Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Who gets to fill up my Netflix queue? You do! 
Producer

Post Re: Who gets to fill up my Netflix queue? You do!
Are you on the streaming service, the DVD service, or both? Also, will you be sharing it with a friend or kid? (I'm sharing it with a lesbian friend. It makes for some interesting recommendations.)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm
Second Unit Director

If you haven't seen them already...

Coriolanus (2011)
13 Assassins (2010)
The Square (2008)
Letter Never Sent (1959)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 am
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I don't know much about Cowboy Bebop. Is it something where you have to watch the series before the movie, or does it not matter?

I'm going to check out A Separation. Wanted to see it, but never got around to it.

I've seen Drive. Fantastic film, the best film of 2011 IMHO.

Beasts of the Southern Wild is another one I'll be checking out.

I saw The Dark Knight Rises when it came out. It's a well-made movie with horrid politics and great action.

The movie takes place between episodes 22 and 23, although I would recommend watching it after completing the series. It's only 26 episodes long, but far and away one of the most compelling storylines I have ever encountered. I believe that Netflix provides its customers with DVDs that each contain six sessions. ("Sessions" is Bebop-speak for episodes.)

Just out of curiosity: what do you consider to be TDKR's horrid politics. I will admit that it comes across as extremely "corporatist" at first glance, although Nolan has stated that he was not attempting to make a political statement with the film.

Also check out The Ghost in the Shell, one of the truly great Japanese anime classics, as well as the two seasons of the television series it spawned.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Are you on the streaming service, the DVD service, or both? Also, will you be sharing it with a friend or kid? (I'm sharing it with a lesbian friend. It makes for some interesting recommendations.)

Both. I am sharing it with my wife.

JackBurns wrote:
If you haven't seen them already...

Coriolanus (2011)
13 Assassins (2010)
The Square (2008)
Letter Never Sent (1959)

These are new to me. Into the queue.

Sean wrote:

Just out of curiosity: what do you consider to be TDKR's horrid politics. I will admit that it comes across as extremely "corporatist" at first glance, although Nolan has stated that he was not attempting to make a political statement with the film.

TDKR is basically a right-wing wet dream. Everything is in metaphor, but it's pretty obvious that the film is ultimately about how the interests of the wealthy must be protected from the "rabble." I wrote a long post in a thread called The Dark Knight Rises: An Exercise In Fascism, where I lay out my objections with the film. You'll find everything I dislike about it there.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I don't know much about Cowboy Bebop. Is it something where you have to watch the series before the movie, or does it not matter?

The movie takes place between episodes 22 and 23, although I would recommend watching it after completing the series. It's only 26 episodes long, but far and away one of the most compelling storylines I have ever encountered. I believe that Netflix provides its customers with DVDs that each contain six sessions. ("Sessions" is Bebop-speak for episodes.)

Also check out The Ghost in the Shell, one of the truly great Japanese anime classics, as well as the two seasons of the television series it spawned.

I'll back up praise for Cowboy Bebop, anime or not its a huge amount of fun and has extraordinarily well written and fleshed out characters. It's damn good. Ghost in the Shell is also very good, a very intriguing presentation for a film about ideas. The sequel build on those ideas, the series doesn't.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:24 pm
Director

Then I'll have to add Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell to the queue.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Then I'll have to add Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell to the queue.

Then, there's the obvious: Akira. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Oh, and I can definitely understand your complaints concerning TDKR's politics, although it is worth noting that Nolan also cast Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy as one of the Wayne Enterprises board members. Then again, the Democrats and the Republicans are more alike now than ever, although that is an entirely separate conversation.

I consider myself a proponent of the free market, as well as a supporter of the Occupy Wall Street movement, which many allege that the film is demonizing. I'm really not sure, but I still loved the movie.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm
Second Unit Director

Documentaries:

Jiro Dreams of Sushi: An amazing film not only about the greatest sushi chef in the world, but it's really about finding love in one's work.

Indie Game: Another awesome documentary about what it takes to design and premier one's own video game.

The Two Escobars: An account that parallels Pablo Escobar the drug lord with Andres Escobar the star Columbian soccer player and how drug money influenced Columbian Soccer:

No Crossover: Talks about the racial divide in Virginia during the trial of future basketball star Allen Iverson when he was sentenced to jail in high school.

Run Ricky Run: Talks about how maybe one of the greatest running backs of all time and heisman trophy winner Ricky Williams pissed his professional career away on weed.

The Marinovich Project: A look at the star QB from USC and how he was bread at birth to play football. This dives deep and asks the question "Just because someone is great at something, does that mean one must do it or has to like it?"

Deep Water: A fascinating account of the first around the world yacht race about an inexperienced sailor who cheats and then disappears.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am
Director

I like documentary films. I'll look into these.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:03 pm
Producer

I watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi last night. It was fascinating, but I have to admit I was uncomfortable watching some of the fish-butchering scenes. It cast a pall over those parts of the movie, which is otherwise pretty uplifting.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm