Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
December 23, 2012: Episode VII 
Director

Post Re: December 23, 2012: Episode VII
Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I don't think Lucas deserves all the bashing, I enjoyed the prequels well enough, but it's for the best if the new films go in a different direction, perhaps Disney will take a page from the upcoming Star Trek sequel.

ITA. Both in terms of Lucas bashing (to get an idea of some pretty out there hysteria, I recommend The People vs. George Lucas, which is available on Netflix streming.), and in terms of hoping the new films go in a different direction like Star Trek did. The only things they should keep IMO are: the opening title sequence and scroll, even the pan down through the stars would be a welcome call back, and cameos (but cameos only) by Fisher, Ford, and/or Hamill would be great (think Nimoy's appearance in Star Trek.) I could do without another trip to Tattooine especialliy.

Don't forget R2 and 3PO; they're the 2 constants in the series. While Anthony Daniels may be getting to the point where he's unwilling to phyisically play the role, but he could at least still just provide the voice, as Frank Oz did with Yoda for the prequels. I've heard a rumor that Harrison Ford would only agree to reprise his role of Han on the condition that Han dies at some point in the trilogy. :| Plus, I'd say Carrie Fisher's going to have to get herself into some kind of shape again if she's going to make an appearance. :?

I'd say John Williams is also a must, but now that he's in his 80's and there's wonder if he'll last the entire trilogy... or if he just decides to retire.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 am
Assistant Director

Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I don't think Lucas deserves all the bashing, I enjoyed the prequels well enough, but it's for the best if the new films go in a different direction, perhaps Disney will take a page from the upcoming Star Trek sequel.

ITA. Both in terms of Lucas bashing (to get an idea of some pretty out there hysteria, I recommend The People vs. George Lucas, which is available on Netflix streming.), and in terms of hoping the new films go in a different direction like Star Trek did. The only things they should keep IMO are: the opening title sequence and scroll, even the pan down through the stars would be a welcome call back, and cameos (but cameos only) by Fisher, Ford, and/or Hamill would be great (think Nimoy's appearance in Star Trek.) I could do without another trip to Tattooine especially.

ITD. Lucas deserves all the bashing because he just royally fucked his fan base in an ever increasing lust for money - either that or he lost the plot completely (which is also possible). These two comments make me wonder if either of you even REALLY saw the prequels? Yes, they really are THAT bad.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:32 pm
Producer

The prequels are just movies and nobody forced you to watch them.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
The prequels are just movies and nobody forced you to watch them.

And don't I know it! Movies desecrated. Memories desecrated. And WITHOUT the simple decency of a disclaimer that this was what I was going to get as a fan! Lucas will get no forgiveness or reprieve from me.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:

ITA. Both in terms of Lucas bashing (to get an idea of some pretty out there hysteria, I recommend The People vs. George Lucas, which is available on Netflix streming.), and in terms of hoping the new films go in a different direction like Star Trek did. The only things they should keep IMO are: the opening title sequence and scroll, even the pan down through the stars would be a welcome call back, and cameos (but cameos only) by Fisher, Ford, and/or Hamill would be great (think Nimoy's appearance in Star Trek.) I could do without another trip to Tattooine especially.

ITD. Lucas deserves all the bashing because he just royally fucked his fan base in an ever increasing lust for money - either that or he lost the plot completely (which is also possible). These two comments make me wonder if either of you even REALLY saw the prequels? Yes, they really are THAT bad.
Jeez relax dude! :roll: I never held the original films on an ivory tower like most people did, and I didn't have super high expectations for the prequels, so they didn't "desecrate" anything ofr me, I really don't see what's so bad about them, that kind of hate for Lucas just isn't justified no matter how much you hate the films.

Last edited by Vexer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 am
Director

Just for the record, in my view...

The Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope = Revenge of the Sith > Phantom Menace > Return of the Jedi > Attack of the Clones

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:46 am
Director

nitrium wrote:

Again, there's nothing fundamentally wrong plot-wise with the PT. You may indeed take issue with its execution, but that's a different matter.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:

FTR I never said they weren't bad--Attack of the Clones in particular was mediocre especially in the dialogue scenes--but I don't get why that means Lucas is the devil or a rapist of one's childhood or the ultimate king of avarice, etc. I've seen far worse movies that made good box office so I don't understand that reaction.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 am
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Don't forget R2 and 3PO; they're the 2 constants in the series. While Anthony Daniels may be getting to the point where he's unwilling to phyisically play the role, but he could at least still just provide the voice, as Frank Oz did with Yoda for the prequels. I've heard a rumor that Harrison Ford would only agree to reprise his role of Han on the condition that Han dies at some point in the trilogy. :| Plus, I'd say Carrie Fisher's going to have to get herself into some kind of shape again if she's going to make an appearance. :?

I'd say John Williams is also a must, but now that he's in his 80's and there's wonder if he'll last the entire trilogy... or if he just decides to retire.

I did forget R2D2 and C3PO, stupid me, of course they're essential. Considering how old Fisher, Ford, and Hamill are, I envision them more in parent/advisor roles than action stars. Leia could be a master telekinetic or something for instance. Yoda never fought in The Empire Strikes Back after all. Honestly I kinda dig the idea of Han dying (though Luke was my first choice as victim, but maybe the old Jedi Knight dying thing is played out). As for Williams he might have written enough material that they could re-use it and have some other composer do variations on his themes. I guess that depends on whether or not Lucasfilm owns the rights to the music, and honestly, if they don't then that's potentially a problem for Disney. We'll find out before too long...

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 am
Producer

Guh. I don't even want to think about new composers cannibalizing Williams' unused material or the scores from the previous movies. Terrible memories of the 1980s Superman sequels.

In the massively unfortunate event that they go with someone other than Williams, I should hope that they would do what John Ottman did for Superman Returns: invoke the original motives for a small handful of key moments and compose all-new material for the rest. That's basically what Williams himself did with the prequels.

As for ownership rights to the music, I'm sure Disney got those with their lock, stock, and barrel purchase of Lucasfilm.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:58 am
Site Admin

Ken wrote:
In the massively unfortunate event that they go with someone other than Williams, I should hope that they would do what John Ottman did for Superman Returns: invoke the original motives for a small handful of key moments and compose all-new material for the rest. That's basically what Williams himself did with the prequels.

Are we sure Williams won't do the score? I know he's semi-retired now and only works for Spielberg and Lucas but, given his longstanding relationship with STAR WARS and the fact that Lucas is still involved (albeit as a "consultant"), isn't it possible that he might be willing to compose the score for Episode VII. Has someone made a definitive statement to this fact or is it all supposition?

At any rate, if he's not involved, it will probably be what Ken suggests. They'll use the opening theme in its full glory and insert a few bars here and there. Many of the Bond and Star Trek movies have excelled at this sort of thing.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Gwaihir wrote:
I did forget R2D2 and C3PO, stupid me, of course they're essential. Considering how old Fisher, Ford, and Hamill are, I envision them more in parent/advisor roles than action stars. Leia could be a master telekinetic or something for instance. Yoda never fought in The Empire Strikes Back after all. Honestly I kinda dig the idea of Han dying (though Luke was my first choice as victim, but maybe the old Jedi Knight dying thing is played out). As for Williams he might have written enough material that they could re-use it and have some other composer do variations on his themes. I guess that depends on whether or not Lucasfilm owns the rights to the music, and honestly, if they don't then that's potentially a problem for Disney. We'll find out before too long...

