Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 121  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Author Message
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
BOOM! FIREWORKS! RAZZLE DAZZLE! SHIZZLE DIZZLE!


New #2 seed in the West - The Rockets. The Spurs are now separated by less than a few games from the rest of the top 7. My words are beginning to become prophetic...


Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
BOOM! FIREWORKS! RAZZLE DAZZLE! SHIZZLE DIZZLE!


New #2 seed in the West - The Rockets. The Spurs are now separated by less than a few games from the rest of the top 7. My words are beginning to become prophetic...


Actually, they're making you look dumb. How long did that lead last? You should stop buying into the hype that takes place in this game and concentrate on the big picture. As I said, as long as the Spurs are looking good chemistry wise for the playoffs, I don't care who they play in the first round (outside of L.A obviously, for the first round at least). It's all about being read for the playoffs. I'll say it again, Pop doesn't care about the regular season that much, he concentrates on the final product of his team for the playoffs. So far it's worked out, seeing he has four rings.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Celtics beat the Spurs, baby. What a win, and Garnett seemed alright in limited action. Your NBA champions!


By the way, this loss puts the Spurs exactly half a game ahead of the Rockets for #2 in the Western conference. Awe-inspiring, I know. There are 2.5 games between San Antonio and the #7 seed. Just saying.


Wow, lol, I come on this topic again just for the hell of it and see all these YAY THIS TEAM BEAT THE SPURS posts now. Hilarious. Hey, I said I was biased to begin with since I'm a Spurs fan, but I guess someone is deciding not to play the "completely objective fan" approach anymore.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Last edited by DunkinDan89 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Well, in a perfect world, I would be a Nets fan. I still think that trio of Kenyon Kartin, Richard Jefferson, and Jason Kidd was the definitive East team of the first half of the decade. They were simply magical. Even in one of their weaker years they forced an Eastern Conference title game 7 with Detroit, the year Detroit won the championship, nonetheless. Now they're a mess, even if they have a shot at the playoffs, I don't see them going far. I always liked te Cetics, too, and I was happy to see them make a turn-around, so I root for them most this year. They are also the least gimmicky team in the playoff race right now, in my view, so I support them (I will explain this if necessary). I frankly loathe the Lakers, let's just get that one out of the way. I almost wish that Dunkin'darrell or Dunkinghanistan or whatever guy's Spurs would take them out.



Ahh! Gotcha. The bitterness is still fresh with you when the Nets got beat in the Finals in 03' to the Spurs.

It all makes sense now. Haha, ok, I was wondering where this condescending talk and lack of looking at the big picture came from, now I understand. It's alright, a lot of fans of the Lakers, Nets, Mavs, etc, hate the Spurs. I just thought you were trying to take this "I'm completely objective" approach by the way you were talking. Now the truth comes out.

By the way, how the hell are you "kind of" (I guess?) a Nets fan as well as root for the Celtics when the Celtics and Nets had a fierce rivalry going in the early-mid 00's? I remember whenever the Nets-Celtics played one another the other team's fans had "(team) sucks" T-Shirts. That was one of the more underrated rivalries, especially when Bob Ryan (a Boston writer) said "someone oughta slap Joumanna Kidd". Haha, good times.

Then again, you sound like you "were" a Nets fan back when they had a good team, now you don't like them because they're a "mess" (even though they aren't, they have a great point guard, and a bevy of young talent). Many people call people like you "bandwagoners". From what you wrote, it sounds like you liked the Nets when they were hot, now you root for the Celtics because they're good again. Hey, whatever makes you happy I guess.

One last thing: Munchkin Dan? What are we? In the fourth grade? I guess that means I have to respond with a comeback! Which is indeed challenging since evenflow is a tough name to make fun of. So I'll just go with I'm happy my avatar doesn't make me look like I'm making out with a soda can or something.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Shade wrote:
Obviously what Boston is doing is impressive, but all of this sort of talk is a bit frivolous to me, since Boston obviously can't win a ring without KG. It's certainly good to know they can play well without him (and perhaps hang in in games when he gets in foul trouble, as has become a distressing trend).

Gotta be honest: It's still a little strange to me that anyone thinks Lebron is clearly better than Kobe. Lebron is still an average shooter at best and no matter what John Hollinger or anyone else tries to tell you, he's still a fairly awful defender (although that tends to be a matter of effort rather than talent). Also, and I know others have made this point, but Lebron wastes a possesion every time he takes a three. He just doesn't have that range. He also seems a tad reluctant to go to the rim lately in close games -- failing to use his physicality, which is his greatest element (people seem to forget that he's a little bigger right now than Karl Malone ever was) -- and he's one of the five fastest players in the game!


Boston seems to be the only team right now that's going 'OOOHHHH! BUT WE WERE INJURRREED!" Granted I do that with the Spurs, but I'm a fan, you don't hear Popovich or anyone else saying, "well we lost because everybody's hurt". That's what's made me lose respect for the Celtics this year, I rooted for them against the Lakers last year in the playoffs (who wasn't? Except Paul Pierce's "knee injury" in Game 1 was probably the best acting job...ever), but they are consistently whining about being hurt. Its part of the game. I think the Celtics-Cavs would be a great series, but the way the Cavs are playing this year, I love their chances to represent the East. If the Spurs don't make it to the Finals (they have a shot), and if the Sixers don't (since I root for Philly cuz I live near there, they don't have a shot though), its go Bron and co.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
This is a great argument. I'm with Dunkin Dan on this one. The NBA regular season is meaningless once the playoffs start. Countless NBA stars and coaches have even said so. A playoff seasoned team like the Spurs doesn't need homecourt advantage to win a playoff series. They went on the road, just last year, and won a Game 7 in New Orleans. The Hornets were playing out of their minds then, and haven't come close to playing that well all year. If any team is mentally tough enough to go into L.A. and win a game or 2, it's the Spurs. I don't see how Evenflow can consider the Hornets or Rockets as serious threats to the Spurs in a playoff series. The Jazz are playing amazingly right now, but that's not going to last for another month and a half and into the playoffs. Teams just don't play that well for that long. The Jazz are really good, but right now are no better than the 3rd best team in the conference, even while on this hot streak.

Let's not forget that once the playoffs start, the NBA becomes a half court game, which hugely favors a team like the Spurs. That's why defense and a great big men are time-tested keys to championships. Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all time, and one of the best big men of all time. He's virtually unstoppable in the playoffs, and if they can get Manu and Parker both healthy, they are ridiculously tough to beat. The Lakers are the favorites, but I would never, ever count the Spurs out, especially right now when they know the regular season doesn't mean much, they've been hurt most of the year, and still sit at #2 in the West. Are they old? Yes. Are they in decline? Perhaps. Are they not legit championship contenders? No chance in hell.


Amen.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
In case you guys missed it, Agent Zero came back the other night. He was only 3-12 from the field, but he did dish out 10 assists. He finished with 15 and 10, and the Wiz lost by 2 to the Pistons. He looked good and was able to absorb contact, which is key. He got knocked down a few times and popped right back up, another encouraging sign. He's supposedly only playing home games and no back-to-backs. I the only away game he might play is against Cleveland. Anyway, Thursday night on TNT we get the Cavs at home. Watch the return of Agent Zero.


Also, watch out if we win the Blake Griffin Sweepstakes. He'll fit in perfectly with us.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:48 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
In case you guys missed it, Agent Zero came back the other night. He was only 3-12 from the field, but he did dish out 10 assists. He finished with 15 and 10, and the Wiz lost by 2 to the Pistons. He looked good and was able to absorb contact, which is key. He got knocked down a few times and popped right back up, another encouraging sign. He's supposedly only playing home games and no back-to-backs. I the only away game he might play is against Cleveland. Anyway, Thursday night on TNT we get the Cavs at home. Watch the return of Agent Zero.


Also, watch out if we win the Blake Griffin Sweepstakes. He'll fit in perfectly with us.


My respect for the Wizards this year has gone through the roof. Before this year, I didn't like them, I thought they were a team full of thugs and big talkers (Brendan Haywood, Deshawn Stevenson), but the way Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison have handled themselves through the entire year something very impressive. You don't hear them whining about a trade, even though they're both very good players, they've manned up and accepted their situation and trying to do the best they can. Griffin would be a perfect fit for them, long, athletic, and Haywood is absolute garbage in my opinion. I hope Arenas grows on me one of these days, he's a great player, but his attitude is something else (saying he was "so unselfish" for not taking an extra twenty million from the Wizards. Poor guy! 100 million is indeed cutting back!).

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Well, in a perfect world, I would be a Nets fan. I still think that trio of Kenyon Kartin, Richard Jefferson, and Jason Kidd was the definitive East team of the first half of the decade. They were simply magical. Even in one of their weaker years they forced an Eastern Conference title game 7 with Detroit, the year Detroit won the championship, nonetheless. Now they're a mess, even if they have a shot at the playoffs, I don't see them going far. I always liked te Cetics, too, and I was happy to see them make a turn-around, so I root for them most this year. They are also the least gimmicky team in the playoff race right now, in my view, so I support them (I will explain this if necessary). I frankly loathe the Lakers, let's just get that one out of the way. I almost wish that Dunkin'darrell or Dunkinghanistan or whatever guy's Spurs would take them out.



Ahh! Gotcha. The bitterness is still fresh with you when the Nets got beat in the Finals in 03' to the Spurs.

It all makes sense now. Haha, ok, I was wondering where this condescending talk and lack of looking at the big picture came from, now I understand. It's alright, a lot of fans of the Lakers, Nets, Mavs, etc, hate the Spurs. I just thought you were trying to take this "I'm completely objective" approach by the way you were talking. Now the truth comes out.

By the way, how the hell are you "kind of" (I guess?) a Nets fan as well as root for the Celtics when the Celtics and Nets had a fierce rivalry going in the early-mid 00's? I remember whenever the Nets-Celtics played one another the other team's fans had "(team) sucks" T-Shirts. That was one of the more underrated rivalries, especially when Bob Ryan (a Boston writer) said "someone oughta slap Joumanna Kidd". Haha, good times.

Then again, you sound like you "were" a Nets fan back when they had a good team, now you don't like them because they're a "mess" (even though they aren't, they have a great point guard, and a bevy of young talent). Many people call people like you "bandwagoners". From what you wrote, it sounds like you liked the Nets when they were hot, now you root for the Celtics because they're good again. Hey, whatever makes you happy I guess.

One last thing: Munchkin Dan? What are we? In the fourth grade? I guess that means I have to respond with a comeback! Which is indeed challenging since evenflow is a tough name to make fun of. So I'll just go with I'm happy my avatar doesn't make me look like I'm making out with a soda can or something.


The Nets are a mess. They are missing the playoffs for the second straight year. They were down at one point 88-55 against Milwaukee. Milwaukee. They ended up with 79 points. I'm not a 'bandwagoner', but I do find it particularly painful how much they've digressed over the last few years. If hey make the playoffs, I'll root them on, but I'm also interested in the bigger picture. I'm not a Cleveland fan, for example, but I would actively root for them over L.A., as I support LeBron winning a chamopionship (although I still think Boston is the best bet, and they deserve it). Your argument seems to be based on me disliking a certain team because of a rivalry, which is something I don't subscribe to in sports. Sorry. I like the Celtics, and regardless of your 'we're injured' comments, San Antonio this year was without Ginoboli, and the Celtics were without Kevin Garnett. I'll take being without Ginobli. The Celtics are a better team than they are, any day of the week, sans anybody. These guys can pull wins with 2/3 of thier star players out, because they have depth. Would I take Cleveland over Boston with that ratio reversed? Never. Boston neither, maybe, but it wouldn't be set in stone (maybe 6, 7 games, if they don't pull it off in 7). They compete hard, and they are the defending NBA champions. Cleveland has momentum right now, but they aren't as capable as coping with adversity as Boston is, the proof in the pudding being Cleveland couldn't beat them with a depth advantage less than a month ago.

As for the Spurs, you're right; now they have TWO teams right beneath them (read, 0.5 games) for their coveted No. 2 slot. It's tentative. I don't buy a Western playoff slot from 2-7. I just don't.


P.S. - We're making picture lobs now? That's me in my av. Where are you?


Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:19 pm
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
In case you guys missed it, Agent Zero came back the other night. He was only 3-12 from the field, but he did dish out 10 assists. He finished with 15 and 10, and the Wiz lost by 2 to the Pistons. He looked good and was able to absorb contact, which is key. He got knocked down a few times and popped right back up, another encouraging sign. He's supposedly only playing home games and no back-to-backs. I the only away game he might play is against Cleveland. Anyway, Thursday night on TNT we get the Cavs at home. Watch the return of Agent Zero.


Also, watch out if we win the Blake Griffin Sweepstakes. He'll fit in perfectly with us.


My respect for the Wizards this year has gone through the roof. Before this year, I didn't like them, I thought they were a team full of thugs and big talkers (Brendan Haywood, Deshawn Stevenson), but the way Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison have handled themselves through the entire year something very impressive. You don't hear them whining about a trade, even though they're both very good players, they've manned up and accepted their situation and trying to do the best they can. Griffin would be a perfect fit for them, long, athletic, and Haywood is absolute garbage in my opinion. I hope Arenas grows on me one of these days, he's a great player, but his attitude is something else (saying he was "so unselfish" for not taking an extra twenty million from the Wizards. Poor guy! 100 million is indeed cutting back!).



Bigger liability/spirit killer: Arenas Vs. McGrady?


I seriously can't decide.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:21 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:

The Nets are a mess. They are missing the playoffs for the second straight year. They were down at one point 88-55 against Milwaukee. Milwaukee. They ended up with 79 points. I'm not a 'bandwagoner', but I do find it particularly painful how much they've digressed over the last few years. If hey make the playoffs, I'll root them on, but I'm also interested in the bigger picture. I'm not a Cleveland fan, for example, but I would actively root for them over L.A., as I support LeBron winning a chamopionship (although I still think Boston is the best bet, and they deserve it). Your argument seems to be based on me disliking a certain team because of a rivalry, which is something I don't subscribe to in sports. Sorry. I like the Celtics, and regardless of your 'we're injured' comments, San Antonio this year was without Ginoboli, and the Celtics were without Kevin Garnett. I'll take being without Ginobli. The Celtics are a better team than they are, any day of the week, sans anybody. These guys can pull wins with 2/3 of thier star players out, because they have depth. Would I take Cleveland over Boston with that ratio reversed? Never. Boston neither, maybe, but it wouldn't be set in stone (maybe 6, 7 games, if they don't pull it off in 7). They compete hard, and they are the defending NBA champions. Cleveland has momentum right now, but they aren't as capable as coping with adversity as Boston is, the proof in the pudding being Cleveland couldn't beat them with a depth advantage less than a month ago.

