Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie. 
Producer

Post Re: Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie.
NotHughGrant wrote:
I have to disagree. The film is remarkably lifeless to say it has a giant ape in it.

It's just a bad film throughout.

You mean Jackson's film? I have to agree, I found it incredibly boring and uninvolving and WAAAYYYYY too goddamn long, I kept saying "just end already!" I for one wish Jackson would get back to horror films, I was really dissapointed when that "Halo" film he was supposed to direct never got off the ground.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
I was going to post this in the general interviews/articles thread, but I came across this thread first and it seems to fit.

Quentin Tarantino reveals his pick for worst Quentin Tarantino movie.

I'm surprised that nobody has so much cocked an eyebrow at this. At the very least, the fact that a major and well-respected director is taking a shot at one of his own movies might be grist for discussion, as might his particular choice.

So, is he right?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
Ken wrote:
I was going to post this in the general interviews/articles thread, but I came across this thread first and it seems to fit.

I'm surprised that nobody has so much cocked an eyebrow at this. At the very least, the fact that a major and well-respected director is taking a shot at one of his own movies might be grist for discussion, as might his particular choice.

So, is he right?

I think so, Death Proof certainly did have it's share of flaws and it felt more like it was directed by one of the many Tarantino imitators in the 90s then by QT himself, sure the car chase was pretty well-done and Zoe Bell gave a great performance, but the film had serious pacing issues and some of the overly "clever" dialogue was more obnoxious and irritating then funny.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:

So, is he right?

I think it's both interesting and cool for him to do that, although I wouldn't say he takes a "shot" at the film... he simply says that on balance its the worst film he's made, and that if it's the worst film he ever makes he'll be proud.

Still, who would even say that? I admire it and I'm not surprised, really. Wouldn't QT be near the top of the list if you had to guess what major director took an unbidden "shot" at their own films? Everything he says about is correct in my mind, although I know Death Proof has major love from some corners.

So yes, I think he's right.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm
Talking about "Heaven's Gate": I just got my hands on the MGM DVD (not the Criterion BluRay). I will watch the movie spread over a few evenings - trying as much as I can to give it a chance - and post my thougts on "last movie you watched". If I like it or think it has at least some merit, I will buy the new Criterion edition.

Just to let you know. This is definitely a "Sorry I Made that one Movie" candidate.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 pm
Director

Death Proof is a good movie. However, it's a different kind of movie than what QT has usually made. Instead of taking several of his influences and making them his own, he made a straight-up grindhouse film. It was stripped-down Tarantino like we hadn't seen since Reservoir Dogs. And it works, I think.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Ken wrote:

So, is he right?

It's definitely the least of his films. I wouldn't say its bad.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 am
Producer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Ken wrote:
Ken wrote:

So, is he right?

It's definitely the least of his films. I wouldn't say its bad.

Neither would I, I just find it rather average and forgettable compared to his other films.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 am
Director

Reservoir Dogs is a good movie. It allows the actors to breathe and do their thing. Tarantino is not a great storyteller, but he knows how to make a great hangout movie. Unfortunately, with Basterds he wanted to be the storyteller. The characters have no room to breathe outside that story, which for me results in an extremely stifled 2.5 hours.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:

Loved this. Anything that involves directors talking about their work. I liked Quentin, but I think I was more fascinated by Affleck. You could tell he was flattered to be included with these respected directors.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm
Cinematographer

ram1312 wrote:
Ken wrote:

Loved this. Anything that involves directors talking about their work. I liked Quentin, but I think I was more fascinated by Affleck. You could tell he was flattered to be included with these respected directors.

Yeah, this was good stuff. I thought it was kind of telling that the other directors seemed to look to Tarantino for guidance. The moderator was asking questions and trying to keep everyone involved, but it was neat to see the other directors ask Tarantino questions when they wanted to know something.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Quote:
You mean Jackson's film? I have to agree, I found it incredibly boring and uninvolving and WAAAYYYYY too goddamn long, I kept saying "just end already!" I for one wish Jackson would get back to horror films, I was really dissapointed when that "Halo" film he was supposed to direct never got off the ground.

