Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:40 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Pedro wrote:
I recently listened to Fall Out Boy's, Lily Allen's, and Kanye West's new album. Saying Fall Out Boy is good will probably ostracize me from the board, so I'll leave that one alone. Lily Allen I'd like to listen to again, because the only notable track at the moment is Fuck You. That one's funny. 808s and Heartbreaks has a few good tracks, but is by and large not impressive. I admire him for doing something different, though.


I think "Fall Out Boy" could be good if not for the vocalist. I call the mid 2000's the era of "whiny white boy lead singers", because every hit band nowaday seems to have a lead vocalist that has an ear-piercing annoying voice, yet everyone likes it. That said, I CAN listen to Fall Out Boy if there's absolutely nothing else, but that's stretching it.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
I recently listened to Fall Out Boy's, Lily Allen's, and Kanye West's new album. Saying Fall Out Boy is good will probably ostracize me from the board, so I'll leave that one alone. Lily Allen I'd like to listen to again, because the only notable track at the moment is Fuck You. That one's funny. 808s and Heartbreaks has a few good tracks, but is by and large not impressive. I admire him for doing something different, though.


I think "Fall Out Boy" could be good if not for the vocalist. I call the mid 2000's the era of "whiny white boy lead singers", because every hit band nowaday seems to have a lead vocalist that has an ear-piercing annoying voice, yet everyone likes it. That said, I CAN listen to Fall Out Boy if there's absolutely nothing else, but that's stretching it.


That it is, sir. That it is.

I'm listening to an acoustic version of Sugarcult's Memory. Important song to me.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:46 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Peter Gabriel's "I Have the Touch" off of his Security (the one with "Shock the Monkey" on it). I love this song! Good call on Fall-Out Boy. I swear, that guy's voice makes me want to jump out of a 10-story window and onto oncoming traffic. Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:30 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra


Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:09 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
I recently listened to Fall Out Boy's, Lily Allen's, and Kanye West's new album. Saying Fall Out Boy is good will probably ostracize me from the board, so I'll leave that one alone. Lily Allen I'd like to listen to again, because the only notable track at the moment is Fuck You. That one's funny. 808s and Heartbreaks has a few good tracks, but is by and large not impressive. I admire him for doing something different, though.


I think "Fall Out Boy" could be good if not for the vocalist. I call the mid 2000's the era of "whiny white boy lead singers", because every hit band nowaday seems to have a lead vocalist that has an ear-piercing annoying voice, yet everyone likes it. That said, I CAN listen to Fall Out Boy if there's absolutely nothing else, but that's stretching it.


What about Pete Wentz? You're the bassist, you don't deserve to be leader of the band, to have people know your name or to marry and impregnate Ashlee Simpson! Go back to playing your bass in that moronically simple way that you play bass.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:28 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Magazine - The Light Pours Out Of Me with lyrics


Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
The Futureheads - News & Tributes

It's pretty cool. The last song, 'Face', has as much enthusiasm as anything I've heard in a bit.


Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
The Cure - Disintegration


Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:50 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Patrick wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
I recently listened to Fall Out Boy's, Lily Allen's, and Kanye West's new album. Saying Fall Out Boy is good will probably ostracize me from the board, so I'll leave that one alone. Lily Allen I'd like to listen to again, because the only notable track at the moment is Fuck You. That one's funny. 808s and Heartbreaks has a few good tracks, but is by and large not impressive. I admire him for doing something different, though.


I think "Fall Out Boy" could be good if not for the vocalist. I call the mid 2000's the era of "whiny white boy lead singers", because every hit band nowaday seems to have a lead vocalist that has an ear-piercing annoying voice, yet everyone likes it. That said, I CAN listen to Fall Out Boy if there's absolutely nothing else, but that's stretching it.


What about Pete Wentz? You're the bassist, you don't deserve to be leader of the band, to have people know your name or to marry and impregnate Ashlee Simpson! Go back to playing your bass in that moronically simple way that you play bass.


What a great post. XD

I listened to a lot old personal favorites on the plane ride home. Were I to reveal them, I'd be exiled (forget ostracized). But they're personal, so there you go.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:33 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Fall Out Boy would be a great band, if they weren't tone deaf, lead by a talentless lead singer, and weren't endlessly derivative and contrived themselves to be 'witty'. They are at least better than Panic at the Disco, but then, so was Chumbawumba.