As for the Spurs, you're right; now they have TWO teams right beneath them (read, 0.5 games) for their coveted No. 2 slot. It's tentative. I don't buy a Western playoff slot from 2-7. I just don't.


P.S. - We're making picture lobs now? That's me in my av. Where are you?


The Celtics beat the Spurs in San Antonio when they had everyone back including Garnett, and the Spurs still didn't have Ginobili. They only beat them by one, and that was because Parker blew 4 free throws in a row, doesn't happen often. The Spurs beat Boston IN Boston WITHOUT Ginobili WHEN the Celtics were at full strength. Your argument again makes no sense and you still come off as a bandwaggoner. You'll like the Nets if they're doing well, but they're not so its GO BOSTON!

You call the Nets a mess, yes they lost ONE game badly to the Bucks, it happens, its sports. If you were a true fan, you'd stick with them through thick and thin. They have a great young point guard (Devin Harris), a center who will be amongst the league's elite next year (Brook Lopez), and a whole slew of other young talent, not to mention one of the more underrated coaches in the league (Lawrence Frank is a very good coach). It might take a year or two, but they'll be good, and I'm guessing that's when you'll make the "I'm a Nets AND Celtics fan switch", that is until Garnett, Pierce, and Allen retire the same year and they're trash again, then your a Nets fan again :).

Are you kidding me? You say "the Celtics can pull wins out with 2/3 of their players". Uhhh, the Spurs were able to pull wins out with 1/3 of their players earlier this season (when Parker and Ginobili were out and Duncan did a great job carrying the team and making role players better), when George Hill emerged as a star to be (outplaying 1st pick Derrick Rose head-to-head). I don't think everybody would say the Celtics are better than the Spurs, I think that's what you'd like them to say, but that's not true. The Spurs have remained amongst the elite of teams (top 5 with best record) all year despite playing with "2/3" of their star players out, until now pretty much because Ginobili is healthy. Your hatred for the Spurs is quite laughable, its probably due to the Celtics were imploding before Ainge bent over Seattle (now Oklahoma City) and Minnesota backwards and got lucky, before Boston hated Ainge and wanted Doc Rivers fired. They've also become the biggest trash talking team in the league (per any player you ask), they've only won one ring this decade, the Spurs have three. You add a healthy Ginobili to the lineup, an emerging Drew Gooden (who you said initially was dumb to toss into the argument, he's been nothing but solid his time there so far), and a team hungry to prove everyone wrong (again?), the Spurs have as good a chance as anyone right now to win.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

The Nets are a mess. They are missing the playoffs for the second straight year. They were down at one point 88-55 against Milwaukee. Milwaukee. They ended up with 79 points. I'm not a 'bandwagoner', but I do find it particularly painful how much they've digressed over the last few years. If hey make the playoffs, I'll root them on, but I'm also interested in the bigger picture. I'm not a Cleveland fan, for example, but I would actively root for them over L.A., as I support LeBron winning a chamopionship (although I still think Boston is the best bet, and they deserve it). Your argument seems to be based on me disliking a certain team because of a rivalry, which is something I don't subscribe to in sports. Sorry. I like the Celtics, and regardless of your 'we're injured' comments, San Antonio this year was without Ginoboli, and the Celtics were without Kevin Garnett. I'll take being without Ginobli. The Celtics are a better team than they are, any day of the week, sans anybody. These guys can pull wins with 2/3 of thier star players out, because they have depth. Would I take Cleveland over Boston with that ratio reversed? Never. Boston neither, maybe, but it wouldn't be set in stone (maybe 6, 7 games, if they don't pull it off in 7). They compete hard, and they are the defending NBA champions. Cleveland has momentum right now, but they aren't as capable as coping with adversity as Boston is, the proof in the pudding being Cleveland couldn't beat them with a depth advantage less than a month ago.

As for the Spurs, you're right; now they have TWO teams right beneath them (read, 0.5 games) for their coveted No. 2 slot. It's tentative. I don't buy a Western playoff slot from 2-7. I just don't.


P.S. - We're making picture lobs now? That's me in my av. Where are you?


The Celtics beat the Spurs in San Antonio when they had everyone back including Garnett, and the Spurs still didn't have Ginobili. They only beat them by one, and that was because Parker blew 4 free throws in a row, doesn't happen often. The Spurs beat Boston IN Boston WITHOUT Ginobili WHEN the Celtics were at full strength. Your argument again makes no sense and you still come off as a bandwaggoner. You'll like the Nets if they're doing well, but they're not so its GO BOSTON!

