Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:13 am

So, How Did You Guys Discover "ReelViews"? 
Producer

Post Re: So, How Did You Guys Discover "ReelViews"?
Sean wrote:
Strange. Lately, Ebert's website has been featuring reviews written by Richard Roeper. I'm a fan of his, but I find his manner of writing very generic and predictable, not to mention somewhat superficial. His video reviews are far better.

Ebert is playing catch-up due to his injury. Roeper is probably just helping out. Previously, Ebert's editor the magnificent Jim Emerson has stepped in during health crises.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Sean wrote:
Strange. Lately, Ebert's website has been featuring reviews written by Richard Roeper. I'm a fan of his, but I find his manner of writing very generic and predictable, not to mention somewhat superficial. His video reviews are far better.

Ebert is playing catch-up due to his injury. Roeper is probably just helping out. Previously, Ebert's editor the magnificent Jim Emerson has stepped in during health crises.

Also, Roeper's Broken City review is pretty great.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 am
Gaffer

I came to ReelViews when Berardinelli was unveiling his top 100. Since then I've been a consistent reader of James and the forum. I would post periodically on the forum, but stopped a few years ago, but I have still read all of your insightful comments and reviews avidly. Recently I have been seeing many more movies and have now decided to jump back into the fray.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't even remember when or how I got here. I joined the forum a bit less than 2 years ago, but I had been reading the reviews for a good while before that.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Director

I honestly can't remember how I discovered this site. But it's been over a decade now, and I'm still here! :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 am
Producer

Threeperf35 wrote:
Sean wrote:
Can someone please explain to me how James seems to have "mellowed" down over the years?

James didn't necessarily mellow down regarding "forgiveness" in his star ratings. James very often works from the "outside in": describing former works of the directors or when it's a sequel he fills us in what happened so far, then he describes the style und finally goes to synopsis and individual key scenes, not always in that rigid order, but that's a very clear, informative and disciplined writing style in my book. Ebert on the other hand is more of an "entertainer": he works mostly the opposite: "from the inside out". He might start giving us background or overall information, then jumps to a certain scene which he discribes in detail, throws in funny remarks, and goes back to the overall synopsis, pointing out some logical flaws and his typical "rules" and "cliches" plus some (often very insightful) philosophy. This sometimes can lead to an incomplete or unevenly written review, but I'm pretty sure this is all deliberate and on purpose. And it's fun.

Now Ebert clearly has mellowed regarding his star ratings, but I think James has mellowed regarding his writing: Still very informative and comprehensive, his writing seems to have been drained from the passion I clearly see in his earlier work.

Is it just me?

I like reviews that relate a film to real-life experience because I think that most films should tell us something about ourselves and our experiences. Ebert is willing and able to do this. I like this review - http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 22017/1001

I think this his him on top form. But for the life of me I can't think why he gave four stars to Spiderman 3 .

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 am
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

I like reviews that relate a film to real-life experience because I think that most films should tell us something about ourselves and our experiences. Ebert is willing and able to do this. I like this review - http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 22017/1001

I think this his him on top form. But for the life of me I can't think why he gave four stars to Spiderman 3 .

Good taste! Sideways is one of my favourites films of all time :-)

Ebert gave 4 stars to Spiderman II, only 2 stars to Spiderman III !

Cheers

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Oh right, my bad.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Originally via the "External Reviews" links in the IMDB, but I soon started skipping the IMDB and coming straight to Reelviews.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 am