Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 381
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Vexer wrote:
What do you mean by "designed specfically not to be satisfying"? That dosen't really make any sense, though I can say I have zero interest in Skyrim.


Far Cry 3 is Skyrim with guns in a different setting. Not saying you'll like Skyrim if you don't like the fantasy element of it, but FC3 absolutely is trying to reel in the Skyrim crowd with the style of play. What I mean by unsatisfying is the games aren't designed to be played for an hour/a few quests and have the player say "wow, I feel really accomplished, so I'm moving on to something else," they're designed for the player to play for hours upon hours and then say "there's still so much to do! I can't stop!"

I'm not totally anti-video games, but I do believe that there's no redeeming value in them. They grate on me because of how much time they suck from young people. Again, there's a time for leisure, but the amount of time being spent there is insane and saddening to me.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
I find it bizarre when a person who devotes a great deal of to a hobby looks down his nose at someone for spending time on a different hobby.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
What do you mean by "designed specfically not to be satisfying"? That dosen't really make any sense, though I can say I have zero interest in Skyrim.


Far Cry 3 is Skyrim with guns in a different setting. Not saying you'll like Skyrim if you don't like the fantasy element of it, but FC3 absolutely is trying to reel in the Skyrim crowd with the style of play. What I mean by unsatisfying is the games aren't designed to be played for an hour/a few quests and have the player say "wow, I feel really accomplished, so I'm moving on to something else," they're designed for the player to play for hours upon hours and then say "there's still so much to do! I can't stop!"

I'm not totally anti-video games, but I do believe that there's no redeeming value in them. They grate on me because of how much time they suck from young people. Again, there's a time for leisure, but the amount of time being spent there is insane and saddening to me.
Yeah the fantasy setting dosen't appeal to me, so that's why I have no interest in Skyrim. I still personally wouldn't use the word unsatisfying though, because for me it's actually more satisfying when a game like FC3 takes awhile to get through and I don't blow through it in 2-3 days like I usually do. I don't plan to get 100% in everything, I usually don't have enough patience to get 100% on most games, I tried that once with Just Cause 2(a game which very few people have gotten 100% on) and I got tired of it pretty quickly, I just plan to finish the main story and side missions, i'm not trying to get all the collectables, while some are easy to find and don't take too much time to get, like the 20 memory cards) others I don't really have the patience for collecting, like the 200 relics, I usually only get those when I happen to run across them during a mission.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Shade2 wrote:
I'm not totally anti-video games, but I do believe that there's no redeeming value in them. They grate on me because of how much time they suck from young people. Again, there's a time for leisure, but the amount of time being spent there is insane and saddening to me.


Wow, no redeeming value? What an ignorant and shallow perspective! Also, it's highly presumptuous to assert that just because SOME games are 50+ hour time-sinks that they're purely designed to waste your time. It would probably take me 50 hours to read an epic book series like Harry Potter. Would that be a waste of my life with no redeeming value too? The complete series of The Wire took me over 60 hours to complete. I've watch through every episode three times, and each time was more rich and rewarding than the last. See how silly that argument sounds? If you get joy and fulfillment out of the investment you put into games/books/tv shows then who am I to judge? Of course it's important to live a healthy lifestyle and not let a hobby consume your personal life and connection to the real world, but that can be said about anything.

I work a full time job, so I don't have time to play games like Skyrim. I tend to devote myself to smaller independent titles like Braid or Journey. They are rich experiences that truly use the unique mechanics of the medium in original ways. It's like saying that films have no redeeming value due to movies like Transformers or whatever else you don't see the value in. It's ignorant and insulting and deserves no place in intelligent conversation. Have a nice day.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:47 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 381
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Ken wrote:
I find it bizarre when a person who devotes a great deal of to a hobby looks down his nose at someone for spending time on a different hobby.


I'm not looking down my nose at it. I get the appeal. I don't think it's art, I don't think it betters anyone's life in ways that matter, but those are my opinions. I have no problem with one disagreeing with them.

The only specific problem I have with video games is that if whatever number of hours are spent toward leisure, the hours spent with video games are extremely limited in terms of real social interaction, physical activity, learning, creativity, etc. I'm not saying all videogames are totally absent of those things, but many video games are, and there are better ways to get those things through other means that still fall under the umbrella of leisure time.

I'm only calling things from my vantage point in life. I'm not slamming any individual who gives time to video games. I play them. But with young people (and some older people), it's not a reasonable part of their leisure time, it's a consuming part of their entire life, in a way that other things are not. That's my only issue with it.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 381
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
I'm not totally anti-video games, but I do believe that there's no redeeming value in them. They grate on me because of how much time they suck from young people. Again, there's a time for leisure, but the amount of time being spent there is insane and saddening to me.