You call the Nets a mess, yes they lost ONE game badly to the Bucks, it happens, its sports. If you were a true fan, you'd stick with them through thick and thin. They have a great young point guard (Devin Harris), a center who will be amongst the league's elite next year (Brook Lopez), and a whole slew of other young talent, not to mention one of the more underrated coaches in the league (Lawrence Frank is a very good coach). It might take a year or two, but they'll be good, and I'm guessing that's when you'll make the "I'm a Nets AND Celtics fan switch", that is until Garnett, Pierce, and Allen retire the same year and they're trash again, then your a Nets fan again :).

Are you kidding me? You say "the Celtics can pull wins out with 2/3 of their players". Uhhh, the Spurs were able to pull wins out with 1/3 of their players earlier this season (when Parker and Ginobili were out and Duncan did a great job carrying the team and making role players better), when George Hill emerged as a star to be (outplaying 1st pick Derrick Rose head-to-head). I don't think everybody would say the Celtics are better than the Spurs, I think that's what you'd like them to say, but that's not true. The Spurs have remained amongst the elite of teams (top 5 with best record) all year despite playing with "2/3" of their star players out, until now pretty much because Ginobili is healthy. Your hatred for the Spurs is quite laughable, its probably due to the Celtics were imploding before Ainge bent over Seattle (now Oklahoma City) and Minnesota backwards and got lucky, before Boston hated Ainge and wanted Doc Rivers fired. They've also become the biggest trash talking team in the league (per any player you ask), they've only won one ring this decade, the Spurs have three. You add a healthy Ginobili to the lineup, an emerging Drew Gooden (who you said initially was dumb to toss into the argument, he's been nothing but solid his time there so far), and a team hungry to prove everyone wrong (again?), the Spurs have as good a chance as anyone right now to win.


Name-calling? Check. Rooting for a team in particular besides your home team is, again, not entirely uncommon, impossible, or immoral. I think the Ceeltics are the genuine best team in the league when it all comes down to it. Whatever tripe you plan to throw in that direction, go ahead. But you're trying to make a moral argument; I'm not. I don't have any Celtics merchandise, go to any of thier games, etc. I just think they're the best right now. I watch sports as a spectator, not a participant, and although I have firm favorites in other sports (I will live and die a 49ers, Mariners, and Devils fan), not so with basketball. The Nets aren't going to face the Lakers or the Cavs, the Celtics are, and I'm looking forward to that and them winning, and as far as being a 'home team' is concerned, how much Brooklyn talk has there been over the last, what, forever? As for a 'true Nets fan' (which I never called myself), the term is overrated. I'll leave it to guys like you to be nostalgic. You want me to be offended/intimidated, but I could probably care less what you want to label me as. If you want to mudsling, sure, but you are essentially just putting words in my mouth and letting your imagination run wild. Little of your argument, upon doubling back, has any real merit, and it stings of desperacy.

P.S. - I'm not getting on the Nets for 'losing one game'. Try almost every single game over the last two weeks. To L.A. and Cleveland, sure, I can take a loss. To Milwaukee and Minnesota? Eech. You always brag about the Spurs and their four championships and being a contender, but I'd like to see you getting on them as a good team when they're 31-43 in a shallow conference. Being a Spurs fan is relatively easy, Dan. You're not a hero. Time will tell if it lasts when the darkness falls.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:03 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Name-calling? Check. Rooting for a team in particular besides your home team is, again, not entirely uncommon, impossible, or immoral. I think the Ceeltics are the genuine best team in the league when it all comes down to it. Whatever tripe you plan to throw in that direction, go ahead. But you're trying to make a moral argument; I'm not. I don't have any Celtics merchandise, go to any of thier games, etc. I just think they're the best right now. I watch sports as a spectator, not a participant, and although I have firm favorites in other sports (I will live and die a 49ers, Mariners, and Devils fan), not so with basketball. The Nets aren't going to face the Lakers or the Cavs, the Celtics are, and I'm looking forward to that and them winning, and as far as being a 'home team' is concerned, how much Brooklyn talk has there been over the last, what, forever? As for a 'true Nets fan' (which I never called myself), the term is overrated. I'll leave it to guys like you to be nostalgic. You want me to be offended/intimidated, but I could probably care less what you want to label me as. If you want to mudsling, sure, but you are essentially just putting words in my mouth and letting your imagination run wild. Little of your argument, upon doubling back, has any real merit, and it stings of desperacy.

P.S. - I'm not getting on the Nets for 'losing one game'. Try almost every single game over the last two weeks. To L.A. and Cleveland, sure, I can take a loss. To Milwaukee and Minnesota? Eech. You always brag about the Spurs and their four championships and being a contender, but I'd like to see you getting on them as a good team when they're 31-43 in a shallow conference. Being a Spurs fan is relatively easy, Dan. You're not a hero. Time will tell if it lasts when the darkness falls.


You did call me "Munchkin Dan and Dunkin'darrell" and the likes, lol, which I thought were hilarious, so I'm sorry if by calling you a "bandwaggoner" offends you. Stop playing the victim here. You act like all I do is name call and bully. I'm just listing facts and you can't respond so you go "ohhhh you think your such a big tough guy!". You didn't respond to the Spurs-Celtics matchup because, that's a fact, and I guess the truth hurts if you were to compare regular season stats, which again, in my opinion is stupid when your talking about the big picture, which you have yet to grasp. Again, you talk about the Nets the last two weeks, so what, they're a young team, I've been a Sixers fan (second favorite team to the Spurs) for as long as I can remember. I didn't go around saying I wasn't a fan, I supported them even through the tough times, and this year has been nothing new, seeing Brand has been a massive failure of a transaction.

I think your favorite phrase is "I never said that", even though, you technically did, but again you love to play wordplay so lets just skip that. You basically sound like your saying its dumb of me to bring the Spurs into the equation of contenders, essentially its stupid to show confidence in my team. Yet the Celtics, who you act like are SOOOO proven (Detroit won one championship too, how are they looking now?), are without a doubt going to be in the Finals (which they won't, I still like the Magic or the Cavs) this year, nothing wrong with that.

The funny thing is, everything I've said has merit, you say it doesn't because all you come back with are recent "hype" statistics that MEAN NOTHING when looking at the final product. You say my arguments are false, prove it, your now looking pathetic throwing the "stop beating up on me!" (I NEVER SAID THAT! :)) stance, because you can't come up with anything substantial to throw back at me. Which I guess isn't unrealistic considering you lack insight at what I call the big picture, so its cool.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
In case you guys missed it, Agent Zero came back the other night. He was only 3-12 from the field, but he did dish out 10 assists. He finished with 15 and 10, and the Wiz lost by 2 to the Pistons. He looked good and was able to absorb contact, which is key. He got knocked down a few times and popped right back up, another encouraging sign. He's supposedly only playing home games and no back-to-backs. I the only away game he might play is against Cleveland. Anyway, Thursday night on TNT we get the Cavs at home. Watch the return of Agent Zero.


Also, watch out if we win the Blake Griffin Sweepstakes. He'll fit in perfectly with us.


My respect for the Wizards this year has gone through the roof. Before this year, I didn't like them, I thought they were a team full of thugs and big talkers (Brendan Haywood, Deshawn Stevenson), but the way Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison have handled themselves through the entire year something very impressive. You don't hear them whining about a trade, even though they're both very good players, they've manned up and accepted their situation and trying to do the best they can. Griffin would be a perfect fit for them, long, athletic, and Haywood is absolute garbage in my opinion. I hope Arenas grows on me one of these days, he's a great player, but his attitude is something else (saying he was "so unselfish" for not taking an extra twenty million from the Wizards. Poor guy! 100 million is indeed cutting back!).



Bigger liability/spirit killer: Arenas Vs. McGrady?


I seriously can't decide.


I seriously need some justification for comparing Gil to TMac. It's not even close. TMac is one of the worst teammates of all time. He's awful, and now he's not even good. People fail to realize that the last time the Wizards Big 3 was healthy and playing together, they were on top of the Eastern Conference....remember Eddie Jordan coaching the All-Star game? Gil has hit game winners in the playoffs and been out of the first round. TMac has done neither.

I do not see how Gil is a spirit killer when his entire team talks about how inspired they are to have him back. Maybe you can paint him as a liability, but he's just coming back from injury, so it's a bit too early to tell at this point. That seems to be a bold statement to throw out and not back up.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:34 pm
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Name-calling? Check. Rooting for a team in particular besides your home team is, again, not entirely uncommon, impossible, or immoral. I think the Ceeltics are the genuine best team in the league when it all comes down to it. Whatever tripe you plan to throw in that direction, go ahead. But you're trying to make a moral argument; I'm not. I don't have any Celtics merchandise, go to any of thier games, etc. I just think they're the best right now. I watch sports as a spectator, not a participant, and although I have firm favorites in other sports (I will live and die a 49ers, Mariners, and Devils fan), not so with basketball. The Nets aren't going to face the Lakers or the Cavs, the Celtics are, and I'm looking forward to that and them winning, and as far as being a 'home team' is concerned, how much Brooklyn talk has there been over the last, what, forever? As for a 'true Nets fan' (which I never called myself), the term is overrated. I'll leave it to guys like you to be nostalgic. You want me to be offended/intimidated, but I could probably care less what you want to label me as. If you want to mudsling, sure, but you are essentially just putting words in my mouth and letting your imagination run wild. Little of your argument, upon doubling back, has any real merit, and it stings of desperacy.

P.S. - I'm not getting on the Nets for 'losing one game'. Try almost every single game over the last two weeks. To L.A. and Cleveland, sure, I can take a loss. To Milwaukee and Minnesota? Eech. You always brag about the Spurs and their four championships and being a contender, but I'd like to see you getting on them as a good team when they're 31-43 in a shallow conference. Being a Spurs fan is relatively easy, Dan. You're not a hero. Time will tell if it lasts when the darkness falls.


You did call me "Munchkin Dan and Dunkin'darrell" and the likes, lol, which I thought were hilarious, so I'm sorry if by calling you a "bandwaggoner" offends you. Stop playing the victim here. You act like all I do is name call and bully. I'm just listing facts and you can't respond so you go "ohhhh you think your such a big tough guy!". You didn't respond to the Spurs-Celtics matchup because, that's a fact, and I guess the truth hurts if you were to compare regular season stats, which again, in my opinion is stupid when your talking about the big picture, which you have yet to grasp. Again, you talk about the Nets the last two weeks, so what, they're a young team, I've been a Sixers fan (second favorite team to the Spurs) for as long as I can remember. I didn't go around saying I wasn't a fan, I supported them even through the tough times, and this year has been nothing new, seeing Brand has been a massive failure of a transaction.

I think your favorite phrase is "I never said that", even though, you technically did, but again you love to play wordplay so lets just skip that. You basically sound like your saying its dumb of me to bring the Spurs into the equation of contenders, essentially its stupid to show confidence in my team. Yet the Celtics, who you act like are SOOOO proven (Detroit won one championship too, how are they looking now?), are without a doubt going to be in the Finals (which they won't, I still like the Magic or the Cavs) this year, nothing wrong with that.

The funny thing is, everything I've said has merit, you say it doesn't because all you come back with are recent "hype" statistics that MEAN NOTHING when looking at the final product. You say my arguments are false, prove it, your now looking pathetic throwing the "stop beating up on me!" (I NEVER SAID THAT! :)) stance, because you can't come up with anything substantial to throw back at me. Which I guess isn't unrealistic considering you lack insight at what I call the big picture, so its cool.


Dan has just Dunked.....the judges are all holding up 10s.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:

I seriously need some justification for comparing Gil to TMac. It's not even close. TMac is one of the worst teammates of all time. He's awful, and now he's not even good. People fail to realize that the last time the Wizards Big 3 was healthy and playing together, they were on top of the Eastern Conference....remember Eddie Jordan coaching the All-Star game? Gil has hit game winners in the playoffs and been out of the first round. TMac has done neither.

I do not see how Gil is a spirit killer when his entire team talks about how inspired they are to have him back. Maybe you can paint him as a liability, but he's just coming back from injury, so it's a bit too early to tell at this point. That seems to be a bold statement to throw out and not back up.


Its not even close. McGrady shut himself down this season even when team doctors said he technically could've played if he wanted too, but he's becoming a Stephon Marbury type of player, he's all about getting paid and he's basically given up his championship hopes, which is sad considering Houston could be an extremely good team if he would just man up.

Arenas atleast came back this season, most players would've just went "meh screw it" the last ten games or so, but I like the fact that he at least wants to give the Wizards some positive momentum to go with for next season.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:

Dan has just Dunked.....the judges are all holding up 10s.


Haha this whole thing is funny to me. I love arguing about the NBA. Why? Well besides the fact that it evidently makes me feel like a tough guy, I've been following this game forever. Even though I think NBA refs are ruining the game, I hope it doesn't get worse (how can it). That's what we should also be talking about here, NBA referees are the absolute WORST people at their jobs. They consistently guess from the opposite side of the court, they don't call traveling. Here, check out this video of Corey Maggette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I seriously need some justification for comparing Gil to TMac. It's not even close. TMac is one of the worst teammates of all time. He's awful, and now he's not even good. People fail to realize that the last time the Wizards Big 3 was healthy and playing together, they were on top of the Eastern Conference....remember Eddie Jordan coaching the All-Star game? Gil has hit game winners in the playoffs and been out of the first round. TMac has done neither.

I do not see how Gil is a spirit killer when his entire team talks about how inspired they are to have him back. Maybe you can paint him as a liability, but he's just coming back from injury, so it's a bit too early to tell at this point. That seems to be a bold statement to throw out and not back up.


Its not even close. McGrady shut himself down this season even when team doctors said he technically could've played if he wanted too, but he's becoming a Stephon Marbury type of player, he's all about getting paid and he's basically given up his championship hopes, which is sad considering Houston could be an extremely good team if he would just man up.

Arenas atleast came back this season, most players would've just went "meh screw it" the last ten games or so, but I like the fact that he at least wants to give the Wizards some positive momentum to go with for next season.


Exactly, McGrady quit on his team....while they were really good. Gil came back to a team with 17 wins just to give the fans and team something to look forward to next year. Gil would never in a million years do what TMac did this year. I can understand people not liking Gil's attitude, or questioning his dedication to defense. He has his faults, for sure. But, when he's healthy, he's one of the best scorers in the league. He's also one of the top clutch shooters. He's a great player. For the Wizards to win, they need him. They were kind of stuck with the contract situation, and he is a good guy for signing for less than the max (it just didn't need to be used for publicity). My love for him is biased, I have no problem admitting that. He's on my team, because a superstar while here, and turned us from laughingstock to consistent playoff team. That's more than D.C. basketball has had my entire life (I'm 26). I wouldn't be a die hard Zards fan if I didn't love the guy.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:50 pm
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Dan has just Dunked.....the judges are all holding up 10s.


Haha this whole thing is funny to me. I love arguing about the NBA. Why? Well besides the fact that it evidently makes me feel like a tough guy, I've been following this game forever. Even though I think NBA refs are ruining the game, I hope it doesn't get worse (how can it). That's what we should also be talking about here, NBA referees are the absolute WORST people at their jobs. They consistently guess from the opposite side of the court, they don't call traveling. Here, check out this video of Corey Maggette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0


I'm with you. I follow hoops like nobody's business. I can talk about NBA or college ball all day long. Past, present, or future, doesnt matter to me. NBA refs? Terrible doesn't do them justice. Every game I see something so absurd my brain wants to explode. After the Donaghy scandal I always wonder how much of their incompetence stems from fixing games. I hope none, but it's too frequent and glaring for me not to constantly be left wondering. The face of disbelief is the best part of that video. All too common. As for Maggette, I'm a Maryland fan so screw that Dukie. I hate him and everything out of that P.O.S. school. Objectively, he would have been a good signing for the Spurs though. A young, athletic wing man would do wonders for them.

It's good to see you guys aren't taking it too personally. Personal insults are inevitably going to happen when giving personal opinions, but you guys have managed to keep it fairly civil while still going at it. I think it's funny, but apparently no one else does because only 3 or 4 of us contribute to this thread. I guess being a movie nerd and basketball nerd isn't too common.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:59 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Dan has just Dunked.....the judges are all holding up 10s.


Haha this whole thing is funny to me. I love arguing about the NBA. Why? Well besides the fact that it evidently makes me feel like a tough guy, I've been following this game forever. Even though I think NBA refs are ruining the game, I hope it doesn't get worse (how can it). That's what we should also be talking about here, NBA referees are the absolute WORST people at their jobs. They consistently guess from the opposite side of the court, they don't call traveling. Here, check out this video of Corey Maggette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0


I'm with you. I follow hoops like nobody's business. I can talk about NBA or college ball all day long. Past, present, or future, doesnt matter to me. NBA refs? Terrible doesn't do them justice. Every game I see something so absurd my brain wants to explode. After the Donaghy scandal I always wonder how much of their incompetence stems from fixing games. I hope none, but it's too frequent and glaring for me not to constantly be left wondering. The face of disbelief is the best part of that video. All too common. As for Maggette, I'm a Maryland fan so screw that Dukie. I hate him and everything out of that P.O.S. school. Objectively, he would have been a good signing for the Spurs though. A young, athletic wing man would do wonders for them.

It's good to see you guys aren't taking it too personally. Personal insults are inevitably going to happen when giving personal opinions, but you guys have managed to keep it fairly civil while still going at it. I think it's funny, but apparently no one else does because only 3 or 4 of us contribute to this thread. I guess being a movie nerd and basketball nerd isn't too common.


Haha I'm no internet tough guy, but I do like to argue sports. Yeah if evenflow is taking it personally, that's too bad, the worst "namecalling" I did was saying he was a bandwaggoner, but that's not on the same level as "douchebag" and "jackass" or anything. Donaghy said something interesting concerning the referees though. He said that in 2002, the series between the Lakers and Kings, Game 6, that the game was fixed. I went back and looked at the film, and he looks like he was right. They're calling fouls on Mike Bibby for hitting air, its ridiculous. The league obviously wanted the Lakers to make it a three-peat since ratings were sky-high and the Kobe-Shaq combo was apparently so much fun to watch (two headcases going at it, what could be better!?). Just watch that game film if you find it online, I think they called 28 fouls on the Kings that game, or some absurd number.

Maggette would've been great for the Spurs. But I lost all respect for him when he signed with the Warriors. Not because he jobbed our team, he made a business move, but because he said that he "wanted to win more than he wanted money". This was AFTER Baron Davis had bolted to L.A. (and what a rude move by Elton Brand basically saying "sorry bud" after they apparently had an agreement that if Baron signed with L.A., Elton would stay). He makes no sense, why would you go to a team that has PLENTY of swingmen already and only one big man who plays defense but can't shoot (Andris Biedrins).

I bet he's feeling stupid now, and I think the Spurs are alright with Roger Mason, he's been lights-out for most of this season. Damn, now that I think about it, that must suck for you since he was a Wiz, why the hell didn't they keep him? I thought I read somewhere that he averaged 17 ppg while Gil was out last year or something?

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 121  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr