Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
p604 wrote:
The worst film ever made has to be either Sex inthe city 2 or Thunderbirds.
Sex in the city was one of the best tv shows during the 90's. It worth it checking it out to hear the marvelous dialog and chemistry between the central charactors.
Samantha was one of the coolest charactor in that show.
Here we had a proudly defiant older woman who was comfortable in her skin. . Then the film came along and turned her into a pill popping, mean spirited, spoilt, egotistical bitch that i have ever seen been displayed on screen. The other 3 charactors were not as bad but still, my god what horse sh1t the whole thing was.
I really hate the fact that they went to Dubai, had sod all respent for any the culture there,
skimmed over the fact that women are treated like 2nd class citizens there and then at the end they had to rush home not because of some disaster , oh no.
The reason they had to get to the airport sop quickly is because if they didn't they would have to fly coach.

I popped this on for about forty minutes because it was playing on HBO one night, as a fan of the original show I wanted to be sure the film was as bad as the trailers and the universal word of mouth assured me it was. It was around Miranda's (red hair) giddy exaltation about having her own personal air conditioned car that the film lost me as much as it lost touch with everything it else it used to be about. Because, you know, its sooo damn hard to find air conditioning in Dubai... :roll:

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
p604 wrote:
The worst film ever made has to be either Sex inthe city 2 or Thunderbirds.
Sex in the city was one of the best tv shows during the 90's. It worth it checking it out to hear the marvelous dialog and chemistry between the central charactors.
Samantha was one of the coolest charactor in that show.
Here we had a proudly defiant older woman who was comfortable in her skin. . Then the film came along and turned her into a pill popping, mean spirited, spoilt, egotistical bitch that i have ever seen been displayed on screen. The other 3 charactors were not as bad but still, my god what horse sh1t the whole thing was.
I really hate the fact that they went to Dubai, had sod all respent for any the culture there,
skimmed over the fact that women are treated like 2nd class citizens there and then at the end they had to rush home not because of some disaster , oh no.
The reason they had to get to the airport sop quickly is because if they didn't they would have to fly coach.

I popped this on for about forty minutes because it was playing on HBO one night, as a fan of the original show I wanted to be sure the film was as bad as the trailers and the universal word of mouth assured me it was. It was around Miranda's (red hair) giddy exaltation about having her own personal air conditioned car that the film lost me as much as it lost touch with everything it else it used to be about. Because, you know, its sooo damn hard to find air conditioning in Dubai... :roll:

I want to correct you that it's Abu Dhabi not Dubai, but that would reveal I know way, way too much about the film

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Correction granted; the movie is still shit.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 am
Producer

Damn straight it is. The first film was a lifeless, plotless piece of lazy garbage. The second so bad you have to wonder what the hell they were thinking. It's offensive!

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 am
Gaffer

PEARL HARBOR - The worst film I've ever seen. A catastrophic mistake, and a major disgrace to the thousands who died that Dec. 7th.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE NEXT GENERATION - Of all the things horribly wrong with this movie, from Leatherface, to the cringe-inducing dialogue, to the amateur-hour acting, one thing sticks out among them all: not a single one of the characters in this ninety minute travesty died by chainsaw.

ELEPHANT - Critics hailed this as the one of the best movies of the year upon its release. I beg to differ. Quite possible the most boring and lifeless film I've ever seen; the first movie I've watched where you see a character walk down a street or sidewalk for such a ridiculously extended period of time that you could fast-forward the whole scene and not miss a thing.

There are many more, but those are the ones that stick out in my head.

Last edited by scottish_punk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:44 pm
Critic

scottish_punk wrote:
PEARL HARBOR - The worst film I've ever seen. A catastrophic mistake, and a major disgrace to the thousands who died that Dec. 7th.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE NEXT GENERATION - Of all the things horribly wrong with this movie, from Leatherface, to the cringe-inducing dialogue, to the amateur-hour acting, one thing sticks out among them all: not a single one of the characters in this ninety minute travesty died a chainsaw death.