Wow, no redeeming value? What an ignorant and shallow perspective! Also, it's highly presumptuous to assert that just because SOME games are 50+ hour time-sinks that they're purely designed to waste your time. It would probably take me 50 hours to read an epic book series like Harry Potter. Would that be a waste of my life with no redeeming value too? The complete series of The Wire took me over 60 hours to complete. I've watch through every episode three times, and each time was more rich and rewarding than the last. See how silly that argument sounds? If you get joy and fulfillment out of the investment you put into games/books/tv shows then who am I to judge? Of course it's important to live a healthy lifestyle and not let a hobby consume your personal life and connection to the real world, but that can be said about anything.

I work a full time job, so I don't have time to play games like Skyrim. I tend to devote myself to smaller independent titles like Braid or Journey. They are rich experiences that truly use the unique mechanics of the medium in original ways. It's like saying that films have no redeeming value due to movies like Transformers or whatever else you don't see the value in. It's ignorant and insulting and deserves no place in intelligent conversation. Have a nice day.


Whoa. Had no idea the level of bile I'd get for stating an opinion. I'll try to be more clear: I don't see the ways in which video games are better than other forms of entertainment for bettering people's lives. As I said, there's a place for leisure, and there's a place for things that just make us happy. But there has to be more than that in life for me; there has to be creativity and interaction and greater understanding of people. I don't see that in video games. I could be wrong, sure. That's why we discuss things. No need to be a dick about it.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:09 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
I'd spew some bile of my own, but instead, should we ever meet, you now have a standing challenge to a duel in Street Fighter. You will very quickly find yourself frantically utilizing your creativity and bettering your competitive spirit as I defend my honor all over your jive-ass.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Shade2 wrote:
Whoa. Had no idea the level of bile I'd get for stating an opinion.

Sorry, I did come across a little bit aggressive in that response. And I don't have any problem at all with you stating your opinion, but if you're going to make such claims, you'd better be prepared for pretty passionate responses. Opinions are rarely consequence free, they tend to be followed by responses.

Shade2 wrote:
I'll try to be more clear: I don't see the ways in which video games are better than other forms of entertainment for bettering people's lives.


I never said they were better, I was saying that they're not worse.

Shade2 wrote:
As I said, there's a place for leisure, and there's a place for things that just make us happy. But there has to be more than that in life for me; there has to be creativity and interaction and greater understanding of people. I don't see that in video games. I could be wrong, sure. That's why we discuss things. No need to be a dick about it.


Well I agree that you can't let them consume your life, as a said in my previous post. But if you don't see creativity and a greater understanding of people, I'd say you're just not playing the right games. It's like searching for depth in bottom of the barrel Hollywood tripe. You should expand your horizons. And I don't get your comment on a lack on interaction, since I'm pretty sure that's the main selling point of games.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Shade2 wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
I'm not totally anti-video games, but I do believe that there's no redeeming value in them. They grate on me because of how much time they suck from young people. Again, there's a time for leisure, but the amount of time being spent there is insane and saddening to me.


Wow, no redeeming value? What an ignorant and shallow perspective! Also, it's highly presumptuous to assert that just because SOME games are 50+ hour time-sinks that they're purely designed to waste your time. It would probably take me 50 hours to read an epic book series like Harry Potter. Would that be a waste of my life with no redeeming value too? The complete series of The Wire took me over 60 hours to complete. I've watch through every episode three times, and each time was more rich and rewarding than the last. See how silly that argument sounds? If you get joy and fulfillment out of the investment you put into games/books/tv shows then who am I to judge? Of course it's important to live a healthy lifestyle and not let a hobby consume your personal life and connection to the real world, but that can be said about anything.

I work a full time job, so I don't have time to play games like Skyrim. I tend to devote myself to smaller independent titles like Braid or Journey. They are rich experiences that truly use the unique mechanics of the medium in original ways. It's like saying that films have no redeeming value due to movies like Transformers or whatever else you don't see the value in. It's ignorant and insulting and deserves no place in intelligent conversation. Have a nice day.


Whoa. Had no idea the level of bile I'd get for stating an opinion. I'll try to be more clear: I don't see the ways in which video games are better than other forms of entertainment for bettering people's lives. As I said, there's a place for leisure, and there's a place for things that just make us happy. But there has to be more than that in life for me; there has to be creativity and interaction and greater understanding of people. I don't see that in video games. I could be wrong, sure. That's why we discuss things. No need to be a dick about it.

