Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:45 am

12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies 
Auteur

Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
I think we're hitting upon a good sub-discussion for this thread, but I think we're couching it in slightly incorrect terms. If you were to introduce someone to world cinema, which choices would you make and for which places? "Foreign language" is sort of putting the cart before the horse, and besides, so far it's been used as a synonym for Euro-cinema.

Why not start with Asian cinema? The Seven Samurai would be a great introduction. Everybody loves the Seven Samurai.

I wouldn't start someone with a four goddamn hour black and white film. I like the Seven Samurai okay, but I don't think you guys understand the youth of today at all

As one of the youngest people on here, I can tell you that VERY few teens are going to go for something like Seven Samurai, for Asian cinema, just show them a John Woo film or two, I doubt you'll here teens complain too much about Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
I wouldn't start someone with a four goddamn hour black and white film. I like the Seven Samurai okay, but I don't think you guys understand the youth of today at all

Black and white may present a problem, but in the day and age of the "stop" button, length is easily resolved by dividing the film into two or three sittings. (Recall today's common practice of marathoning serial TV shows on DVD and Netflix--surely a more taxing practice in terms of length.) And I specifically suggest this particular four goddamn hour black and white film because its appeal is nearly universal. It is a Shawshank Redemption type film, in that unsophisticated viewers can recognize its quality fairly easily, and that it can serve as a gateway to serious films of a more challenging nature.

Yes, I realize kids have a low tolerance for certain characteristics in film, purely from lack of cultural acclimation, but I wouldn't underestimate them, either.

Although Vexy might be onto something with his suggestion of a Hong Kong action movie. Perhaps one of Jackie's pre-Hollywood films?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Black and white may present a problem, but in the day and age of the "stop" button, length is easily resolved by dividing the film into two or three sittings. (Recall today's common practice of marathoning serial TV shows on DVD and Netflix--surely a more taxing practice in terms of length.) And I specifically suggest this particular four goddamn hour black and white film because its appeal is nearly universal. It is a Shawshank Redemption type film, in that unsophisticated viewers can recognize its quality fairly easily, and that it can serve as a gateway to serious films of a more challenging nature.

Yes, I realize kids have a low tolerance for certain characteristics in film, purely from lack of cultural acclimation, but I wouldn't underestimate them, either.

Although Vexy might be onto something with his suggestion of a Hong Kong action movie. Perhaps one of Jackie's pre-Hollywood films?

I would not say it's "near universal" at all, kids today just aren't interested in black and white films(neither am I to be honest) they're not going to waste time pausing and stopping a four hour film, they'll just say "screw it" and watch something else, Jackie Chan is a much better choice, at least that makes it unlikely for kids to get bored and fall into a coma like they probably would with Seven Samurai.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:33 pm
Producer

Nobody born after 1940 starts right out of the gate being interested in black and white movies. They need to be given that chance, so a list of movies to get someone into movies must have some black and white entries. I'm not saying everyone's going to jump on black and white like stink on a mule, but if there are no opportunities, then none of them will.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Nobody born after 1940 starts right out of the gate being interested in black and white movies. They need to be given that chance, so a list of movies to get someone into movies must have some black and white entries. I'm not saying everyone's going to jump on black and white like stink on a mule, but if there are no opportunities, then none of them will.

Maybe they will develop an interest eventually, but that's not likely going to happen until they're in college or later, if you're going to show them a black and white film, at least don't show them one that's so goddamn long.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:39 pm
Critic

Oh I agree that getting people into B/W is essential for film fandom, and I think 12 Angry Men is perfect in this regard.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I would not say it's "near universal" at all, kids today just aren't interested in black and white films(neither am I to be honest) they're not going to waste time pausing and stopping a four hour film, they'll just say "screw it" and watch something else, Jackie Chan is a much better choice, at least that makes it unlikely for kids to get bored and fall into a coma like they probably would with Seven Samurai.

My question to you would be this: Have you ever actually seen The Seven Samurai? It's absolutely thrilling, and for a film of its length, has no fat on it whatsoever. The dramatic stuff packs a hell of a punch, but it is also one of the best action movies I've ever seen (it is an action movie).

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:59 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

My question to you would be this: Have you ever actually seen The Seven Samurai? It's absolutely thrilling, and for a film of its length, has no fat on it whatsoever. The dramatic stuff packs a hell of a punch, but it is also one of the best action movies I've ever seen (it is an action movie).

I've seen the film and I don't think it's absolutely thrilling. I like it, mind you, but if you think the majority of the kids of today are going to be thrilled by it, you need to spend some time in my classroom.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:23 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I've seen the film and I don't think it's absolutely thrilling. I like it, mind you, but if you think the majority of the kids of today are going to be thrilled by it, you need to spend some time in my classroom.

