibly the worst film i've ever, ever seen.

It's like concentrated nuclear shit...or something

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm
Assistant Director

Identity Thief? Killer Elite? Soul Plane? Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus?

All solid choices for the biggest stinkers of all time. But I've seen the movie that should end this thread once and for all:

Ben & Arthur

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Identity Thief? Killer Elite? Soul Plane? Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus?

All solid choices for the biggest stinkers of all time. But I've seen the movie that should end this thread once and for all:

Ben & Arthur

Liked all those films, never saw Ben And Arthur and never will though.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 pm