Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:52 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012 
Cinematographer

Post The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012
I'm going to get the ball rolling on this so everyone can start chiming in. Here's a few to get us going:

Best Picture

The Grey - I'm not even totally sure it will end up on my ballot (assuming we're held to 5 nominees), but we shouldn't forget just how special this little film was. Awful marketing aside, Joe Carnahan's movie concerns itself with The Big Questions as Liam Neeson steps out of his badass action hero role and plays a flawed, sad man who finally finds a reason to live. The result is a film that's almost exclusively metaphor and allegory, and one that ends on an incredibly hopeful note.

Best Director

Steven Soderbergh for Haywire - If you've been around this forum long enough, you've seen virtually every member fall over himself to praise Soderbergh at some point. This year should be no different. He directed the living shit out of a fairly mediocre, standard script. He turns a pretty straightforward action movie into a clever play on gender roles and adds an insane amount of style to the entire thing. It's far from a great movie and has no grand ambitions, but it's very watchable and good for one reason - Soderbergh.

Best Actor

Matthew McConaughey for Killer Joe - I don't think the guy usually gets enough credit because he's either in middling crap, a romantic comedy, or naked playing the bongos. With this film he takes on a pretty challenging role and absolutely nails it. We have to fear him, find him funny and charismatic, and ultimately root for him as a sick, twisted purveyor of sick, twisted justice. It really is a fantastic performance.

Best Original Screenplay

Martin McDonagh for Seven Psychopaths - I should probably have put this one in the Best Picture slot (it will definitely be nominated by yours truly), but I'm not sure I can convince many people of this movie's greatness. I feel like I'm the only person who loved it, and that's just fine by me. It's screenplay, however, is a thing of beauty. Like Adaptation., it's a movie about the writing process. In many ways it's a meta film. Adaptation.'s strength was that, instead of reveling in all the meta-ness, it turned into a kind of sad, tragic study of a character. McDonagh's film is more comical, but no less insighful about what it means to write. It's as inspiring as it is hilarious, and brilliantly shows that in order to successfully write, you must write what you know. And even then you're still probably a psychopath. Wonderfully self-aware.

I think that's enough to get us going. Chime in!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:56 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2012
PeachyPete wrote:
We have to fear him, find him funny and charismatic, and ultimately root for him

Exactly. That's the challenge of the film and the brilliance of the performance. His skill has grown in recent years, and beyond that, he's among the most charismatic of this generation of actors. I adore the choices he's making these days. Love him, and love this choice.

For me:

Best Supporting Actor:

Michael Pena, End of Watch - A reliably good actor turns in a phenomenal (and trickier than it seems) performance. I liked Jake G in this as well, and though it's hard to consider one role without the other (and I'd be fine with Jake G getting a nod), Pena is the soul of the film to me. Not merely a love letter to the LAPD, the film is as good and honest a portrayal of adult male friendship that I've seen in a long time. Not in the sense that their relationship seems universal -- they're crude and arrogant and the type many of us wouldn't hang with -- but they are very real and believable and we do care for them by the end. Pena deserves credit here.

Best Supporting Actress:

Kelly Reilly, Flight - I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this film. It's Denzel's best performance in ages, and maybe ever, partly because of how little he relies on Denzel-stuff. He'd be #2 on my Best Actor ballot behind Joaquin. But Kelly Reilly, out of nowhere, absolutely holds her own scene-for-scene with him, and adds a level and depth and power that a lesser actress would have lacked. It's as good as any performance I saw this year and I'm hoping to see her get recognition.

That's all for now. Love this stuff though... it's great to hear the passionate discourse and hear what people loved.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Great suggestions so far! Last year I went category by category, but this year I want to highlight some films in particular that may or may not get their due attention but are certainly worthy.

Moonrise Kingdom: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Jared Gilman), Best Actress (Kara Hayward), Best Original Screenplay, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, Best Use of Music, Best Sound Mixing
~Lincoln got twelve Oscar nominations when in reality it was Wes Anderson's latest that should've gotten that kind of attention. I've written on the board about how much I love this film; the only thing I'd love more than the film is to see it get its due at the Pedros. I honestly think that the lead actors are as good as any other premiere performances from this year (certainly better than a few) and the only reason why I didn't list anyone for the supporting categories is because I didn't know who to pick. They're all great. If you haven't seen this film, it's a real delight.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi: Best Picture, Best Editing, Best Documentary, Best Use of Music
~Any film that compares sushi to fine classical music get a thumbs up from the man they call Pedro.

The Deep Blue Sea: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Rachel Weisz), Best Actor (Tom Hiddleston), Best Supporting Actor (Simon Russell Beale), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Use of Music
~If you guys are looking for movies to watch for the Pedros that might make your list, here's one that's kind of off the beaten path but not really. Terence Davies has actually been honored at the Pedros before with Of Time and the City (courtesy of friggin' Zeppelin, that handsome man) and it'd be nice to see his film honored again. Rachel Weisz's surprise Globe nomination is no surprise to me; she's been doing great work for years and does great work here. Simon Russell Beale is particularly interesting as a man who sees his marriage crumble right in front of him. The way he reacts to the situation is something to behold because of the amount of restraint shown. He provides a nice contrast to Tom Hiddleston's character, yet he's the one getting shafted.

Safety Not Guaranteed: Best Actor (Mark Duplass), Best Original Screenplay
~This one was a summer delight. Maybe I'm a fan of charming flicks, but they don't get their due nearly as often as they should. Mark Duplass's comedic turn is great, and his character's a lot more complicated than even the film gives him credit for. I loved watching him work.

Bernie: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Jack Black), Best Supporting Actress (Shirley MacLaine), Best Supporting Actor (Matthew McConaughey), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Makeup
~I think this one will get a lot of support from the board in the Best Actor category, but other categories deserve your attention, too! Shirley MacLaine, however two-dimensional she may be, is one of the most memorable characters of the year. The film's screenplay glistens with irony and Richard Linklater directs it with the kind of flair only he knows how to bring out. Who else would have made this a fake documentary?

A note on End of Watch: don't you think that's a film with two leads? I'd put Michael Pena on my ballot for Best Actor, myself. Shade's right, though, it's an excellent performance.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:59 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom: Best Cinematography

I agree with everything Pedro said, but wanted to single this one out, in particular. Anderson's and Robert Yeoman's visual prowess in terms of shot selection and camera movements is often overlooked because their films immerse you so deeply into their world. Anderson movies almost always have motifs running through them involving the camera in terms of framing and spacing. He (and Yeoman)'s an expert at manipulating the viewer's eye to see exactly what he wants them to see.

Pedro wrote:
Safety Not Guaranteed: Best Actor (Mark Duplass), Best Original Screenplay

I'll second this one, especially for the screenplay. It's a really nice, sweet, smart film. I'm not sure there's anything spectacular in its visuals, but it's excellently written. It's an immersing, interesting story that uses a good deal of contrast in terms of situations and characters, and is interested in the subverting of "types" of characters. Great stuff.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:16 pm
Cinematographer

BEST PICTURE
The Master - I really feel as if many critics forgot about this movie soon after its quiet September release, yet it is far and away one of the most masterful (:D) movies that I have ever seen. Beautiful to behold and dominated by powerful performances, The Master was my favorite film of 2012.

BEST DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master) - Shame on the Academy for never awarding PTA with an Academy Award, especially for the brilliant work he did back in 2007 with There Will Be Blood. Anderson is easily one of the greatest talents working today, and his films, though they may be few and far between, are always the year's highlight. I cannot wait to see what he does next.

BEST ACTOR
Joaquin Phoenix (The Master) - No offense to Daniel Day-Lewis, who crafted my favorite performance of the past decade in There Will Be Blood, but Joaquin Phoenix gave it his all in what is easily the most esoteric, mesmerizing, and masterful (:D) film of 2012. What a sad, sad movie about a sad, sad man.

BEST ACTRESS
Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) - This is one of the most magnificent, heartbreaking performances that I have seen in a long, long time. Amour was my third favorite film of 2012, not simply because it forewent all of the conventional elements of the romantic narrative, but also because of its humanizing performances and its analysis of the human condition. C'est magnifique! :ugeek:

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Master) - Yes, I loved The Master, and yes, Phillip Seymour Hoffman's brilliant turn as the shadowy cult leader and father figure that Joaquin Phoenix's Freddie Quell turns to in Paul Thomas Anderson's latest masterpiece is the stuff that dreams are made of. Yes, Emma Stone, he has won before. And he deserves to win again.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams (The Master) - Guilty. I hated Les Misérables, even though I thought that Anne Hathaway's brief role in that film was moving and powerful. Lincoln ranked fifth on my best-of-2012 list, and while I admired Sally Field's work in the film, I just didn't believe that it was Oscar-worthy. While Amy Adams may have been overshadowed by Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in what is arguably 2012's most polarizing film, it is still a performance that is enigmatic and even frightening at times.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master) - You get it by now. I have an altar dedicated to The Master.

BEST USE OF MUSIC
Jonny Greenwood (The Master) - If you listen to the film's opening score and hate it, I will hit you over the head with a Pedro. :D

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm
Cinematographer

I don't think you have to worry too much, Sean. The Master is likely to get plenty of love around these parts. Anything else you'd like to tout that maybe wasn't a major Oscar contender? Not that you can't throw those films out, but I think most of those movies are going to get quite a bit of consideration already.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 pm
Producer

Maybe I'm blind and/or a crackhead, but is there a full list of categories that will be on the ballot? Is it the same as last year?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm
Cinematographer

I'll come back later with a more comprehensive post, but for now I'd like to single out one film:

Perfect Sense: Best Picture, Best Actor (Ewan McGregor), Best Actress (Eva Green), Best Musical Score (Max Richter), probably some others

I have absolutely no idea why Perfect Sense was greeted with almost widespread critical indifference. I've seen it twice now, and both times I've found it one of the most emotional film experiences of the last year. It's an apocalyptic tale that somehow manages to reaffirm everything that is wonderful about humanity. For any forum posters who haven't seen it yet, and from my knowledge JamesKunz is the only other one who has, I urge you to give it a chance.

Some really nice mentions so far, particularly Matthew McConaughey in Killer Joe and Jack Black in Bernie. Both of those are a lock for my list.

Last edited by Blonde Almond on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
A note on End of Watch: don't you think that's a film with two leads? I'd put Michael Pena on my ballot for Best Actor, myself. Shade's right, though, it's an excellent performance.

I think you're correct and I did think about that. Certainly if neither of them are the lead then there's no lead. I'll leave it to you to make the call on where we should vote for either of them if we so desire.

I'm also with you guys about Safety Not Guaranteed. I love how it almost toys with you at the beginning, seeming like it's going to be too cute or clever or indie, but falls beautifully into place and remains about character all the way through. No need to apologize for this sort of "light" film... if they were easy to make we'd see them all the time.

And Pedrovsky, you're so right about Jiro Dreams of Sushi. So much depth and heart in that film.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm
Director

Is the general consensus on here that Moonrise is the best Wes film to date? I like Tenenbaums a lot, but I do think Darjeeling and Moonrise are more unique and original.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 pm
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I think you're correct and I did think about that. Certainly if neither of them are the lead then there's no lead. I'll leave it to you to make the call on where we should vote for either of them if we so desire.

You know, my mother brought up a good point that it's Jake Gyllenhaal who's toting the camera, so... augh I don't know. My inclination is that if his partner were female, she'd be campaigned for Best Actress and we wouldn't be having this discussion. This is one I'll have to think about. It's going to keep me up at night. I WANT TO DO RIGHT BY MICHAEL PENA. I love that guy.

Of the films I want to see for consideration at the Pedros, I'll probably check out Killer Joe, Magic Mike, Seven Psychopaths, and (since Blondie mentioned it) Perfect Sense. Others (Amour, Flight, etc.) I'll see because I like to watch every film that's in contention for an Oscar.

I just checked out the Oscar-nominated How to Survive a Plague (available on Netflix Instant). For what it's worth, it's got a 100% on Rotten. I'm not enthusiastic about it, but it's definitely a good documentary. If you feel like watching a film that could vie for a spot on the habitually ignored documentary category, that might be a good one. It's a film, the subject of which is the AIDS advocacy group Act Up, that makes heroes out of people who have been ignored and villains out of people who have ignored them. Oscar-nominated The Invisible War is also available on Instant; I'ma probably watch that after I submit this post.

Not-as-obvious foreign films you guys should look at: Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (d. Nuri Bilge Ceylan), The Turin Horse (d. Bela Tarr), and Alps (d. Yorgos Lanthimos). I know there are a few of you out there who haven't seen anything from the countries of Turkey, Hungary, or Greece. Although these three can't be described as easy sits, they're all unlike anything I've ever seen before. Alps is probably the most "normal" of the three, but it's by the guy who made Dogtooth, so take that for what it's worth. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia has some amazing, amazing cinematography and The Turin Horse puts a new perspective on shots that can be considered "long takes."

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 pm
Producer

The Wife, Daughter and I are going uber-shopping tomorrow in Manchester. My saving grace is that I am going to buy, then watch, Moonrise Kingdom. Review to follow

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Is the general consensus on here that Moonrise is the best Wes film to date? I like Tenenbaums a lot, but I do think Darjeeling and Moonrise are more unique and original.

I think the case may be that it's the Wes Anderson film that appeals to people who don't normally gravitate toward Wes Anderson films.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:56 pm
Cinematographer

Me when I saw zero nominations for The Dark Knight Rises: "Where is it? Where's The Dark Knight Rises? You'd never nominate a comic-book movie! Where is it? Where's The Dark Knight Rises? Where is it?"

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:19 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:

The first hour of Tenenbaums is fantastic. It falters a tiny bit from there. I do think Moonrise is his best work to date.

Pedro wrote:
It's going to keep me up at night. I WANT TO DO RIGHT BY MICHAEL PENA. I love that guy.

EXACTLY, MAN! And that's kinda my thinking... where does he have a better chance? Supporting Actor is always crowded, but people might not accept him as a lead, so...

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 pm
Critic

I will also beg people to get out there and see Perfect Sense. Beautiful film.

For your consideration, I will suggest Cloud Atlas for editing. I mean, come on, how could it not?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Just saw Jeff Who Lives at Home, another film with lead/supporting confusion. I really didn't like it, but boy it has an appropriate score. Use of music? Maybe....

I'll get back to you on the Michael Pena issue.

CLOUD ATLAS. I forgot about that one. It's playing at my local discount theater. :(

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

The first hour of Tenenbaums is fantastic. It falters a tiny bit from there. I do think Moonrise is his best work to date.

I found Moonrise Kingdom good-not-great, and still think Royal Tenenbaums is by far his best. But yes, I think general consensus here (and just about everywhere) is that Moonrise Kingdom is his best.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay - Avengers. Really a miracle of a script. Takes some shortcuts at the end (the hivemind stuff is pretty weak). But the first two acts are really amazing in bringing all the characters together in a way that makes sense for each character. And is wildly entertaining. I remember, during the first big dialogue scene on the helicarrier, thinking I could watch those scenes for like 5 hours.

Best Use of Music - Beasts of the Southern Wild. I mean, just. Yeah.

Best Supporting Actor - Pierce Gagnon, Looper. A scary--and yet really sweet--performance. Perfectly personifies the struggle at the heart of the movie.

Best Actor - Tommy Lee Jones, Hope Springs. He'll definitely make my ballot. The movie overall was surprisingly thoughtful. Jones' performance was the heart and soul of the movie.

Best Actor - Omar Sy, Intouchables. I think he'll make my ballot. Certainly though he'll be behind Daniel Day Lewis and Bradley Cooper, but I'd hate for him to get lost in the shuffle. It's a great performance. A lot of what keeps Intouchables great--and from falling into cliche--lies in that performance.

Best Ensemble Case - Lincoln. Obviously Daniel Day Lewis is the big one here, but Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn, James Spader, Lee Pace, Gulliver McGrath. Even Joseph Gordon Levitt, Jared Harris, and Michael Stuhlbarg. Pretty much all fantastic. Easily the best cast of the year, and they're all throwing heat.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm
Gaffer

I feel like I almost have to apologise for showing some love to The Hobbit.

I'm not a huge fan of the book, the trailers looked silly and reviews were mixed to mediocre. And the film is less magical and does try to follow too much of LotR's structural blueprint. But I was surprised to discover that I still liked it a great deal. It won't ever come close to the LotR trilogy but I do think that The Hobbit is the best film I've seen in 2012. Well, either that or The Dark Knight Rises. Perhaps I've gone all Hollywood but things like Moonrise Kingdom and Argo were fine and all but neither did enough to really impress me.

PeachyPete wrote:
Best Director

Steven Soderbergh for Haywire - If you've been around this forum long enough, you've seen virtually every member fall over himself to praise Soderbergh at some point. This year should be no different. He directed the living shit out of a fairly mediocre, standard script. He turns a pretty straightforward action movie into a clever play on gender roles and adds an insane amount of style to the entire thing. It's far from a great movie and has no grand ambitions, but it's very watchable and good for one reason - Soderbergh.

I have to disagree here. I'm typically a huge fan of Soderbergh elevating studio material but Haywire seemed over-directed. I like that he tried, but wish he would have tried with material that was slightly less mediocre.

PeachyPete wrote:
Best Original Screenplay

Martin McDonagh for Seven Psychopaths

How did you feel about In Bruges, Petey? I know it's very well regarded in this forum but I found it "just" good. And, frankly, I disliked the film's dialogue. Another example of someone (McDonagh) trying too hard.

Pedro wrote:
Safety Not Guaranteed: Best Actor (Mark Duplass)

This was one of many 2012 releases that underwhelmed me. I'd actually like to counter-recommend Duplass for Your Sister's Sister, a 2011 film which received a 2012 limited theatrical release. He does the same melancholy thing in both movies, but I found his performance to be superior in my suggestion.

Bones wrote:
Best Actor - Omar Sy, Intouchables. I think he'll make my ballot. Certainly though he'll be behind Daniel Day Lewis and Bradley Cooper, but I'd hate for him to get lost in the shuffle. It's a great performance. A lot of what keeps Intouchables great--and from falling into cliche--lies in that performance.

On paper The Intouchables sounds very cliched and somewhat offensive. But you know what? You're totally right. Sy's performance carries most of that film.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
I feel like I almost have to apologise for showing some love to The Hobbit.

I'm not a huge fan of the book, the trailers looked silly and reviews were mixed to mediocre. And the film is less magical and does try to follow too much of LotR's structural blueprint. But I was surprised to discover that I still liked it a great deal. It won't ever come close to the LotR trilogy but I do think that The Hobbit is the best film I've seen in 2012. Well, either that or The Dark Knight Rises. Perhaps I've gone all Hollywood but things like Moonrise Kingdom and Argo were fine and all but neither did enough to really impress me.

I do think that The Hobbit may age better than most 2012 movies. It just plain entertains. And if the second movie is also good, the two movies together will likely feel better than the two parts separately. Still not one of the very top movies of the year for me right now, but one of those I suspect could sneak up the list as time goes by.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next