Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Adam Sandler 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Adam Sandler
Hannibal wrote:
Usually most SNL grads get a few B film showcases and then are sentenced back to TV Land. The rare few who hit stardom belong to the first generation basically.

I know that I'm going off-topic here, but this simply isn't true. Several other SNL cast members who weren't part of the orignal line-up went on to be pretty big stars--Eddie Murphy, Will Farrell, Chris Farley, and a few others.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Sean wrote:
Completely off-topic, but Stalin killed far more people.

Nitpickers. How annoying. I think you got the gist of my post, and I think it's pretty fair to say Hitler is remembered, which, and I apparently have to point this out ( :roll: ), is different from how history actually happened, as more of a face of evil in our current culture than Stalin. Also, the numbers vary depending on how different historians attribute certain things to Stalin, so it could have been less, it could have been a similar number, or it could have been far more.

But, your snarky correction is duly noted. Congrats - you know stuff!

Nitpicking is fun. Don't take it away from me.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 pm
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Anyway, I can't wait to see Sandler play Stalin..

With Will Ferrell as Hitler and Rob Schenider as Tojo.

Sand;er's good when he wants to be. As he's prven, like Eddie Murphy, he can play serious dramatic roles. Until the recent unholy likes of Jack And Jill and That's My Boiy I wouldn't consider any of his films to be truly awful (Unlike Schneider's_/

In some ways he's got what he sees as his niche and he tries to fill it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm
Producer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Until the recent unholy likes of Jack And Jill and That's My Boiy I wouldn't consider any of his films to be truly awful (Unlike Schneider's_/

I would argue that this is only because Sandler's films once met the mark for truly awful until Schneider lowered the bar.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 pm
Producer

Wasn't Sandler considered for BearJew in Basterds?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:12 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Sandler's good when he wants to be. As he's proven, like Eddie Murphy, he can play serious dramatic roles.

Nice comparison with Eddie Murphy. They both can be outstanding in the right role. Too bad they waste all that acting talent on shit like Norbit and Jack & Jill.

Pity.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Wasn't Sandler considered for BearJew in Basterds?

Not just considered - the role was written specifically for him. I think there was a scheduling conflict that didn't allow him to take the role, although I'm not 100% positive about that.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 am
Producer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
I'll wait for Gravity before I announce my final verdict on Bullock. I don't get the hatred, but she's yet to really impress me.

I'm personally more excited to see her new film with Melissa McCarthy, "The Heat" which looks really funny. Here's the red band trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5m7Ml76zoA

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 pm
Gaffer

dps wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Usually most SNL grads get a few B film showcases and then are sentenced back to TV Land. The rare few who hit stardom belong to the first generation basically.

I know that I'm going off-topic here, but this simply isn't true. Several other SNL cast members who weren't part of the orignal line-up went on to be pretty big stars--Eddie Murphy, Will Farrell, Chris Farley, and a few others.

I said "usually most" not all and Eddie M and Will F were exceptions to the rule. Farley's stuff was exactly classic Grade B showcase stuff (though I loved him the most.) Farley would have ended up like his straight man partner David S back in TV Land had he not OD'd.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 pm
Director

MunichMan wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
Sandler showed considerable acting talent in Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish and 50 First Dates, but usually doesn't bother. He needs a strong director and not to produce his own films, because when he does, it brings out his worst (with the exception of 50 First Dates).

I definitely agree with this and all of those were enjoyable films. He was also good in The Wedding Singer, very good in Reign Over Me and not too bad in the otherwise forgettable Click. Adam Sandler is good (can be very good) when he is not being "Adam Sandler" or is not in an "Adam Sandler Movie."

What do all of the above-mentioned films have in common? None of them were written by Adam Sandler.

Sandler's also pretty good in Anger Management. Jack Nicholson's character is the problem, as well as the lack of ambition. Too bad, too, because on the surface it's got the right cast, right premise and still misfires.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:18 pm