A Kurosawa film would be a great choice for someone's first-time exposure to world cinema, but I agree that The Seven Samurai might not be the best pick. Don't get me wrong, I love the film, but even the prospect of watching a four-hour subtitled epic might be a little too daunting. My choice would be Yojimbo. It's shorter and more accessible. Plus, it was my own first experience with foreign films a long time back, one that really spurred me on to give a chance to more releases from outside the U.S.

I'll try to think of some more possible choices that haven't yet been mentioned.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I have a tough enough time watching 3 hour films, so it's pretty safe to say a 4 hour black and white film wouldn't thrill me much. There's too many other things i'd rather be doing for 4 hours, like playing Far Cry 3.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I have a tough enough time watching 3 hour films, so it's pretty safe to say a 4 hour black and white film wouldn't thrill me much. There's too many other things i'd rather be doing for 4 hours, like playing Far Cry 3.

You really don't know what you're missing. Few 60-year-old films hold up as well as Seven Samurai does. It's truly one of the greatest films ever made.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:27 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

You really don't know what you're missing. Few 60-year-old films hold up as well as Seven Samurai does. It's truly one of the greatest films ever made.

I don't agree, but that's neither here nor there. What's germane to the discussion at hand is that Vexer is far more representative of today's youth than you are.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
I don't agree, but that's neither here nor there. What's germane to the discussion at hand is that Vexer is far more representative of today's youth than you are.

Including certain misconceptions and prejudices that may not hold true once the reality of the movies has asserted itself.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Including certain misconceptions and prejudices that may not hold true once the reality of the movies has asserted itself.

I don't follow. Could you be more specific?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

The merits of Kurosawa aside, I will add that for those who say they're not interested in watching black and white films...then I have a hard time taking them seriously as film fans. The use of b/w is a legitimate artistic choice, and a film should not be dismissed out of hand because of it.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:37 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Yeah i'll just take your word for it and move on.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

The merits of Kurosawa aside, I will add that for those who say they're not interested in watching black and white films...then I have a hard time taking them seriously as film fans. The use of b/w is a legitimate artistic choice, and a film should not be dismissed out of hand because of it.

Well it's mainly the length of SS that's off-putting, if it were in color I wouldn't be any more likely to watch it, i'm not put off by B&W films, there's a few i've enjoyed(I.E. She's Gotta Have It)

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

Vex's perspective is indeed very representative of the youth of today. My kids are crazy into video games, and the amount of time spent there is mind-bogglingly depressing to me (not saying in Vex's case necessarily). People that put 50+ (or much more) hours into games that are designed specifically to not be satisfying (Skyrim and the like) just make my mind melt in all the wrong ways. There's a place for leisure in life of course, but some are just so aggressively time-suckers.

The merits of Seven Samurai aside (I happen to side with Kunzie), I think there's better and more accessible intros -- I'd argue that Sansho is far more accessible if you're going with a 50 year-old Japanese film. But there's loads of other options that are equally valid. I think 12 Angry Men is a great start.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 am
Second Unit Director

I think this is one case where the IMDB top 250 list is actually useful. I think it's a pretty good indicator of what the mainstream public like, and would probably translate to a good introduction into movies. Obviously doing a 1-1 going down the list wouldn't be the best approach, but with some thought it's got a good selection to choose from.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:18 am
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Vex's perspective is indeed very representative of the youth of today. My kids are crazy into video games, and the amount of time spent there is mind-bogglingly depressing to me (not saying in Vex's case necessarily). People that put 50+ (or much more) hours into games that are designed specifically to not be satisfying (Skyrim and the like) just make my mind melt in all the wrong ways. There's a place for leisure in life of course, but some are just so aggressively time-suckers.

The merits of Seven Samurai aside (I happen to side with Kunzie), I think there's better and more accessible intros -- I'd argue that Sansho is far more accessible if you're going with a 50 year-old Japanese film. But there's loads of other options that are equally valid. I think 12 Angry Men is a great start.
What do you mean by "designed specfically not to be satisfying"? That dosen't really make any sense, though I can say I have zero interest in Skyrim. There are some games however that require too much of a commitment(not to mention a top-of-the-line PC)like World Of Warcraft, I also don't have a lot of patient for RPGs like the Final Fantasy series.

Adults are crazy into video games too, I reguarly visit a website called Videogamecritic, the majority of people on that forum are in they're 30s and 40s and still are into gaming jsut as much as teens are.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 am