I partially agree with you on that, I enjoy having a good conversation with someone just as much as playing my 360, but unfortunately outside of college I don't really have a lot of opportunities for social interaction. At one point I used to spend more time chatting on forums then I did playing video games, but a lot of the members on my favorite forum left(don't get me wrong, I lvoe this forum too), so I had to do something else to fill my time. I don't play games every day though, and once I finish a game it's usually a little while before I play another one. Speaking of art, i'd much rather play video games then go to an art museum, me and my fmaily visited the art institue of Chicago once, and it was one of the most boring experiences of my entire life, I love the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum though.

Games have plenty of creativity, Mass Effect has one of the best stories in ANY form of entertainment period IMO, I wish Hollywood could come up with a movie that was even halfway as compelling as those games were.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 381
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Sorry dudes, I just think we're kinda talking about different things. I'm aware that there's excellent, challenging, inventive games out there. I'm commenting more on the majority of young people today, many of whom I work with daily, many of whom have given an enormous portion of their lives to Call of Duty, Skyrim, WoW in the past year. That's the concrete wastes of time on a huge level that I'm talking about.

I totally respect that some games can be great experiences.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Shade2 wrote:
Sorry dudes, I just think we're kinda talking about different things. I'm aware that there's excellent, challenging, inventive games out there. I'm commenting more on the majority of young people today, many of whom I work with daily, many of whom have given an enormous portion of their lives to Call of Duty, Skyrim, WoW in the past year. That's the concrete wastes of time on a huge level that I'm talking about.

I totally respect that some games can be great experiences.

Well some would argue watching movies or TV is just as much of a waste of time as playing games, I don't feel that way myself, but I don't really think movies/TV really enriches your life any more then games do. Also Games can provide social interaction, racing and party games are a lot more fun when you play with other people.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 185
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Turning back to today's youths take on movies, I'm 19 and I've found that some random obscure movies hold interest better than a lot of generally considered masterpieces. I've had better luck with Suicide Club, Battle Royale, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, even Mulholland Dr. and Enter the Void than, say, 2001, Jeanne Dielman or The Wages of Fear. Strange films that revolve around questions left unanswered gather interest and actually cause analytical thought, they're good stepping stones towards fare like My Dinner with Andre, The Searchers or Russian Ark.

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 419
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
I'll put a slight spin on my response. I started really getting into films my freshmen year of college, but it was my senior year in high school when a good friend introduced me into the elite group of serious film watching. So, I'll just list the films that got me invested into film--the first 12 that I watched--they aren't really "spanned" across, but they're the ones.

Memento
American Beauty
LA Confidential
The Prestige
Michael Clayton
The Godfather
Leon: The Professional
The Constant Gardener
Apocalypse Now
City of God
Dark City
Alien

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 185
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
I still love Michael Clayton.

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:20 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2024
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Quote:
Recently a 16 year old male student got tired of feeling left out whenever I mentioned movies that he hadn't watched, and asked me to come up with a list of movies he needs to have seen to be an intelligent member of society.


The Gold Rush (Probably more accessible than "City Lights" or "Modern Times")
The Wizard of Oz (which he's undoubtedly seen)
Pinocchio
The Maltese Falcon
The Thief of Baghdad (the Sabu version, although the Fairbanks is a great film as well).
Henry V (Olivier's)
Casablanca
Singin' in the Rain
Lilies of the Field (showing how a simple story can have a lot of power)
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Diva (about as painless a way to encounter subtitles as I can think of; Kwaidan's another possibility)
Titanic (yes, Titanic)

Okay, that's 13, so it's a baker's dozen.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
First of all, great idea for a thread, and I wouldn't mind seeing this moved to the main forum because this is one which will generate a lot of great discussions.

Secondly, I had a go at this today and put a lot of thought into it. Besides the rules James mentioned in the first post, I also created a few mental rules of my own because I wanted the list to as eclectic as possible.

  • I wanted to preferably include one film from most of the well-known genres. That means action, thriller, drama, romantic comedy, comedy, animation et al. I tried my best to include one from each genre.
  • I wanted to get in as many masterpieces as possible because they're the ones that truly give a sense of the power of cinema.
  • I wanted the list to span a wide time line. The earliest film is from 1953 and the newest is from 2011, and there is at least one film from each decade since the 50s.

With that said, here's the list chronologically.

