Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am

What is Going on This Weekend? 
Cinematographer

Post What is Going on This Weekend?
Honestly. All three major releases look like rubbish. Usually, by this point in the week, I've screened at least one title, but I haven't had the chance to see any of these new movies yet. They are look beyond dreadful, and I think that it's safe to say that this month has been fairly dreadful, minus ZDT and Quartet, which were both 2012 releases.

Well, it looks like I'll be seeing Parker later this afternoon, followed by Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (lucky me) at one of those newfangled 10:00 PM "midnight showings". I guess that I'll just check out Movie 43 tomorrow. Well, at least it'll be free.

Then again, I probably shouldn't be complaining. Sundance has been lively, with some great, some fine, and some truly dreadful films, with titles such as Before Midnight, Stoker, and Ain't Them Bodies Saints remaining at the forefront of my mind. Otherwise, it's been just another January. The festival concludes this Sunday, just in time for the Screen Actors Guild Awards.

Back on-topic though: does anyone really care about what movies come out this weekend? What's strange is that Jeremy Renner, a great actor in my opinion, is starring in Witch Hunters, which looks like something worthy of Taylor Kitsch and Milla Jovovich. Movie 43 has some A-listers, even though it looks about as funny as...something really not funny. And Parker, which sadly is my most-anticipated movie this weekend, features Jason Statham just being Jason Statham.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: What is Going on This Weekend?
Oh, and no new reviews have been posted by James yet this week. Wow.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm
Second Unit Director

January, is where films go to die..... you can't honestly expect good films to be rolling out at the beginning of the year.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 pm
Cinematographer

This is hilarious, but I actually saw Parker yesterday. It was so forgettable that I couldn't even remember seeing it a day later.

No doing well on the Tomatometer. 0%.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
This is hilarious, but I actually saw Parker yesterday. It was so forgettable that I couldn't even remember seeing it a day later.

I'm jealous that you got to see Parker early. Couldn't care less about the RT score, but there's only five reviews so far, so I don't expect the score to stay at 0 for very long.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

I'm jealous that you got to see Parker early. Couldn't care less about the RT score, but there's only five reviews so far, so I don't expect the score to stay at 0 for very long.

Don't be. It is dreadful. The only Statham movies that I've really liked were The Bank Job and Snatch, but I still like the guy, even if his films are unimpressive, to say the least. Still, when in a bad mood, I often turn to his more mediocre, less engaging fare for entertainment. Perhaps his movies are guilty pleasures of mine, but they're still rubbish.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 pm
Cinematographer

Are you a film critic? Why are you subjecting yourself to dreadful January schlock?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:39 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Don't be. It is dreadful. The only Statham movies that I've really liked were The Bank Job and Snatch, but I still like the guy, even if his films are unimpressive, to say the least. Still, when in a bad mood, I often turn to his more mediocre, less engaging fare for entertainment. Perhaps his movies are guilty pleasures of mine, but they're still rubbish.

Well I like almost everything Statham has done(yes, even Revolver) and I also like Lopez, so I see no reason why I won't like Parker as well, you telling me it's "bad" only makes me want to see it even more.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Are you a film critic? Why are you subjecting yourself to dreadful January schlock?

Indeed I am.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm
Second Unit Director

....I want to see Parker. I like the Jason Statham movie where he kicks everyone's asses and then drives really fast and/or crazy.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04 pm
Director

Sean wrote:

In some ways Statham succeeded where Vin Diesel and The Rock failed: Becoming his generation's action movie go to guy.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It’s a shame that the upcoming Parker movie will be the first adaption of the novel series to use the Parker name. It seemed like the previous Parker adaptions got a little worse each time. But even Payback felt like it had a personality; it sounds like this one is just bland.

Ah well, at least I can always look forward to more of the comic adaptions by Darwyn Cooke.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm
Second Unit Director

This weekend I'll be working on catching up on Zero Dark Thirty, Jafar Panahi's This is Not a Film, Holy Motors or whatever else spikes my immediate interest. I want to be satisfied with my nominations for The Pedro's. Jennifer Lawrence is looking pretty good so far.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am
Cinematographer

JJoshay wrote:
This is Not a Film, Holy Motors

These are the two I really want to see before I finish up my ballot for the Pedros. Unfortunately, both of them come out officially on DVD/Bluray on the 26th of February.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 am
Profile WWW