Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
December 23, 2012: Episode VII 
Director

Post Re: December 23, 2012: Episode VII
Snyder debunks the rumour.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-shoots-down-report-412336?_r=true

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 pm
Cinematographer

Good. Snyder is a younger Lucas- his films would be all flash and no substance. I'm still crossing my fingers that Spielberg somehow gets involved...

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 pm
Producer

Not only is Spielberg not interested in Star Wars--he's no longer interested in action/adventure, period. Don't wait up for him.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 am
Director

Ken wrote:
Not only is Spielberg not interested in Star Wars--he's no longer interested in action/adventure, period. Don't wait up for him.

Well, I could've sworn he begged Lucas to direct one of the prequels. :| But, yeah, as he indicated in a 60 Minutes interview back in November, he's pretty much over action/adventure movies because he feels he's reached the point where he can pretty much do them in his sleep. Hopefully he'll at least still make "Indiana Jones V." Of course, on the other hand, he still seems totally incapable of digging as deep as, say, Stanley Kubrick or Paul Thomas Anderson when it comes to serious drama, at least partially because, as I've mentioned elsewhere, he all too often falls back on sentimentality.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:17 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:

Well, I could've sworn he begged Lucas to direct one of the prequels. :| But, yeah, as he indicated in a 60 Minutes interview back in November, he's pretty much over action/adventure movies because he feels he's reached the point where he can pretty much do them in his sleep. Hopefully he'll at least still make "Indiana Jones V." Of course, on the other hand, he still seems totally incapable of digging as deep as, say, Stanley Kubrick or Paul Thomas Anderson when it comes to serious drama, at least partially because, as I've mentioned elsewhere, he all too often falls back on sentimentality.

A man can still dream, guys, even if it's in vain. I'm really not all that invested in who Disney get to take over the franchise, though I do have my preferences. I just hope that they don't get someone really shallow (like Snyder) to direct those films.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
A man can still dream, guys, even if it's in vain. I'm really not all that invested in who Disney get to take over the franchise, though I do have my preferences. I just hope that they don't get someone really shallow (like Snyder) to direct those films.

Agreed. Keep the Snyders, Bays, Emmerichs, Sommerses, etc. away. :P

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 am
Producer

I agree, of course, but let's see what a smart producer can do with Snyder. He might surprise us.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I agree, of course, but let's see what a smart producer can do with Snyder. He might surprise us.

I'd rather see what a smart producer can do with someone better than Snyder. I prefer to be thrilled than surprised.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:21 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:

I'd rather see what a smart producer can do with someone better than Snyder. I prefer to be thrilled than surprised.

I'm not exactly a fan of Snyder, but IMO he isn't that bad. I thoroughly enjoyed Watchmen for example, and that coming from a big fan of the original graphic novel. The 300 was also pretty good. I see imdb ratings of 7.6 and 7.7 respectively for those two films - hardly the sort of ratings commanded by a hack.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:

I'm not exactly a fan of Snyder, but IMO he isn't that bad. I thoroughly enjoyed Watchmen for example, and that coming from a big fan of the original graphic novel. The 300 was also pretty good. I see imdb ratings of 7.6 and 7.7 respectively for those two films - hardly the sort of ratings commanded by a hack.

IMDB is about as respected for movie ratings as Paris Hilton is for her intelligence. I also had the misfortune of seeing Watchmen as a fan of the original graphic novel, and my take on it was that while Snyder captured the look, he made it as thematically shallow as 300. See Sucker Punch if you'd like a better example of how well Snyder does at injecting substance into his films.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm
Producer

Who's been holding his leash?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Who's been holding his leash?

Someone who hasn't been doing a good enough job of keeping it short enough for Snyder.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 am
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
See Sucker Punch if you'd like a better example of how well Snyder does at injecting substance into his films.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this comment - is that for or against Snyder?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... h-Part-One
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... h-Part-Two

See there are always alternative viewpoints of analyzing what's on screen. Maybe, just maybe, Snyder simply isn't as bad/shallow as you think.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm
Director

Considering no 3 movies have arguably ever been viewed under a microscope to the extent the prequels were, I can understand why directors aren't exactly lining up out the door to take on such a thankless task. The fanboys will have their lightsabers and blasters ready once again.

For the record, while Snyder may be a slight step up from Bay and Emmerich, he's still nowhere near the Spielbergs and Jacksons of the world. Hell, I'd still go with a past-their-prime Wolfgang Petersen or John McTiernan (though the latter is still in prison, I believe) over him.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:

Surely you jest? You honestly want MORE Indiana Jones after seeing Crystal Skull?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
See Sucker Punch if you'd like a better example of how well Snyder does at injecting substance into his films.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this comment - is that for or against Snyder?

See there are always alternative viewpoints of analyzing what's on screen. Maybe, just maybe, Snyder simply isn't as bad/shallow as you think.

Yeah, one person whose opinion I have little respect for is hardly enough to change my mind.

As for your last statement: you're right, maybe Snyder isn't as bad/shallow as I think, because he could in fact be much worse. In any case, I'd rather see an orangutang who suffered a head injury tackling the new SW films than him.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 pm
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Considering no 3 movies have arguably ever been viewed under a microscope to the extent the prequels were, I can understand why directors aren't exactly lining up out the door to take on such a thankless task. The fanboys will have their lightsabers and blasters ready once again.

Ah, but you see, the task will be much easier this time around because the prequels have drastically lowered expectations. ;)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Yeah, one person whose opinion I have little respect for is hardly enough to change my mind.

It's irrelevant how much respect you personally have for MovieBob. You should try to counter his ARGUMENTS for why there is more to Sucker Punch than meets the eye, as opposed to simply automatically dismissing everything he says simply because you don't "respect" him. If MovieBob is indeed "right" (in the same way 2+2=4) about his interpretation and the deeper meaning of Sucker Punch there is little doubt that there is a LOT more to Snyder than we might have first thought.

Last edited by nitrium on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Surely you jest? You honestly want MORE Indiana Jones after seeing Crystal Skull?

Only because the number 4 lacks the finality of either 3 or 5. I mean, who makes a Top 4 anything? :| And, yes, I didn't think "Crystal Skull" was THAT bad... just as I didn't think the SW prequels were, either. Movies don't change; times - and people - do. :P

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 am
Producer

One might have also been flabbergasted that anyone would have wanted another Indiana Jones after Temple of Doom.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next