Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012 
Director

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012
Quote:
The Deep Blue Sea: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Rachel Weisz), Best Actor (Tom Hiddleston), Best Supporting Actor (Simon Russell Beale), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Use of Music
~If you guys are looking for movies to watch for the Pedros that might make your list, here's one that's kind of off the beaten path but not really. Terence Davies has actually been honored at the Pedros before with Of Time and the City (courtesy of friggin' Zeppelin, that handsome man) and it'd be nice to see his film honored again. Rachel Weisz's surprise Globe nomination is no surprise to me; she's been doing great work for years and does great work here. Simon Russell Beale is particularly interesting as a man who sees his marriage crumble right in front of him. The way he reacts to the situation is something to behold because of the amount of restraint shown. He provides a nice contrast to Tom Hiddleston's character, yet he's the one getting shafted.

Can anyone provide a quick overview of Davie's work? I'm interested but haven't seen a thing.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 pm
Cinematographer

ed_metal_head wrote:
How did you feel about In Bruges, Petey? I know it's very well regarded in this forum but I found it "just" good. And, frankly, I disliked the film's dialogue. Another example of someone (McDonagh) trying too hard.

I liked In Bruges, but also found it just good. Most consider it better than McDonagh's most recent film, but I, obviously, completely disagree. Colin Farrell is fantastic in the former, though.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
The Deep Blue Sea: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Rachel Weisz), Best Actor (Tom Hiddleston), Best Supporting Actor (Simon Russell Beale), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Use of Music
~If you guys are looking for movies to watch for the Pedros that might make your list, here's one that's kind of off the beaten path but not really. Terence Davies has actually been honored at the Pedros before with Of Time and the City (courtesy of friggin' Zeppelin, that handsome man) and it'd be nice to see his film honored again. Rachel Weisz's surprise Globe nomination is no surprise to me; she's been doing great work for years and does great work here. Simon Russell Beale is particularly interesting as a man who sees his marriage crumble right in front of him. The way he reacts to the situation is something to behold because of the amount of restraint shown. He provides a nice contrast to Tom Hiddleston's character, yet he's the one getting shafted.

Can anyone provide a quick overview of Davie's work? I'm interested but haven't seen a thing.

I can't, actually. This is the first of his that I've seen. This one plays around with melodrama and style in a satisfying way, but I can't claim that's representative of what he does as a whole.

As a reminder, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and This is Not a Film are eligible for Best Foreign Language Film because, well, they're in different languages. Their status as documentaries is irrelevant to me.

So I saw Holy Motors over the weekend. First, WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WAS THAT? Second, it should be considered for several Pedros, including Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Use of Music, Sound Mixing, and FUCKIN' MAKE-UP. If nothing else, it deserves a make-up nomination. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie where make-up is so integral to the film's "plot," if you can call it that.

I've decided that Michael Pena's role in End of Watch is of the supporting variety, for better or worse. Honestly, there are really good arguments on both sides, but I can't shake the feeling that it's Jake's story at the end of the day. In context of acting, the Pedros are less about screen time and more about the role. Michael Pena has as much screen time as Jack and drives the narrative in interesting ways, but he supports Jake's story in ways that Jack is incapable of doing for him. Yeesh, I wonder what we'd do about Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
I've decided that Michael Pena's role in End of Watch is of the supporting variety, for better or worse. Honestly, there are really good arguments on both sides, but I can't shake the feeling that it's Jake's story at the end of the day. In context of acting, the Pedros are less about screen time and more about the role. Michael Pena has as much screen time as Jack and drives the narrative in interesting ways, but he supports Jake's story in ways that Jack is incapable of doing for him.

I think that's the right decision for the right reasons, my good man. Question, though (spoilerz for End of Watch upcoming)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
while I agree with you that it's Jake's story more than it's Pena's, doesn't the end (with Jake surviving) scream re-shoots to please audiences who found it too much of a downer with both guys dying? I can't find evidence of this one way or another... emotionally I was glad one of them made it, but I feel like it was not the natural projection of the story... just wondering your thoughts.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
I've decided that Michael Pena's role in End of Watch is of the supporting variety, for better or worse. Honestly, there are really good arguments on both sides, but I can't shake the feeling that it's Jake's story at the end of the day. In context of acting, the Pedros are less about screen time and more about the role. Michael Pena has as much screen time as Jack and drives the narrative in interesting ways, but he supports Jake's story in ways that Jack is incapable of doing for him.

I think that's the right decision for the right reasons, my good man. Question, though (spoilerz for End of Watch upcoming)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
while I agree with you that it's Jake's story more than it's Pena's, doesn't the end (with Jake surviving) scream re-shoots to please audiences who found it too much of a downer with both guys dying? I can't find evidence of this one way or another... emotionally I was glad one of them made it, but I feel like it was not the natural projection of the story... just wondering your thoughts.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yeah, the ending was a bit of a cop-out for me. They both should have died or back-up should've taken less time to arrive. (I guess everyone was stuck in traffic, sadly a plausible scenario.) I'm not convinced it was ever meant to be that way, perhaps in part because it was shot down in the writing stage as something studios would never allow. That's kind of the same thing, or at the very least the same mentality.

I've been working on my ballot and I already have so many things I want to put on there that won't make it - and I haven't even seen Argo, Life of Pi, or Amour yet! (Let alone the films people have been pimping in this thread.) I finally saw Flight. Denzel's going to make my Best Actor ballot a fuckin' nightmare. Kelly Reilly was excellent, too, props to Shade for mentioning her.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 pm
Director

Quote:
So I saw Holy Motors over the weekend. First, WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WAS THAT? Second, it should be considered for several Pedros, including Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Use of Music, Sound Mixing, and FUCKIN' MAKE-UP. If nothing else, it deserves a make-up nomination. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie where make-up is so integral to the film's "plot," if you can call it that.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what if there's no more beholder?" That line just by itself might earn an instant spot in the annals of movie history. So much to think about.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 pm
Cinematographer

For those interested, another one of the 2013 Best Documentary Feature Oscar nominees, 5 Broken Cameras, has just been added to Netflix Instant.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Best Actor - Jack Black, Bernie. I really didn't think Jack Black had it in him. I felt like I detected some winking at first, but the more I watched, the more I was convinced I brought that with me. The performance itself was totally committed. And I completely believed in the character. The Seventy-Six Trombones scene in particular was pretty great. Wonderful performance.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 pm

One I completely forgot...

Aubrey Plaza - Safety Not Guaranteed. For... Best Actress? My gut was supporting, but the more I think on it... that's the lead role in the movie, isn't it? Anyway, she's completely winning. It's such a charming performance, draws you right in in a way I'm not sure I would have thought she could. It's a very sweet movie, and her performance is definitely the heart of it.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
For those interested, another one of the 2013 Best Documentary Feature Oscar nominees, 5 Broken Cameras, has just been added to Netflix Instant.

This is a good one, and will likely be one of my five. I don't think How to Survive a Plague or The Invisible War will make my five, which are currently occupied by Jiro, Indie Game, Undefeated, and This is Not a Film. I'm seeing Searching for Sugar Man on Tuesday, so we'll see if that can kick out any of those five. I'm not sure how to see The Gatekeepers. I might have to drive to Los Angeles in February to see it.

I'm not going to LA JUST to see a movie... though I've done that before.

I kind of wish the deadline was tomorrow. I'm excited to tabulate!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 pm
Producer

The Grey deserves nominations for best picture, best director (Joe Carnahan), best actor (Liam Neeson), best supporting actor (Frank Grillo) and possibly for cinematography (not sure though since it's a tough and highly competitive category) and for it's screenplay.

Suraj Sharma was amazing in Life of Pi and deserves a best actor nod. It's also deserving of best picture, best director (Ang Lee), visual effects, art direction, cinematography and adapted screenplay.

Sharma isn't the only child actor to impress me. Tom Holland was incredible in The Impossible. So was Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor. In fact, that movie definitely deserves a nod in the best ensemble cast category. Visual effects and cinematography were outstanding as well.

My favorite film of 2012 still remains The Dark Knight Rises and Christopher Nolan's direction is nearly flawless.

Another movie that I have grown to love more and more after watching it again and again on Blu-Ray is Looper. It's a stunning film that deserves a lot of nominations.

I also truly love The Hobbit and it deserves lots of love.

But I'm hesitant to say anymore. I still have several films more to see. Cloud Atlas, Arbitrage, Ruby Sparks, Les Miserables, Your Sister's Sister, Hitchcock, Anna Karenina, Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Impostor, Searching for Sugar Man, Compliance, Perks of Being a Wallflower among others.

2012 has definitely been such a stellar year.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 am

ilovemovies wrote:
The Grey deserves nominations for best picture, best director (Joe Carnahan), best actor (Liam Neeson), best supporting actor (Frank Grillo) and possibly for cinematography (not sure though since it's a tough and highly competitive category) and for it's screenplay.

2012 has definitely been such a stellar year.

And because it's such a good year, the Grey--which I loved--is just on the outside in most of those categories. But Sound Editing and Sound Mixing. That's where it's the runaway favorite for me. People talk about visual effects--but it wasn't anything visual that brought the wolves to life in this movie. Just great great sound work.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 am
Director

Picture: The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Most of my top picks have been mentioned, but not this one, which I thought was solid and went places I wasn't expecting. (I'm going to have to watch it again in a couple of weeks with a new perspective). I'm also going to have Emma Watson and Ezra Miller among my acting nominees.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Pedro wrote:
As a reminder, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and This is Not a Film are eligible for Best Foreign Language Film because, well, they're in different languages. Their status as documentaries is irrelevant to me.

Interesting.

Yeah, I want to echo those that posted about Jiro. Fantastic movie, beautifully shot, scored, so on and so forth...as you fine folks have mentioned. I also love how the film showed us the father/son dynamics in Japan with Jiro and his sons.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm
Producer

Perhaps we should start hijacking another awards season tradition (and do it better than the official organizations do, to boot) and do a yearly Lifetime Achievement Award.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Perhaps we should start hijacking another awards season tradition (and do it better than the official organizations do, to boot) and do a yearly Lifetime Achievement Award.

Holy shit.

How do we even go about this? How do we determine eligibility, that is?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 am
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Ken wrote:

Holy shit.

How do we even go about this? How do we determine eligibility, that is?

This is a staggeringly interesting idea.

I feel like the guidelines would need to be very specific, and probably must contain some sort of gimmick-type element. If everything is fair game, well... where would that leave us? There'd be so many Major Major Stars we haven't covered. I mean, The Greatest Living Actor/Director wouldn't be a terrible award to hand out, but some sort of creative Lifetime Achievement award that rewards those who don't get the major ones from Hollywood could be cool and interesting. I don't know the solution but I do know that I love the concept and think this should happen in one way or another.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 am
Producer

Lifetime achievement awards are usually granted for two reasons: one, an artist in advanced age hasn't been adequately awarded for his works in the past (the apology award, in other words), and two, an artist in advanced age has made such consistently stellar contributions to the field that his entire career deserves to be recognized, not just the specific works.

If everyone can agree on that, then I would say the only remaining complications are nominating some candidates and coming up with a name for the award that treads the fine line between stupid and clever.

EDIT: Not necessarily advanced age, but usually.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 am
Cinematographer

Maybe we can do it a little like the Baseball Hall of Fame. If it's going to work, here's how I see it working.

When you PM me your votes, also PM me ten names. Anyone that's mentioned once (or twice, up for debate) will be collected into a "super ballot" that will be revealed with the nominees. When you guys PM me your final choices, also PM me up to ten people that should be enshrined in the ReelViews Hall of Fame. Those that get 75% of the vote will be enshrined. Those that aren't will have fourteen more chances, so long as they get at least 5% of the vote. (If twenty people vote, that's only one vote.) If we end up doing the Retroactive Pedros, that would be another chance for those that are on the ballot again.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Pedro wrote:
Maybe we can do it a little like the Baseball Hall of Fame. If it's going to work, here's how I see it working.

When you PM me your votes, also PM me ten names. Anyone that's mentioned once (or twice, up for debate) will be collected into a "super ballot" that will be revealed with the nominees. When you guys PM me your final choices, also PM me up to ten people that should be enshrined in the ReelViews Hall of Fame. Those that get 75% of the vote will be enshrined. Those that aren't will have fourteen more chances, so long as they get at least 5% of the vote. (If twenty people vote, that's only one vote.) If we end up doing the Retroactive Pedros, that would be another chance for those that are on the ballot again.

Perfect.

I'd say probably it should be anyone mentioned twice gets to make the ballot instead of just once, assuming that next year anyone who didn't make the ballot this year would still be eligible to make the ballot next year. (Since only those who make the ballot and then faily to receive 5% of the vote are off the ballot forever.)

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next