Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:19 am

Justice League Movie? 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Justice League Movie?
Apparently Aquaman did not make the cut in the Justice League roster

The Justice league for the movie is rumoured to be : Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash

Any fan of Aquaman here?

Attachments:
justice_league_movie_cast.jpg
justice_league_movie_cast.jpg [ 58.84 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Aquaman is alright, but I doubt most people will be upset that he's not in the film.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm
Producer

Hm. Traditionally, the Justice League's lead roster includes seven characters, with the sixth and seventh positions going to some combination of Martian Manhunter, Aqua Man, and/or Hawkman.

Not that the movie has to be bound by tradition, but it's still peculiar.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Hm. Traditionally, the Justice League's lead roster includes seven characters, with the sixth and seventh positions going to some combination of Martian Manhunter, Aqua Man, and/or Hawkman.

True, but having only five characters would allow they're screentime to be more evenly distributed, the film might feel bloated with more then five characters.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm
Producer

I realize it's a sketchy proposition and it hasn't worked well in previous films, but there is a good catalog of Justice League episodes to draw inspiration from. Those were usually about 45 minutes (told in two parts) and often made good use of all seven characters.

That would actually be my suggestion to any filmmaker about to negotiate any or all of these characters. Look to the DC animated shows starting with Batman: The Animated Series and running through Justice League Unlimited. Those shows are a master class in handling these characters in a way that fulfills all the needs you could imagine: balancing an ensemble cast, packing the stories with action, maintaining an emotional resonance, telling stories that appeal to kids and adults alike, and so on.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:

According Yahoo News :

Quote:
Now Latino Review, which cites a source in the production and has dropped a number of exclusives in the comic book realm in recent months, is reporting that the final line-up will comprise the best-known five characters, though there are said to be cameos possible from Martian Manhunter and Aquaman.

It seems a likely ensemble, but as yet there's no confirmation from DC or Warner Bros, though it is set to begin shooting later this year.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I will also go on record and say that I despise the "New 52" era costumes, particularly Superman's. A design nightmare.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:41 am
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Apparently Aquaman did not make the cut in the Justice League roster

The Justice league for the movie is rumoured to be : Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash

Any fan of Aquaman here?

I offer the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0P3YeLFotc

I think that if aqua man is done like justice league (the cartoon series), then he would be cool. All other versions are not the best.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm
Producer

I think most people who find Aquaman silly are judging him mainly by the idea of a character whose main attribute is having a telepathic connection to fish. When he's actually used in stories, he tends not to be so silly--at least, no more silly than the other heroes.

Those people probably only know him from the Superfriends cartoon, in which all the heroes are pretty silly.

One of my favorite Aquaman quotes comes from the dystopian "what if?" story Kingdom Come:

Quote:
You have hundreds of champions to defend a few land masses. I protect the other seventy percent of the world, and there is only one of me.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm
Assistant Director

Rumours about the Justice League have not being good lately.

* It seems that the studio did not like the script from Will Beall and without script well no director lol. I was not impressed with the script of Gangster squad so maybe either Will Beall has to lift his game substantially or a new writer has to step up.

* The release date might change or even cancelled. It will depend in how the Man of Steel does in the box office. Well 2015 was going to be tough as it is looking one of the best years in decades for Cinema with films such as:

The Avengers 2
Star Wars Episode 7
Pirates of the Caribbean 5
Mockingjay Part 2
Fantastic Four Reboot
World of Warcraft
Hotel Transylvania 2 (Believe it or not I am looking for this one myself lol)
Peanuts

So better get The Justice League right and then go with a release date but having said that, I would still love to see a showdown between The Avengers and Justice League in the same year ;-)

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Peanuts? As in the comic strip? Please tell me it's going to be animated.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:23 pm
Auteur

I REALLY hope that Pirates films flops big time, that series sucks and has LONG overstayed it's welcome, and World Of Warcraft? Seriously? I'm guessing it's going to end up being a rip-off of LOTR. Couldn't care less about Peanuts though, to be honest I'm not really a Charlie Brown fan.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Peanuts? As in the comic strip? Please tell me it's going to be animated.

It's going to be :-)

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I REALLY hope that Pirates films flops big time.....

Well the last Pirates made over 1Billion in the Box office. I liked the first one and a bit the last one because it was shot natively in 3D ;-)

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Producer

unwindfilms wrote:

Looks like the production company works in 3D animation. That's troubling. I have a hard time imagining Charles Shulz's distinctive style in anything other than hand drawings.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 am
Cinematographer

I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Justice League movie never even managed to get its feet off the ground: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Three-Re ... 35636.html.

Look at all of the blockbusters already lined up for 2015. Avengers 2 already has Joss Whedon. Star Wars: Episode VII has J.J. Abrams. Keep in mind that both of these franchises already have established films to work off of. Not a single Justice League film has hit theaters yet, and I can't imagine production starting until Man of Steel is released. Will Beall's script has already been labelled "terrible" by multiple sources, so if WB rushes to re-write the script, find a director, get together a cast, and start filming a month or two after Man of Steel's release, then they will only have roughly a year to get everything together. They already have nothing to work off of. Unlike The Avengers, where each individual film helped build up the suspense to the final product, JLA will have only movie to work off.

Another thing: how well will Man of Steel do? Iron Man 3 will do great business this summer, because there are already tons of people who are fans of both the character and the latest Avengers film. Wolverine should do fine, seeing as X-Men: First Class was a welcome surprise in 2011. Man of Steel is new to the game. It is this year's The Amazing Spider-Man, a reboot to a franchise that didn't necessarily have to be shut down and started all over again from scratch. Sure, Superman Returns was terrible, but it certainly didn't populate the same ring as Daredevil or Ghost Rider. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong. The fact that Nolan is executive producer gives me greater confidence, and perhaps his name will draw in more people. However, there are two elements that just don't work for me: Zac Snyder and Henry Cavill. I cannot recall seeing a single Snyder film that I didn't hate, and Cavill was unimpressive in both Immortals and The Cold Light of Day. To put things into perspective, Man of Steel isn't even my second most-anticipated comic-book movie of the year. I can't even remember the trailer for it.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:59 pm