ELEPHANT - Critics hailed this as the one of the best movies of the year upon its release. I beg to differ. Quite possible the most boring and lifeless film I've ever seen; the first movie I've watched where you see a character walk down a street or sidewalk for such a ridiculously extended period of time that you could fast-forward the whole scene and not miss a thing.

There are many more, but those are the ones that stick out in my head.

Completely agree with you about Elephant

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 am

scottish_punk wrote:
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE NEXT GENERATION - Of all the things horribly wrong with this movie, from Leatherface, to the cringe-inducing dialogue, to the amateur-hour acting, one thing sticks out among them all: not a single one of the characters in this ninety minute travesty died a chainsaw death.

What I really hated about this movie was when Picard started killing off the rest of the crew on the holodeck. Data was about to save the day before he was offed by Leatherface with a deadly virus that fried his positronic brain.

The Picard/Leatherface showdown for control of the Enterprise did at least give us the classic line, "Engage THIS, motherfucker!"

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm
Producer

Sweet Home Alabama is pretty crappy, but I'll forgive it a lot for the scene in the pet cemetery. You can hate your home town, hate your husband, run away from your background, but how do you run away from something that loved you without question? That cemetery really exists, by the way. It's in Crawfordville, Georgia, not Alabama. It's one of those things that give me hope for mankind.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 am
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
Sweet Home Alabama is pretty crappy, but I'll forgive it a lot for the scene in the pet cemetery. You can hate your home town, hate your husband, run away from your background, but how do you run away from something that loved you without question? That cemetery really exists, by the way. It's in Crawfordville, Georgia, not Alabama. It's one of those things that give me hope for mankind.

I don't even remember that scene at all, Reese Witherspoon can be likeable in the right film(This Means War) but in SHA I just didn't really care who she ended up with.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:05 pm
Producer

The male lead in that film has all the charisma of a glass of warm piss.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
The male lead in that film has all the charisma of a glass of warm piss.

Couldn't agree more, Josh Lucas was SOOOOO bland that I couldn't believe anyone would fall for him, though did actually do a pretty good job as the bad guy in the recent Nicholas Cage film Stolen.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:47 am
Producer

Is that his name. I recognised him as an extra in American Psycho. Another film he did (to a degree) with Witherspoon.

Perhaps she owed him a favour.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Is that his name. I recognised him as an extra in American Psycho. Another film he did (to a degree) with Witherspoon.

Perhaps she owed him a favour.

Yeah that's his name, funny that he was two movies titled Stolen.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:56 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I don't even remember that scene at all, Reese Witherspoon can be likeable in the right film(This Means War) but in SHA I just didn't really care who she ended up with.

The cemetery is devoted to coonhounds, one of which they owned during their marriage. Reese goes to visit their dog's grave. There's another coonhound cemetery in Cherokee, Alabama.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Titanic won best visual effects at the oscars in 1998. If you watch that now compared to Starship Troopers, which do you think looks better? Titanic is probably a bad example, as the cgi/visual effects/special effects are so different. Let me know what sci film had better visual effects before Starship Troopers in 1997 and I'll check it out.

Event Horizon.

Event Horizon is not my cup of tea; I didn't enjoy it very much but didn't hate it the way you did Starship Troopers. Anyway, the visual effects are very good, but I think ST are superior. Maybe if I'd seen Event Horizon at the cinema at the time it was released (I saw ST on the big screen) I'd have a different opinion of its visual effects, although I find it hard to acknowledge excellence in a film I don’t care for.

Also too, Event Horizon wasn’t nominated for visual effects (special effects whatever) anywhere, whereas Starship Troopers was nominated at five different awards ceremonies. I don’t really rate award nights but surely EH could have been acknowledged somewhere if its effects were worthy?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 pm
Director

wisey wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Titanic won best visual effects at the oscars in 1998. If you watch that now compared to Starship Troopers, which do you think looks better? Titanic is probably a bad example, as the cgi/visual effects/special effects are so different. Let me know what sci film had better visual effects before Starship Troopers in 1997 and I'll check it out.

Event Horizon.

