Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.) 
Producer

Post Re: Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
J.J. Abrams directing both Star Trek and Star Wars is downright weird.

Oh my God. I thought this was just a rumor.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 am
Director

darthyoshi wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Again, Star Wars is technically FANTASY (albeit with prominent sci-fi elements), so let's not give him TOO much credit. But, yes, it does seem weird that he's now helming the 2 biggest fanboy franchises.

Psh, call it what you will. This is like finding out the VW Beetle and the Porsche 911, cars popular for completely different reasons, were designed by the same person.

Oh wait.

Well, Star Wars seems basically responsible for most people now blindly lumping those 2 genres together. :|

MGamesCook wrote:
Oh my God. I thought this was just a rumor.

At this stage it seems to be 'officially unannounced,' but, yes, it appears Mr. Abrams will spend the next decade solely working on 2 (albeit major) movie franchises. :|

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 pm
Producer

Quote:
At this stage it seems to be 'officially unannounced,' but, yes, it appears Mr. Abrams will spend the next decade solely working on 2 (albeit major) movie franchises.

I'm thinking Darkness will be his final Star Trek entry at this point. Man, all these franchises really have a way of canceling themselves out in the long run.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm
Director

its official

Quote:
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — J.J. Abrams calls getting assigned to direct the seventh live-action "Star Wars" film "as surreal as it is exciting."

Last week, Lucasfilm officially announced Abrams' hiring for "Star Wars: Episode VII," which has a tentative release date of 2015. "Star Wars" creator George Lucas personally endorsed Abrams in a statement: "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

As for Abrams' plans for "Episode VII"?

"You know, obviously, it's so early," he replied. "I can just say what I want to do: I want to do the fans proud. I want to make sure the story is something that touches people. And we're just getting started. I'm very excited."

can't believe they still are aiming for a summer 2015 release.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm
Director

calvero wrote:

Clearly they're not fucking around over at Disney. :ugeek:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
calvero wrote:

Clearly they're not fucking around over at Disney. :ugeek:

They need to start getting a return on their investment. You don't spend billions and then let the property sit around. Will be a kind of balancing act between "getting it right" and selling tickets. Because as the pre-quels show, even the fans will buy loads of tickets to movies, even when those movies turn out to be something they will ultimately be disappointed in or hate.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

So I guess we won't be able to read the famous title sequence crawl now... all of the lens flares will be blinding.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm
Producer

Lens flares, jiggle cam, choppy editing... everything you need to achieve the experience of watching Star Wars while trying to escape a house fire.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm
Director

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-film-dan-mindel/?_r=true

Star Wars will be shot in 35mm film.

Interesting and potentially good looking. Also for people who know this stuff, what does that mean for lens flares? (I don't notice and/or don't mind them in Abrams' movies. Just curious.)

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 pm
Producer

Doesn't mean anything either way vis a vis lens flares, but it's nice that someone still cares about keeping 35mm alive.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:07 pm
Cinematographer

The only reason this announcement is semi-interesting is that it seems to fly in the face of George Lucas and all he did with promoting digital technology for the prequel trilogy.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Anyone else heard rumblings of possibly moving its release to December to better accomodate "The Avengers 2"? Me no likey. :evil:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:40 am
Director

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:38 am
Second Unit Director

as long as the story is more engaging than return of the jedi, it will worth viewing.
Does anyone have any thoughts on where they would like to see the film going.
As in what do you see as an actuall story line.
I cannot think of anything but i would be very much interested in seeing what you could come up with.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:35 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Just one problem: John Williams is age 80 right now. He might not make it... There's also the huge possibility that Disney execs would want to go into an entirely new direction. Agreed: Spielberg would be a fantastic choice. His name is so big, he can do what he wants and that's good - and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want anyone else than John Williams to write the little black dots and the small circles too. It's good to have someone defending quality, not just the coolness factor. It was Spielberg who recommended Williams to Lucas for the first Star Wars. Like: "trust me". Sure enough Lucas was blown away. Williams wrote the opening chord in the same key as the 20th Century Fox logo fanfare by Alfred Newman, to make the transition smooth as if it was one and the same music cue. It doesn't stop there. The Fox fanfare in "Star Wars" has been conducted by Williams and recorded during the same session. No patchwork here. Yes: John Williams is essential to Star Wars. I can't imagine anyone else composing anything even close.

He did the same thing with Superman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0ymT604pM

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm
Producer

That would be John Ottman, actually. He provided the original score for Superman Returns and worked the Williams themes in wherever appropriate.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
That would be John Ottman, actually. He provided the original score for Superman Returns and worked the Williams themes in wherever appropriate.

From what I understand Bryan Singer was adamant that he would only do superman returns if he had access to the original sound track

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 pm
Producer

His meaning was that he wanted to be able to use those themes in the new music, because he felt that they were important to the representation of Superman on film.

He basically wanted Ottman to do what Williams would have done if he'd composed for a new Superman movie: build a new score that integrated the classic themes as musical guideposts. Consider how Williams handled each of the Star Wars movies. Singer also wanted to avoid what Ken Thorne had done with the Superman sequels, which was mostly just a chopping-up and reshuffling of the original Williams score.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
His meaning was that he wanted to be able to use those themes in the new music, because he felt that they were important to the representation of Superman on film.

He basically wanted Ottman to do what Williams would have done if he'd composed for a new Superman movie: build a new score that integrated the classic themes as musical guideposts. Consider how Williams handled each of the Star Wars movies. Singer also wanted to avoid what Ken Thorne had done with the Superman sequels, which was mostly just a chopping-up and reshuffling of the original Williams score.

Hopefully Ottman will be available to do the score for the next star wars

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 am
Second Unit Director

I would to put forward the idea that no matter what they do with the next star wars, it will not meet the high expectations of the fanaticall star wars fanbase.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next