I think he meant the 1976 version.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 pm
Producer

I was talking about the 76. But Vex makes a fair point about Jackson's version too

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 pm
Just to let you know that I gave up watching the MGM DVD of "Heaven's Gate" after roughly one third in. I was distracted by the murky-foggy-brownish image (the "cigarette burns" before reel changes, upper right hand corner, and black hairs and dust - as opposed to just white hairs and dust - gave away the fact that the source material is an ordinary 35mm theatrical print as opposed to a neg as it should be) and the very bad sound mix where dialog is often nearly drowned out by the backgound noises.

I just ordered the new Criterion BluRay edition. I really want to give that movie a chance. Pacing may be an issue, but the theme/topic and the impeccable image composition in every shot (not to mention the great cast) deserves attention.

I have the feeling that there is a great and wonderful movie buried inside this mess, waiting to be discovered. The topic alone (self-acclaimed "true" Americans fighting off "immigrants" with extreme violence, even though their parents and/or grandparents are exactly the same) is worth at least one great movie.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Just to let you know that I gave up watching the MGM DVD of "Heaven's Gate" after roughly one third in. I was distracted by the murky-foggy-brownish image (the "cigarette burns" before reel changes, upper right hand corner, and black hairs and dust - as opposed to just white hairs and dust - gave away the fact that the source material is an ordinary 35mm theatrical print as opposed to a neg as it should be) and the very bad sound mix where dialog is often nearly drowned out by the backgound noises.

I just ordered the new Criterion BluRay edition. I really want to give that movie a chance. Pacing may be an issue, but the theme/topic and the impeccable image composition in every shot (not to mention the great cast) deserves attention.

I have the feeling that there is a great and wonderful movie buried inside this mess, waiting to be discovered. The topic alone (self-acclaimed "true" Americans fighting off "immigrants" with extreme violence, even though their parents and/or grandparents are exactly the same) is worth at least one great movie.

Bet you a dollar that those problems still appear on the Blu-Ray but even more magnified. I'm sure a great movie with that story exists....it's not Heaven's Gate. It never was Heaven's Gate. It will never be Heaven's Gate. Give up now, life is too short...especially yours old man ;) ;) ;)

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:06 am
patrick wrote:
Bet you a dollar that those problems still appear on the Blu-Ray but even more magnified. I'm sure a great movie with that story exists....it's not Heaven's Gate. It never was Heaven's Gate. It will never be Heaven's Gate. Give up now, life is too short...especially yours old man ;) ;) ;)

Well then I'll keep the BluRay as a collector's item. After all it is an important part of cinema history -good or bad. I'll try again to work my way trough it, so at least I can talk about that flick. Yeah, life is too short, especially when you find yourself "on the other end" - the "middle part" (say: age 20 through 40, give or take) passes in a split second, blink and you miss it. Trust me.
I have already seen enough to say "Heaven's Gate" is a bad movie. Having seen the 2002 documentrary, I come to the conclusion that Michael Cimino not only became a megalomaniac and fell in love with his own work (he did have talent and it should have prevented him from that great a disaster) - I have the feeling that he was also (to put it mildly) under the influence of certain substances which led him to such a ridiculously hard and redundant working schedule and being self-centered. Add to that the completely unnecessary inclusion of totally unnecessary scenes and bad editing which favor "beautiful" camera angles and image compositions and sacrifice narrative thrust. A true artist needs to know when to let go off a single idea in favor of the big picture. Hanging on to that "beautiful shot" just because it took so long to make it, is immature. I will have to see the remaining two thirds (in acceptable quality please). And in the end my opinion will probably be: "yeah, sorry, I made that one (good) movie - that movie was "The Deer Hunter"....
Please stay tuned - I will post in "last movie you watched"

Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Please stay tuned - I will post in "last movie you watched"

I look forward to it. At the very least I've heard the Criterion blu looks incredible.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:10 pm
Producer

I actually thought "Year Of The Dragon" was a pretty good film, got no intention of seeing Heaven's Gate though.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:21 pm
Director

http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/michael-bay-apologizes-for-armageddon.html?mid=imdb

Surpriserd that Armageddon is the film he'd apologize for. Pearl Harbor he owes us an apology for. Armageddon was far from great. But it was way better than prety much anything Bay's done since.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm
Director

Armageddon is tied with The Rock as my favorite Michael Bay movie. Disappointed in him for apologizing for it.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next