Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:22 am

A Month in Review: January 2013 
Cinematographer

Post A Month in Review: January 2013
The title says it all. This thread is devoted to rating and ranking and reviewing the best that this cinematic abyss of a month had to offer. For purposes of time, reason, and my own sanity, I have not included any movies that I saw at Sundance because a) the festival is still going on, b) I haven't seen everything here yet, and c) these aren't technically 2013 releases.

So, feel free to share your thoughts on any movies you saw this month, whether they be in theaters or on home video. I'm not a fan of star ratings, but nevertheless, I decided to use them in rating the films that I saw in January.

The month may not be over yet, but be honest: do you really think that Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters will forever change your perspective on cinema?

Here's what I saw:
Texas Chainsaw 3D - Zero stars
The Impossible - ***1/2
Gangster Squad - *
Zero Dark Thirty - ****
A Haunted House - Zero stars
Quartet - ***
Mama - **
Broken City - Half a star
The Last Stand - *
LUV - *
Parker - *
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - N/A
Movie 43 - N/A

I also excluded all of this month's obscure limited releases and independent movies that no one cares about, seeing as I saw them ages ago.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm
Auteur

Post Re: A Month in Review: January 2013
Only seen Last Stand so far and it was pretty fun, Parker also looks pretty good. Zero Dark Thirty i'm waiting to see on DVD, as 157 minutes is a bit too long for me to sit in a dark theater. Broken City looks like it will make an OK DVD/VOD viewing but not much else. Haunted House looks funny, but it's not something i'd pay to see in theaters, same with Movie 43.

Hansel And Gretel looks beyond awful, I couldn't possibly think of a worse looking film to come out this year if I tried.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Only seen Last Stand so far and it was pretty fun, Parker also looks pretty good. Zero Dark Thirty i'm waiting to see on DVD, as 157 minutes is a bit too long for me to sit in a dark theater. Broken City looks like it will make an OK DVD/VOD viewing but not much else. Haunted House looks funny, but it's not something i'd pay to see in theaters, same with Movie 43.

Hansel And Gretel looks beyond awful, I couldn't possibly think of a worse looking film to come out this year if I tried.

I can now understand why so many other forum members say that you have strange tastes. Funny, seeing as I have the most consistent, predictable, mainstream tastes you will ever find. What's stranger is the fact that all of my friends have very (how can I word this without insulting them?) "populist" tastes.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 pm
Cinematographer

It looks like I'm seeing Hansel & Gretel a little earlier this evening, followed by Movie 43 at 10:00 PM. Two movies that look absolutely dreadful, back-to-back.

If you never hear from me again after this double-feature, then know why.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:03 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:

Movie 43 appears to be considerably worse.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 pm
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Movie 43 appears to be considerably worse.

At least that one has a highly impressive cast, Witch Hunters dosen't even have that.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 pm