Event Horizon is not my cup of tea; I didn't enjoy it very much but didn't hate it the way you did Starship Troopers. Anyway, the visual effects are very good, but I think ST are superior. Maybe if I'd seen Event Horizon at the cinema at the time it was released (I saw ST on the big screen) I'd have a different opinion of its visual effects, although I find it hard to acknowledge excellence in a film I don’t care for.

Also too, Event Horizon wasn’t nominated for visual effects (special effects whatever) anywhere, whereas Starship Troopers was nominated at five different awards ceremonies. I don’t really rate award nights but surely EH could have been acknowledged somewhere if its effects were worthy?

Event Horizon was basically an Alien rip. Starship Troopers couild be enjoyed if seen as what ti was: a satire.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 am
Assistant Director

Anyone remember Alex & Emma? God that movie sucked. Poor Sophie Marceau...so talented, yet unable to become a known name in the US except for being "the chick from Braveheart"

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Anyone remember Alex & Emma? God that movie sucked. Poor Sophie Marceau...so talented, yet unable to become a known name in the US except for being "the chick from Braveheart"

I vaguely remember it, as I recall it was mediocre but not horrible. I know Sophie Marceau from that underrated David Spade film "Lost And Found".

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 am
Director

Time for a list.

10 so-called films I find repugnant in some way or another.

In no particular order.

Pearl Harbor
The Adventures Of Pluto Nash
Tyler Perry's Temptation
Hide And Seek
The Blind Side
Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close
The English Patient
Hannibal Rising
The Good Son
Larry Crowne

First off, we have a movie that takes one of the most significant events in American history and reduces it to being nothing more than a backdrop for a trite soap opera.

Eddie Murphy in a movie that offers how many laughs? Zero. Even the truly awful Norbit managed to provoke an occasional snicker. One could argue that Daddy Day Care is even worse. But this is the worst misfire on a resume that became full of them over the past almost two decades.

Got roped into seeing Temptation because a friend wanted to. I'd seen a few Tyler Perry movies before and found them to be not particularly well-done or funny. His brand of comedy has always been elusive to me and no comments about how a white guy like me doesn't get black humor as I've watched and enjoyed numerous black comedies as well as specials and albums by black comedians. This one has Perry in dramatic mode and the result is a soap opera combined with old testament syle moralizing. The truly lovely and talented Jurnee Smollett to her credit manages to do the best with what she has to work with. But she's not helped out at all by the awful screenplay which could easily have been jotted on the back of a matchbook. And the uber-depressing ending would have been effective if it hadn't came off as a piece of trite moralizing. This film didn't leave me questioning the morality of cheating it left me wondering "Why does Tyler Perry hate women so much".

The truly hideous Hide And Seek wastes Robert De Niro (even Pacino hasn't sunk this low) and uses a horrendous story with a child in danger that offers no thrills at all. It also blatantly apes The Shining in more ways than one.

Look up the words Oscar Bait in the dictionary. You'll see a picture of The Blind Side. And Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for this piece of crap?

Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. It isn't as bad as The Blind Side. It might actually be worse.

Overpraised bloated borefest that stole the Oscar from the much more deserving Fargo. However, there has been some justice here. Fargo is widely regarded nowadays as a modern classic. Its Oscar win notwithstanding The English Patient is deservedly more or less forgotten.

Took one of the greatest screen psychopaths ever and tried to offer a pop psychology reason for why he was the way he was. UGH!!!

Still can't believe that Mccauley Culkin's dad pushed for him to get the role in this reprehensible attempt at a thriller. Mr. Culkin can take credit for helping to ruin his son's career. As for this horrendous piece of garbage, thankfully it's been forgotten by most of the general public.

Finally Larry Crowne was one I found mildly enjoyable when I first watched it. Then I tried re-watching it and realizing that it's the cinematic equivalent of a work supervisor I once had who would constantly say "put a little PEP in your step!". I can appreciate the movie's call for optimism. But it pushes this to the level of obnoxious. To top it off, aside from George Takei's character, it wasn't that funny. Horrible Bosses, which came out around the same time, was no great shakes either. But at least it was funny.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:08 am
Producer

I'm not sure I've mentioned the Luddite ecological fantasy, The Emerald Forest, but now I have.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:34 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next