Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:12 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Carrie (2013) 
Author Message
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Carrie (2013)
When I was at the theater to see Skyfall, one of the trailers that were shown before the film was for an upcoming adaptation of the Stephen King novel Carrie. I had seen the first film adaptation from 1976 with Sissy Spacek along with the less-accurate 2002 TV adaptation with Angela Bettis.

Carrie is one of the few King works that I liked, not to mention one of the few good film adaptations of his books, especially when compared with garbage like Silver Bullet. I like Chloe Grace Moretz and apparently, this version will be more faithful to the original novel than the previous ones were. This is looking like a film that I'd be interested in checking out when it releases in 3 months. Any other thoughts out there?

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3610
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Could be interesting, I actually enjoyed Carrie:The Rage, but the 2002 mini-series sucked.


Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Vexer wrote:
Could be interesting, I actually enjoyed Carrie:The Rage, but the 2002 mini-series sucked.

Did you watch the 1976 film with Sissy Spacek? If not, I'd recommend it, as I feel that it's the best adaptation so far.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:20 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1715
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
The 76 Carrie is one of the best mainstream films of its decade, and that's saying something. If there's one reason the world should end with 2012, this remake is it.


Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
MGamesCook wrote:
The 76 Carrie is one of the best mainstream films of its decade, and that's saying something. If there's one reason the world should end with 2012, this remake is it.

Now, now, MG- first, the 2013 is said to be a direct adaptation of the original novel and not a remake of the 1976 film. Also, it's being touted as a more accurate adaptation, which leads me to believe that we will see the following:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Carrie destroying most of the town as mentioned in the original novel rather than just setting the high school on fire as the 1976 film depicted.


If they do show this, then the film will certainly be more of a visual spectacle than all of the previous adaptations were.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3610
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Could be interesting, I actually enjoyed Carrie:The Rage, but the 2002 mini-series sucked.

Did you watch the 1976 film with Sissy Spacek? If not, I'd recommend it, as I feel that it's the best adaptation so far.

Been awhile since i've seen it, I didn't think it one was one of DePalms's better films but maybe i'd like it more if I rewatched it.


Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
I've always liked King's novel, so this hs kind of stirred my interest. Maybe I'll check it out.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
I'd ask "Why?" but I feel like the question is fast becoming pointless.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Ken wrote:
I'd ask "Why?" but I feel like the question is fast becoming pointless.

I hear you, as I've often asked that question myself, especially back in 2011. Only, I like Chloe Grace Moretz, and I liked the book and the first film it spawned. The fact that they are attempting another direct adaptation of the book rather than remaking one of the earlier films is a point in their favor for me. For me, there is a difference between an adaptation of the original work and a remake or reboot of a previous film, so I am looking at this upcoming film in a different way.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 258
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:
I'd ask "Why?" but I feel like the question is fast becoming pointless.

I hear you, as I've often asked that question myself, especially back in 2011. Only, I like Chloe Grace Moretz, and I liked the book and the first film it spawned. The fact that they are attempting another direct adaptation of the book rather than remaking one of the earlier films is a point in their favor for me. For me, there is a difference between an adaptation of the original work and a remake or reboot of a previous film, so I am looking at this upcoming film in a different way.


I think it's been pointed out here before, but it seems everytime filmmakers remake a film that was based upon a book, they almost always claim that they are "going to be closer to the book/making another adaptation of the book, not a remake". Generally I think filmmakers say they are doing this because remakes have become so common and therefore derided, so saying this feels more like a publicity thing, then necessarily a reflection of the filmmakers actual intentions.

From my observation, when this occurs, what usually happens is that the filmmakers will usually include elements from the book, while also including elements that may also have made original adaptation popular, thus creating a remake/new adaptation hybrid.

This isn't really here nor there, (as in I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with doing this) but I've seen Carrie and thought it was alright but nothing great. Therefore, while I'm not eagerly awaiting an adaptation, I think there is plenty of room for improvement and therefore will probably end up checking it out.
-Jeremy

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1715
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Teenagers still read Stephen King. Ian Fleming...not so much. That's probably why none of the old Bond films have been remade; it simply isn't marketable, because the original books don't have huge teenage fanbases. Bond is the one exception to the remake rule in that it's actually more profitable to continue to be original. Resident Evil is another example. Game fans are screaming for a reboot, but the execs don't have any confidence in that fanbase; it's more profitable to just let Anderson and Milla continue to do their thing.

If the original Carrie were considered more popular, maybe we'd be getting sequels instead of remakes.


Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
MGamesCook wrote:
If the original Carrie were considered more popular, maybe we'd be getting sequels instead of remakes.

You keep using the word "remake" incorrectly here, MG. I'd rather see another adaptation than a sequel to a story that didn't leave room for one given that:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Carrie sort of DIED in the book.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 436
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
MGamesCook wrote:

If the original Carrie were considered more popular, maybe we'd be getting sequels instead of remakes.


Obviously, you''re forgot Carrie 2: The Rage! Can't say that I blame you for that.


Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:18 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1715
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Quote:
Obviously, you''re forgot Carrie 2: The Rage! Can't say that I blame you for that.


Ah. Well, I suppose more popular series have been better able to survive their stinkers. Funny how that one's called The Rage, and De Palma's follow-up movie is called The Fury.

Quote:
You keep using the word "remake" incorrectly here, MG. I'd rather see another adaptation than a sequel to a story that didn't leave room for one given that:


[Reveal] Spoiler:
she dies in the De Palma movie too, at least so far as I can tell
I see your point, it's just that I've read the book and find De Palma's film to be faithful enough as far as adaptations go. Certainly more faithful than Kubrick's Stephen King movie. And this won't be like True Grit where the second version has superior auteurs. The book itself introduces many of King's great concepts, but it's structurally weak: the way he keeps cutting forward to interviews about the incident wouldn't work in a movie; hope they don't roll with that. And I just think, you can't ever top Sissy Spacek's sweet plainness in the role. She was really born to play that part.


Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:33 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Quote:
This is looking like a film that I'd be interested in checking out when it releases in 3 months.


Release was pushed back to Oct. 18

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ake-407905


Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3610
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
calvero wrote:
Quote:
This is looking like a film that I'd be interested in checking out when it releases in 3 months.


Release was pushed back to Oct. 18

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ake-407905

Guess they figured it would play better in the month where horror films usually do the best.


Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
The studio must have some confidence in the film, considering they're moving it out of the first quarter. It's a good sign.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 773
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
I like Chloe Grace Moretz who was in a good remake (Let me in) and other good films , I also liked the 1976 film. I have not read the book thou but I will check this movie when it is shown in Australia :-)

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
The website that I read the news has an interesting comment that given the climax, March might still be too soon after the school shooting.

Anyway, although October makes more sense for the film, I've previously thought that they were going to for the prom angle with the original March release?


Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: Carrie (2013)
new trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H369sxjyhx8


Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Syd Henderson and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr