Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Side by Side 
Post Side by Side
Just heard about the recent movie "Side by Dide", a documentary hosted and produced by Keanu Reeves. It is about the takeover from photochemical film to digital in cinematography. He is intervieweing some of the greats like Cameron, Fincher, Lynch, Scorsese, Robert Rodriguez and Soderbergh. For some reasons die hard defender of photochemical film, Tarantino, is missing, but I have seen Nolan in one clip. So the choice seems quite balanced.
I'm not sure if any cinema near me will show this movie. I definitely want to see it. Judging by some YouTube clips this looks very promising for movie tech geeks such as your truly.
Has anyone watched this documentary yet?

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 (great video clips there!)

For YouTube clips, simply type: side by side keanu reeves.

Any input welcome.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Side by Side
Saw this a couple months ago through "Itunes Movies". Its a pretty straight forward documentary with very little bias, yet it does in fact slowly shift toward one medium by the end of the film. Very informative, and does a pretty solid job at giving the pros and cons of both formats.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm
Director

I heard about this while it was in production. I didn't realize it was out yet. It looks fascinating.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:34 pm
Yep, I definitely need to see this. The death of film for moving pictures definitely is a historical event.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm
Cinematographer

I saw the trailer some time ago and I flagged it "to see as soon as I have the opportunity" but it has not arrived to any Hobart cinema yet. Now, you mention it, I will check if there are other related clips available in YouTube or IMDB. Definitely, I will see it in full at the first opportunity :-) I might even try iTunes if that's the only way lol

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

In 2002 most famous directors thought that George Lucas was blaspheming for telling the death of film . According this documentary, today no new models of film cameras are built any more and you can do already amazing things with digital cameras and improvements still to come for new digital models. It will be still a matter of time for film to be really dead but its end definitely looks nearer than in 2002 ;-)

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
unwindfilms wrote:
In 2002 most famous directors thought that George Lucas was blaspheming for telling the death of film . According this documentary, today no new models of film cameras are built any more and you can do already amazing things with digital cameras and improvements still to come for new digital models. It will be still a matter of time for film to be really dead but its end definitely looks nearer than in 2002 ;-)

There is absolutely no doubt that film is dead. The ones who grew up with it, including myself, need to get over it. There is a lot of nostalgia to it and I am of the opinion that many people pimped digital technology (be it in sound recording, stills photography, cinematography etc.) because it's cheaper, faster and more convenient but not better. BUT as we speak, digital cinematography IS better in almost every single aspect.
I own a cheap 150 Euro camera which I bought last X-mas. The colors are as natural and nuanced as I ever saw on any old camera using photochemical film. I even get 720p 30fps HD video for free with a photo camera - which is more than good enough to upload on YouTube and looks way better than most dedicated camcorders about 7 years ago. In fact, I am slowly finding myself to like the recent digital video look (free from slush puppy flavor colors and motion smear) better than the film look of the 80s and 90s. I don't count the 2000s because film color timing was aready tweaked digitally to look like something else. There are extremely vibrant colors now which photochemical film never can reproduce. The more muted, blended, softer color palette can easily reproduced by digital - if not 100% now, then soon it will be possible.
I look forward to something much bigger and better than just digital imitating a reel of 35mm film running at 24fps. We should be over this by now. For me "Side by side" is one last glance back. Yes I miss glancing at those old machines with the big reels or that typical sound of the projector running when you were waiting in the hall to get into the movie theater and someone opened the door to a projection booth - but like steam engines, those machines are technically obsolete. Museum pieces. Just like 35mm cameras. That is a fact.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 pm