  • Wages of Fear (1953, Henri-Georges Cluzot) - This is one I am not too sure about. I saw it at at time when I was a budding cinephile, and it blew me away. For people who enjoyed Speed, watching this will be an eye-opener. At its most basic, this is a race against the odds thriller, but there's a lot of depth to it when you view it as a meditation on fate and mortality. (I haven't seen Rififi but I've heard it is an effective, if not superior, thriller in its own right. That might be worth some consideration as well.)
  • 12 Angry Men (1957, Sidney Lumet) - I completely agree with what people have already said about this one. 12 people in one room doing nothing but talking on a case should make for a boring film. Yet I've seen this countless times and been riveted each time. It has a firmer grip on me than even some of the more high-octane films on this list and that's really some achievement. I've showed it to a lot of regular film-viewers and have found it surprising that they hold it in as high a regard as we do.
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966, Sergio Leone) - I've not seen a lot of Westerns, but irrespective of that, I think this will remain the quintessential Western for me. I saw this when I was not a cinema person, and it made a big impression on me. Above everything else that it does so well, I think what stands out is that it is just a flat-out entertaining film, and it will be instantly recognizable to most people because of Ennio Morricone's immortal theme.
  • Star Wars (1977, George Lucas) - I actually saw The Phantom Menace (bleurgh!) as my first Star Wars movie and even that one grabbed me because of the sheer imagination on display, so the original should have an even more profound effect on anyone who watches it. It is one that we might have a general consensus on.
  • Aliens (1981, James Cameron) - I toyed for a long time on whether to choose Alien or this one. It came down to personal preference in the end. I think Alien is a better film in general, but Aliens just takes that concept and literally multiplies it making for a superior entertainer. Plus it has more quotable lines.
  • When Harry Met Sally (1989, Rob Reiner) - For me, this is the quintessential romantic comedy. As JamesB puts it, this is the one that provided the framework for the nauseating amount of rom-coms we're seeing these days. I loved it the first time I saw it, and that adoration has only grown with each subsequent viewing. Plus Nora Ephron's script is pure gold.
  • Groundhog Day (1993, Harold Ramis) - This one is easily one of my favorite comedies of all time. The script is an absolute wonder and it has Bill Murray at his dry and ironic best. I toyed with the idea of putting Ghostbusters on here, but I think this is a superior film in every way.
  • Pulp Fiction (1994, Quentin Tarantino) - I've showed this to nearly every non-film fan of mine and they've all enjoyed it as much as we have. This might be another unanimous choice on this list. The violence is where we might see a disagreement but screw that, no other film offers sheer outrageous entertainment like Pulp Fiction. Incidentally, Inglourious Basterds has also been well-received in my casual circles, so that's food for thought.
  • Saving Private Ryan (1998, Steven Spielberg) - I am not sure about this one. I wanted one Spielberg on this list and I haven't seen Minority Report yet. Of his remaining films, this is one I've shown to quite a few regular people and they've all been able to overlook the sheer brutality and remain riveted in their seats. I don't know how many of you guys will agree with this choice though.
  • Finding Nemo (2001, Lee Unkrich) - I think some of the older Disney works may throw off some people with their singing. I wanted to have one animated film on this list, and this is one of the best of the modern ones. You could easily replace it with Toy Story or The Incredibles also, but I just love this film, and it warms my heart each time I see it.
  • The Departed (2006, Martin Scorsese) - I wanted a Scorsese on this list as well, and the only mainstream choices are Goodfellas and this one. The former I wasn't sure about, but I've not come across any non-film person who didn't enjoy this film. It sometimes gets the short straw as being lesser Scorsese, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. It is easily a masterpiece and as good as any from his previous three decades.
  • A Separation (2011, Asghar Farhadi) - I wanted to put at least one truly foreign film on this list, and this one is still fresh in my memories because it is the most recent film as well. It is also arguably the only straight up drama up here. I've shown this to my mother, sister, and a handful of casual viewers, and they've all loved it. I've watched it multiple times and come away with something different each time. This is the kind of film that gets people interested in "serious" cinema.

There you go. I wanted to have one from the 40s as well, but I've not had unanimous praise for many films from that decade. My sister and mother did not like Casablanca and some people might be turned off by It's A Wonderful Life's pathos early one. Besides that decade is also grossly under-represented in my history as well.

Oddly enough, I am satisfied with this list. In fact, I might even send it out to some of my casual friends to see how they react to the films on it.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 12
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
JJoshay wrote:
I still love Michael Clayton.


Heard that!

As for the 12 movies, I tried to go for a wide variety of very good to great movies that were pretty accessible.

Se7en
The Shawshank Redemption
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
The Silence of the Lambs
Lord of the Rings
Saving Private Ryan
Groundhog Day
Annie Hall
The Departed
Casablanca
The Matrix

Other Considerations:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,
L.A. Confidential
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Memento (too confusing)
Boogie Nights
Pulp Fiction (more enjoyable the more movies you see, though still great regardless)
Goldfinger/Casino Royale
The Dark Knight
Home Alone
Toy Story
Wedding Crashers (If that's their kind of comedy)


Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:32 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7280
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
Good lists guys!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr