Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:16 pm

The Art of the Profile Picture 
Cinematographer

Post The Art of the Profile Picture
I've clearly had too much time on my hands lately, but that's what happens when you've been in Utah for about a week and have seen just about everything you haven't seen yet. So, out of sheer boredom, I decided to create this thread in order to discuss profile pictures. I don't have one, but the reason I ask is because seeing a profile picture ultimately aids me in deducing an individual's online persona. For example, if someone has Samuel L. Jackson as their profile photo, I immediately assume that they look like him and so, I read their posts in his accent subconsciously.

So, how did you decide on your profile picture? If it isn't obvious what it is, then enlighten us.

As for me, I don't have one yet, so I might as well say that I'm something of an anomaly.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 pm
Producer

Post Re: The Art of the Profile Picture
My current profile picture is Superman, because Superman is fucking awesome.

Specifically, it's a detail from the cover artwork of Superman #1. This is significant, because Superman is not only the first superhero, but also the first superhero to get his very own comic all to himself. It is also significant in that unlike other comics at the time, Superman remained the sole production of his creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, for a good many years during the character's crucial formative period. This piece is one of Shuster's finest. The characteristics of Superman's face and build are distinctive; they defy the generic musclebound string bean interpretation of subsequent artists. Shuster is, in my opinion, the definitive Superman artist, and his visual depiction is definitive of Superman.

The piece also a terrific piece of artwork, full stop. The slight tilt of the horizon gives the composition a sense of weightlessness. And Superman's expression is perfect--stern knitted brows, devil-may-care grin, a perfect encapsulation of the character's personality at the time of his inception. Unlike modern angsty superheroes, this rotten bastard has the nerve to enjoy himself. I have a wood-mounted print of this cover hanging in my kitchen.

My previous avatar was an angry screed that accused James Kunz of being, among other things, a commie-nazi.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
My current profile picture is Superman, because Superman is fucking awesome.

Replace Superman with Troy McClure.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:59 pm
Producer

Can't....resist ...

V
V
v

Quote:
My current profile picture is Troy McClure, because Troy McClure is fucking awesome.

Specifically, it's a detail from the cover artwork of Troy McClure#1. This is significant, because Troy McClure is not only the first superhero, but also the first superhero to get his very own comic all to himself. It is also significant in that unlike other comics at the time, Troy McClure remained the sole production of his creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, for a good many years during the character's crucial formative period. This piece is one of Shuster's finest. The characteristics of Troy McClure's face and build are distinctive; they defy the generic musclebound string bean interpretation of subsequent artists. Shuster is, in my opinion, the definitive Troy McClure artist, and his visual depiction is definitive of Troy McClure.

The piece also a terrific piece of artwork, full stop. The slight tilt of the horizon gives the composition a sense of weightlessness. And Troy McClure's expression is perfect--stern knitted brows, devil-may-care grin, a perfect encapsulation of the character's personality at the time of his inception. Unlike modern angsty superheroes, this rotten bastard has the nerve to enjoy himself. I have a wood-mounted print of this cover hanging in my kitchen.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 am
Producer

Mine is in someways obvious.

Bond - British cultural icon who against odds is still making films that are raking a $Billion dollars, 50 years after its inception.

Skyfall in particular because despite all 3 of Craig's Bond films being very good (yes even Quantum is a good film, as good as all the Bournes), Skyfall is one film in recent years that completely exceeded my already high expectations.

And it looks fucking great too! Without meaning to sound ignorant/xenophobic, I get the feeling that only a British Director and Photographer could have shown the British countryside in such a way. And it kind of makes a statement that there are still one or two things that we can do better than anyone else*

* even if it's only taking pictures of our own backyard.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 am
Cinematographer

I usually try to pick an image from a favorite film, but I tend to switch it up every year or so. At first, I went with Sam Rockwell from Galaxy Quest and Moon, and then I switched to John Cusack from High Fidelity. When many of the forum's profiles were erased late last year, including mine, I changed it again to the picture I have now, which is from Chris Marker's La Jetée.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Mine is taken from the cover of a Devo album. I'm a huge Devo fan.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:32 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

30 Rock cause its awesome.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:08 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Can't....resist ...

V
V
v

Quote:
My current profile picture is Troy McClure, because Troy McClure is fucking awesome.

Specifically, it's a detail from the cover artwork of Troy McClure#1. This is significant, because Troy McClure is not only the first superhero, but also the first superhero to get his very own comic all to himself. It is also significant in that unlike other comics at the time, Troy McClure remained the sole production of his creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, for a good many years during the character's crucial formative period. This piece is one of Shuster's finest. The characteristics of Troy McClure's face and build are distinctive; they defy the generic musclebound string bean interpretation of subsequent artists. Shuster is, in my opinion, the definitive Troy McClure artist, and his visual depiction is definitive of Troy McClure.

The piece also a terrific piece of artwork, full stop. The slight tilt of the horizon gives the composition a sense of weightlessness. And Troy McClure's expression is perfect--stern knitted brows, devil-may-care grin, a perfect encapsulation of the character's personality at the time of his inception. Unlike modern angsty superheroes, this rotten bastard has the nerve to enjoy himself. I have a wood-mounted print of this cover hanging in my kitchen.

I loved this. Kudos.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 pm
Critic

More and more I think Pan's Labyrinth may be my favorite film. Thanks for the call to refresh my photo though

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:06 pm
Second Unit Director

On the only other forum I've ever been active at (a movie one) I had a basketball player avatar. For no real reason. Here, although the NBA talk is solid, we seem to be genuinely film-focused in a good way. I've just never gotten around to making one here.

Then I saw this:

JamesKunz wrote:
More and more I think Pan's Labyrinth may be my favorite film. Thanks for the call to refresh my photo though

And figured I should follow the same route. So here we are.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 am
Second Unit Director

My original profile picture had a picture of my feet on a DDR dance pad (because I'm good at that). It's my go-to profile picture for message board communities or facebook profile pictures if I'm transitioning from one picture to another. This current one is a little thing I made as a joke for one of my english classes in college. I don't identify as a wild and crazy guy, but that's part of the joke.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 am
Critic

Shade2 wrote:
On the only other forum I've ever been active at (a movie one) I had a basketball player avatar. For no real reason. Here, although the NBA talk is solid, we seem to be genuinely film-focused in a good way. I've just never gotten around to making one here.

Then I saw this:

JamesKunz wrote:

And figured I should follow the same route. So here we are.

Be that Lilya-4-Ever?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:05 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Being the first forum I've ever been a part of...I knew nothing of profile pictures, signatures, etiquette...all that stuff that comes along a forum. A bunch of the members here I noticed had pics so I went to seek one out, just cuz...

My sister's was/is a photographer and she snapped this picture of my oldest son while he was staring into her lens. I loved it and so...there. The only one I've had....other than that still of El Guapo that I use at work.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm
Cinematographer

My avatar matches my login name. I love just about everything about Johnny La Rue as a character. He's a bully, a coward, a schmoozer, a misogynist, a buffoon and just about everything that is an antithesis to political correctness that has evolved in our culture. He comes from those confusing times of the late 70's and early 80's when men were turning from rugged independence to wimpy sensitivity. He said what he wanted and did what he wanted, damn the expense (until called on it). Just look at him here. Sly smile on his face in his monogrammed smoking jacket with a grit burning in one hand. A man of excesses who cares not a whit and only looks out for numero uno.

This is not me in real life, mind you (online or in "reality"), but I appreciate the sentiment and sense of time that JLR brings.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't have a photo, I have a .gif, because, frankly, I just didn't give a damn.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm
Cinematographer

I'm entirely too awesome for a profile picture. Fuck that noise.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm
Well in my case it's kind of obvious. First it was Bernard Herrmann, now it's equally awesome John Williams. It's not just that both are my favorite (film) composers. Both are also free of obvious vanity and their respective way of conducting is impeccable, always on top of the game and actually helping the orchestra (which is not as self-evident as people might think). John Williams always appears (in interviewes and during rehearsals) very calm and 100% sure about what he is saying. He never sells or justifies himself or anyone he works with. He doesn't need to. His work speaks for itself. That's awesome. Just like Herrmann, in a different general approach (Herrmann was an excellent violinist, Williams is an excellent pianist), Williams consistently provides a movie with a soul and the intangible. Imagine watching all those movies without the music. Yep, I thought so.
Nope, I don't look like either, but I would love to work in an impeccable tuxedo, not giving a rats ass about my hairdo or if the glasses look like I wear the exact same pair for the last 30 years.

Thu May 30, 2013 12:03 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Mine is taken from the cover of a Devo album. I'm a huge Devo fan.

Just had to find out more about Devo. Yep, your avatar pic is taken from the album "Something for Everybody". Full album is up on YouTube. I listened to it (parts) and I was kinda zapped back to the early 1980s. I am not a huge fan of Post Punk and New Wave, but these guys are genuine. I like the power and "muscle" in their music. I was so incredibly disappointed with the 80s (musically) because most of the stuff was the very opposite of what I am about, but I always keep an open ear and mind. But I am not going into that here. Anyway: Devo sounds and sems like genuine fun (do I sense a little David Bowie influence here?) - will look further into it ASAP.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:00 pm
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:
Well in my case it's kind of obvious. First it was Bernard Herrmann, now it's equally awesome John Williams. It's not just that both are my favorite (film) composers. Both are also free of obvious vanity and their respective way of conducting is impeccable, always on top of the game and actually helping the orchestra (which is not as self-evident as people might think). John Williams always appears (in interviewes and during rehearsals) very calm and 100% sure about what he is saying. He never sells or justifies himself or anyone he works with. He doesn't need to. His work speaks for itself. That's awesome. Just like Herrmann, in a different general approach (Herrmann was an excellent violinist, Williams is an excellent pianist), Williams consistently provides a movie with a soul and the intangible. Imagine watching all those movies without the music. Yep, I thought so.
Nope, I don't look like either, but I would love to work in an impeccable tuxedo, not giving a rats ass about my hairdo or if the glasses look like I wear the exact same pair for the last 30 years.

Heh. I never looked closely and thought it was Robert Duvall

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 pm