Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:35 am

Rewinding 2012 - The Top 10 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Rewinding 2012 - The Top 10
Since we're getting all nitpicky here:

oakenshield32 wrote:
The big spoiler is the real hero of the story is Ambassador Ken Taylor and Canadian Foreign Affairs in Ottawa. Tony Mendez did nothing and his plan was scuppered as too elaborate by Canadian officials who got people out using their own resources. You should not be taken in by a movie or a trailer.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... d-straight

I don't know where in that article that it said that "Tony Mendez did nothing". And to say "his plan got scuppered" implies that the Argo ruse wasn't used, when it was. While the filmmakers are indeed guilty of downplaying the role of the Canadians in the historical events, you seem to have swung the other way and negated the efforts of the CIA entirely, which also goes against the historical record.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am
Critic

Johnny Larue wrote:
Since we're getting all nitpicky here:

oakenshield32 wrote:
The big spoiler is the real hero of the story is Ambassador Ken Taylor and Canadian Foreign Affairs in Ottawa. Tony Mendez did nothing and his plan was scuppered as too elaborate by Canadian officials who got people out using their own resources. You should not be taken in by a movie or a trailer.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... d-straight

I don't know where in that article that it said that "Tony Mendez did nothing". And to say "his plan got scuppered" implies that the Argo ruse wasn't used, when it was. While the filmmakers are indeed guilty of downplaying the role of the Canadians in the historical events, you seem to have swung the other way and negated the efforts of the CIA entirely, which also goes against the historical record.

Well said

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 pm
Site Admin

ram1312 wrote:
Was it a one year rule or did I remember ~10 years?

Either way...you gotta go into anything written or shown about a film expecting spoilers. That's at least my mindset...

I recently got ripped by someone for throwing out a PULP FICTION spoiler in my DJANGO review. Yes... someone thought my mentioning Travolta being killed in the middle of a movie that came out nearly 20 years ago is a spoiler.

A year sounds about right given how fast things cycle today. A movie is generally relevant twice - once when it enters theaters and then when it comes out on home video, usually about four months later. By the one year mark, it's old news.

Still, in reviews, I try to be judicious about spoilers for a few years - depending, of course, on how "stunning" the spoiler is.

As a general rule, I don't consider historical facts to be spoilers, unless they're extremely obscure. In the case of ARGO, the movie is heavily fictionalized but the result is a matter of record.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Let's stop the personal attacks and get back on topic. If I had a little more time, I'd go back and delete most of pages 3&4. Discussion about whether revelations about the end of ARGO are spoilers are okay (ARGO being in my Top 10, by the way), but some of the back-and-forth griping that has resulted is not. Start a new thread elsewhere if you want to continue.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

James,

With Oscar nominations being announced this morning, are you still planning on writing your "Memorable Performances" column? I know you stated you wanted to wait until it was closer to when nominations would be revealed. It's one of my favorite columns every year.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:04 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:

Without the Canadian organizing the rescue it would have been another US military/CIA cluster@#$% like the later rescue mission Operation Eagle Claw that ended ignominiously in the Iranian desert. Tony Mendez just had documents on him saying they were all Canadians their occupation was irrelevant and the movie angle was irrelevant as they just walked through Iranian customs without a single question raised by the Iranians because they were Canadians first and foremost. They could not pass as Swedish,Danish,Swiss or French film makers not matter what spin you put on the Argo storyline but as Canadians no problem. Ken Taylor deserves that CIA medal way more than Mendez as he did all the dangerous work while Mendez was the taxi driver.

http://international.gc.ca/history-histoire/people-gens/ken_taylor.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Quote:
In Tehran, moreover, Mendez “was totally in our hands,” Taylor said. His involvement over his weekend in Tehran was “not much . . . just some visa stamps. Ottawa had provided everything else.”

Quote:
Despite the eventual successful rescue from Tehran, the operation did not go off without hitches. The Canadians discovered that one of the CIA's forged Iranian visas had been mistakenly issued in the future -- its forger had "misinterpreted the Farsi calendar." Relations with the Canadian government were also strained at times; Mendez recounts that some Canadian forgeries "terribly outclassed" those made by the Americans. The CIA's maps also showed the incorrect location of the Canadian Embassy, where the agents were supposed to meet their Canadian contacts. After arriving at what was actually the Swiss Embassy, the two CIA agents had to act like lost tourists, asking Iranians on the street for directions. The final error occurred in the pre-dawn hours the day of the escape. Mendez awoke at 3 a.m. to a phone call; his alarm was set to wake him at 2:15 a.m. He had overslept.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:01 pm
Cinematographer

oakenshield32 wrote:
Tony Mendez just had documents on him saying they were all Canadians their occupation was irrelevant and the movie angle was irrelevant as they just walked through Iranian customs without a single question raised by the Iranians because they were Canadians first and foremost.

While that may be true, that is Monday morning quarterbacking. If my life is on the line, I'd rather have a deep cover story in case of probing questions rather than trying to get out of such a situation armed with a library card from the Montreal public library.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Honestly, I don't really care about Looper or Argo, but I'm still disappointed that Moonrise Kingdom didn't make James's top ten. :p

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:15 pm