Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 am

Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained? 

Which film is better?
Inglourious Basterds 81%  81%  [ 13 ]
Django Unchained 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained? 
Critic

Post Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained?
Inspired by the recent discussion on the Last Movie You Watched thread

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:19 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained?
I loved IB. The reason I enjoy QT movies so much is because the clever dialogue inspires me, and IB had loads of it. I was hoping that Django would inspire me the same way but it fell short. Only by a little bit though. So my vote goes to IB.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 pm
Cinematographer

I consider Basterds the best movie of the last, I don't know, lots and lots of years, so, I choose that one. Django is still pretty terrific, however.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:46 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
I consider Basterds the best movie of the last, I don't know, lots and lots of years, so, I choose that one. Django is still pretty terrific, however.

Inglourious Basterds really is something. Best movie since Pan's Labyrinth would probably be a good benchmark

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:17 pm
Producer

I enjoyed Django Unchained a great deal and it was probably the best flat-out entertainment of the year, but Inglourious Basterds floored me the first time I saw it and it has retained its strength with every subsequent screening. Django doesn't quite stack up.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:41 pm
Cinematographer

I gave them both an A-, but Inglourious is a much higher A- than Django. They both do a lot of [different] things well, but Inglourious aims a little bit higher and that's the difference for me. Interestingly enough, Django ranks higher on my year-end list (2 compared to 5), but I can't see that remaining this way once I see more good shit from 2012. Amour, Zero Dark Thirty, random foreign films that forever to get to my movie theater: I'm looking at you.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
They both do a lot of [different] things well...

I like what you say there Pedro. I kind of feel the same way.

I'm thinking about three scenes in Basterds that elevates that film above Django...but then I feel that Django, as a whole, took a much bigger set of balls to do, by all involved, and the turnout was fantastic.

7 to nothing as of my vote.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:21 am
Producer

I don't know. It takes pretty big balls to suggest that the Nazis be handled with the same horrible cruelty that made Nazis the real-life movie villains of the 20th century. Not that I'm arguing one way or the other, but it takes big balls to do either idea and one could scarcely measure which one takes the bigger balls. Perhaps we should just content ourselves with the understanding that QT is always sitting on a beanbag chair that he grew himself.

Django is much like Basterds in that both films progress in a series of rigidly defined episodes (hey, Basterds even numbers them for us!), and each episode in itself is an impeccable slice of cinematic fiction. Where they differ is that the episodes in Basterds flow in a much more pleasing fashion. It's like building a musical instrument. The different pieces of wood must be matched and joined very carefully so that none of the vibration is sapped in the transition from one piece to another. They must resonate together as one.

I think the reason that Django doesn't pull this off as well as Basterds does is that Basterds is very single-minded about its goals from the beginning. ("One thang and one thang only: killin' Natzees.") No matter what is happening or where the characters are at, there is always that one thang that everybody wants, which starts in scene one and propels the whole movie to the end. In Django, the story's raison d'etre is more mercurial, so it doesn't yoke the pieces together as tightly. They don't flow as logically. Much of the vibration generated by one piece is lost in the transition to the next.

In this way, Django's structure is reminiscent of 2001, which is also composed of episodes that are mostly self-contained. The crucial difference is that 2001 cultivates a very quiet, contemplative mood from the beginning. Energy is not its goal, and when it transitions from one self-contained section to the next, not a whole lot of energy needs to be maintained. To understate things, this is a luxury not shared by Tarantino's movies.

Some people have chalked this difference between Basterds and Django up to the change in editors. I don't think this is the case, because there were similar drawbacks in Death Proof and the Kill Bill movies. Rather, I think the issue begins at the idea stage and takes hold in the writing stage. I think any perceived issue with the editing is down to the fact that the editing is struggling to unify a story that was already difficult when it lived solely on the page.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:08 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Fucking great Ken.

Ken wrote:
I don't know. It takes pretty big balls to suggest that the Nazis be handled with the same horrible cruelty that made Nazis the real-life movie villains of the 20th century. Not that I'm arguing one way or the other, but it takes big balls to do either idea and one could scarcely measure which one takes the bigger balls. Perhaps we should just content ourselves with the understanding that QT is always sitting on a beanbag chair that he grew himself.

And I agree Ken...just, I think it takes bigger balls to tackle slavery the way he did being a white man than it takes tackling Nazi's the way he did being a white man. I think...

Could you imagine Basterds directed by Spike Lee?

And I agree with everything you follow that up with Ken...you eloquent fucking bastard. Damn...

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 am
Producer

They are both in the good but not great category but I definitely enjoyed Django Unchained more.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 am
Director

Definitely "Basterds." I felt "Django" recycled some of thesame elements from that film as well as "Kill Bill."

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 am