As for what I'm listening to, I'm on a bunch of Bill Hicks material on youtube. What a legend.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:26 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
"Universal Mind Control", by Common


Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:04 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Patrick wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
I recently listened to Fall Out Boy's, Lily Allen's, and Kanye West's new album. Saying Fall Out Boy is good will probably ostracize me from the board, so I'll leave that one alone. Lily Allen I'd like to listen to again, because the only notable track at the moment is Fuck You. That one's funny. 808s and Heartbreaks has a few good tracks, but is by and large not impressive. I admire him for doing something different, though.


I think "Fall Out Boy" could be good if not for the vocalist. I call the mid 2000's the era of "whiny white boy lead singers", because every hit band nowaday seems to have a lead vocalist that has an ear-piercing annoying voice, yet everyone likes it. That said, I CAN listen to Fall Out Boy if there's absolutely nothing else, but that's stretching it.


What about Pete Wentz? You're the bassist, you don't deserve to be leader of the band, to have people know your name or to marry and impregnate Ashlee Simpson! Go back to playing your bass in that moronically simple way that you play bass.


Some bassists end up taking the lead, Wentz is an example of one that shouldn't be. Flea is undoubtedly the leader of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but he's actually talented and not trying to copy a formula for a band that has been done so many times already like Fall Out Boy does.

I'm listening to Staind, anything on the album "Dysfunction" is good. They are sort of emo, and their lyrics are indeed depressing, but I like the makeup of the band. The vocalist is very good, the instrumentals are impressive, and they have their fair share of great songs ("It's Been a While" and "Mudshovel" topping the list).

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
The best and most powerful of all Staind's songs is 'Waste'. That song has a bridge which is one of the most devastating moments ever captured in modern music.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:52 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Some bassists end up taking the lead, Wentz is an example of one that shouldn't be. Flea is undoubtedly the leader of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but he's actually talented and not trying to copy a formula for a band that has been done so many times already like Fall Out Boy does.

I'm listening to Staind, anything on the album "Dysfunction" is good. They are sort of emo, and their lyrics are indeed depressing, but I like the makeup of the band. The vocalist is very good, the instrumentals are impressive, and they have their fair share of great songs ("It's Been a While" and "Mudshovel" topping the list).


I would place either Kiedis or Fruscante as the leader of RHCP but Flea is certainly the lieutenant. Also, I think very few bassists should be leaders unless they're super-awesome like Geddy Lee.

And I remember when Staind used to be sensitive and good, now they're fat and pathetic.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:29 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
I re-listened to "Break the Cycle" today from Staind, that's another phenomenal album. I honestly haven't listened to the new Staind a lot, usually whenever an old Staind track appears on my shuffle, I let it play. I'm not a huge fan of their single "Believe" though, which was on their latest album.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I re-listened to "Break the Cycle" today from Staind, that's another phenomenal album. I honestly haven't listened to the new Staind a lot, usually whenever an old Staind track appears on my shuffle, I let it play. I'm not a huge fan of their single "Believe" though, which was on their latest album.


Have you heard All I Want, their new single? It's even more pathetic than Believe which I didn't think was possible.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:48 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Patrick wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I re-listened to "Break the Cycle" today from Staind, that's another phenomenal album. I honestly haven't listened to the new Staind a lot, usually whenever an old Staind track appears on my shuffle, I let it play. I'm not a huge fan of their single "Believe" though, which was on their latest album.


Have you heard All I Want, their new single? It's even more pathetic than Believe which I didn't think was possible.


I haven't, actually. Not that I disagree with you, but how do you determine that they're now "pathetic"? I mean, the lyrical content seems to have been the same with this band for their entire existence, revolving around personal demons and betrayal by close friends mostly. The thing with Staind is that they're now running the risk of making everything they do sound the same. Sometimes it's good to experiment and try to new things (see Chris Cornell in Audioslave), sometimes it can be disasterous (see Metallica in the mid 90's with the country sounding tracks, for the most part). I'll say from what I've heard of the recent Staind, I'm not a fan of it, just wondering how you determine the difference with them back in the day when the started, as opposed to now?

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I re-listened to "Break the Cycle" today from Staind, that's another phenomenal album. I honestly haven't listened to the new Staind a lot, usually whenever an old Staind track appears on my shuffle, I let it play. I'm not a huge fan of their single "Believe" though, which was on their latest album.


Have you heard All I Want, their new single? It's even more pathetic than Believe which I didn't think was possible.


I haven't, actually. Not that I disagree with you, but how do you determine that they're now "pathetic"? I mean, the lyrical content seems to have been the same with this band for their entire existence, revolving around personal demons and betrayal by close friends mostly. The thing with Staind is that they're now running the risk of making everything they do sound the same. Sometimes it's good to experiment and try to new things (see Chris Cornell in Audioslave), sometimes it can be disasterous (see Metallica in the mid 90's with the country sounding tracks, for the most part). I'll say from what I've heard of the recent Staind, I'm not a fan of it, just wondering how you determine the difference with them back in the day when the started, as opposed to now?


I actually have a blog on their descent into pathetic-ness...it doesn't really answer your question and I did it quickly but it's there. But I think the biggest problem is that Aaron Lewis is now singing about pussy-whipped. He was angry and wasn't going to take shit in Just Go and then he's basically been taking shit and crying like a bitch since Right Here.

And Metallica only did country with one song...they became mostly alternative in the mid 90's and I also happened to like that era of Metallica. Now St. Anger Metallica is where they decided to full on suck. Then they decided to be awesome again with Death Magnetic.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:55 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Patrick wrote:
I actually have a blog on their descent into pathetic-ness...it doesn't really answer your question and I did it quickly but it's there. But I think the biggest problem is that Aaron Lewis is now singing about pussy-whipped. He was angry and wasn't going to take shit in Just Go and then he's basically been taking shit and crying like a bitch since Right Here.

And Metallica only did country with one song...they became mostly alternative in the mid 90's and I also happened to like that era of Metallica. Now St. Anger Metallica is where they decided to full on suck. Then they decided to be awesome again with Death Magnetic.


I'd say blue-sy more than anything. I hate how people throw the word 'alternative' around in music so often.

St. Anger was overall a failure, but it also helped them transition from their late 90's blah into the much more successful Death Magnetic, and I still think that 'The Unnamed Feeling' is a very effective song in parts - especially when James has a breakdown in the bridge. Coupled with knowledge of his real troubles during recording, it's very effective.

Staind hasn't been good since 14 Shades of Grey, which itself had much more filler than Break The Cycle (despite making a song - So Far Away - which made them seem even more mature and genuine than any of their peers), and their latest work is simply tired. They were never a really complex band, and if you digress from even that, then you are in for tragedy. They are still better than the lumpy mass of diahrrea known as Nickelback (since 2004-5, at least).


Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:24 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
I actually have a blog on their descent into pathetic-ness...it doesn't really answer your question and I did it quickly but it's there. But I think the biggest problem is that Aaron Lewis is now singing about pussy-whipped. He was angry and wasn't going to take shit in Just Go and then he's basically been taking shit and crying like a bitch since Right Here.

And Metallica only did country with one song...they became mostly alternative in the mid 90's and I also happened to like that era of Metallica. Now St. Anger Metallica is where they decided to full on suck. Then they decided to be awesome again with Death Magnetic.


I'd say blue-sy more than anything. I hate how people throw the word 'alternative' around in music so often.

St. Anger was overall a failure, but it also helped them transition from their late 90's blah into the much more successful Death Magnetic, and I still think that 'The Unnamed Feeling' is a very effective song in parts - especially when James has a breakdown in the bridge. Coupled with knowledge of his real troubles during recording, it's very effective.

Staind hasn't been good since 14 Shades of Grey, which itself had much more filler than Break The Cycle (despite making a song - So Far Away - which made them seem even more mature and genuine than any of their peers), and their latest work is simply tired. They were never a really complex band, and if you digress from even that, then you are in for tragedy. They are still better than the lumpy mass of diahrrea known as Nickelback (since 2004-5, at least).


I agree with this. I think the only great songs on "St. Anger" are "The Unnamed Feeling" and "Shoot Me Again". I was talking about the song "Mama Said" when I was referring to the country sound obviously, maybe that's unfair to tag that entire decade as a switch, it was a switch from heavy metal to more hard rock, I guess. "Death Magnetic" is an album I've been glued to ever since it came out, there isn't one bad track on it and yes, it is indeed awesome.

About Staind, I see what your talking about Patrick, I guess I'll have to delve into the lyrics more on their latest stuff since I was listening to Staind's older, more fleshed out material. I think "Break the Cycle" is an excellent album, and "14 Shades of Gray" is also impressive.

Evenflow, spot on about Nickleback. I like the song "How You Remind Me", and that's about it. That said, I think Chad Kroeger from Nickleback has talent, he just hasn't utilized it correctly. There was a song he did with Carlos Santana called "Into the Night" which is extremely catchy and really captures what kind of range this guy has IF he wants to use it, but instead he centers around the subject "what if" countless times in his songs and it gets tiring. Another song he did was "Hero" with Josey Scott, which was the lead song on the "Spiderman" soundtrack, another great song. That said, I have to listen to Nickleback's "Rock Star" almost every day at work, its annoying. Its sad to see a guy who has alright vocals like Kroeger wasting it in a crap band like Nickleback.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 38  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr