Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm Still Angry 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: I'm Still Angry
NotHughGrant wrote:
Well firstly I'd like to aplogise for the hyperbole employed by me earlier. If your parents took you etc I'm sure they did in good spirit and for the right reasons. My issue was that I know good people, with kids, in financial dire straights, and this advert kinda pressed all the wrong buttons yesterday. Every parent I personally know would gouge their own eyes out for their children and this kind of pressure shit winds me up. But I apologise for any offence

Thank you. I grew up in a difficult financial situation, and my parents were never able to take me on extravagant holidays to Disneyland either. And yeah, it's a bad advert, and really pushes this elitist vibe, and I hope it backfires on Disney and they learn from their mistake.

But I don't hold any grudge against richer people, or my parents, or anyone. I've paid my way through college, I work as an engineer, my fiancee is going to be a doctor, so chances are I'll accidentally be considered among the wealthy down the track anyways (my bad, don't judge me).

I originally posted a rage-fueled rant to your reply last night, but figured it would only stir the pot more and fuel more argument, so I deleted it. But thanks for showing more understanding and empathy toward the good parents out there, regardless of their financial straights. 16 million people visit Disneyland every year. That's over half the population of my country, so they can't be all bad parents :D

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
My opinion is that if you take your kids to Disneyland, you've not only more money that sense, you've more money than love. Because all it proves is that you lack the imagination and effort to give them a life experience worth remembering, and just chuck cash at the problem instead.

Wait what? More money than love? Dude it's a fucking theme park! You're making out like it's akin to child abuse. And who's to say they won't enjoy or remember the experience? You're making out like any parent who brings their children to Disneyland are irresponsible rich dickheads who throw money at their kids hoping it'll make them turn out alright. Screw that, and your gross generalisations.

Oh and yes, I agree it's a terrible, manipulative advertisement.

Most are yeah. That's exactly what they are. It's a symptom of society's apathy and lack of imagination . When the western big finance/big state model collapses, people will have to back to thinking for themelves, and delegating parental responsibility to a twat in a Mickey Mouse constume will hopefully die a squealing, undignified death.

In fact, you worded it better than I ever could.

Not necessarily.

I live in Florida and have lived there for most of my life. I've been to Disneyworld often throughout my life. My parents took me when they could afford to. I have fond memories of going and a few not so fond ones. But on the whole I don't regret any time spent there.

This advertisement is manipulative as most ads are. But I wasn't offended by it. I saw something on Facebook a few days ago that I found infintely more depressing. A picture of a tenager girl whining because she got a black 12 GB iphone instead of a white 20 GB one for Christmas.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Not necessarily.

I live in Florida and have lived there for most of my life. I've been to Disneyworld often throughout my life. My parents took me when they could afford to. I have fond memories of going and a few not so fond ones. But on the whole I don't regret any time spent there.

This advertisement is manipulative as most ads are. But I wasn't offended by it. I saw something on Facebook a few days ago that I found infintely more depressing. A picture of a tenager girl whining because she got a black 12 GB iphone instead of a white 20 GB one for Christmas.

Well NotHughGrant lives in the UK, where the advert was played. So it's little more difficult to take your kids to Disneyland than if you live in Florida (I know there's a Disneyland in Paris, but hey, it still requires travelling to a different country). But I'm glad you enjoyed your time there nonetheless :D

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Since when has a commercial been the tipping point for anyone to go to Disneyland? "Gee, the t.v. said Disneyland's fun, I guess I better go." They should just let David Lynch direct fucked up Disneyland commercials. It's not like they're going to see a decrease in attendance.

I've worked at a mediocre theme park for four years now and it's about as fun as what you bring to it. If you don't mind waiting in lines and love the shit out of roller coasters and whatnot, a theme park, regardless of its quality, is going to get the job done. If you're an impatient assface whose idea of disciplining kids is to beat them if they don't go on the scary roller coaster, that's not the theme park's fault. If you're a neglectful douchnozzle whose idea of treating kids to a good time is letting them roam a gigantic set of land while you drink overpriced beer in the dirtyass food court, that's not the theme park's fault. Don't be a shitty parent and take responsibility for your own failures!

Aside from movie trailers, is advertising even effective anymore? In the age of digital manipulation and fact checking, there's more than enough information floating around to credit or discredit anything that comes on a screen. I'm not a fan of the commercial, but my reaction to them is more or less the same: snooooore. By and large, they're poorly made, manipulative, boring, factually inaccurate wastes of bandwidth and air time. The ones that don't suck barely elicit a ho-hum these days. How many of you don't have an ad blocker? For all you know, you're missing out on cool things that you should know about. Do you care? I can't speak for you, but I certainly don't.

For what it's worth, I've been to Disneyland nine or ten times in my life and every trip has been a blast. Some trips had way more rain than necessary and others had way more crowds than necessary. The negatives always outweigh the positives, though, because I'm able to craft the experience I want to have. Sure, the rides are fun, but what makes Disneyland for me are the memories I've created and shared with family and friends. The first time I went on Space Mountain was only a few years ago. My mother and I got up really early to try to be the first ones in line, because any later would've guaranteed at least a 60-minute wait. Anything longer than ten minutes and I probably would've chickened out. The experience of walking to the ride, especially when there are few people in line, is relatively daunting. It's a long walk to the loading area and the atmosphere of queue is such that building tension is completely natural. Let's review: to go on Space Mountain for the first time, I had to get up early, run to the other side of the park, walk quickly through a waiting area that's designed well enough to merit more admiration, and not lose my nerve upon boarding the ride. How is that not a life experience worth remembering?

Furthermore, if you do it right, there are cost-efficient ways of doing theme parks. If you go all the time, get a season/annual pass. Take public transportation or walk there. Leave the park to get food. Don't buy shiny things. Leave your cynicism and unhappiness at home. In that sense, it's no different than anything else. If you do it right, a full season's worth of whatever fun you choose to have at Great America should cost no more than $57.99 per person. If you don't live ten minutes away from Great America, tack on a little more for gas/the airplane ride and a cheap hotel. I don't know, figure it out! If money is less of an inhibitor to the enjoyment of a theme park, the only thing that matters is how you go about the experience. If you're the type that chucks cash at problems, you're an asshole anyway and, one more time, that's not the theme park's fault.

This response feels a little unnecessary in light of NHG backing off some. I apologize if I come off as a dick. I just think it's silly to blame a theme park for shitty parenting.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:39 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Aside from movie trailers, is advertising even effective anymore? In the age of digital manipulation and fact checking, there's more than enough information floating around to credit or discredit anything that comes on a screen. I'm not a fan of the commercial, but my reaction to them is more or less the same: snooooore. By and large, they're poorly made, manipulative, boring, factually inaccurate wastes of bandwidth and air time. The ones that don't suck barely elicit a ho-hum these days. How many of you don't have an ad blocker? For all you know, you're missing out on cool things that you should know about. Do you care? I can't speak for you, but I certainly don't.

There needs to be an ad-blocker option for films at a theater, but they'd probably charge extra on the tickets for it.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:23 pm
Director

OP this Sundance film sounds up your alley

http://www.indiewire.com/article/sundan ... et-you-see

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 pm