Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Annoyingly bad music scores 
Post Re: Annoyingly bad music scores
Ken wrote:
There are things I like about the scores to the LOTR movies. Some of the themes are very charming. But I find that they don't develop much, and when they do develop, they do so into cliches. They're not wholly generic like so many Hans Zimmer scores, but they still achieve a generic sensibility because Shore doesn't find interesting places for his motives to go.

Damn, why do I always have to agree. That's exactly (!!!) what I felt when listening to very long passages of Howard shore's LOTR score: yep, nice texture and motif, but he seems to be stuck and running out of options. I find this rather boring (which is just my personal opinion - I don't want to convince anyone). Howard Shore somehow is always very static IMHO, the polar opposite of, say, John Williams, who is a master of motivic developement, surprise, melodic countours and brilliant use of counterpoint. BUT: no skill is worth a nickel if the (non analyzing) listener doesn't get into the right mood. So if the Howard Shore score got LOTR fans into the right mood, it is just fine.

About Hans Zimmer: he is usually a minimalist and repetitive, but he is often awesome with unique sonic textures since he comes from synthesizers (besides playing the guitar). So a traditional orchestral score with fresh ideas isn't his gig at all. I wonder why Ridley Scott seems to be so fond of him. The late Jerry Goldsmith was so much better (IMHO).

Anyway: please keep your own opinions coming. There is no sharp line between right or wrong here.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm
Second Unit Director

One of the greatest opening scenes in the James Bond franchise is marred by horrible music that was inserted during a period of bad taste -the 1970's "disco" era. I believe it was "scored" that way, as it is not a familiar tun of the day.

You know which one I'm talking about right? The ski chase in Spy Who Loved Me... The dance music behind this scene is beyond annoying and well into stomach turning, so I guess I deviated from the OT. Sorry.
It just makes me so mad I want to kick kittens.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 am
Awf Hand wrote:
One of the greatest opening scenes in the James Bond franchise is marred by horrible music that was inserted during a period of bad taste -the 1970's "disco" era. I believe it was "scored" that way, as it is not a familiar tun of the day.

You know which one I'm talking about right? The ski chase in Spy Who Loved Me... The dance music behind this scene is beyond annoying and well into stomach turning, so I guess I deviated from the OT. Sorry.
It just makes me so mad I want to kick kittens.

This post was just spot-on-topic! I felt the exaxct same when I watched the movie again some years ago. When I first watched it, I didn't feel the music to be that bad a choice, since disco music was everywhere at the time. Of course the filmmakers wanted to be "up to date" at the time and hammered-in what they believed audiences would find cool, but the dramatic score written in '70s disco music style, which can be heard in several cues BTW, just sounds laughable and annoying by now.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am
Director

There's an similarly awful musical moment at the end of Dragonslayer.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 pm
Cinematographer

Assault on Precinct 13.

Go watch it. Now.

There's only one song. It never changes. It's like being stuck at the DVD menu screen for 2 hours.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm
Director

Pretty much all of the score and most of the soundtrack selections in Manhunter (aside from Inna Gadda Davida of course) don't work. That's the movies only major flaw. But its there.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 pm
Second Unit Director

I found Shutter Island's score to be absurdly overblown to the point that it was distracting (especially when they are first arriving at the island). The worst kind of score is one where it distracts you from the scene and you just want to say "enough already!".

I'm still not entirely sure what I felt about Tarantino's use of David Bowie in Inglorious Basterds. Part of me understood and admired the choice, another part felt it was too much, with Tarantino smart-aleckly going out of his way to use an anachronistic soundtrack. It's there to draw attention to itself, and even though it thematically matches what's to come, it just took me out of the experience, leaving me as a cold observer waiting for the scene to end so that I could immerse myself in the film again.

The use of synth music at the end of Gallipoli is also dreadful.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:30 pm