She doesn't have to get back to her prime form, obviously, but she's GOT to look better than this:

:?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 am
Producer

James Berardinelli wrote:
Are we sure Williams won't do the score? I know he's semi-retired now and only works for Spielberg and Lucas but, given his longstanding relationship with STAR WARS and the fact that Lucas is still involved (albeit as a "consultant"), isn't it possible that he might be willing to compose the score for Episode VII. Has someone made a definitive statement to this fact or is it all supposition?

At any rate, if he's not involved, it will probably be what Ken suggests. They'll use the opening theme in its full glory and insert a few bars here and there. Many of the Bond and Star Trek movies have excelled at this sort of thing.

It's speculation on my part, fueled by something Threeperf said in another thread. Even if Williams would like to do new Star Wars movies, his advancing age is going to catch up with him sooner or later. It's not something I like to think about, but there will be Star Wars movies with someone else writing the scores. It's just a question of when.

H.I. McDonough wrote:
She doesn't have to get back to her prime form, obviously, but she's GOT to look better than this:

:?

James Doohan still played Montgomery Scott after aging and gaining weight, and Star Trek was much richer for his continued presence.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
The Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope = Revenge of the Sith > Phantom Menace > Return of the Jedi > Attack of the Clones

My view: Empire Strikes Back >>> A New Hope > Return of the Jedi >> Revenge of the Sith >> Attack of the Clones >> Phantom Menace.
Yeah, it's true: I really only genuinely like Empire.

While the wounds inflicted by Lucas with the prequels are fully healed, the scar tissue is sensitive and still flares up from time to time ;).

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 am
Director

Ken wrote:
James Doohan still played Montgomery Scott after aging and gaining weight, and Star Trek was much richer for his continued presence.

Well, Shatner was as well. And, as much as I hate to say it, there's a definite double standard between men and women in this category. Still, I can't imagine Leia letting herself go as much as Carrie Fisher has... just as I can't imagine Egon Spengler letting himself go as much as Harold Ramis has, which is part of why I hope "Ghostbusters 3" never becomes a reality. :|

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:

Well, Shatner was as well. And, as much as I hate to say it, there's a definite double standard between men and women in this category. Still, I can't imagine Leia letting herself go as much as Carrie Fisher has... just as I can't imagine Egon Spengler letting himself go as much as Harold Ramis has, which is part of why I hope "Ghostbusters 3" never becomes a reality. :|

Ghostbusters 3 hasn't entered production and looks highly unlikely, as theres now talk of a possible reboot of the series, which might be a better idea, since that way Murray's absense wouldn't be an issue.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm
Site Admin

Ken wrote:
Even if Williams would like to do new Star Wars movies, his advancing age is going to catch up with him sooner or later. It's not something I like to think about, but there will be Star Wars movies with someone else writing the scores. It's just a question of when.

At 78, he's a spring chicken. :)

Most composers tend to keep working until they die. Like any form of art, it's in the blood. That was true of Goldsmith and Barry (although both died younger than 78). Also true of Ennio Morricone who, at 84, is still composing.

It's not out of the question that we could see Williams collaborating with someone younger - grooming them, as it were, to take over.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
While nothing can top last year’s mega-huge reveal that Disney was buying LucasFilm with an eye toward making a brand-new trilogy, today’s announcement that Zack Snyder will direct a standalone Star Wars film separate from that new trilogy is still pretty massive.

Vulture broke the news this afternoon, stating that Snyder – who took himself out of the running for directing the newly-announced Episode VII – will instead develop a new Star Wars project for the company. The new feature will be inspired by Akira Kurosawa’s seminal Seven Samurai, and will apparently run parallel to events in the new trilogy.

Vulture’s source isn’t sure where the new film will fall exactly in the series chronology, but they believe it will be separate from the numbered entries, and that it will take place at some point after Return of the Jedi.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/zack-s ... affid=news

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:16 pm
Producer

Zack Snyder has a lot of my childhood in his hands.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:54 pm
Director

So is this the first news that said there will be a stand-alone Star Wars film apart from the announced three? Really surprised me.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next