Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 am

12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies 
Critic

Post 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
For those of you who don't know, I'm a middle/high school teacher, and one of the perks of the job is influencing young minds. Recently a 16 year old male student got tired of feeling left out whenever I mentioned movies that he hadn't watched, and asked me to come up with a list of movies he needs to have seen to be an intelligent member of society.

I thought this presented an interesting though exercise for movie-watching people such as ourselves. You can't just recommend 12 great movies, because you're trying to not only satisfy the kid's request but also to get him to really like movies and stay into them. So, for instance, I didn't put Citizen Kane on there. It's amazing, but I'd rather he wait a bit. So to that end, the conditions I came up with were the following:

-The movies should be ones that are great, but also accessible.
-The movies should be from a mix of decades, directors, and genres
-The movies should be a mixture of lengths, as great movies tend to be long and I didn't want to bludgeon the poor kid to death with 180 minute epics.
-The movies should not be obscure, as the student's request was movies he should have seen

So, with that said, what would you recommend? I'm including my list under a spoiler blind in case you don't want my picks to influence yours.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Pan's Labyrinth
Memento
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Groundhog Day
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Apocalypse Now
Annie Hall
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Psycho
12 Angry Men
Casablanca

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: 12 Movies To Get Someone Into Movies
'Aliens'
'Amadeus'
'American Beauty'
'Apocalypse Now'
'Casablanca'
'Dark City'
'Fargo'
'Being John Malkovich'
'Raiders of the Lost Ark'
'Rosemary's Baby'
'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?'
'Vertigo'

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm
Producer

Throw in some 12 Angry Men. It made a big impression on me years before I was a "movie person". No small feat for a black and white, largely conversational movie.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm
Director

I have trouble believing this kid hasn't seen Raiders, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, or Aliens. has he seen any movies? or is he raised by Piper Laurie from Carrie? Those films aren't exactly Tarkovsky like or something, casual moviegoers of all ages loved them.

My guess is 16 year olds today aren't crazy about anything in black & white or with subtitles(though this goes for the majority of the American public at any age) so I would avoid those.

Amadeus & Apocalypse Now would probably put him to sleep(I would go with Platoon, if you want a faster paced Vietnam flick)

They Shoot Horses is a good choice.

some others that I think he won't find boring:
Bonnie & Clyde
A Clockwork Orange
Dog Day Afternoon
Full Metal Jacket
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Cool Hand Luke
Blade Runner

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
I have trouble believing this kid hasn't seen Raiders, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, or Aliens. has he seen any movies? or is he raised by Piper Laurie from Carrie? Those films aren't exactly Tarkovsky like or something, casual moviegoers of all ages loved them.

Very few of my students have seen much of anything. Now bear in mind I'm in the boonies -- the eastern shore of Maryland -- but nevertheless the only two movies he had seen of the 12 I recommended were Pulp Fiction and (oddly) Casablanca.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 pm
Assistant Director

Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
The Mark of Zorro (1940)
Cyrano of Bergerac (1950)
12 Angry men (1957)
Goldfinger (1964)
The good, the bad and the ugly (1966) <- Long movie but worthy ;-)
Rocky (1976)
Blade Runner (1982)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Gattaca (1997)
The Sixth sense (1999)
The Avengers 3D (2012)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Director

My picks would go as follows:

12 Angry Men - As a great example of the superb acting.
Alien - Quite simply, one of the greatest horror films ever made.
The Bridge On The River Kwai - It's about morality and all, but it's also a damn good story.
Casablanca - The greatest product of the studio system.
Dazed And Confused - A real high school movie.
Ed Wood - One of the best movies about making movies ever made.
The French Connection - Cop movies don't get more gritty and intense than this.
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Arguably the greatest western ever made.
Hoop Dreams - One of the finest American documentaries ever made.
King Kong - The original, which is still one of the best monster movies ever.
Le Cercle Rouge - French cool doesn't come more cool than this.
Monty Python And The Holy Grail - Because you've got to include something funny.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

That's been on my "maybe" list for a while. I assume I need to see it? I loved Army of Shadows but thought Le Samourai was merely good

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm
Director

Quote:
but nevertheless the only two movies he had seen of the 12 I recommended were Pulp Fiction and (oddly) Casablanca.

has he seen any Indiana Jones movie? the last one that came out in 2008? Crystal Skull?
I guess remaking everything is not a bad idea, if your students are indicative of the average teenager.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 pm
Well I think the big problem is that we are living in an age of short memory and short attention span. I would completely understand that the pace of any movie before 1995 (to say nothing of leasurely paced and padded tv shows) would be unbearable for today's teenagers. I would let them work their way kind of backwards, not chronologically but regarding style, content and pace, until they can appreciate movies that completely breathe and take their time, or are in black and white and dialog heavy. Fully restored BluRay versions help a lot because the added detail will provide more things to absorb and the overall look is more compatible with today's ultra clean and crisp graphics.
The movies below are not necessarily "all time greatest", but definitely "must see". In order:

1) The Matrix
2) Minority Report
3) Aliens
4) Groundhog Day
5) The Truman Show
6) Jaws
7) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
8) 007: Goldfinger
9) North By Northwest
10) The Apartment
11) Twelve angry Men
12) Frankenstein (1931)

P.S.: a lot of movies only can be appreciated when the viewer already has a good reference pool. Pulp Fiction is one of them. I also would go rather easy on romantic drama and straight 50s American westerns (Spaghetti westerns are cooler and should provide a good entry for the "originals").

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

That's been on my "maybe" list for a while. I assume I need to see it? I loved Army of Shadows but thought Le Samourai was merely good

Most definitely. I think it's one of Melville's best films.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 am
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Most definitely. I think it's one of Melville's best films.

How many 16 year olds on the planet are going to sit through a 2.5 hour, diliberately paced, French film? Look, I love the movie. Kunz should see it ASAP. His student probably shouldn't watch it for another 5-6 years, or until he's seen enough heist films to put it in the proper context. That's not a movie for a 16 year old trying to get into movies.

As for my list:

1) Alien
2) LA Confidential
3) Reservoir Dogs (since he's already seen Pulp Fiction)
4) Raiders of the Lost Ark
5) The Godfather
6) Some Like it Hot
7) North by Northwest
8) Any of the Connery Bonds, but preferably Goldfinger
9) Lawrence of Arabia
10) 12 Angry Men
11) Chinatown
12) The Wizard of Oz

I tried to pick a mix of movies I saw at around that age and loved. Or, movies I think 16 year old Pete would have loved.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:

How many 16 year olds on the planet are going to sit through a 2.5 hour, diliberately paced, French film? Look, I love the movie. Kunz should see it ASAP. His student probably shouldn't watch it for another 5-6 years, or until he's seen enough heist films to put it in the proper context. That's not a movie for a 16 year old trying to get into movies.

+1 I agree with you completely, but am trying not to dismiss other's opinions because it makes others mad at me, but yeah Melville is not for neophytes.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:

I used to think the same thing calvero, but year after year these kids amaze me with how few films they'll watch that were made before they were born. They call them "old."

I'm not good at lists, but you'd have to add The Princess Bride to the mix. Possibly Goodfellas, as well.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 pm
Director

Quote:
I used to think the same thing calvero, but year after year these kids amaze me with how few films they'll watch that were made before they were born. They call them "old.

my buddy has an 8 year old who loves raiders, terminator(pretty much any arnie flick), goonies, gremlins etc.
I bet he'd like the Princess Bride(but not sure my buddy owns it)
If a parent is into movies the kid will be into movies. But I guess that most people just aren't that into movies, which may somewhat explain Kunz's & your students.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:

How many 16 year olds on the planet are going to sit through a 2.5 hour, diliberately paced, French film? Look, I love the movie. Kunz should see it ASAP. His student probably shouldn't watch it for another 5-6 years, or until he's seen enough heist films to put it in the proper context. That's not a movie for a 16 year old trying to get into movies..

I sat through it, and loved it. I was about 18 at the time. I think it's good to include one foreign language film, to give the kid a taste of cinema that exists outside of America. I would save the Bergman, the Rohmer, the Godard for later.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

How many 16 year olds on the planet are going to sit through a 2.5 hour, diliberately paced, French film? Look, I love the movie. Kunz should see it ASAP. His student probably shouldn't watch it for another 5-6 years, or until he's seen enough heist films to put it in the proper context. That's not a movie for a 16 year old trying to get into movies..

I sat through it, and loved it. I was about 18 at the time. I think it's good to include one foreign language film, to give the kid a taste of cinema that exists outside of America. I would save the Bergman, the Rohmer, the Godard for later.

I still don't think that's the right foreign movie to use...in fact, the best beginner foreign movie I can think of is Run Lola Run....aw crap, I gotta do my list now:

-Run Lola Run
-Terminator 2
-Pulp Fiction
-The Lion King
-Wall-E
-12 Angry Men
-Apocalypse Now
-Alien
-King Kong '33
-Goodfellas
-Robocop
-Field of Dreams

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:36 pm
Producer

I think we're hitting upon a good sub-discussion for this thread, but I think we're couching it in slightly incorrect terms. If you were to introduce someone to world cinema, which choices would you make and for which places? "Foreign language" is sort of putting the cart before the horse, and besides, so far it's been used as a synonym for Euro-cinema.

Why not start with Asian cinema? The Seven Samurai would be a great introduction. Everybody loves the Seven Samurai.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
I think we're hitting upon a good sub-discussion for this thread, but I think we're couching it in slightly incorrect terms. If you were to introduce someone to world cinema, which choices would you make and for which places? "Foreign language" is sort of putting the cart before the horse, and besides, so far it's been used as a synonym for Euro-cinema.

Why not start with Asian cinema? The Seven Samurai would be a great introduction. Everybody loves the Seven Samurai.

I wouldn't start someone with a four goddamn hour black and white film. I like the Seven Samurai okay, but I don't think you guys understand the youth of today at all

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:53 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I say if you're going to show them a foreign language film, make it a John Woo film or something like that, that'll be more likely to interest teens then a Goddard film.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 pm