Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#23) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#31)
Vexer wrote:
Thelmand & Louise and G.I. Jane were good movies IMO, for me Black Rain was a true example of a crapfest.

Thelma and Louise has its moments but I can never get past the actual reasons for their roadtrip. Those bitches would've gotten off, it was self defense!

And GI Jane would've been OK if it didn't pussy out on it's WOMAN CAN BE NAVY SEALS TOO theme halfway through.

But yeah Black Rain...that I gave up on like ten years ago, should try it again someday

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#31)
#30 12 Angry Men

At the surface this may seem boring. It's 12 guys talking...in the most boring room ever created, the jury deliberation room. Sure, one of them is Henry Fonda, another is the voice of Piglet, another is Pops from Dirty Work and another is Oscar from The Odd Couple TV show but the premise is a bit iffy for entertainment purposes. Enter Sidney Lumet, literally, this is his debut film, and his inherent awesomeness to make this a classic. It almost doubles as a study of shot composition and lighting, especially near the end when it all comes to a claustrophobic feeling of dread. Lumet is so sure of his direction that even when Henry Fonda has a couple missteps when he preaches instead of acts we barely notice. And yes, this is a damning view of the justice system and whether the boy was guilty or innocent is irrelevant and that's all well and good & needs to be said but I love this mostly for the direction and writing...sue me.

Awesome Scene 1: Juror 10's racist rant and everyone ignoring him, one-by-one
Awesome Scene 2: Juror 8 showing an exact replica of the murder weapon
Awesome Scene 3: When Juror 2 is broken down and votes non-guilty

Attachments:
MV5BODQwOTc5MDM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQxNTEzNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg
MV5BODQwOTc5MDM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQxNTEzNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg [ 19.96 KiB | Viewed 983 times ]
Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#30)
Since I'll be on vacation next week, you get a two-fer this week!

#29 Airplane!

Airplane is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing for it brought in the golden age of Saturation Comedies like the Naked Gun series but a curse for bringing all the other movies that usually end with "movie". However, there are three clear difference between those movies and this: Airplane's funny, focused and has a plot. Sure it doesn't have a strong plot but it's there instead of what happened in the last 6 months in pop-culture. This is full of opportunity for laughs that the team of ZAZ have no trouble finding. I don't want to give away too much but there is Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stacks lampooning their image of the straight-laced hero in many ways and visual word puns like when reporters says "Let's take some pictures", they literally steal some photos from the nearest available wall. As for Airplane II, it's alright but it only has real awesome line and that's apparently in the TV cut, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to be senile!" Oh, and if you can track down Zero Hour, it's Airplane! but older and I guess more serious but it's mostly older.

Awesome Moment 1: Robert Stack vs. Buddhist Monks
Awesome Moment 2: The voice of Nanny from Muppet Babies translating jive talk for a stewardess
Awesome Moment 3: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking/amphetamines/sniff

Attachments:
220px-Airplane!.jpg
220px-Airplane!.jpg [ 22.58 KiB | Viewed 963 times ]
Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:11 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#29/28)
#28 Brazil

This movie is more famous for the behind-the-scenes battle of control than for being Terry Gilliam's best movie. It's a mad juxtaposition of the dystopian future, fantasy and hundreds of miles of ducts in buildings. Even at times, the movie is on the verge of breaking down in its own madness but somehow always recovers from the brink. It also helps that everyone involved is at the top of their game from Jonathan Pryce to Robert DeNiro to Michael Palin and it cemented Terry Gilliam as one of the most visionary directors, a reputation he cemented with The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys and The Brothers Grimm. Now for the Battle of Brazil, try to find the 3-disc Criterion collection and take a look at the Love Conquers All edit. It's about 40-50 minutes shorter, a love story and happier making it into a travashamockery of the original but an important lesson in the power of editing. And yes, Gilliam won the battle.

Awesome Moment 1: The Samurai dream sequence
Awesome Moment 2: The Police bursting into a peasant's house cause a clerical error labeled him a terrorist
Awesome Moment 3: the explosion at the restaurant

Attachments:
Brazilposter.jpg
Brazilposter.jpg [ 23.32 KiB | Viewed 963 times ]
Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 am
Director

The last three selections rank among my all time favorite films. Good choices.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:55 pm
Second Unit Director

#27 Batman (1989)

Batman was the next logical choice for the next Superhero Movie franchise after Superman IV killed the original Superman franchise. At the helm for the Batman movie was Tim Burton, whose dark sensibilities was in line with Batman and you had a good feeling of how this was going to turn out. Get Jack Nicholson as The Joker and it's greatness was certain to be cemented(I didn't mention Michael Keaton for the sheer fact that before Batman, he was Mr. Mom and how did Mr. Mom is Batman sound back then). Yes, this does focus on The Joker more than Batman but somehow it feels more right in this case. The villain is always more interesting and Tim Burton somehow captures that idea and uses it to make Joker more of a threat and since it IS Jack Nicholson, he needed all the help he can get. As for Michael Keaton, he did fine and he shook off his Mr. Mom label to take on the Batman label to be best Batman at the time....that is not high praise. Val Kilmer and George Clooney had the unfair advantage to be in Joel Schumacher's reign of terror on the Batman franchise(even though I kinda like Batman Forever for it's over-the-topness).

Awesome Scene 1: "I have given a name to my pain."
Awesome Scene 2: The establishing shot of Gotham
Awesome Scene 3: The reveal of the Joker

Attachments:
220px-Batman_ver2.jpg
220px-Batman_ver2.jpg [ 24.64 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]
Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#27)
#26 Chasing Amy

I had a friend in high school whose, at the time, movie knowledge was comparable to mine. We had an argument over the merits of Chasing Amy when he said it was Kevin Smith's worst saying it wasn't funny and I said he wasn't meant to be and Kevin Smith was trying something new and he succeeded. It became an angry argument when I said Mallrats was his worst(and it is, only Jason Lee was awesome in it). At least I have the college degree instead of the alleged rampant alcoholism. Alright history lesson over, but I still will defend Chasing Amy. It is a touching love story....at least an unrequited love story keeping in Smith's theme of underachievement. Also, it does try it's hand at answering some question about lesbian sex, mainly what's done during lesbian sex. But the main point of Chasing Amy is to prove that Kevin Smith really did have a heart and he could make us care about characters in a human way instead of "I wish I was that guy" way he did in Clerks. So, all you haters do your worst I make no apologies of my love for Chasing Amy.

Awesome Moment 1: Afflecks declaration of love
Awesome Moment 2: Silent Bob's Amy story
Awesome Moment 3: Jason Lee and Joey Lauren Adams comparing sex scars

Attachments:
Chasing_Amy_film.jpg
Chasing_Amy_film.jpg [ 16.57 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]
Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#26)
#25 Aliens

You wanna know how awesome James Cameron is? Fox commissioned him to write an Alien sequel, Cameron wrote 90 pages but he had to make The Terminator. Here's the awesome part....Fox WAITED for Cameron to get done with The Terminator so he could finish the script and then direct it, those 90 pages were that awesome. Cameron also knew that trying to replicate Alien would've been disastrous so he made it into an action movie with lots of aliens and things to kill them with. The end result was that Cameron made a sequel that surpassed the original in every way. It is relentless, scary, gory and tense as Cameron will perfect his formula for awesome action movies here. Then it was followed by Alien 3 which was "Hey, let's make a generic slasher!" and Alien Resurrection which was "Hey, let's make a generic action movie!" but despite being generic they were still kinda watchable but come on, We demand better than this! One last thing, try to watch the special edition if you can, yes there's more emotional underpinning between Ripley and Newt but I like it because Bill Paxton says more things and that's always a good thing.

Awesome Moment 1: The aliens reveal themselves
Awesome Moment 2: The marines shooting the glass at medlab and Michael Biehn jumping through it in the most badass way possible
Awesome Moment 3: "Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events but we just got our asses kicked!"

Attachments:
original.jpg
original.jpg [ 286.47 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]
Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 pm
Critic

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#26)
patrick wrote:
#25 Aliens

You wanna know how awesome James Cameron is? Fox commissioned him to write an Alien sequel, Cameron wrote 90 pages but he had to make The Terminator. Here's the awesome part....Fox WAITED for Cameron to get done with The Terminator so he could finish the script and then direct it, those 90 pages were that awesome. Cameron also knew that trying to replicate Alien would've been disastrous so he made it into an action movie with lots of aliens and things to kill them with. The end result was that Cameron made a sequel that surpassed the original in every way. It is relentless, scary, gory and tense as Cameron will perfect his formula for awesome action movies here. Then it was followed by Alien 3 which was "Hey, let's make a generic slasher!" and Alien Resurrection which was "Hey, let's make a generic action movie!" but despite being generic they were still kinda watchable but come on, We demand better than this! One last thing, try to watch the special edition if you can, yes there's more emotional underpinning between Ripley and Newt but I like it because Bill Paxton says more things and that's always a good thing.

Awesome Moment 1: The aliens reveal themselves
Awesome Moment 2: The marines shooting the glass at medlab and Michael Biehn jumping through it in the most badass way possible
Awesome Moment 3: "Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events but we just got our asses kicked!"

Hell fucking yeah

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#25)
I had seen this movie with my father when I was real young. Impressionable movie to say the least. Now as an adult and father, I caught this movie on TV one night when my wife was at work. I had the three kiddies (at that time) watching the boob with me. Happen to watch it all together at the scene where Ripley goes to lay down with Newt and realizes the facehugger is on the loose. They're watching it in stone cold silence when all of a sudden it's too damn much and my oldest boy starts SCREAMING AT ME TO TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF!!!

I had to come up with some story that they were Costa Rican spiders on some show to try to cover the real story from my wife.

It didn't work.

Good pick Pats.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I first watched through the Alien movies when I was eleven, after three or so years of begging. I always did prefer Cameron's film ever so slightly to Scott's, and all the more so as its only gotten better in eight years. I side with Kunz on this one.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 am
Second Unit Director

#24 Air Force One

You know what I'm a sucker for, Die Hard on a thing movies. I already covered Die Hard on a Bus, I mean Speed here. I think Die Hard in a Stadium during Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, I mean Sudden Death is Van-Damme's best movie. Die Hard on a Train, I mean Under Siege 2 was Seagal's best until the almost-brillant Exit Wounds came out and at least Die Hard on a Boat, I mean Under Siege had Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey killing people. Now comes the best Die Hard on a thing, Die Hard on Air Force One....or to simplify matters Air Force One. There's a reason why this stands as the best Die Hard-clones and that is Harrison Ford. So what's so great about Harrison Ford this time, he's the President of the United States of America and he's the only one that can save Air Force One by his new terrorist plan, introducing his fists to their face! He makes Theodore Roosevelt look like Franklin Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson look like he wasn't a lunatic. If there was a presidential candidate that was like that with a proven terrorist on a plane body count, I would say f*** Barack my vote goes to him.

Awesome Moment 1: "Get off my plane!"
Awesome Moment 2: The terrorists taking over the plane
Awesome Moment 3: "Forgive me, I lied."

Attachments:
airforceone.jpg
airforceone.jpg [ 16.9 KiB | Viewed 738 times ]
Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 am
Critic

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#24)
You just went ahead and put Air Force One ahead of Aliens, didn't you? Yep, you did that

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#24)
#23 Batman Begins

Yeah....this is pretty much contains the most embarrassing justification I've given where I flat out admitted that it was just a place holder for The Dark Knight. I've spoiler tag the review for your protection. Unspoil at your own risk.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1997, Batman and Robin is released in theaters. There were only three survivors: George Clooney who was awesome enough to power through it unscathed, Uma Thurman who went into a coma after The Avengers only to wake up with Kill Bill and Schwarzenegger who used the open-heart surgery excuse to hide only to find a much different action world....he then became the governor of California. So needless to say, something drastic needed to be done with a new Batman movie if one was to ever exist. Something drastic did happen and we have the best Batman movie....until I see The Dark Knight, which I will see eventually! So shut up about it! For one thing, it's more grounded in reality than either the Burton or Schumacher ones. It also tells the story of Batman and for once, Batman is actually interesting by himself, not fighting much more interesting villains like the previous movies. Lastly, Christain Bale who absolutely kills it as Batman AND Bruce Wayne unlike Keaton who was a good Batman, Kilmer who was a good Wayne and Clooney who was a good neither(Schumacher's fault!). When I see The Dark Knight and if it is as good as everyone says, expect that to replace this.

PS: I have The Dark Knight...it has.

Awesome Moment 1: The Batmobile's entrance
Awesome Moment 2: Batman's final kiss off to Ducard
Awesome Moment 3: Bruce Wayne's return to Wayne Enterprises

Attachments:
batman-begins-affiche_12721_6146.jpg
batman-begins-affiche_12721_6146.jpg [ 77.49 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]
Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#22)
Hey Kunzie or Pedro...can you change the topic title to #22?

#22 Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Love the Bomb

I said Kubrick would be back, here he is and no, he won't be back cause Dr. Strangelove is Kubrick's best. This may also have the ballsiest premise on this list "Mutually Assured Nuclear Destruction is funny!".....and Kubrick actually makes it funny. Now Kubrick isn't known as a comedy-of-any-kind director, even though the first third of A Clockwork Orange had moments of great humor, so the fact that he conquered comedy just expanded his range that much more. The genius of this is almost subtle but completely brilliant. Everybody is simultaneously over-the-top and grounded. The fighter pilot is an extreme trigger-happy Texan, the Russian premier is a drunken idiot, the President is ineffectual despite him being likeable, and George C. Scott is the normal one, despite his war-lust and the fact that 15-20 million dead Americans is justifiable in a Russian Land War. It's all quite mad and yet quite funny and I will say this again, this is Stanley Kubrick's best movie.

Awesome Moment 1: President Muffley's apology to the Russian Premier
Awesome Moment 2: "He'll see everything, he'll see the big board!" and George C. Scott stumbles, falls and gets right up like nothing happened.
Awesome Moment 3: Dr. Stangelove's evil hand doing the Sieg Hiel

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8